Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

BENZARTs Carvings, FIRST thread 04-09-2006

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 757 replies

Ben, I just received mine today, and I couldn't be more pleased. Holding these things in my hand is like holding something from King Tut's tomb..the artistry is that good, and the pieces are that impeccably carved. Thanks so much for the fine work, Ben.

Keep him busy, everyone. You won't be disappointed!

http://www.samgambino.com

K

ASK ME!

anyone ask ME if I am NOT the next STOKED guy to have a LIGHTS A'BLAZING SKULL carved by this guy Ben Davis hanging on my spine...someone ask me please

YES BD!
YYYEEESSS!!!

Holy MoKo Benzman, those last two are AWESOME. The gods have bless those 9.5 fingers of yours. I got to see the one you did for Jungle Trader and needless to say it was one of the coolest necklaces I have ever had the pleasure of peepin at.

Chongolio

B

Thank You VERY Much

G
GECKO posted on Wed, Mar 31, 2004 2:11 PM

Check out da lights! dats schweeeta den a Mai Tai in Honolulu! Love my Maori! U keep us amaized brah!

B

Thanx Gecko..
Here is the latest update of the Hale Tiki. Only 11 more miles of Moko to go

Man-oh-Man, I am constantly amazed by your talent Ben! Excellent, Excellent Work....

O

Ben, We went to the mail box today and what did we find.....Holy F****ng,HEART ATTACK, those are really beautiful, the detail is awsome...I keep waiting for it to say something!!! THANKS again, Hope your surgery goes well...can't wait to get back on the list!

B

Thanks OnaTiki, I'm glad you liked them.
This next one is from figureg Chocolate Maple. It is very hard wood but slices like cheeze..Old dried tough cheeze. It takes detail though like carving butter. Once I put the first coat of finish on it I could see why the name "Cholocate" Maple. It looks like light choc...I believe BigBroTiki was nextin line so its his unless he wants to wait for the next Mahogany one

Let me know what you think

[ Edited by: Benzart on 2004-04-01 20:17 ]

G
GECKO posted on Thu, Apr 1, 2004 8:25 PM

wat do you think wat we think! we think it's all good!

Wow, those carvings are extremely good. The latest has a real air of malevolence about him. That you can get such character from carving is quite extraordinary.

I was reading about how the Pitt Rivers Museum in Oxford had removed a couple of preserved tattoed Maori heads from display, and it struck me that it would be really interesting to compare your carvings with the preserved heads as the carvings are so life-like. Perhaps pictures of them exist somewhere on the net.

Anyway, great stuff!

Trader Woody

On 2004-04-02 01:48, Trader Woody wrote:
Wow, those carvings are extremely good. The latest has a real air of malevolence about him.

These carvings have personalities all their own. I swear that the past few nights, I've heard my two Ben Davis carvings arguing in the other room over who has the cooler tattoo.

S
sungod posted on Fri, Apr 2, 2004 8:04 AM

Those eyes! Man they look real. You are truly a master.

K
kooche posted on Fri, Apr 2, 2004 6:30 PM

DUDE! i just ripped the box open and flipped the switch...i'll have to have this thing on every time i head to the tiki ti as well as for my opening...i am most grateful and in shock and awe by your facility brother...SO COOL! i can't praise your handy work enough.

mirror mirror on the wall...who's the most lit up and tikiest of them all?

"why Ben D is...everybody knows that"

many many mahalos man...i LOVE it!

B

Kooche, your happiness is all the thanks I need, Thanks.

K
kooche posted on Fri, Apr 2, 2004 6:52 PM

thank you...my happiness is all i need too...i guess i need my health too....and my little girls and my wife's...and this SUPER MOJO POWERED FIRE INFUSED HEAD you made!

thank you thank you thank you sir! never taking it off!

B

The Battery is a 12 volt "N" Size available at Radoi Shack. Sounds like you'll be burnin thebattery at both ends.
Love it.

Damn, Miles, I would love to see your eyes light up as you light up your Benz-head's eyes...
but I have booksigning duty at Trader Vic's in Atlanta that evening.

B

I don't think you need to wait that long. I think he's workin on his 3rd battery. I think he wears it to bed All lit up so he can wake up Bright-eyed and bushy tailed.
I would have loved to have been there when he opened the box...

B

Where is everyone today?
Here is a peek at #21. Still need to finish detail
on face and lacquer, but he's mahogany and 2 " tall.

B

Trader Woody,
Thanks,there are quite a few pictures and drawings of the old Maoris and their Mokos, or tattoos. I have many pictures and I would never try to copy any of the as those guys get angry when you do that. I try to just give an idea of the flow of the lines and markings.

