Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

BENZARTs Carvings, FIRST thread 04-09-2006

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 757 replies

Ben,

Is that last one laughing or crying? I look at his squinted eyes and I cant make up my mind.

Wonderful as always.

I'm with Doug, I really love the curve to the head dress. Beautiful work (again) Ben!!!

The curve, the curve! Yes, I love it too. Also that repeated diamond pattern looks really nice. Hmmmm... and how are the others coming?

Aaron

B

Hewey, thanks for the props,
Sam, they will all be in TC'rs Museums of course, Thanks, I'm getting carried away on this one, it's being very demanding and when I object to something, the little bugger Bites me, so i'm a slave..
Thanks SwampFire and PolyPop. His expression is ever changing but just about done.
Rodeo and Finkdad, I'm just trying to make this one better than the last. Every time I take a macro picture, I see all the stuff not visible to normal magnifier and I have to go deeper to clean it up.
MonkyMan, I think he's wanting you to think he's laughing to put you at ease so you won't notice he's jumping on you for the kill.
Machtiki, thanks, yes the curve is just different and adds difficulty but adds interest and movement too.
Aarons thanks, the others are mostly sitting around watching if they can. I think they can't wait too to see him done. I'll be glad when he is done, he's too over-powering. its ike a love-hate relationship, you love carving it and watching it unfold, but you don't want to finish it and end the feeling.
Thanks again Everyone.

Benz, there's not many more superlatives that i can add to the growing list, but your work is astounding. thanks for not only the carving lessons and inspiration, but also for being one of those rare, genuine nice guys.

B

Aww, this is where you make me just blush.
Thanks. You know all you guys have inspired me too with your props and praise, sometimes I feel unworthy of it all but it keeps me trying to carve better and better.
HappyHappyHappy

T

Man looks great. Hope you keep carving. Do you sketch them out first on paper or straight to the wood?

B

Thanks Thantos, I usually draw it right out on the wood. Sometimes I'llreduce a picture down to the working size so I can get the perportions closer.. As the carving progresses most of the drawing goes away. I usually maintain a center line though.
Thanks again for all the good words.

I don't want to make you blush...but
Ben...pleeeze keep me on the list....
spendid as usual

Amazing work...I love the half squat and the cute little rounded bottom. So incredibly sweet. You must have the patience of a saint.

B

Thanks Conga, you are on the list and actually coming up pretty soon.
Tikitam, thanks for noticing such a small butt. without a wise crack.(ha) I don't have patience and saint? I don't think so but I'll take it anyway.
Worked a bit on this guy today. Just refined it here and there. worked on the body some. Didn't leave myself too much room for it either, but it's getting there. Soon I'll be done with this guy.

More to come in a day or two.

Fantastic. Can't wait to see it finished.

Aloha Benz & Fil-

Zebra Wood, Bamboo, Bar.

No tiki tiki, but jungle jungle!!!

Benzboo

B

Hey BenBooman, Where did you find a piece of Zebra wood that size and do you still have your right arm?? That is such Beautiful wood and of coursehaving you create a bar from it makes it absolutely Primo. Thanx BamBen.

Aloha Benz-

It's Zebra Skin laminated on a 4x8 sheet. Still very $pensive stuff.

(attn PETA people. It's wood, not the zoo animal)

I bow to both of you.

Love that zebra bar, Bamben!

Hey, Benzie. That Lono is frankly amazing. Have you settled on a finish? Or still kicking it around?

It looks so real that it's kind of creepy. I hope you know I mean no insult whatsoever. It's just wierd; it looks like an actual little, grimacing tiki guy with a cute butt. Unreal.

Your thread is bigger than everyones put together.

Your a God!

Love the last piece as all the rest.

Are you ready? Are you? Here comes hurricane season again! I moved to central Florida but that really doesn't help much as we saw last year. It's just not the coast that's dangerous anymore! Good luck to you. To all of us Florida peeps.

I agree with Finkdaddy, He looks like he is ready leap off his perch and kick some ass.

Thanks Ben and Bamben for being so inspirational with your amazing creations.

B

Hey BEnBo, this is benz, lets get that JT an while he's bowed down, hit him a few with that giant penis he carries around then we'll split all the dough that falls outts his pockets, SHHH.OH HI JT, Thanks for the comps
Aloha station, thanks, but I'm afraid yu'll have to wait like the rest of us.

Aarons about the finish I Was kinking it aroung and it fell into the mahogany stain so I stained some of it that color cause I was tired of kicking it around anyway.

Finky, watch how you talk about this guy, or he gets mad and may break a leg with a smile on his face.

