Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Album Cover Art Swap - Deadline Dec 24th - It's Done!!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 405 replies

T

I carved a bit further to reveal the Moai hiding behind the bamboo on the test mug:

The "better mug" should be dry enough to carve next week, though working on this one will help. Had a slight mishap while trimming the Exotica Bowl (trimmed a bit too much). Piece is now repaired and letting the piece dry slowly in a bag which will hopefully cure it. Glad this Swap deadline is a ways away...

How's everyone else's pieces going?

Two thumbs up

Lori what a great album cover to work from and Tiki Ano your are doing great with all your carving. Wendy

C
cy posted on Sun, Oct 27, 2013 10:31 AM

Your creation is really taking shape Tiki Ano, nice work! I painted a few layers of acrylic on crescent board to add the color. I have not seen an original album cover but the dancing couple on the copies I have seen are very dark and too much in the background. They will stand out a bit more on my rendition. A few more layers, screen print the lettering over the top, and it's on to the frame.

Wow, great job CY. I heard Dan oohing over my shoulder.

I added the missed snake on a pole to my mug and then sanded it.

I added a few more deeper lines too.

Fun swap MadDogMike, Wendy

Cy-anide- Wow, looks just like the cover, and u didn't use a chainsaw...

Wendy- lookin sweet lil lady, nice extras

Jon
:)

Cy- that looks so sweet! i am really digging the colors that thing looks amazing.

Wendy- you are going all out that is really crazy for a mug someones going to be having a very happy christmas. :)

TikiAno- That mugs is looking damn fine too.

Thank you anthoneymaye. When are you coming over?

Close up before dusting with the air compressor.

The Album cover swap mug is cleaned up and ready for bisque firing.

Heat it up n show it off
:wink:

Out of the kiln and no cracks. Yippee, Wendy

Stunning...

I have been AWOL for a while working on non-tiki creative projects for work. Wendy, TikiAno, Cy, Jon, Anthony - you guys are going to town and putting me to shame :blush: I need to get crackin!!! Lori, looking forward to see where you go with your album.

I've got a long 12 hour nightshift ahead of me and (hopefully) not too much work to do. I brought some clay and tools, let's see what I can get done tonight

When I printed this picture out in greyscale, you can really see the canvas texture. I'll have to see if I can add a like texture to him after he is all carved, sculpted, and hollowed out.

Go Mike go
U inspired me, I want to bring chisels to the ER

Can't wait to see the magic

Jon

:lol: Jon, I'm the only one in the department tonite. I'm not sure you could pull off chisels in the ER :lol:

When you hurry through life, you just get to the end faster.
Pirate Ship Tree House

[ Edited by: MadDogMike 2013-10-30 21:12 ]

Basic sculpt is done, now to let him dry some and firm up. Then cleave him in half with a machete and hollow him out! He will be interesting to hollow out, the deep eye sockets will make a constriction at the top of the mug, ice cubes may be a problem. The top knot will be slab formed and added after the halves are re-joined.

Don't worry little Moai guy, lightning never strikes twice in the same place

Hang in there my little hollow-headed friend, we'll have you back together in no time

There, no one will ever know!

Now you go back in the bag and I'll try to clean up this mess before the next shift comes in :D

Inside the mug behind the eyes is about 1.5 x 1.25 inches, so ice cubes won't be a problem. Next will be to finish cleaning up the seams, add a bottom and a top knot.

T

Mike,

Great to see you're working hard.... at work. Great to see your step by steps, learned quite a bit! Great details, look forward to seeing it progress- and your solution for the eye socket "issue" re: cubes, though I'm sure you have a few ideas up yer sleeves.

Happy Halloween, all!

Dude
U r killin me
Who makes a mug in one night, at work no less

Awesome

Jon

T

Since the test piece is pretty much carved I started working on the "real" swap piece. Unfortunately only took one (initial) photo so far. Sketched out the Moai first for the Exotica mug...

I then drew all the bamboo and started trimming away. The clay was still pretty wet & unfortunately had to make some repairs along the way due to some overzealous trimming. The repairs are now setting under plastic. Will wait until next week to see how it set up. All of the bamboo is trimmed away and most of the moai's face. Sorry I only took this 'teaser' photo, forgot to take more....

This mug is a bit taller, and narrower, then the 'tanker' one already carved- it also holds a lot less liquid, which is better for most-- but not all (yes, thinking about you, Jon). :wink:

You men are teaching me a lot. Mike, I'd forgotten that a mug could be made that way. Terrific, Wendy

Ano- sweet
Will be fun to watch ya make it
Go big ...... Lol

:wink:

Jon

Here's my next step on the Swap mug.

I like to think of this mug as having been made from nothing. It isn't a tiki that I've carved to make it fancy. It started as a plane tube and by carving, it turned into an album cover.

