Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

2 of my New Wacky Packages paintings for Series 9, 2012. p. 103

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 1,554 replies

Mister Gambino,

Really cool! Super swanky! I love that I can recognize what tiki mug he's holding! How will the glittery paint job reproduce as a poster?

H
hewey posted on Thu, Mar 22, 2007 4:30 AM

Sweet - Gambino with flake! :D

awesome! and the best part is that it's a guaranteed sale!! i know david is gonna want this for his gallery, obviously.....maybe that's the secret!! make art with the galleries name where you are showing on it and it has to sell...LOL

nice work same...good to see you doing tiki again.

excellent work sam so cooooooooooooooool

Thanks a bunch, Tiki Shark, hewey, Tipsy McS and Marcus!

Hey Tiki Shark Art- Hopefully it will photograph alright... The photo shown here would work fairly well at higher res (I hope!). You noticed my shameless plug of the Sam's Shrunken Head! :)

Hey hewey- Thanks! It's not metalflake paint yet, but you know... baby steps....

Hey Tipsy McStagger- David commissioned it beforehand, but that is a good tip for selling a painting!

Thanks Marcus - I always value your feedback!

G
GROG posted on Fri, Mar 23, 2007 12:13 AM

Dude. Sex sells!

Hmmmm... disturbing. And sorta hot.

T

Grog has an eye for art.

Your lettering from here, looks perfect. I was watching some pinstripes two weekends ago, and their lettering didn't look as good as one would think.

C

Very Nice! the male version I mean...

Grog! Where are you when I'm painting these paintings??? I keep forgetting that SEX SELLS! You always remind me after the fact.... :wink:

Thanks for the compliment on my lettering teaKey! That's nice of you to say, but they're probably much better stripers than I! :)

Thanks for the comp, Clarita!

Here are 2 new tiki rockabilly paintings - the return of Tiki-Cat... The first one is a takeoff of the old Sun Records logo. Both are enamel on board. Thanks for looking!

http://www.samgambino.com

H
hewey posted on Thu, Mar 29, 2007 9:49 PM

More great art Sam!

Did you clear over the glitter to stop it coming off?

Saw one of your designs is now featured on a shirt – nice man! How about some funky Sam Gambino bowling shirts?

Thanks hewey! Hey bowling shirts.... I'm really into that good old bowling genre. Not a bad idea! I checked them a while back - some are pricey and some not so much... Maybe I'll see how the t-shirts do first. Thanks again!

Hey, I want a TIki Cat and the Tiki Tones t-shirt! That would be waaaaaaay cool daddy-o! Please let us know when you got em ready!

Thanks Tiki Shark Art- I'll post the notice here if the shirts come to pass... Thanks for the advance order!

I always dig going through and checking out all your paintings in your thread. So much talent, it's crazy, man!! Great new pieces sam!

does the second painting have any link to the band the tiki tones? Just curious.

On 2007-03-23 00:13, GROG wrote:
Dude. Sex sells!

This looks like Bob Hope's daughter with a hot bod and a ski jump nose.

The DVA piece is pretty sign-alishus an' tiki-tastic Sam-enam-Gam.

To drown sorrow, where should one jump first and best? "Certainly not water. Water rusts you." -Frank Sinatra

[ Edited by: sneakytiki 2007-03-31 23:04 ]

Damn Sam Gam!
That Sun Records piece is great! How do you keep your hand so steady? Do you work on these on a table or easel? I'm just trying to figure out how you can get so many great blends as well as crisp lines with this enamel! Crazy! You ever paint a part then realize your elbow is smearing some other area? Pobably not! You're a freakin Pro! Thanks for the inspiration and motivation!

C

On 2007-03-29 22:04, Sam Gambino wrote:
Thanks hewey! Hey bowling shirts.... I'm really into that good old bowling genre. Not a bad idea! I checked them a while back - some are pricey and some not so much... Maybe I'll see how the t-shirts do first. Thanks again!

Great idea! That would be extremely cool! I want a jacket customize by you! Is not that I can afford it but dreaming is for free you know... Some Sam patches maybe :)

Thanks so much for the kind words....

Hey Polynesiac- I wasn't thinking at all about the band when I painted it, but I guess it's kind of a good coincidence! I just liked the way it rolled off the tongue...

Hey Sneakytiki- You should see the tiki face I was going to use - my wife said it didn't look "tiki" enough. I was going for a game show host type of tiki head, but he looked a lot like Bob Hope/Wink Martindale with a square tiki head. I did leave a little Bob Hope in this guy, so you are right! Grog added the hot bod. I'm waiting for him to "Grog" these new paintings with a little bit of femininity.... I've come to expect it! Where are you Grog?????

Thanks little lost tiki! How did you know about the elbow?? It happens all the time. I end up finding paint on my elbow after I think I've cleaned up. I paint these on my workbench lying flat. I had an easel but got rid of it because my paintings are never larger than 16x20 and the easel was way too big. I'm used to the boards or canvas lying flat anyhow.

Thanks too, Clarita- Hey, patches are a good idea too! I have thought about painting up a leather coat with enamel. I appreciate the very kind words!

Is a lot of your work stenciled? I'm realllly into it. (and stenciling)

Thanks, CutThroat. No, I don't stencil anything - I just refuse any coffee before I paint! :)

C

great work as always sam!!! the perfection of the lines and shapes are amazing....

