Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Album Cover Art Swap - Deadline Dec 24th - It's Done!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 405 replies

Z

Man, everyone is really delivering the goods this year! Beautiful works all around! And now, my humble addition...

Thinking of adding record wear....
~Zero

Zero- sweetness

C
cy posted on Sun, Dec 1, 2013 3:11 PM

Another excellent addition to the swap Zero, it turned out great! I like to use materials that are available and at my disposal (just like the ancient islanders had to do, right?), but using "shite wood" from my barn has me second guessing my reasoning. I could have carved a piece of sheet rock and been just as well off, but here is the start.

I will paint in yellows, greens, and blacks to match the main tiki from the original album cover art.

Zero - looks great, I think some record wear would look good too. In Japan they say the used jeans with the Skoal can wear on the back pocket fetch top dollar. I wonder if it's the same for album covers with record wear? :D
Cy - what an awesome "frame"

T

CY, love that. Hilarious

T

Zero, awesome! I think it's your call re: record wear- looks great now, though.. .:)

cy, that's amazing. I want frames like this for my records now.... :) A new addition to your creations?

Have to say, this is indeed a killer theme for this Swap. Mike, thanks for organizing once again!

[ Edited by: TikiAno 2013-12-01 17:52 ]

CY-berpunk
Awesomeeeeee bruddah

U da man

[ Edited by: Hang10tiki 2013-12-02 11:27 ]

ZeroTiki what a wonderful rendition, better than the original.

CY a master work of carpentry in addition to the album cover.

Tiki Ano thank you since coming up with this idea I was contacted to do another album cover for the Wish List.

Now the 24 days of Christmas is the countdown to our exchange! Christmas Cheer all around, Wendy

T

Waiting for Jon to begin the countdown.... okay, there's still a bunch of time left. :)

Here's version 2.0 of the "Exotica!" mug- it's narrower than my original. Here are the pics:

For comparison, here's it next to version 1.0:

Here's the bad news: the initial mug patch repair did not work, and another pinhole appeared when it was high (glaze) fired. Due to this, it's not water tight- mug is for decoration only. I will try to find a glass insert that I can put inside of it (which will hold liquid), but not sure if I will be able to find one in time.

Hope that's okay for the swap recipient. Look forward to seeing everyone else's work progress!

Ano- came out sweet
Dig da bamboo look

As requested

days to go......

Worst sound ever, slurp of an empty tiki mug through my straw!!!

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2013-12-03 10:56 ]

My piece is totally going to come in last minute. I've been swamped with christmas orders, non-stop commissions, and my Dawn's Fund Frasier event over on Fb to raise the clams to do a major licensing gig. BUT I haven't forgotten. Album cover is my favorite theme so far.

Love it David! Classic with a twist. If the hole doesn't get sealed then it's a sculpture, not a mug :)

You can do it Dawn!!! :D

Sophista in da house...

:)

I sketched out my design and tonight I should be putting paint to canvas.

Here's a crappy pic to prove I actually started:

Edited to show tonight's progress:

I'm pretty happy so far, which is actually a HUGE relief, lol!

Lori

[ Edited by: LoriLovesTiki 2013-12-04 18:31 ]

Go Lori go....
Cool colors

Jon

Great start Lori!

I put the brush to "canvas" today too, a base coat of "Fawn" to the outside and some "Spiced Cream" on the inside. Now into the kiln before starting all the other colors

Z

So beautiful... want them all.... DROOOOL
added the "album wear" and a touch more high/low tones for shape.

Now on to the always present official ZeroTiki secret toy surprise goodies!

Mike- nice fawn spice cream (sounds like a VooDoo doughnut choice)

Zero- sweet

Turned it
I gota bad neck

Worst sound ever, slurp of an empty tiki mug through my straw!!!

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2013-12-05 11:53 ]

I like it Zero!!!!

Jon, sounds tasty :lol:

Thanks Jon & Mike! No painting today b/c of Parent - Teacher conferences but this weekend I'll do some more. Everyone's stuff looks good, even those donuts....

LoriLovesTiki it looks great already.

ZeroTiki what a fun effect.

MadDogMike you get engaged and still had time for tiki. You are the man!

hang10tiki I love it when you do your "thing".

Wendy

T

Jon, good stuff. Everyone else, great stuff. :)

Mike, congratulations (again)!

Getting there. Does not represent the original as well as some of the other art on this thread, we'll call it "inspired by" :lol:

I can see from the picture that I need to soften the dark lines on the ears, the Wendy Photographic Review Technique saves another one! Headed back to the kiln today. After it is fired, I will get it wet and decide if I want to add a clear gloss to intensify the colors or if I'll leave it matte finish on the outside.

It's a little late now, but I realize these colors and patterns could have worked well for aluminum foil saggar firing.

