Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

BENZARTs Carvings, FIRST thread 04-09-2006

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 757 replies

K

Here is the picture Ben had to go by. I think he nailed it.

B

Here are some more better pix of #51, the Hungry tiki
see if you can see the Evile in his eye and watch out for it

That piercing stare and wild-eyed look...that scaly, snakelike appearance and serpentine head...my kind of piece! Great work, Ben.

Benzart, that detail is just amazing considering the scale of the tiki. Those microscopic close ups really tell the tale. After seeing those tiny little Dremel tools from the your "Tools Carvers Use" post, I think I'm starting to get a feel for the amount of effort and concentration it must take to do these carvings. And...it probably helps having about 500 tikis under your belt. Wow! I'd love to just be able to carve that kind of detail in a full scale tiki. And no close up shots would be allowed.

B

Thanks sam,Aaron,keigs ,Octane and everyone else who gave me props for this tiki
A goodnight I must say to all and to all goodnight

[ Edited by: Benzart on 2004-09-01 06:29 ]

G

your work is too much for my eyes to handle! I love it all!

H

Well, I better start saving money for my next piece. I just might want more than one. Ben you are the greatest of them all.

T
TNTiki posted on Sat, Sep 4, 2004 6:59 PM

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 16:14 ]

Ben this tiki is amazing. He really does have an evil eye. Your carvings all have a unique personality...each one seems to have an aura not unlike the soul of a human. You are truly gifted, my friend.

that's really eerie.....

K

wooooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!! I recieved it a few days ago.. better then I imagined... Thanks Ben

Damn, Ben...where have I (been?). You inspire me, man. Gotta get caught up so I can carve soon. Your stuff continues to be awesome. Among the best here if you ask me.

B
R

Hey ben, How are you. hope you and your family are safe and sound .
take care.

i will now begin to pray to the tiki gods everyday that you will still have something left to sell at hukilau ....mahalo for sharing all your wonderful hard work with us benzart...

B

Thanks to All for the kind words. It has been a rough ten days, Nine of which were without Power. Nasty, Terrible. But its finally over and after cleanup I will be back to work. It will take a few days to clear out my garage but when I do I'll be carving up a storm.
happy happy happy

B

Finally, I'm on my Own computer. I still need to set uo the e-mail accounts and import the addressbook, but here I iz.I'll have some carvings soon.
I need all TC'rs who are on my list to tell me what you wanted. I have some of it butmost of the records were on the c drive which is toasted,so I need to rebuild my list. Thanks for your patience, All of you thru these severly trying times. HukiLau is NEAR,,Yeah

T

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 16:19 ]

MD

Carving up a storm.....very fitting for all you Floridians........
Just amazing, the work you do. Beautiful, .
It seems even better than before, and I didn't think it was possible.
How do find ways to improve on your never ending perfection?

B

Thanks Mr Dale and everyone else who continue to believe my work is so good. I may believe it one day, but until then I see Much room for improvement.
Thanks again.

B

Hi guys,
I finally felt up to a bit of work yesterday and today. I put together a Bamboo stand to hang my pendants at HukiLau. It is 2'6" tall and 4 1/2" thick. After I sell the pendants the stand will be for sale also.

Ben, That thing is smokin'! Great work... It would be great to hang utensils or even neckties from - not that I wear them, but I would start if I owned that piece! Is that the largest piece you've carved since you started carving again? They just get better!

B

These are some samples that are flat and could be done white NOT MY Carving.

Also see if you can find some pictures of what you would like.
I DID NOT Do this, I was just showing this pic to someone. Thanks.......

:10 ]

[ Edited by: Benzart on 2004-10-10 19:17 ]

B

Sam it is the largest but the carving is only about10 inches tall. It's just a Quick , down and dirty job. I kinda like it though.
I have some good sized logs from the storm so you will be seeing larger things from me in the future. However the smaller pendants will be my main stay I think.
Later

Wow! Just imagine all the people standing around, waiting for the last pendant to be sold so they can have a shot at the stand. That looks really nice.

B

Thanks FinkDaddy, I imagine it will be sold before the pendants are gone. I just need it till then.

glad to see your back to your masterfull ways. please continue to show us green sticks how it is done. Love the stand, awesome as usuall.

so glad i got a walnut moai from benz at hukilau, number 48....amazing stuff, great to see so many of his works there, and to get to chat with a man whom is so passonite about his art was great......

Ben, great meeting you at Hukilau. If no one has offered to buy the pendant stand yet I would love to purchase it from you. I think I even mentioned to you in person how cool I thought it was.

B

Thanks SwampFire. I enjoyed meeting you also. I had an Incredibly good time at the 1 HukiLau day I attended having met so many TC Ohana.
You are the first one who spoke up for the Stand so PM me since I still don't have email. I'm working from a Modem, using Generator power, and going in SLOW Motion with regular dial-up. Man it Hurts.
Glad to be home ith no wind though.

Swamp Fire, you lucky dog! That's such a cool piece.

I'm so jealous of all the TC folks who made it to Hukilau. Even though it was cut short, it sounds like it was a memorable event. I'd love to meet you Benz and all of the other East Coast TC artists & tiki lovers someday. Maybe Hukilau 2005? Vacation planning begins...