I glazed the inside in glossy black and gold.
On the outside I used pottery coat a flat black.

I let it sit until it dried.

Using wet paper towels I removed glaze from the surfaces that I wanted exposed.

Now I let this dry again for a day.

I want this mug to seem old.

I'm going to meet the MadDogMike deadline. Cheers, Wendy

Wendy, that is turning out all kinds of awesome!!! That glaze technique really brings out the carved details, BRAVO!!!

C
cy posted on Fri, Nov 1, 2013 4:55 PM

MDM, I did not know you could design a mug like that, very inspiring to me. Using a machete and getting paid for it is even better. Wendy your experience is really shining through on this one, the additions have really brought it to life!

Wendy- The Duke of Mad Dog is right, it does pop out the detail...
Cy-clorama I don't think cutting a mug in 1/2 with a chainsaw is a good idea...

I finally chose an album cover...

Now I have it graphed...

& ready to start working on the design in needlepoint on 22 stitches to the inch canvas.

~kele

Kele, cross-stich? Very cool!

Thanks guys. In the hands of a master like Babalu, the technique of sculpting solid and hollowing out can produce an amazing mug

A little more work on the Waitiki Moai

Kele- love that cover and idea. Can't wait to see more
Mad Dog- lookin good

Jon

MadDogMike now we'll all be missing Babalu. Good thing you are doing a great job too.

Kele, that's a terrific idea and a lot of work. Please keep us posted. Wendy

Definitely missin' Babalu. Don't think I'll live long enough to ever get as talented as him :lol:

Added ears and did some work to the bottom of the mug.

Added a slab bottom then dimpled it in to make a "foot"

Textured it with some burlap to give it the canvas look. The burlap is nice and flexible, conforms to the surface much better than canvas would.

Not sure exactly how this texture will translate to glaze. Guess I should make a few test tiles while I'm at it.
I also noticed that somehow I lost his "forehead" so it looks a little different than the original album cover. The nostrils still need a little work.

I also "cheated" the proportions a bit to make him a bit larger, front to back, so that there is a big enough cavity to hold a decent drink

I like
A lot

On the way home from San Diego playin your album Mad Dog

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2013-11-03 19:02 ]

I picked up a copy of that CD to go with the mug :)

Wow that is so good. Wendy

T

Mike, wow, awesome stuff. I look forward to hearing the CD along with the mug. Sorry, Jon, you're disqualified since you already have the album. :)

Kele, look forward to seeing it progress!

Did a little more work today on Art Swap pieces- I forgot to take photos last time- here's what it looks like now. I think this version is a much more "mug-worthy" shaped drinking vessel. Carved in the bamboo:

Then cut in a Martin Denny (esque?) Moai which will take the place of the original subject on the Exotica album:

Had to patch one more hole, so it's drying out once again, will hopefully bisque fire it next week. All of the pencil lines will burn off when it's bisque fired.

My second option is an Exotica bowl. Instead of carving I plan on using glaze to detail the interior of the (badly) thrown bowl. Will see what happens. I drew a rough outline of the design onto the interior of the bowl:

I plan to use a solid glaze for the exterior of the bowl, though might (might) label it as "Exotica." Still TBD. The interior will be a mix of underglazes, tinted wax resist, as well as some "standard" glazes. Wish me luck.

I like them David! Good luck with those glazes - always a critical step!

Ano- :)

So many projects that are SO wonderful!

As always, would love to receive any of them!

~kele

C
cy posted on Tue, Nov 5, 2013 8:00 PM

One of the things I like about these swaps is that I learn a lot about processes in art that are not familiar to me. Pert near done with the album cover, will touch up portions with paint then it's on to the frame.

You are rockin' it Cy. Actually BETTER than the original, Baxter should have commissioned you to do his album cover (except that you weren't even a gleam in your father's eye in 1951!)

CYtotoxin- wow, that is awesome......bammmmmmm....great colors
Can't wait to see the frame

Jon

T

Cy, that's awesome. Okay, it looks like I'll have to win that, too. Sorry, all.

Cy you are such a talented artist. WOW, Wendy

MDM - you constantly amaze me with your skills! Everyone is doing a bang up job! Cy, your painting rocks. Wendy, your mug is fantastic. Kele, I used to do cross stitch, what a creative idea! And TikiAno, looking good. Hope I didn't miss anyone!

I just can't get motivated - sigh. But if I want to be the lucky recipient of one of your really nice pieces I have to get cracking.

Cy~ I agree with Hang10tiki, those colors are AMAZING!
~kele

My mug survived the bisque fire without any structural cracks. Holds a respectable 16 ounces

Not identical but somewhat similar. I need to sit down and order some glazes next

Two big Tiki thumbs up Mad Man

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 405 replies