B

Here is the Sneeky Tiki for CultJam finally finished.
He is #21.
Sorry I was unable to finish other pieces before surgery tomorrow, but I'm sure when I get back I'll be better yet.Thanks

C

Ben, that's great!! Hope you are recovering fully and quickly, thanks so much!

What a cute little guy. Hardly fearsome but is that his dinner he's holding or a baby Sneaky?

BTW, the check IS in the mail.

B

Thanks Cultjam. I'm not sure what he is holding. It has been described as a Security teddy bear type thing or a Meal. It looks like a bite is already taken outm of it.It could also be a Baby sneeky. I guess thats why its a SneakyTiki.

B

Heres # 22 pic taken on a scanner

T

On 2004-04-17 15:36, Benzart wrote:
Heres # 22 pic taken on a scanner

Ben, keep me in mind if you carve anymore of these, please.

Ben, as always, these new ones are simply killer. I saw in your shutterfly pics that you've done some wooden indians in your day, too. They are SO COOL, as I'm a cigar store indian freak as well.

http://www.samgambino.com

B

Thanks Sam. Yes I have done a few Indians. The 10 foot one I did in New Jersey turned out great for the short 10 days I spent on it. I agonized on what to have the red man holding as I refused to give him the obligatory Cigars or Tomahawk. Finally came up with the Burned Treaty papers.

My grandmother is a fullblood Penobscott
indian from Caribou Main.

That is so cool, Ben. Many that you see now do not have the fine detail work. I have a 4' one which was supposedly sold as a souvenir in the western US 30-40 years ago, but who knows... The detail is not nearly as good as yours.

I shall wear this with pride.
Ben Rocks!

I love your freakin' necklaces, Benz!

R
rocky posted on Tue, Apr 20, 2004 4:05 PM

Ben, your carvings are incredable! I wish I had known about you before I sent to hawaii for my other mask. When I move into the next house, I'll be in touch!

Rocky

Don't get me wrong, I'm completely happy with mine, but this one is just as sweet.

B

Thanks everyone for the comps. Just what zI need to make my head bigger.
I will be at this yeatrs Hukilay, Hopefully with a few boxes of carvings. Anyway Anyone who would like to trade in their LOW # benzarts for higher #'s, I will be glad to accomidate you. there may be a price difference, but I want everyone to be happy.
Also did you know JungleTrader has a couple benzarts on his website for sale If anyone is interested..http://www.tikijungle.com/tikiart.htm check it out

[ Edited by: Benzart on 2004-04-20 20:43 ]

B

You guys know Jungle Trader has my #s 4 and 6 for sale on his web site? http://www.tikijungle.com/

I also have #s 20 and 23 available

and

This is the last shot before I dropped my camera and demolished it.

[ Edited by: Benzart on 2004-04-22 11:27 ]

You rock Ben!

Man, did you ever think you would be doing this again? It must be very strange for you.

Keep up the excellent work bro!

B

Thanks Flounder. No I realy thought I would Never be able to do this again. The Thumb repairs did the final mechanical and TC did the rest.

Great carvings Ben, I would definitely like to meet you sometime and have a drink, seeing that we're both in south florida. I am also glad that your surgery was successful, and that you are feeling better. I will save my $ to buy one of your necklaces at hukilau.

Aaron

Cool Ben, great to hear the doc did good as well as the Tiki community.

B

I Finally installed a new Harddrive and am back on line. I am carving only 1 hour a day. Finished this Maori last week

There are about 5 peeps left on the list, Bigbro is next.
Glad to be back, Missed you guys

O

Well, we're glad your back. Another awsome carving! take it easy though, don't upset the docs..We visited a cut and dried hardwood shop last weekend,and saw many wood cut offs that screamed for you to carve them..is there any that you are looking for?

B

I love All kinds of wood. I'll pay postage if you send a box. Do you know what kinds of wood?

O

They had this amazing wood that we've had our eye on for many years. It's called Purple heart and it's from Africa. As it's name states it is purple. A very deep, rich purple. They also had all the normal (cherry, maple, curly maple, mahogany). They also carry lots of exotic wood. The zebra wood (also from Africa) is interesting although most if it was 1x6 planking. Don't know if that's thick enough for you to carve. The had a great scrap bin that I was going to dig through and send your way. Just didn't know which woods are too hard.

G
GECKO posted on Thu, May 6, 2004 8:04 PM

Welcome back my friend! missed your beautiful work.

B

Thanks Gecko, I, too have missed yours, Thabnkz

Great work, Ben, and welcome back. The place just isn't the same without you. I'm glad you're feeling better, too. Also, make sure I'm on that list too. I'm starting to get an itch for that carved shrunken head!

B

yep the shrunken head is on the list. Sounds like too much fun to pass up

Ben, I'm glad to see your setback hasn't affected your talent. Can't wait to see the shrunken head.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 757 replies