Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

BENZARTs Carvings, FIRST thread 04-09-2006

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 757 replies

R

The amount of detail on these is truly stunning. I look at your carvings for insperation all the time.

B

Seems like it has been forever since my last piece. Heres # 57 done in Zebra wood. he's 4" long by 1 1/4 deep by 7/8" wide.

Looks great, as always. Love the grain, very nice colors.

M

Swweeeeet Moai! No loss of talent Ben, in fact it would appear that the break did you well indeed. Isn't zebrawood very dense?

I hookbladed some oak recently and it was discouraging until I spent enough time with it.

Your #57 is awesome sir.

Mahalo

McTiki

B

Thanks Rodeo and McTiki.
Yes the Zebrawood is very dense and I carved Most of this with Power tools. I chipped up 2 new hook blades doing the mouth alone. There is No finish on this piece, it's just polished and buffed.
Thanks again

That's a beautiful piece, Ben - the grain, surface, and design. It doesn't need any varnish. It's great to see that you're back in the saddle.

B

Thanks Sam, I'm getting there. Yes this one looks fine with no varnish or lacquer. I like it as it is.
Thanks again

Hey Ben-
I love the Zebra wood and the design is amazing!!! Keep up the great work!!! Oh yeah #56 says Hi!! Thanks for the pic's.
Later,
Spermy

B

Thanks Spermy, Tell #56 he better behaveor you'll shave him a little short between the ears. and then tell him Hi.
Sounds lke he's doing OK there, must be happy.
Thanks

beautiful benz......similar to my number 48, but that wood.....WOW!

On 2005-03-14 11:49, Benzart wrote:

I love how the grain accentuates all of the contours like a stylizd illustration. I know mine's coming up soon & getting excited!

B

Well, back to work a Little bit early don't tell my doc.
Had to do a mini Mug for TikiJungle

T
teaKEY posted on Thu, Apr 7, 2005 8:05 AM

I like this one you have up above. Was it easier to do one like that or about the same? Is that the mug coming out? Cool Ben

F

Really, really nice Ben. Of course, that sounds redundant because I can't imagine you doing anything that wasn't incredible.

Tell you what, just send me your next piece and I wont show your doctor these pics of you going against his advice. :wink:

Great Tiki. The wood grain really pops. I like the simplicity of your cuts.

How do you like using the ZebraWood? I've been working with it on the lathe and I don't like the way that the darker grain is harder that the lighter. But it sure is pretty.

F

Hey Ben, I have a question. I recently bought a piece of Pua Rosa wood. It's a dark reddish color with a really tight grain. It looks very pretty, but it's hard as hell. I'm starting to carve it, but I'm not use to the hard wood and I'm just cutting the crap out of my fingers without making much of a dent in the wood. Do you carve your really hard woods with hand tools at all, or are you just using the power stuff at this point?

B

Thanks guys. This is a Jungle Trader design that I did a mini version of for him.

teaKEY, it was easier in some ways than the Moai because there was not as much detail and harder in some because it had to look like the original.

AlohaStation, the Zebra wood is a love/hate relationship. It's really beautiful but very hard and the differences in hardness in the grain colors IS Very difficult to work with, especially where you need straight lines or fine detail. But the grail is Powerful and really gets attention.

Finky, don't make the tiki gods angry, they don't like blackmail and may come out at night and yank off your toenails, but thanks for the comps. When carving the hard wood it is better to use power tools as much as possible. This guy was done with ALL Power except for the inscription on the back. The previous one's detail was done with the hook knife mostly and I went thru a few blades. It actually looked like I was carving rocks with them.

Again this is a mug that Jungle trader has coming out so see him for the mug. Thanks again.

Glad to see your back at it. I love the simple lines of that guy. But not that easy to carve I bet.

That Zebra wood looks awesome, but I bet there aren't many carvers that can tame it. You even gave your Moai teeth!

M
McTiki posted on Thu, Apr 7, 2005 4:39 PM

It is sweet because it's simple and accurate yet sooooo Tiki and full of charachter. Keep up the mastery Ben.

B

Rodeo, I'm not "Back" at it yet, just getting my feet wet a little sooner than ole doc wants but I'm takin' it eazy
This was pretty easy to carve because I used all power tools and any carving is easy if you have the right tools.
Raffertiki, again if you have the right tools you can master ebony, The teeth for the Moai came with a saw blade for the foredom. A 1/8" circular blade, 1/32" thick.
McTiki,,again this is a Jungle Trader design that I am copying on a mini scale. You will have to ask him when the mug will be available. I'd say for Oasis. It IS a Nice looking tiki. Nice classic lines and some personality to boot

B

Heres one I have been working on for a long time and figured it was about time to finish him up. He is Black Walnut and about 4" tall.

