Wednesdays at Forbidden Island

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 865 replies

M

Friendly reminder:

FI is CLOSED Wednesday, July 4th.

Have a great Independence Day everyone!

Mahalo.

CL

FI FLOAT!! FI FLOAT!! FI FLOAT!! So no float in the Alameda 4th of July parade this year? Well there's always next year :)

J

Oooh! That would be fun! Can we get KuBar on a flat bed, or would it run into power and telephone lines?

CL

OMG, we could throw soft mini tiki's out from it. Sort of like Mardi Gras. :D

M

Thanks to you both, but it's long ago come and gone- I went through six City of Alameda departments to figure out that the Ku Bar was too tall for lights/power lines along the route.

Also no throwing things allowed.

No booze allowed.

And 7am start.

So as my magic 8-ball would say, "Outlook not so good".

B
Buster posted on Thu, Jul 5, 2007 8:57 AM

I would be so into a float for Alameda's 4th of July Parade next year. I'm up for starting a float committee ( I can hear Martiki sigh from here) yes, it would have to be dry on the route and we would need to come up with a design that is size appropriate but danm it could be fun. Giving ourselves the time to plan and with many hands to lighten the work...... As for the 7:00 am start there is always the coral reef and lots of local TC's that I'm sure would help.
Just a thought.

J

The 7:00am start is the only thing that gives me pause, but I think I could drag myself out of bed for such a fun event! I was chatting with Notch yesterday and it sounded like he's into creating something appropriately sized for the float. I vote that Martin leave it up to a committee and let us go with it! I would be happy to do committee duty!

CL

Buster, I agree. The 7am start is probably not an issue for those of us that live nearby. I can think of at least 6 local people who would be open to considering commitment. However, that being said, I continue defer to Martin as the call is ultimately his and Michael's. :) P.S. McGrath's had a great float. It had a plane on it.

Hey, I think we're out for tonight. Fun day, sunburn, and back at work today. See you all next week!

B

Coco Loco,
I totally agree it is Martin's call.
Let's just try to twist his arm :)

CL

Agreed. :D

On 2007-07-06 12:59, Buster wrote:
Coco Loco,
I totally agree it is Martin's call.
Let's just try to twist his arm :)

H

At this risk of taking this thread further off track...

Does the Alameda parade require floats to be sponsored by a local business (rather than just a group of people)? Because Alameda was lousy with tikiphiles well before Forbidden Island arrived on the scene -- heck, that's why Alameda was such an attractive location for Forbidden Island to lay anchor. Why don't you guys just join together and create a float for the Tikiphiles of Alameda? Martin & the gang can sponsor and/or lend assistance if it makes sense for them (it might or it might not), but if you guys want a float, build a dang float! When Cherry Capri was the Queen of the Doo Dah Parade in Pasadena, we led the parade with a motley crew of tikiphiles, and it was terrifically fun.

M

We'll probably do something next year. At the end of the day, I thought pulling the Ku behind a truck would have been hysterical, and we were going to get some vinyl signs made for the truck and play some cool music, etc. But the old guy is just too tall. Already spoke with Nacho about something new for next year- there just wasn't really time to do something for this year- as you all can imagine, you don't just knock out those ku bars overnight.

J

YAY!!! I think you've got at least three folks ready to help out whenever you're ready to kick this thing off! Let's not wait until the last minute to start planning, 'cuz we could make this the best darned float in the parade next year with a little time and effort! Yippeee!

MT

On 2007-07-07 08:01, Humuhumu wrote:
Why don't you guys just join together and create a float for the Tikiphiles of Alameda?

All seven or eight of us? Although a great idea, there aren't enough of us on the Island to pull that off. Remember, a bunch, if not most, of the hardcore Forbidden Island regulars hail from nearby abodes in Oakland and San Leandro. The local politics here in Alameda are so nit-picky, that I truly believe that a "Tikiphiles Of Alameda" or "Friends Of Tiki" type group wouldn't fly if most of the people involved weren't from A-Town. Remember, this is more like a midwestern or Jersey Shore type town.

For me, I'd prefer to see a Forbidden Island float. It would be more self explanatory than spending all afternoon/week/month explaining to everyone around here what a "Friends Of Tiki" float and "Tiki" are.

Oh hey, can we maybe start a new thread for this new topic of a float for next year's Alameda 4th of July parade?

B

Hey folks,
because I was the one that dragged this thread kicking and screaming way way off topic I have started a float thread.
Here is where you'll find it.
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=24794&forum=17&0

Who's going tonight...and who's going tomorrow night? :)

J

I think I'm out for both nights ... but I'll be there early on Sunday! :D

{Notice I didn't say "bright" and early!}

MT

I'll be there tonight.

T

I'll be there, but I'll probably leave early.

of course, I'll probably be there tomorrow as well.

And Sunday.

Sheesh.

MT

I hear ya, TofuJoe. I was just thinking the same thing. Might as well throw in Friday to round out the week!!!

MT

Boo Hamburgers!!! I ended up being under the weather - a bit of food poisoning. But not from hamburgers.

S

Mai Tai, I hope you are feeling better!

--Suzanne

Hey kids, who's joinin' me tonight?

J

Me. Around 7:00-7:30ish

T

Heading over shortly.

A surprise tonite.

BOY, was it EVER!! So much ohana!

WHeeee!!

Thanks everyone. I had a great time tonight.

MT

Wow!!! Indeed what a great night!

Pablus was there! And performed a couple of tunes out on the back patio, and basically closed it down for the evening.

