Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Album Cover Art Swap - Deadline Dec 24th - It's Done!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 405 replies

anthonymaye (:
Badd Tiki (:
WaikikianMoeKele I like being teased.
hang10tiki (:, and you've done a perfect copy of the tiki on the album.

Thank you all so much for the fun comments. This is going to be another terrific swap.

======================================================================================

Next steps on my Lost Continent mug.

I put the photo back in place.

I pressed down with the wooden tool to indent the clay.

Better view of the outline. To do this on dry clay you have to press really hard and at the same time not break the clay mug.

This is the tool I used.

Then I got as far as carving out the ship.

There sure is a lot of fun doing these projects. Cheers, Wendy

T

Wendy, this is seriously impressive, not to mention brave. The clay looks so dry that my eyes would crack it. Go go go!

C
cy posted on Mon, Oct 7, 2013 7:57 AM

Wendy your clay piece looks great! Liking the wood burning H10, and the painting Anthonymaye.

Anthony & Jon, you guys are really moving along!
Wendy - I love that mug, it's turning out really well. Very interesting technique. Did you say that blank mug was slip cast? That would mean it has little or no sand/grog to get in the way of your carving?

Just a few more final touches to complete it
Shading, bottom, and back.
Hmmmmmmmm
I think I'll make a small second piece for my swap partner :)
Since the wood burner is still plugged in,
But what to do......
Hmmmm

Love this cover

And on the back I saw this

Hmmmmmmm....

Z

Holy Guacamole! This is going to be an awesome swap! The stuff I'm seeing is drool-alicious!

You and MadDog are whipping these out and doing a great job.

Here's where I've left off on my carving. Wendy

Lookin good W

Jon

Burn time

Stain time

:)

Everything is looking so great.

I have an idea, think it will work out.
~kele

Go Kele Go

Jon & Wendy, you guys are goin' at it! I need to finish up a few projects first and then I'll be good to go.

MadDogMike Album Cover swap mug step by steps.

After using water to smooth my carving I let it dry. Some detail is lost when smoothing this way so I go back over my work with a wooden pick and do a bit more carving.

Before I bisque fire I'll sand and fine tune all my work again. So this is not totally done.

I used the same tool to outline the lettering and then to make scratches in the background.

Then where I wouldn't bump into any carvings I used this tool to continue the scratching around the backside.

Done for now. I'll finish my other projects and then I'll fine tune and bisque fire them all together.

Rough bottom will be sanded too.

Cheers, Wendy

BeeeeeYOOTIFUL!

What Zero said

T

Show off.... :wink:

Awesome work Wendy, as always. You can send it right to me if you'd like....

Jon, both pieces look killer. You can put the wood burned piece in the mail right now for me, too. Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for it....

[ Edited by: TikiAno 2013-10-10 11:13 ]

:) :) :)

Thanks everyone. I swear looking at photos is the best way to spot errors. I looked at my posted photos and saw that I missed carving a snake on a tree at the far left screen. I'll have to add it. It's weird that I missed it. The Sacramento Crawl starts in the morning, yippee, Wendy

That's gorgeous Wendy, can't wait to see it fired and glazed.

C
cy posted on Fri, Oct 11, 2013 1:19 PM

Incredible mug Wendy! Here is my favorite album cover, I really like the tikis used.

I go the opposite way as anthonymaye and do the blackline first.

I agree with Sophista-tiki-The lettering will make the piece and will first paint the color in, then screen print the lettering over the top The frame will be carved and look something like this.

Very cool Cy!

CY-clone
Dude awesome idea, this is going to be sweet

Jon

T

Cy, that is not only an awesome idea, love how amazing it looks already!

I finally got started on my Art Crawl Piece. I'm trying out a new technique- since I'm not sure how this is going to work, I'm going to work on a separate one at the same time. I'll call these "A" and "B." This is a very boring beginning of the project, with just the basics so far... (You have been warned).

A. I got on the potter's wheel and threw this basic bowl shape:

yep, that's it for "A." More to come....

B. I threw out a slab and rolled it out flat....

I trimmed it and wrapped it around a piece of PVC to make the form of a Mug (to be)....