(boxing up brushes and setting them on fire)

Thanks Clysdalle!!! - but Please don't burn any brushes!! You've been kicking out some killer stuff yourself!

T

WOOP!
Hey Sam - just opened my print of the Sandy Warner painting a few moments ago and it's f#@%!in' gorgeous! In fact, it's too good to do what I originally had in mind and now I have to sweat out thinking up a better frame design.
(and a helluva start for breaking out of my winter hibernation and gettin' my arse back into the realm of tiki, too)
Thanks!

PS - any Yma Sumac ideas floating around for the future?

Hey Sam!
Just got my Easter Island print from ya! Thanks! It's such a difference seeing the
smaller digitized version on the computer,then BAMMO! seeing the actual size
and impact in real life! Very Cool! Beautiful painting! Looking at it ,you get that
feeling that you're with REAL ART! Goosebumps!
Enamel on canvas...you probably had a blast with all the texture,
as opposed to the smooth surfaces you usually work on...
Thanks again! Any more werewolves being painted up?

Hi Twitch and Ken-

Thanks so much for the kind words about the prints! I hope you enjoy them. I'm glad that they finally got to you. The mail seems to be taking longer and longer lately...

Twitch- Yma Sumac is excellent subject matter! She'd make a great painting. I just have to catch up so I can work on all of these ideas I've been writing down. :)

Hey Ken- No werewolf paintings yet, as the commissions have been stacked up - mostly digital stuff for businesses lately. I'm dying to get back into the paint though. I have more Ed Roth and Munster commission paintings to do before I get back into the other fun stuff!

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino 2007-04-30 22:18 ]

Here's my decanter for the DvA Gala Tiki show complete with planets, satellites, galaxies and comets. I dug out all of my space age LPs for inspiration. Thanks for looking!

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino 2007-05-30 23:41 ]

just perfection my friend wheres mine

Very cool Sam! I knew you'd pop out something Killer!The Lunar surface and celestial objects in space take the cake! What a killer show this is turning out to be! :)
Did you clone that decanter,cause it looks like there's two! It wouldn't surprise me if you painted two......Craaaaaaaaaaaaazay!

[ Edited by: little lost tiki 2007-05-31 08:17 ]

That kicks ass Sam....great work as always....got any bigger photos?? I want to drool on a close up!

T

Ties into you Gala Event sign that you did. Saw an ad for it in a strange art magazine. Really getting your work out there more and more.

The background looks so real, its like the tiki is climbing through a portal.

C

Wow! Great! Very very nice! Congrats!

F

I'm driving over to your side of the bay tonight to kidnap the decanter and take it home with me. Very cool, I want lessons in painting and marketing from you.

Hey marcus- It's great to hear from you... Thanks for the kind words!

Hey little lost tiki - thanks a bunch too! I wish I had enough time to clone it. I find it rough to pull off 2 paintings of the same kind. It's easier just to do "photoshop" clones! :)

Hi Clysdalle- I replaced the original pic with a new one showing all 4 sides in daytime light. Gotta have that daylight... I'm a lousy photographer! Thanks for the comps too!

Hey teaKey- I appreciate the kind words too! Was that Juxtapoz you saw the ad in?

Clarita- Thank you! I always appreciate your input.

Hey frostiki- I could brush up on my marketing! Got any tips??? :wink:

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino 2007-05-31 15:08 ]

H
hewey posted on Thu, May 31, 2007 3:20 PM

Looks great Sam! Really suits the rocket :D

Thanks hewey- I appreciate your feedback!

G
GROG posted on Fri, Jun 1, 2007 1:24 AM

GROG like. Sex sells, and that's one sexy decanter Sam-Gam.

Sama-gamma-enama-mana You hasah good space rays an good tiki manas, you decanter is cosmiklee delishus!! --groan--!!!

GREAT F'in work Sam! Keep it up and YOU will be "Surfin' With the Alien".

:drink: :)

F

Sam,

For only $19.95 you too can own the Frostiki marketing manual complete with instructions on how to procrastinate and look around TC until the last minute. But wait that's not all if you act now we'll throw in "How to have local galleries tell you that they aren't really looking for your style" for free.

I'd say my first markting tip is don't ask me, I'm not haveing a whole lot of luck. So in the meantime I'll keep sketching away and trying to figure out how to get the winning lotto ticket next time I go to P-Cola.

Thanks for the comps, Grog & Sneakytiki! Grog, I guess I could've included a bomber girl on the rocket.... I swear, I never think of these things until I hear from you!

Frostiki- I see you've already stolen my marketing manual and you're trying to sell it back to me... :wink:

F

Damn, I hoped you wouldn't notice.

C

Boom Boom Boom! That a nice lookin' rocketship ya got there Sam! Outstandin detail and flawless letterin' to be sure.
Far out!
Chongolio

Nice decanter Sam.

Looks galactic Sam!

When are you going to come to L.I. to pinstripe my Speedmaster?

Hey, thanks, Chongo. Great to hear from ya!

Thanks too, Flounder. It's a nice decanter to work with.

Thanks Raffer. Bring that crazy Speedmaster to me and I'll stripe it up while you wait...

Here's the new painting for Brushes, Needles and Burnouts 2 in October at Kustom Kulture Gallery. By request, it's a another version of last years Ed Roth painting.

Thanks for looking!

Jesus Christ, Sam! What can I even say? Your painting skills are out of control. If I didn't know you I would bet my life that it's a photograph. Amazing!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 1554 replies