Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Kelly Hiphipahula'sTonga Hut Parties 2009-2012 Farewell pg.42

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 640 replies

Kelly is the magical mistress of mixology!
Missed going the last couple of weeks!
November is detox time for us. We'll stop
by soon to say hello and buy a few lucky folks
some drinks and live vicariously through them!

Hurry up December!!!

Tiki Party Sunday Today 11/15 at the Tonga Hut! 4-8pm It's cold & crappy outside So, lets get together, catch up & drink delicious new Tiki cocktails. See ya there at 4:00 :)

TT

Sherriyaki & I had a great time with Kelly (as per usual) last night. We met TC member tiki43 from Connecticut, whose cavalcade of friends appeared to have Kelly's mixologist skills running full steam ahead. We hope to see some TC members tonight for the Tiki Party from 4-8pm. Kelly's own libations are the best, but we're chopping away at the Grog Log list too. 26 splinters, catch us if you can!

I'm gonna try to make it out today. . . I crave a Kelly Cocktail!

Thinking around 6 ish?. . . who else is going?

G
GROG posted on Sun, Nov 15, 2009 6:14 PM

GROG may swing by for a Jetsetter.

DARN IT! ~

I Sooooo wanted to come out and play tonight, but my bank account said no. . . Stupid bank account.

Payday is this week, so hopefully next Sunday. . .

Sorry I couldn't join you kids. Hope it was a blast, and I'm sure the cocktails were plentiful and delicious! :drink:

H

Nice seeing everyone there tonight. Kelly, you make the best drinks. I think I like your drinks better than the ones at Tiki Ti. Grog, you're the best no matter what LLT says.

Thanks for another FANTASTIC afternoon/evening of cocktails this past Saturday.
We enjoyed the:

• Mele Kalikimaka Mock Martini (awesome!)
  • Monk-e Nut
  • Zoarrow

and our old favorites:

• Sunset on the Kona Kai
  • Mug Cracker
  • Shaka Hula Bossa Nova

When we order from you Kelly, we feel like we ascend from mere 'bar customers' to 'patrons of the arts.'

Your cocktails continue to delight & amaze us. They are undoubtedly works of art.

Thank you.

Don't forget this weekend! We have the game on cable & Tiki Cocktails! TC Tiki Party Sunday 4-8pm. We will all be there!

I am so lucky live close to an original part of Tiki! And so lucky (maybe spoiled) to have Kelly! The Tonga Hut is the only bar in the San Fernando Valley (at least I know about) still operating after 50 years. It is the perfect place to stop in for an exquisitely crafted tiki beverage and there is almost always somebody fun in the bar from TC. The jukebox is great...just put on a little Tikiyaki and what more could you need. Not only are Kelly's cocktails amazing,they are also fun to order I just love the names...Hipalicious and Dan-O's day off. However don't let the effervescent names fool you. She is a true master of mixology and this girl knows her stuff. You are sure to get a serious Tiki drink with Kelly behind the bar. If you can't decide she will craft something to match your mood if need be. I started the Grog Log a couple weeks ago. I guess I better get back soon or at this rate it will take me over a year to finish! Thanks Tonga Hut for bringing us Kelly!

J

If you're seeking out other SFV mid-century bars with an old-school feel, I strongly recommend the Blue Room (1947) in Burbank. It has that timeless vibe as long as you keep their hideous wide-screen TV out of your line of vision. Also I believe the nearby Fox Fire Room on Magnolia Blvd opened in the 1950's.

It used to be that Tiki-Ti was the only place in So Ca to have it both ways, i.e. genuine Tiki history as well as fantastic tropical cocktails. 2009 will go down in Tiki history as the year we added both the Tonga Hut and DTBC (which should really still be named Sam's Seafood) to that list. Actually I think the Tonga Hut vibes the best in overall Tiki atmosphere and decor (discounting DTBC's additional role and size as a restaurant).

BTW, how come the TH drinks can't be Kelly quality or Grog Log recipe all the time? The drinks at Tiki-Ti have been consistent for decades and whenever I order from a different bartender at DTBC, it's always great (Thanks Marie !).

Just asking.