Ben,
Mahalo for making my awesome ebony-like Tangaroa pendant.

I'm glad I got to your Hukilau booth early to meet you and your wahine and buy this piece. Great to finally put a face with a house as well, if you know what I mean. Let's get togther at the Hawaiian Inn or the Wai-Tiki soon.
Aloha,
KG

BTW: Your notebook full of carving photos was fantastic.

[ Edited by: Kailuageoff on 2004-09-30 12:20 ]

B

Thanks Kailuageoff, It was my pleasure, I made that one especially for you, I just didn't know it then. We will definately have to get together soon, either place sounds good
Aaron we missed you too at HukiLau. Now is the time to plan to go to next years HukiLau. Just make up your mind. BE THERE. Repeat after me. I, I, Aaron, Aaron, Will bee at HukiLau2005, will be at HukiLau 2005.
Now, go make reservations and you will be there,.

Do you mean Aaron's akua? I am Aaron too, and I met you and your wife. I was with my wife and parents. My wife and I looked through your book you had there, and your work is just phenomenal. I still need to get one of your incredible pendants. I am good friends with Tim(Mcdougall) and I absolutely loved the Moai you did for him.

Aaron

Y

What kind of carving tools do you use or can you point me in the direction of a good site to get a few? I have been wanting to try wood carving for a while and your work is very inspiring. Great stuff!

B

Sorry Aaron (Ragin'Rarotongan), I was poking fun at Aaron's Aku.
I remember meeting you.Thanks for reminding me. It was SO Nice to meet the TC'rs who were there. I only wish we could have stayed longer.
Yumyumkid, I use many different tools: a Foredomwith many jewelers tools and bits. Some woodworking bits fit it also. I use Knives, the Hook blade being the Most used. I use chisels, gouges, files, scrapers, many grits of sandpaper. What ever removes the wood the best.
Here are a few links to my Favorite suppliers
http://www.amanatool.com/timberline/catalog.htm

http://www.contenti.com/catalog.html

http://www.warrencutlery.com/indexb.htm

http://www.woodcarverssupply.com/store/

http://www.woodcraft.com/Woodcraft/assets/html/homepage.asp?URLCheck=1

http://www.pearson-jewelry.com/index.asp?catalog=2

This should get you started. Take a look at this thread, it will help a lot.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=10451&forum=7&37

good luck and have fun AND Don't forget to take pictures and Share them here with everyone elses.

[ Edited by: Benzart on 2004-10-07 18:26 ]

C

On 2004-09-22 22:59, Benzart wrote:

This is one beautiful piece Benz. Both the whale and the whale rider so looks so happy and content. Such soft lines too. This one just radiates that "peaceful easy feeling" Very nice. On a separate but kind of related note, check out the story about this whale rider:

http://www.marinij.com/Stories/0,1413,234%257E26642%257E2439331,00.html

whoowee! that must of been one crazy ride!

Chongolio

-- I believe that our Heavenly Father invented the monkey because he was disappointed in man."
... Mark Twain

Come explore http://www.lost-isle.com

[ Edited by: Chongolio on 2004-10-07 19:23 ]

"What ever removes the wood the best." I had a feeling that you would say this.

I did a little research on Koa trees and decided to buy some off eBay. As for the tools I have a lot of ceramic tools with some stainless steel dental tools that I found in my garage (yeah, creepy) mixed in. Before I buy anything, I'll see if any of these work since I'm used to them. Thanks for all your help and let's hope I don't cut myself right away!

B

Thanks yumyumkid, hope you don't get your first "Yiki Bite" right away.
Chongo, yes that is a nice whale rider. It is Not one that I have done yet, but I probably will in the future. The whale's expression is my kind of thing. I Love it.
That Spyros guy who got taken for a ride by the whale is One Lucky dude. I wonder if he knows the significance of that short ride???
Thanks for sharing that story.

[ Edited by: Benzart on 2004-10-08 06:14 ]

B

qI just spoke with Ed from Boston, who has a largr Physical fitness business and is looking to build a Tiki room and is looking for several tikis. My suggestion was tohave several TC artists do them and he will be here sometime in the near future to check everyone out and to make friends and get tiki. More later.

B

Wow I'm all the way down to the bottom of the page. This is what happens when you go away, your thread goes away. Have most of the clean-up done and will start rebuildingfences and stuff this week. Will have some good news one of these days, stick around.

On 2004-10-21 21:11, Benzart wrote:
Wow I'm all the way down to the bottom of the page.

You Benz!!

Not anymore!!

AH!!! the master Bens together!!!
Great shot, ben...and ben.
thanks for sharing!

Benzart - glad things are coming around again. I can't wait to see what you have in store for us on TC!!!

What a great pic! Thanks for posting it.

B

Yo Ben, I've never had a better picture. What can be better that TWO Benz? The 2 together. Thanks for posting that pic Ben, It was an Honor meeting you and Mrs Boo too.

Ben I will be in Port st. Lucie next week is there anyplace I could go to look at and purchase your work?

B

Pete, you can come to my house and I will be glad to show you works in progress and pictures. Email me at [email protected]

Oops! Dammit I musta somehow bumped this one up to the top. Sorry, Ben. I know you're on vacation right now...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 757 replies