FLOUNDERart, where ya been, welcome back itz great to see you around here and there and Rodeotiki watch out, he's practicing jumpin outta trees and doing bodily harm upon tikihaters and he's laughing all the way. He's laughin in the air, on the ground, everywhere he hits you can hear that long low growling laugh, so watch out

He is really not ready for stain yet but half of himis so I stained half. Not sure Im going to leave the teeth unstained yet. I just had to see how it would look.
Enjoy

[ Edited by: Benzart on 2005-05-19 19:54 ]

D

benzart! amazing work.. i felt your carving spirit at Oasis.. many folks were wearing pendants you made.. "Tiki Bling" is what we were calling it.

i should have tied a rope around my Moai to wear ~ it would have been heavy, but it would have been the blingyist

B

Well next time you need to do it. Definately be the biggest, baddest benzart pendanr there!
Thanks Dogbytes.

Ben - that guy is looking wickedly FINE! He looks like he could tear up someone's shins and not bat an eye!

Welcome back too, Flounder. Good to have you check in. Make it more often! Everyone can just meet here in Ben's thread! :wink:

Ben, that looks great. I like the teeth a different color. I always enjoy seeing your new pieces. I hope the line is not too long for my pendant. If it is no worries.

B

This is about the last update before he is totally done.
Sam,Thanks and I think you are right, this guy is gonna be a tough one. he is already tearing me up a finger at a time. Never has a carving bitten me as mush as this guy. He's gonna go down kicking.
Yes we can just start meeting here. Once this reaches 50 pages I think I'll start a new page, it's too big.
Swampfire thanks. I think I'll leave his teeth white for that gleeming smile.

Dont give me no lip

He's all done but 1/2 the body and the base

K

wow! that is cool and bigger than I thought. Another perfect carving.

WOW! Benz he looks too cool. Love the detail in the headdress... The tounge is so fine.. One day soon Ill try something smaller...

Ben, It's time you have a coffee table book of your work (past and present) published. You just need to get a stack of your pics under the nose of a publisher and they'll take care of the rest. I'm saying this because I want a coffee table book of your work.

beeeee-u-tee-full! I think the picture of you and him, having a stare down, should be on the cover of your book. Yes, you're doing a book. :)

this guy is awesome ben! he reminds a little of the grinch. NOt sure why, but he has that dr. suess-y feel to him.

I can't get over how detailed he is. Just perfect -and the white teeth really add some character to an already character ridden carving.

too cool, ben...too cool.

Happy happy Happy!

Classic pic!!!!

The Benzart Rocks!

B

SOOO Benzarts Tiki Bling huh,
Keigs, he IS pretty big I guess but not perfect. He has been very difficult tho
Thantos, thanks, the headdress is larger than normal and very deep which makes it different. You can do these guys this small and you don't need big wood!
Raffertiki,I know a lot of you have mentioned my"Coffee Table" Book but there are requirements. You need a stack of Hi Res photos to slide under the publishers nose. I have some Decent pix but not the quality Needed to do this.If anyone could do it or help me do it, that person would be our own BigBroTiki. How about it Sven, possibility???

Thanx Surfintiki, I think he won the staredown

Polynesiac, yes he has Some look about him that makes him breathe and be just strange.

RevBBen, I Knew I shouldn't have added that picture, Thanks.

B

Well I Finally have some pix of the Lono #61 complete, Finished as in Done, as in "You're gonna miss me when I'm gone. This one has taaken foreverThanks for all the incouragement I got from all you TC'rs, you guys are great.

[ Edited by: Benzart 2005-07-29 15:34 ]

Bravo Ben, Bravo..

Incredible work Benzart! One day I'll get the courage to try one with a head dress. Until then, I'll just admire yours.

Hey Ben- This guy truly kicks butt! You know, by the way you've spoken of your experience carving him, it sounds like he really does kick butt. The detail is fantastic down to his whitened pearly whites. I'll bet you'll be glad to stuff him in a box and send him off! Lovely work anyhow!

http://www.samgambino.com

K

simply put "awesome"...kirby

INCREDIBLE!

Thanks so much Ben - Nina & I can't wait to get him! He will be in the display case under the lights for sure. Now maybe some of my friends who don't really "get" tiki finally will. It's too hard to explain, so I'll just show 'em my little piece of Benzart Mana & they'll understand.

What detail and effort. This must truly be one of your best pieces yet! The repeated diamond patterns, pearly white chompers, lifelike hands & feet (with nails!), the different color stains, & that HEADPIECE all attest to your incredible carving skills. I could go on & on, but instead I'll just say

MAHALO!

Aaron

Words fail me Ben... a truely beautiful and animated piece. A master right here among us.

looks like this guy is ready to pounce into
partying at A-A's house...great detail...love the feet...and everything else.

F
foamy posted on Tue, May 24, 2005 4:53 AM

Hey, Ben. Wow. Very nice.

TG

Amazing Ben. You continue to astonish my eyes. Beautiful work.

Aaron you have a masterpiece there. Display it well......

G.

I'm sure Lono is thrilled.

The rest of us will just have to keep practicing.

Good lord Ben, what can I say that hasn't been said. Almost makes me want to throw away all my knives. You have truely outdone yourself. Amazing.

Cool Ben, I love how this carving has has " attitude and humor " shinning trough it!

Ben, that is fantastic, you're a true inspiration, thankyou.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 757 replies