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2009-11-21 10:18 ]

G
GROG posted on Sat, Nov 21, 2009 10:22 AM

On 2009-11-21 10:10, JOHN-O wrote:
BTW, how come the TH drinks can't be Kelly quality or Grog Log recipe all the time?

They can to an extent. You can always ask any of the bartenders to make a drink from the GROGLOG and they will. But, if you want one of Kelly's signature drinks, like the Hipalicious or Mugcracker, then you better go on one of her days(Sat./ Sunday 4-8pm), because she keeps her secret recipes with her in her little black book. It's heavily guarded and it's worth millions on the black market.

If you're seeking out other SFV mid-century bars with an old-school feel, I strongly recommend the Blue Room (1947) in Burbank. It has that timeless vibe as long as you keep their hideous wide-screen TV out of your line of vision. Also I believe the nearby Fox Fire Room on Magnolia Blvd opened in the 1950's.

It used to be that Tiki-Ti was the only place in So Ca to have it both ways, i.e. genuine Tiki history as well as fantastic tropical cocktails. 2009 will go down in Tiki history as the year we added both the Tonga Hut and DTBC (which should really still be named Sam's Seafood) to that list. Actually I think the Tonga Hut vibes the best in overall Tiki atmosphere and decor (discounting DTBC's additional role and size as a restaurant).

BTW, how come the TH drinks can't be Kelly quality or Grog Log recipe all the time? The drinks at Tiki-Ti have been consistent for decades and whenever I order from a different bartender at DTBC, it's always great (Thanks Marie !).

Just asking.

Well???? Easy, it's not my Bar and I don't premix my secret recipes in the back for future use when I'm not there for that reason. However,!! the Tonga Hut has given me free rein to make Amazing Tiki Drinks as I please and has supplied any and all Rums and ingredients that I need or request! Reason?? To please all of you! So, please, come in and have a Cocktail! All Bartenders will mix a cocktail from the "Grog Log" with amazing results But, there is a Awesome "Tonga Hut" Cocktail Menu and the T.H. is going to be adding some new cocktails to it in the next few weeks and yes, some will be HipHiPaHula's recipes. Tonga Hut Cocktails are to NO longer be under rated and are made with Great consistency every time by all Bartenders with Top Shelf ingredients, the best Rums, Cane Sugar products, hand crafted products, fresh squeezed citrus and all the little things it takes to make a great cocktail. "HAVE YOU TRIED A TONGA HUT COCKTAIL LATELY?"

Come in this weekend and try one! Tiki Party all weekend!4-8pm. Much of TC in on Sunday 4:00pm SEE YOU THEN!

R

On 2009-11-21 11:00, Hiphipahula wrote:

Just asking.

Well???? Easy, it's not my Bar and I don't premix my secret recipes in the back for future use when I'm not there for that reason. However,!! the Tonga Hut has given me free rein to make Amazing Tiki Drinks as I please and has supplied any and all Rums and ingredients that I need or request! Reason?? To please all of you! So, please, come in and have a Cocktail! All Bartenders will mix a cocktail from the "Grog Log" with amazing results But, there is a Awesome "Tonga Hut" Cocktail Menu and the T.H. is going to be adding some new cocktails to it in the next few weeks and yes, some will be HipHiPaHula's recipes. Tonga Hut Cocktails are to NO longer be under rated and are made with Great consistency every time by all Bartenders with Top Shelf ingredients, the best Rums, Cane Sugar products, hand crafted products, fresh squeezed citrus and all the little things it takes to make a great cocktail. "HAVE YOU TRIED A TONGA HUT COCKTAIL LATELY?"

Come in this weekend and try one! Tiki Party all weekend!4-8pm. Much of TC in on Sunday 4:00pm SEE YOU THEN!

I think it's hilarious that despite the TH making strong efforts to please TC folks, especially with kelly making all this effort to make kick ass drinks...there is always one dissatisfied person out there. "YEAH WELL....______ IS BETTER THAN TONGA HUT SO NYUH! >P"

Oh please. :lol:

You rawk Kelly :D

J

Actually I'm very satisfied.... :)

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=34336&forum=1&vpost=492914

and plan to make the 20 mile drive tomorrow afternoon.

