Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Kelly Hiphipahula'sTonga Hut Parties 2009-2012 Farewell pg.42

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 640 replies

Val and I just flew back from Florida (and yes, boy are our arms tired). While we had a great time, we've now missed 2 Sundays in a row and that just won't do. Already looking forward to next Sunday!

kevin

We've missed ya's both! Get on back here y'all now hear me! I wanna hear all about y'all's trip! :wink:

On 2011-11-14 00:49, heylownine wrote:
Val and I just flew back from Florida (and yes, boy are our arms tired). While we had a great time, we've now missed 2 Sundays in a row and that just won't do. Already looking forward to next Sunday!

kevin

And that's why I didn't take a group photo this past Sunday...Something was missing.

BUT...I will be taking an extra special group photo (or two) this Sunday Nov. 20th!
Krisdrama will be finishing the Grog Log, and she will become an official BASTARD!!!
All bastards and friends welcome, we want to welcome Krisdrama with style! And, a nice Hawaiian punch! :wink:

Aloha Friends! Happy Holidays to you all! Just a reminder to come on out to the Hut this Sunday as Tonga Hut embarks on yet another "Exotica Sunday" This Sunday Tonga Hut's Drinking Society, the Loyal Order of the Drooling Bastard Honors it's newest inductee, Krisdrama (Christine) Congratulations on completing every cocktail in Beachbum Berry's Grog Log! We will as always bring you a Ton of Fun and Rum! Cocktail specials starting at only $5.00 Beers at only $2.00 with Kelly Hiphipahula, DJ, Snacks and all things Tiki!
Doors Open at 4:00 and will carry on until 8:00 p.m. Sunday!

Don't forget Tonga Hut is open 7 days a week with Happy Hour Everyday until 8:00pm Sign up to complete Jeff Beachbum Berry's GROG LOG be a "Bastard" See you at the Tonga Hut!

Tonga Hut Since 1958

L.A.'s Oldest Tiki Bar
12808 Victory Blvd.
North Hollywood, CA 91606-3013
Avail. for Special Events @ the Hut or on Location
Also avail. for location shoots

[ Edited by: tonga hut 2011-11-16 01:00 ]

G
GROG posted on Wed, Nov 16, 2011 12:56 AM

Loyal, Royal. What's the difference?

Don't let Tonga Tom see you calling it the "Royal" Order of the Drooling Bastard or he'll smack you down like he smack GROG for calling it the Society of the Drooling Bastard

Aloha Friends! Happy Holidays to you all! Just a reminder to come on out to the Hut this Sunday as Tonga Hut embarks on yet another "Exotica Sunday" This Sunday Tonga Hut Presents DJ Bigtikidude! Plus!, Tonga Hut Drinking Society, the Loyal Order of the Drooling Bastard Honors it's newest inductee, Krisdrama (Christine) Congratulations on completing every cocktail in Beachbum Berry's Grog Log! We will as always bring you a Ton of Fun and Rum! Cocktail specials starting at only $5.00 Beers at only $2.00 with Kelly Hiphipahula, DJ, Snacks and all things Tiki!
Doors Open at 4:00 and will carry on until 8:00 p.m. Sunday!

Don't forget Tonga Hut is open 7 days a week with Happy Hour Everyday until 8:00pm Sign up to complete Jeff Beachbum Berry's GROG LOG be a "Bastard" See you at the Tonga Hut!

ALSO JUST IN : This week DJ Bigtikidude will be spinning your favorite Exotica, Surf & Lounge! Great to have you Jeff, We are excited!!

Tonga Hut Since 1958
12808 Victory Blvd. North Hollywood

[ Edited by: Hiphipahula 2011-11-18 09:40 ]

Yeah! It'll be good to see BTD on this side of the "Orange Curtain."

Jeff, you got any songs with "bastard" in the title you can play for Krisdrama.

Kelly, Jeremy, and Tonga Hut regulars,
Thanks for having me.

Tom, yes I do!!

I will bring it.

Jeff(btd)

We are Stoked Jeff!

Today is Saturday ! I'm mixing come keep me company :)

loading up soon,
hopefully it doesn't rain for the drive up.

Jeff(btd)

T

Great having Jeff DJ tonight! Congrats Chris on your Bastardization! Awesome cocktails by Kelly, as usual! See everybody at the Grand re-opening!

That was a heck of a Sunday. Related: Is there an accelerated program for progressing through the Grog Log? The sooner Val and I can finish, the sooner I can order a Shaka Hula Bossa Nova or a Navy Grog again. :D

Mahalo all around!