I know, still not exciting.

These are now under plastic, more work to be done.... stay tuned.... Hope everyone had/ is having a great weekend!

Loving the step by steps... looking forward to where they go
~kele

Glad to see you are up and running TikiAno. I have way too many irons in the fire right now so I haven't gotten started, but hope things settle down in a couple of weeks :)

T

Mike, thanks. I have the design on paper (roughly drawn and posted below), it won't quite be an exact rendition as others have posted (there won't be any mustaches on Moais, though, don't worry) but I will take a few liberties on it. The bowl is (still) drying out before I can trim it. There will be a lot of clay extruding happening for these pieces. Look forward to seeing where you're going (along with everyone else!)

Note, the drawing is not to scale- the Moai head (which will be w/ sharper angles, as in the Kahiki's Moai) will more appropriately align (in size, if not spirit) with the original album cover. This design will go onto both the mug and bowl (albeit in different ways). And yes, I plan on adding red lipstick so that Martin Denny might approve....

:lol: Great concept David! Looking forward to seeing it happen

Sweet

Great looking artwork being developed here!
~kele

Everything is looking so awesome this is a really great topic for a swap.

Well i am done with the painting now to just frame it.

do you think i should stain the wood I'm up in the air on that one?

Anthony- WOW
Dude u rock...
As far as frame stain, guess it depends on what the wood looks like.
Either way, outstanding work

Jon

C
cy posted on Sat, Oct 19, 2013 9:01 AM

NICE!!

AMAZING! The bar is extremely high this go-round...you guys are all bringing beautiful stuff to the (turn)table

Meanwhile, in Bizarro world...everything is backwards. Stupid webcam.
~Zero

Thank you everyone

zreo that looks great even backwards

Zero- LACITOXE
Sounds like an exotic drink
:drink:
Looking good, even backwards
Cool stuff

Jon

Looks great Anthony!

Here ya go Zero. very cool

T

Killer stuff! Anthony and Zero, completely awesome. Hope to get more work done on mine on Monday.... Anyone else...?

Ok Mad Dog Mike
Put me down as DONE...

Wicked cool Jon! Nice pics

C
cy posted on Sun, Oct 20, 2013 8:29 AM

Moody-cool Zero and a superb job by Jon as well!

Wow what terrific tiki art. You guys rock. I'm still working on mine. Cheers, Wendy

Thanks, Mad Dog. My mirror shades aren't working as well as they used to.

Thanks all

Now I can sit back n enjoy the rest of the show...
Popcorn ready :)

Jon

T

More progress. I looked at the first mug form I put together lats week, think it's a little too gigantic (can probably fit a quart of liquid in there- while an average drink for Hang10, might be too much for everyone else). :wink: I decided to make a more "slender version."

Since the other drink tub was dry, I decided to experiment with it. First I drew a rough design on it, then started carving away.

The Martin Denny album cover was there for comparison's sake:

Prior to deeper carving on the front side. Glazing will be key, but plan on using tinted wax resist for "firmer" lines when high-firing.

Remember, this is the "test" version... :)

I spent too much time on this one (and some other projects) that I never got to trim the Art Swap Bowl, that'll happen later this week.

[ Edited by: TikiAno 2013-10-22 11:02 ]

[ Edited by: TikiAno 2013-10-22 16:57 ]

Almost every day I come here and think "what the heck am I gonna make for this swap!"

And I get nowhere. But I keep looking. And hoping.

Well, I think I have my inspiration! :)

So now how to turn the inspiration into my art. Clay? A painting? What?????

It doesn't help that you folks have set the bar so high! I'm not at your level but I promise to give it my best.

Stay tuned......

T

Lori, looks great, but I admit, I can now only focus on: "Full Dimensional Stereo.................."

I don't know what that is, but I want it!

Ano- u funny, but u made me wonder
Hmmmmm a QUART Mai-Tai :)
Now I'm thirsty
Love the start on your mug, looks sweet bruddah

Lori- wow, great album cover, never seen that 1 before!
I can't wait to see what you come up with...

Jon

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 405 replies