Suzanne ordered the last drink needed in order for her to finish the menu - a Mystery Bowl! WE all join in to lend a helping hand.

Although she really didn't need any help. Before you know it, the Mystery Bowl was gone!

And Suzanne is rewarded with a shot of Diplimatico rum, and the World's Coolest Bumper Sticker. Which you definitely don't want to be sporting on your bumper in Alameda!!!

Pablus gives Basement Kahuna a call, and the next thing you know, we're all drinkin' Concubines! And the love starts flowin'!!!

Lastly, when we dropped the Drunken Hat and Tiki Cleen off at the Days Inn in Alameda, here is a hood ornament on one of the vehicles in the parking lot!

Again, what a great night! Pablus, good luck on your travel stint. BK, thanks for sending out the drink recipe. Suzanne, thanks for the Diplimatico! Everyone, thanks for being you!!!

RATS! My chance to meet and listen to the infamous Pablus without going to Florida!! Wish I would have known in advance and I would have gotten in gear to be at FI last night. Sorry to have missed you all. It's always a fun night when drunkenhat and tikicleen come to visit too. You guys sticking around tonight too?

• Myke
P

Awesome place.
Thanks Denise and Mike for letting us stay outside an extra hour.
Hope the angry neighbor was lulled to sleep by our soft uke tones.

Ukebox was there - my very favorite ukulele artist - and we had a little throwdown.
What a player. He has a new CD out that I can't wait to give a listen.

It was great to meet some of you and re-establish relationships with others and particularly nice to see BooLoo there looking resplendent.

My favorite part of the evening was actually bringing my wife into the scene... a little.

Mahalo, o people of Forbidden Island. Your shores now hold fond memories for me that I will revisit many times as I move on to distant islands.

J

It was such a fabulous surprise to get to meet Pablus last night! My favoritist moment of the night was when he was singing his beautiful Forbidden Island song on the back patio by the light of the tiki torches. Thanks for serenading us!

Oh, and I can't believe I actually allowed someone to take a picture of me wearing my glasses! :( I must've forgotten I was wearing them. D'oh!

P

Oh yeah, the drinks.

A perfectly poured Demerara Dry Float led to a Mystery Bowl.
Then the Captain's Grog and a Zombie. (not together)
A Declared Treuse was exquisitely tart. Thayer's own in(ter)vention.

Fugu for 2. Sweet and deadly.

Then the Concubine. Sublime.

The nightcap was a slight pour of some dark rich rum, possibly the Pampero, with a touch of lime and pineapple.

That's a few more than I had intended to drink, but I always say that.

Thanks to the mixologists that make FI what it is. A premier establishment serving artistic cocktails with loads of FRESH MINT!

Wow!!! What a night with Pablus and Ukebox jamming the ukes in the back. I met so many people last night and felt so very welcome. Mahalo!!!

Pablus bon voyage and hope to cross paths with you and your wife again.

KN

I'm not sure if I find it odd or not that the only song I played all day yesterday and today was Forbidden Island, not realizing pablus would be there last night. Binars strike again.

Glad a good time was had by all. Looking forward to making it out there sometime soon. Until then, I'll mix another Mai Tai and get back to my uke.....

S

What a night, indeed! Thank you to everyone who shared the Mystery Bowl with me, and celebrated my completion of the menu... whee! I did need help with it, which was gladly given, and the Diplimatico was fantastic! I was sad that I wasn't able to finish it, but I know it went to a good home. :D What beautiful, beautiful music were we treated to on the patio! I'll never hear the Mikado the same way again. I was enchanted by how well the Gilbert and Sullivan lends itself to the ukelele. And the Forbidden Island song.... oh! I MUST have a copy of this!

An unforgettable night, no doubt. Thank you for posting the photos, Mai Tai! I will miss you all so much when I'm in Texas. Hopefully Hanford will announce the SF Crawl dates soon so I can play my trip home. (hint, hint :D)

--Suzanne

S

[i] BK, thanks for sending out the drink recipe...

Any way I can get a copy of this?

--Suzanne

Hey kids! I've got new duds!!!

B

Phil and Martin will get to see them I still giving me students an exam.

MT

On 2007-07-20 00:13, suzanne wrote:

[i] BK, thanks for sending out the drink recipe...

Any way I can get a copy of this?

--Suzanne

Check yer pm's. :D

Come one - Come all!! I have another new dress to premier tomorrow!

Thrilling, I'm sure!

:wink:

J

I'll be there for the Opening Ceremonies of my birthday week! And back next Wednesday for Closing Ceremonies! Who's with me?

T

thirsty. yup.

Come and get it!

J

On 2007-08-08 15:18, Haole'akamai wrote:
Come and get it!

Okay! Time for the Closing Ceremonies!

Aloha everyone, Stacey (my fiance) and I are doing a couple of shows up in San Jose and Mountain View. We plan on going to Forbidden Island Wednesday night Sept. 5th. We're looking forward to meeting some fellow tiki peeps up in the north country.

Thats next Wednesday the 5th.
See ya then!

Cool! See you there Doug and Stacey!

The Mongoose is back from his summer travels, and thirsty! Looking forward to seeing people tonight and ogling all the stuff I'm not going to win in the raffle. (Hint to others: the person who wins is always sitting directly beside me).

MT

Damn, it's hot here on the Island today! (shameless segway) And it's only gonna get hotter at Chongolio's raffle! I think I'm gonna hit the beach for a little bit, then head over to Forbidden Island. Boy, am I thirsty!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 865 replies