Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Album Cover Art Swap - Deadline Dec 24th - It's Done!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 405 replies

T

Mike, that is phenomenal. Love the texture. Would love to see the different sides-- but looks pretty darn close to me!

I'm sure your glaze choices will be spot on, too.

C
cy posted on Mon, Nov 11, 2013 8:51 AM

Your MadDogMoaiMug looks MueyMarvelousMike!

T

I have finally had some time to start my project. But first I have to say everybody's stuff is looking awesome!!

I decided to make up my own Album Cover with my favorite band & the best place to see them. So after a few hours of doodling here is my Album Cover.

It will be router carved onto a wood panel. It will be 11 1/2"x11 1/2", almost the same size as an album.

[ Edited by: TikiPops 2013-11-11 18:34 ]

[ Edited by: TikiPops 2013-11-11 18:35 ]

TikiPops in da house
Sweet
Can't wait to see it

Jon

Very cool Pops, glad to have you on board (pun intended :D )

Love seeing more peoples jumping into the Tiki Art Swap pool.

The more, the merrier!

~kele

T

On 2013-11-05 20:00, cy wrote:
One of the things I like about these swaps is that I learn a lot about processes in art that are not familiar to me. Pert near done with the album cover, will touch up portions with paint then it's on to the frame.

WOW!!
Cy that is AWESOME!
But where are the stacked tiki? :)

MadDogMike that is a wonderful mug. There's time to make a mold for sharing!!!

TikiPops very nice.

What a great swap this will be. Wendy

T

TikiPops, awesome. Dig the wooden album cover concept.

I glazed the bowl as well as the (test) tiki mug- Mug 2.0 is still drying out, so have time to see how these glazes turn out. Both the mug and bowl have similar (but not entirely identical) glazes. The bowl was thrown with Speckled buff clay, so once it's glaze fired some little dots will be showing through the glaze.

I used a variety of Shino glazes, which leave a nice effect with a bit of texture, dependent on how thick/ thin the coats of glazes are (2-3 per each glaze color). Each one of these pieces has 6-7 glazes on each, which meant a whole lotta glazing time. Wendy, my hat's off to you, since you often do detail glazing work- I can say, I'll stick with 1-3 colors next time :) Hope to see these fired in a few days.

The bowl (easy, glazing in between the lines):

The mug, (one side):

Hmmmm, I wonder what happened to all the other TCers who were going to join in... :)

Great swap pieces from all so far!

V

On 2013-11-12 11:16, TikiAno wrote:

Hmmmm, I wonder what happened to all the other TCers who were going to join in... :)

I am beginning to panic!

Tiki Ano, looks great, waiting to see it fired.
Henrik don't panic - there will be another Swap if you don't make this one :)
Just remember, "don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things" :D

Skip- I think this swap needs a Skipper piece :)
Ano- lookin good brother, can't wait to c em fired
Van- u can do it :)
MadDog- u funny mo fo

Jon

T

MDM, ha!

Henrik, there's plenty of time left... look forward to seeing your next creation... :)

Z

No need to panic - We're plugging away!
~Zero

I have cruised through this thread and WOW! What an impressive, enthusiastic, creative BUNCH OF KOOKS!
Excited to see how this progresses...I am going to have to step up to this project !

tigertail777 I resemble that remark. Wendy

You DO resemble that remark! But I am the OTHER Tigertail,
777 and I may have to work that out! Its the name of the street I grew up on,
not terribly Tiki I have to confess. Love your work BTW,

NAME ALERT
We now have 2 "Tigertails":
Tigertail777 who is a painter from Oregon currently working on an amazing Egyptian painting
Tigertail is a sculptor (from California?) in the entertainment business who is interested in joining our Swap

Not picking on you Wendy. Normally if someone got a name wrong I would send them a PM and let them quietly edit it. But everyone needs to be aware of the similar names so there won't be as much confusion. It's not the first time there are 2 people with similar names and it won't be the last :lol:

Welcome to our Kooky Swap Tigertail :D

I think something that might help, once I figure out how to do it is to put a visual signature at the bottom of my posts. The picture will be one of my art pieces and say "Tiki Tiger Studios" which I am thinking of getting a doing business as license as, and is the name of my facebook page.

The hilarious irony here is that I had two other names on here many years ago because I kept forgetting I had already registered with how far between my posts were then, and one of them was "tigertail". The more tigers the merrier I always say. :) Every real tiger has a completely unique stripe pattern you know, so there IS a way to tell them apart. :wink:

I now return you to your regularly scheduled art swap thread. :)

Progress! Finally!

~Zero

Zero- looks awesome
One question, do the feet holding it up come with it?

:wink:

Jon

T

Jon, ha ha ha.

Zero, awesome. I think I may have to get this one, too.

Tigertail(s), I suppose each of you should answer whenever someone mentions (either one of) you. Or....

[ Edited by: TikiAno 2013-11-15 19:48 ]

:)

Count me in..rhum painting on parchment..a chance to imbibe and illustrate!!

Z

.....Feet sold separately, Jon.
toes on the nose, perhaps?