Dude- u rock

Z

It's all so beautiful...Sniff...

C
cy posted on Sun, Dec 8, 2013 1:27 PM

The addition of the wear marks gave your album cover art that extra cool Zero touch! The ceramics are coming along great Mike and Ano and I like the progress report Lori. Except for a clear coat on the "wood" portions, my contribution is complete.

CY-clopean
Dude this one kicks ars.
One of my favorite pieces you've made

You have my address,
I'm just sayin

Wow MadDogMike and CY. You both are fabulous. Wendy

Absolutely PERFECT Cy!!!

What are you doing MadDog? You're not authorized to paint on canvas!!!! Now get rid of the evidence before the Art Police get here :o

MadDog you are full of talent and surprises. I can see the CD cover coming to life. Wendy

Finnish that piece of contraband
Then I'll be over to confiscate the evidence

C
cy posted on Tue, Dec 10, 2013 2:10 PM

ALL RIGHT MADDOG, WE KNOW YOU'RE IN THERE! DROP THE BRUSHES, PUT YOUR HANDS BEHIND YOUR HEAD AND SLOWLY BACK AWAY FROM THE CANVAS!

Mike, where did you get the square canvas? I couldn't find one!

Cy, that guy is over the top! I love your project.

Thanks for the encouragement my friends :)

Time to start doing some counting to see how many participants we have so far for this Swap. I expect that it will be a smaller quantity because of the upcoming Holidays but the quality is through the roof!

EDIT - Lori, I found it at Michael's Crafts. 12x12, they had both black and white.

When you hurry through life, you just get to the end faster.
Pirate Ship Tree House

[ Edited by: maddogmike 2013-12-10 19:36 ]

I got mine at AC Moore, another craft store but we have Michael's too. I'll keep in mind that they have squares. AC Moore only has rectangles.

Too late for this project though..... I'll probably lose points for that. (LOL)

On 2013-12-10 19:49, LoriLovesTiki wrote:
.... I'll probably lose points for that. (LOL)

This is kinda like T-Ball, nobody's keeping score (as far as you know :lol: )

When you hurry through life, you just get to the end faster.
Pirate Ship Tree House

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2013-12-11 11:58 ]

I find 13 artist who have posted the start of their pieces, but some have not posted any progress in a while.

MaukaHale
ZeroTiki
AnthonyMaye
Hang10Tiki
Cy
TikiAno
DanLovesTikis
MadDogMike
LoriLovesTiki
WaikikianMoeKele
TikiPops
bb moondog
Tigertail
(Let me know if I missed anyone)

Hopefully everyone will finish and we may get a few surprises out of the woodwork.
DEADLINE IS DECEMBER 24th (Christmas Eve) @ 9PM PACIFIC Swap results to be posted Christmas morning sometime.

13 my lucky number after 10.

Weird. In the mail this week I received a vintage mug from IRVEL S. of Boston, MA.
Does anyone know him? I don't think I do or why he sent me a mug. Maybe my memory is failing. Wendy

PS Mike that looks great

Great stuff! I have been swamped with work but will re-emerge shortly with my piece completed! How does the swap actually work? Names pull rout of a virtual Hat??

Wendy, were you taking place in the Winter Mug Swap? I got a PM from someone wanting to know which mugs you didn't have. I laughed at him and told him "Good luck!" :lol:

Tigertail, as Swap Coordinator I will do the drawing Christmas Eve evening. The names of everyone who has posted a picture of their finished piece will go into a Tiki Mug and I will draw out pairs of names. A and B will exchange, C & D, E & F, etc. If there is an odd number of Swapees, the last 3 drawn will exchange in a circular fashion - X to Y, Y to Z, and Z to X. Clear as mud? :D

I put a coat of Paste Wax on the outside of the mug. Gives it just a little sheen but mostly protects from fruit juice stains soaking into the unglazed surface. Made a wooden coaster to go under the mug, I'm calling it done!

It looks EXACTLY like the original as long as you don't compare them side by side :lol:

Wow MadDog you and CY are the whole package of multitalented whatchamacallits.

I did enter the Winter swap and that was completed before this mug arrived. I'll have to write to this guy to find out what's up. Thanks for checking.

Wendy

MadDog- it came out great cuz...

But why the big change?
Didn't you pull the names out of a bed pan last time

C
cy posted on Thu, Dec 12, 2013 8:15 AM

Exceptionally done Mike, the background piece really makes da mug pop. Outstanding!

Everyone's projects look awesome!! Any one of them will be great to receive. I didn't get much done last weekend & forgot to snap some pictures. The sun will be back out this weekend so I can finish the routering. Then I'll try to live to all the painting going on here. As always, I'm coming in at the end.

Tiki pops in da house

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 405 replies