On 2009-11-21 11:39, JOHN-O wrote:

YAY! See you all there!!!! :)

R

On 2009-11-21 11:39, JOHN-O wrote:

YAY! Good!!! :D

We gotta support TH as much as possible, don't wanna see it ever going away... :(

It was the first bar I ever went to when I turned 21 :)

See you kids tomorrow!

H

I want that coconut drink you made me last Sunday, yummy. Hopefully I will see you tomorrow.

H

Boris, I am bringing your gift just in case you decide to show up. :)

T

Wow! It was great seeing so many TCers out at Tonga Hut tonight! Seems like ages since we've seen some of our Tiki Friends!
Yay for Kelly! Delicious Boo Loos... the first of our Grog Log drinks!

J

"Goddamn that's a f**king great cocktail !!"

Sorry for the salty language but that's the 2nd time this month I've uttered those words. Each time was after savoring an original Kelly concoction :) Try the Shaka Hula Bossa Nova and the Zorrorro.

I'm in walking distance of 10 Dogtown bars, 15 miles from Trader Vic's, 15 miles from Tiki-Ti, but I'll drive the extra miles to get to the Tonga Hut.

It's that good.

Also it was great meeting Jeremy, Hiltiki, Ravenne, GROG, Tonga Tom, and Sheriyaki (Wait, doesn't Tikiyaki have that trade-marked?).

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2009-11-23 07:09 ]

Last night WAS a good TC turn-out, and quite a fun time. We were fortunate enough to get the last two seats at the bar when we walked in.

BTW-Thank you for the out of the ordinary bar snacks!

Last Sunday I consumed Hiphipahula recipes exclusively (everything I've tried, I like), so this time I 86'd four drinks off the Grog Log list...
Gone The Beachcomber (I recommend this)
Q.B. Cooler (I recommend this)
Red Tide
Shark's Tooth

Sorry we missed the pizza fun-time action, hope you had some with pineapple for us.

It was good to meet you too JOHN-O.

Hope to see you all soon!

NEW! Pick up Tiki Party Today Tuesday & Friday! Sick of Thanksgiving Duties already??? Come see me! 4-8pm.

We can sing or dance or hey!, just have Cocktails! Great ones & Grog Log Too! Hit me up! The Tonga Hut Since 1958! Dude that's older than you! See you there!

P.S. New Cocktails & a Holiday Rockin' Double shot!

[ Edited by: Hiphipahula 2009-11-24 12:23 ]

G
GROG posted on Tue, Nov 24, 2009 12:15 PM

GROG enjoy meeting John-O at Tonga Hut Sunday, and hanging out with him and other TCers. Let's do it again, soon.

On 2009-11-24 12:15, GROG wrote:
GROG enjoy meeting John-O at Tonga Hut Sunday, and hanging out with him and other TCers. Let's do it again, soon.

OK TODAY 4-8pm. !! See Grog There!

Friday 4-8pm get out of the house, leave the dishes behind, eat some turkey left-overs then come have Tiki Cocktails with us at the Tonga Hut! Sign up for the Grog Log and be a member of "The Loyal Order of the Drooling Bastard" ! FRIDAY day after Thanksgiving 4-8pm

Kelly! I had a blast at the Tonga Hut last Sunday! What an amazing place. I enjoyed meeting your other TC friends, what a group I laughed my "tiki" butt off! You mix em' up better than anybody, keep up the great work. I'll be back!

Aloha! ~Jon...tiki butt.

My pleasure! Come party with me Today 4-8pm get outta the house! Tired of turkey yet???? Have a cocktail with me!
12808 Victory Bl. in NoHo!!

Last Sunday was so much fun we are doing it again Join Me for cocktails & maybe we'll do pizza???? See ya there! 4-8pm!

Great hanging out with ya Kelly last Sunday!
Knocked off a couple more from the Grog Log.
Love that Voodoo Grog and Lapu Lapu!
Mahalo!

T

Have an urge to knock off some more of the Grog Log and see what else you are mixin' this Saturday! May bring a friend or two as well.

Thank You to my Regulars for coming in Today! Mahalos also to my Tiki Bar T.V. Fans & my new friends you guys Rock! Willy & Mark Donica, Kevin. Everyone! That was fun! Lets do it again Today! New Cocktails to try!