Looking forward to seeing everyone at Tiki Wonderland,

kevin

My head still hurts monday night,
Damn, Kelly pours some heavy drinks.
pheeeewwwwwwww!!

Jeff(btd)

R

NICE! Excellent photos of the Tonga's Pre -Halloween (Sunday 10/30)) Tom.
SOOO happy the tooth pic came out so well. It's AWESOME!!!

Once again dude, U ROCK!!!
:)

[ Edited by: RoseRed 2011-11-25 22:01 ]

TT

Hope to see you this eve (4-8pm) at TH, Kelly will be mixing it up and I'll be spinning tunes.
Cozy up to the fireplace with a cocktail and check out the Hut's revamped look.

TT
JB

Yep.

G
GROG posted on Tue, Dec 6, 2011 9:40 AM

If you missed the Tiki Wonderland/Grand Re-opening this last weekend, then come by the Tonga Hut this Sunday when GROG plan on finishing the GROG log to join the Loyal Order of the Drooling Bastard. Too much happeneing last Saturday to finish it, so we're doing it this weekend.

Hey,
what happened to the Pic of the Sun.
when I was there DJing.
if a tree falls in the woods type of thing.
:wink:

Jeff(btd)

TT

On 2011-12-06 12:47, bigtikidude wrote:
Hey,
what happened to the Pic of the Sun.
when I was there DJing.
if a tree falls in the woods type of thing.
:wink:

Jeff(btd)

Man, I've fallen behind...the BIG one is right here BIG fella.
Yer eyeballin' the nachos & ding dongs.
http://tongatom.blogspot.com/2011/11/tonga-hut-11202011.html

Here's more photos from that night too!
Krisdrama became a BASTARD!

See you all Exotica Sunday 4-8pm GROG becomes a Bastard!!! Christmas & Holiday Cocktail Specials, DJ & more! Cheers!

Hey, Kelly. What do you use to get the flames in the scorpion bowls?

G
GROG posted on Sat, Dec 10, 2011 11:51 PM

On 2011-12-10 14:59, Big Kahuna wrote:
Hey, Kelly. What do you use to get the flames in the scorpion bowls?

Fire.

[ Edited by: GROG 2011-12-10 23:52 ]

G
GROG posted on Sat, Dec 10, 2011 11:59 PM

Join GROG and the rest of the Bastards on sunday, SUNDAY, SUNDAY as GROG finish Grog Log and join the Loyal Order of the Drooling Bastards. GROG will have Crazy Al's #34 mugs there and some of his pendants left over from Tiki Wonderland, so if you didn't have a chance to get one then, GROG will have them on-hand to give back to Al. So, here's another chance to get one before Al takes them away.

T

This is Too HD for me.

Here's a few more photos from last Sunday spotlighting the awesome bowls Eric October made as well as the new fireplace and its corner.

JB

TT

Nice photos Scott!
Here's a few more...

GROG finishing his final cocktail...

GROG becomes a BASTARD!

GROG now feels like a Super Hero with his side-kick Lisa-Marie

GROG is now abusing his super-powers

Flaming Tiki is now having second thoughts about GROG

"Wow! Look at our sexy bowl!"

"Our drink is all gone."

That's all folks!

Congrats on becoming a bone-fide Bastard GROG!
I always knew you had it in ya!

Thanks for the awesome photos Tom!
What a fun night and a great bunch a friends. :)
Eric, those new bowls are AMAZING! The waterfall one in genius.

Hoping now that work has picked up, (thank jeebus!) I can get back to the regular Sunday Tonga routine.
Cheers! :drink:

Atomikitty
http://www.atomikitty.com/

Congrats again Ernie that was a fun day thanks everyone! Thanks Tom for the rad photos :)

Excellent usage of 'rad'!

Then let's do it all again on this Rad Exotica Sunday! All happening today 4-8 pm cocktail specials and friends! Happy Holidays!

Friday! Tomorrow! 12/23/11
Please join me at the Tonga Hut for Cocktails and Christmas Cheer I'll be Mixing 4-8 pm with Holiday Cocktails and Specials Galore starting at $5.00 ! Let's party like it's still 2011! See you at the Tonga Hut!

TH

Tonga Hut will be open at 6pm New Years Day!
See you then!

J

Joe Banks and I were the Tonga Hut's first customers for 2012 !!

Eric Link also showed but where were all of the other TH regulars ??