Moondog- sweet
Zero- :)

Thanks tigertail. How funny that I mixed you up. I have met tigertail777, one day I'll meet you.
Great art guys, funny comic. My mug is finished but I can load photos until I get back home.

Cheers, Wendy

I've finished the MadDogMike December 24th Swap Mug. Here's how it looks.

The inside is black with flat gold flakes.

I'm one view short. The next turn would have shown the serpent around the stake. I better get that before this ships out.

What a fun swap. Thank you MadDogMike for getting us all to work. Cheers, Wendy

AWESOME.....

T

Wendy, wow, the detail is amazing. Great color choices.

Both the test mug (V1.0) and the Exotica bowl came out of the kiln. First, the Martin Denny album cover:

I drew, then painted the design using a black glaze. I used a squeeze bottle for the finer details- which left a thicker glaze application than I had thought- thus a bit of running around the Moai's face. The rest of the glazes are Shinos, which demonstrate a variety of color based on the thickness of the application. The clay body is "Speckled Buff," which has specks that come out when it's high fired. The interior:

Exterior/ side:

This is the test version of the tiki mug for the Swap- it's a bit shorter and very wide- can hold a LOT of any beverage. The red lipstick underglaze was applied a bit too thick, I admit. The subsequent version should be a lot cleaner (it's being bisque fired now):

Interior:

The forehead pendant should have come out golden in color- not sure what happened- a test piece with the same glaze came out perfectly- most likely was the position in the kiln (I didn't load it).

Look forward to seeing everyone else's updates....

(some more work and photos on my thread).

Just back from a long trip, lots of cool stuff to look at here. Will post tomorrow :D

C
cy posted on Wed, Nov 20, 2013 8:27 AM

Great progress ZeroTiki, way to get into your work bb, one of my favorites Wendy, nice work TikiAno, more beverage-I want that one.

MadDogMike we are so glad you are back home.

Cy thank you. You said just what I was thinking.

Tiki Ano the jewelry on the forehead of the Moai to match the cover art is precious.

This has been just fun. Wendy

Ano- sweet..............

T

I finally got a few hours in on my project.

Here is the design copied onto to the wood.

Here is the progress after an hour or so.

I should be able to knock out a lot this holiday weekend.

Just when I was losing hope I found this album hidden in a boxed set of Mario Lanza records that belonged to my parents. SADLY the disc is cracked so we will NEVER know what the percussion rhythms of Wes Saxton actually sound like, all one can do is hold the fractured vinyl up to your ear and imagine...

T

TikiPops, looks great, and makes me feel terrible about my router skills. Thanks a lot. :) Seriously, look forward to seeing it progress!

Tigertail, good cover, and still time to get creatin'.

Glazed Mug v.2.0. A little crack appeared after bisque firing it (certain parts were trimmed pretty thin). I filed some of the bottom, used the ground bisqueware to plug the hole. (Glaze over top should work, I hope). I then glazed the piece: 6 glazes, multiple coats of each, took a bit of time. Whenever I glaze details like this my hat goes off to Wendy and Henrik, and everyone else, who regularly do incredibly detailed glaze work.

Pops/tiger/ano

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeet

Oops! I have to explain. The cover IS the piece, I am working on the backside album notes now!
It's an imaginary album.

tigertail777 Dan was so in love with your cover that he had me looking on Amazon and eBay for the Album. What does your parents look like?

Tiki Ano I love honesty. I would always trust you. I hope that the little crack will go away with your repair. I've had it work.
Every time I see your piece I also in my head see the album cover so you pulled it off.

Cheers everyone. It's good to be home. Wendy

I looked a bunch of stuff and really liked these two, they remind me of classic Saul Bass movie tittle sequences...

drew a hot orange red background with prima color pencil, scanned and printed it and drew over the print with pencil again to really saturate the color.

Then came up with a name that had that hot jungle feel, Fever Drums, and drew a title in the style of Legends of Hawaii

and some other images

then combined it all and lifted the Capital and High Fidelity bugs from a Les Baxter album 'Skins'...

C
cy posted on Tue, Nov 26, 2013 2:55 PM

Nice tigertail, TikiPops and Ano, great to see progress!

Thanks!

tigertail777 I like those step by step photos, Wendy

I've been slackin' on my Art Swap Leader duties, too many extra-curricular activities :D

ZeroTiki - Your Exotical is looking good, any updates?
BBmoondog - Glad to have you back with your burnt rhum. Very nice
Wendy - That mug matches the album cover PERFECTLY. The interior glaze is cool too.
TikiAno - You are juggling 3 pieces on this project! I like that Speckled Buff clay, good luck with that crack :fingers crossed:
TikiPops - That is some intricate router work!
TigerTail - Very cool! So the elements are hand drawn individually then scanned and assembled digitally? I like that white worn aging

My mug has been vegetating but I am getting ready to order some glazes for it, maybe tonight?

LESS THAN 4 WEEKS TO THE DEADLINE!!!!!!

Tigertail- way cool
MadDog- sweet

I really like the 'how to' quality of this thread! The thought process and the technical, great stuff guys!

Dan really wants your album cover tigertail and Dan's mug and all the rest of the swaps too. The man has good taste in tiki art! Wendy

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 405 replies