TC

On 2005-04-08 15:08, Benzart wrote:
Heres one I have been working on for a long time and figured it was about time to finish him up. He is Black Walnut and about 4" tall.

just gorgeous. thanks for sharing your masterful works w/ us!

R

The detail on that is beyond words for me.
Simply amazing!
Who ever gets this is one lucky person.
Thanks for sharing Benzart

S
Swanky posted on Fri, Apr 8, 2005 6:03 PM

He looks like Nicholas Cage.

B

TikiChris Thanks for the props, I couldn't think of carving anything without sharing it here on TC. After all TC is responsible for my getting back to carving in Feb of 2004.

RodeoTiki, I'm not sure how amazing he is but I AM porud of how he turned out.

Swanky, I kept saying this guy looks like someone and banging my forehead with my palm but it Never came to me
Nicholas Cage, he Does look like him. That has been driving me CRAZY, Big Mahalos. You win the contest...a parrot bar with JB singingone of his worst songs.
Thanks everyone.
I'm going thru my list to see who wanted a maori moko.
Happy

C

can't say it any better than all the other
guys....just nice to see you back...

F

:o Holly crap!!! I am so proud to know you. That is amazing.

#58 is awesome Ben. I swear I love your work!!!
Later,
Scott

[ Edited by: The Sperm Whale on 2005-04-08 23:00 ]

V
virani posted on Sat, Apr 9, 2005 9:25 AM

unbelievable

Museum quality - no question.

Trader Woody

O
Octane posted on Sat, Apr 9, 2005 5:16 PM

just one word discribes it, INCREDIABLE

Whoa!

:) :) :)

Could this be Queequeg? I still don't get how you carve those tiny little dots. If you guys haven't noticed those dots are convex, not concave. It looks awesome Ben

B

Thanks everyone for the props. I have to agree with Swank, he looks like Nicholas Cage more than anyone. Definately not mean looking enough for Queequeg.
Raffertiki, here is my secret tool for those "little dots". It is a jewelers tool either for engraving or for putting a fancy edgearound a stone setting. For me it works well on wood, although difficult to control and takes a lot of strength to roll it around in circles.

Hope this explains how the dots are added.
Thanks again everyone.

M

Simply Masterful. You are the man!

Mahalo!

B

Back down to Normal stuff, here is a new Moai, # 60, Mahogany, 3 1/2" X 1 1/2"

M

Sweet! Tireless perfection again sir Benzart!

Mahalo

On 2005-04-20 06:36, Benzart wrote:
Back down to Normal stuff, here is a new Moai, # 60, Mahogany, 3 1/2" X 1 1/2"

You say "Back down to normal stuff" and you come up with this?! Normal stuff is a plain log that has a barely recognizable tiki face on it. #60 is not ordinary, he's extraordinary!

Top Notch again Ben!! Looks great!!! This MOI #60 looks like he's pretty happy!!! Thank you for posting pic's.
Later,
Scott

Ben everything you carve is absolutely beautiful. glad to see you carving again and thanks for sharing your techniques!

THat nicholas cage/maori warrior carving is OUTSTANDING!!!! TW is right - museum quality all the way.

B

Thanks guys. There are so many pieces I want to carve and so many I need to carve, I don't know where to start, so I'll just keep chippin' away.
HappyHappyHappy

Hey Ben - what a fine encore piece - I see you're back kicking! I like a good doorknob-head Moai. You've added some expression and personality to his face too. Very nice to see you back carving in such fine form.

B

Thanks Sam. I actually thought about adding a keyhole to the top of the doorknob. Wasn't sure anyone would catch it though. I might still do it.
Thanks again

Once again, Ben, i am astounded by your carving skills.

Ben, your bar is set so high, one of your average par-for-the-course tikis would be a real achievement for most of us carvers who post here. Glad to see you're back on stride.

On 2005-04-20 10:10, Benzart wrote:
Thanks Sam. I actually thought about adding a keyhole to the top of the doorknob. Wasn't sure anyone would catch it though. I might still do it.
Thanks again

:)

#60 sure has personality. He'd be the like of the party at Easter Island.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 757 replies