And poor Sarah, she started out 2012 by getting bitten on the forearm by an angry GROG. :(

Or did she say dog ??

On 2012-01-01 22:07, JOHN-O wrote:

Eric Link also showed but where were all of the other TH regulars ??

I'm not sure if Val and i have earned the title of TH regulars (yet), but we were in slow-mo recovery mode from the previous night out. We expect to be back in action this coming Sunday. Two weeks away is too long.

Kevin

Tonga Hut now opens at 12:00 Noon on Sunday. Please join me for Exotica Sunday from 12-8pm
Keep in touch as there are many new events planned including hosted rum tasting, cocktail flight specials and many more NEW suprises to come. Happy New Year to you all! :) - Kelly

TT

Last night we had some outta town TC ohana who also made it to Murph's the night before.
Tikitastic, Rum Runner and Boom Boom Room.

Here's the early shot...

And the late shot containing 10 bastards...

You can check out the larger versions of these photos here:
http://tongatom.blogspot.com/2012/01/tonga-hut-172012.html

Last minute update for this Sunday...
Rory "Wildsville man" from Caliente will be guest bartending Sunday 4-8pm.
Marty Lush will be spinning the tunes as well!
Please join us for cocktails on Sunday starting at noon!

JB

Do you have self Respect? Self Pride? Do you feel good about Life?

Well,Please put those to the side and visit me at the Historic Tonga Hug From 4-8p.m.

If you have not been to Tiki Caliente before,stop on by and ask me any questions you may have and maybe convince me to get you in before we go public Jan 21st at 10a.m.

Rap your Lip's around my Palm SPrings Punch,Dig?.................Taste

Aloha Good friends and fellow “Bastards”

I have put off writing this note to you because it’s just not easy. As some of you might already know, as of January 11, 2012 I did resign as a bartender/mixologist from the Tonga Hut. This was not an easy decision, the Tonga Hut truly brought joy to my life. I came to the Tonga Hut via Kirby & Polly’s Rumpus Room in 2009. I was working at a Rockabilly, Heehaw bar out in the desert called “Lucky’s” it’s easy to assume they had no fixings for Exotic cocktails. Jeremy Fleener was a regular at the Rumpus Room and I literally bugged Jeremy for a shift at the “TH” every week for a couple months, finally Jeremy and then partner Ana made the decision to put me to work. I was to have one or two shifts per week but from week one we were short handed and one or two shifts turned into three to five days a week. Tiki Ohana, Rumpus Roomer’s became regulars immediately. Sunday quickly became the way to finish off the weekend. Tonga Tom and Sherri Yaki wondered through the doors on my shift and became the first two members of the “Loyal Order of the Drooling Bastard” Jeremy sang “Big Brown Nut” and was quite the host and Marty Lush from the Tikiyaki Orchestra came on board to DJ and coined Sunday, “Exotica Sunday”.

It was a pleasure to serve you all and to celebrate our common love of poly pop culture at the “Hut”. I’m very proud to have been a part of Tonga Hut’s rich history and I am very proud of my accomplishments at the Tonga Hut as well. My time served at the Tonga Hut will remain fondly as some of the best times of my living. All things are due to change in time and that time is now. There are well light roads in front of me and journeys and adventures yet to explore and wherever that goes, I’m going and I somehow know you will be there too.

My thanks To Jeremy and all the staff and management of the Tonga Hut I’m most grateful for the opportunity to serve. My thanks also to Tom and Sherri to Marty, Kirby & Polly, Jim, Eric & Manuel, John-O, Jake, Ernie, Tom, Murph, Sven and Mike for all their support and help. Thank you all for coming out to the Tonga Hut and my shifts to celebrate and support, that was fun! I wish the Tonga Hut much continued success and another 53 years.

I’ll be seeing you, Kelly Hiphipahula Reilly

Photo by Tom D. Kline

Kelly, best wishes in your future endeavors.

My taste bud's are crying,but I know we will meet again.........someday..............Maybe May

Is the world ending and I wasn't informed?? First my beloved Suzanne resigns from Forbidden Island and just when plans were in the works for a relocation to SoCal to make the Hut my home bar I read this craziness! Unless you ladies are joining forces to make the ultimate tiki bar I am not a happy camper! Happy for you of course but you will be missed!

WooHoo & Good Luck in Your Future Adventures Kelly! :)

Hugs and Kisses, Kelly. See you at the Travelin' Rumpus Room.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 640 replies