Sunday Tiki Party 4-8pm Be There!
The Tonga Hut 12808 Victory Bl. NoHo

T

I had a great time! Thank you for helping us celebrate Repeal Day in style. That Bangkok Kicker is amazing... I encouraged Mark to get one and I kept catching him holding the glass looking at it in wonder saying, "Wow, this is REALLY good!" Your alchemical concoctions never cease to amaze.

TT

Another great weekend at Tonga Hut! Saturday was a good TC turnout, and it was great to see familiar faces, as well as meeting Kevin (Johnny Johnny), Mark, Willy, and of course TikiGeeki. Sunday was a more relaxed vibe, as we enjoyed the new Ku-brick's "A Chocolate Orange" and some selections from the Grog Log. We hope to see some TC faces on Tuesday during HipHiPaHulA's fill-in from 4-8pm.

Today Tuesday Dec. 8th at the Tonga Hut 4-8pm Happy Hour Tiki Specials! Grog Log Counting your way into the "Royal Order of the Drooling Bastard" Be a Bastard too! Hope to see you there!

Is it the "royal" instead of "loyal" order now? Or is that a typo? Cuz becoming royalty would be cool!

K
kirby posted on Tue, Dec 8, 2009 2:02 PM

I believe its "Loyal Order of the Drooling Bastard" L.O.O.T.D.B.

I f'in don't like either hahha I voted "Society" in there somewhere.. Society of Drooling Bastards. That way we become Drooling Bastards :) I've been a bitch but never a bastard. It has a ring to it! I want to lift my mug and cheer to all you Drooling Bastards out there!

Dr. Tom & Kirby yeah, yeah.. hell Kirby just so you get it right on the placard.....

TT

On 2009-12-09 02:59, Hiphipahula wrote:

I want to lift my mug and cheer to all you Drooling Bastards out there!

I like the acronym. It has so many other possibilities...

L.O.O.T.D.B. (Last One Out Of The Damn Bar)

L.O.O.T.D.B. (Living Off Of The Demerera Booze)

L.O.O.T.D.B. (Look Out Or They'll Drink BooLoos)

Plenty more to come up with!

TT

For those of you that haven't been in the Tonga Hut, here's a pic of THE original Drooling Bastard from inside the bar.

On 2009-12-09 04:26, Trader Tom wrote:

On 2009-12-09 02:59, Hiphipahula wrote:

I want to lift my mug and cheer to all you Drooling Bastards out there!

I like the acronym. It has so many other possibilities...

L.O.O.T.D.B. (Last One Out Of The Damn Bar)

L.O.O.T.D.B. (Living Off Of The Demerera Booze)

L.O.O.T.D.B. (Look Out Or They'll Drink BooLoos)

Plenty more to come up with!

HAHA BooLoo's! "Booloo's are a good thing"

T
TikiG posted on Wed, Dec 9, 2009 1:57 PM

Is there a LOOTDB logo - officially?

If not I step up to the task...of course I'll use the Drooling Bastard image as the basis for the logo.

Hip...please advise if I'm stepping on anybody's toes!

Thanks

On 2009-12-09 13:57, TikiG wrote:

If not I step up to the task...of course I'll use the Drooling Bastard image as the basis for the logo.

Thanks

Hi G! I think Kirby has already handled most of the work. Best if ya ask Jeremy he's Da Boss :) Thanks G :)!!

T
TikiG posted on Thu, Dec 10, 2009 3:55 PM

cool!

K
kirby posted on Thu, Dec 10, 2009 3:59 PM

On 2009-12-10 15:45, Hiphipahula wrote:

On 2009-12-09 13:57, TikiG wrote:

Thanks

Hi G! I think Kirby has already handled most of the work. Best if ya ask Jeremy he's Da Boss :) Thanks G :)!!

Hey G,Kelly is right,I do already have sumthing in the works, but mahalos just the same... And I will be bringing a new sign i made to go above the drooling bastard on sunday..see ya then...

Kirby,
will yer name be on the board?
ha ha ha.

Jeff(btd)

See you Friday Today & Sunday for Tiki Wonderland Tiki Party People! See you too Jeff BTD cause your spinning records or I'd probably not see you at the TH or supporting me or the TH ... "it's too far" :roll:

yep

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 640 replies