Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

2 of my New Wacky Packages paintings for Series 9, 2012. p. 103

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 1,554 replies

Thank you foamy, congatiki and rodeotiki!

Hey rodeotiki- I can't carve worth a flip! In fact, I have a gash in my hand that reminds me - but you and the other carvers here never fail to amaze me....

http://www.samgambino.com

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino 2005-09-14 15:15 ]

Nice work Sam- dig it!

Thanks Capt!

Sam, If you told me you used an airbrush I would have beleived you.

Nice painting Sam. You are quite the mix master. I love the monochromatic shine of that front fender.

The woody looks like its missing a hood and the front bumper. but the painting is tight.

And 11x14? Great job

Thanks for posting it.

ebass

Thanks Raffertiki! I've not really ever used an airbrush - messed with one when I was 10. This is all Mack Brush. :wink:

Thanks Alientiki- Yes, it is missing those things, but I guess that's how the owner's car is. It was painted from a photo he sent.

Brilliant!

Thanks for the kind words, AA.

Sam that woody is awesome.

Wow! Great painting Sam!

Thanks, Marcus and Doug - that's quite a compliment coming from you guys...

Not tiki you say? This is the werewolf who was drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's (thanks Warren) :wink:

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Oct 9, 2005 5:38 AM

Sam,

Your paintings never cease to amaze me. I absolutely fell in love with some of the last few pieces you've posted - like "The Lingerer". I am a big horror flick buff. This guy looks just like the wolfman of old. Your layout and detailing abilities are far beyond even seasoned painters. ???Maybe one day you'll paint an attacking tiki-man with a chainsaw ala Leatherface in "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre"....not to try to give you ideas or anything....

Keep them coming, It's always refreshing to see your work on here.

-Gman

H
hewey posted on Sun, Oct 9, 2005 6:00 AM

Thats cool :) Sweet style, and lovely execution. Cool

C

aaaahhh-oooooooo! That is really far out Sam, I mean like ghoulishly groovy man. Wolfie never looked better and so well groomed. A definative pillar in the wolfman society. I would,nt mind seeing a few more monsters come out of your lab.

Happy Halloween,

The Chongolio From 1000 fathoms

B

Sam, another great one. Just when things are getting a bit stale, you come along and stir up the pot. Excellent.

I love it. Great work as always Sam. What brush are you using for lettering ?

Thanks so much GMAN, hewey, Chongo, Ben and rodeotiki!

Great idea, GMAN ...now you have me thinking "Leatherface' .. or maybe that bald guy from "The Hills Have Eyes"....

Hey Chongo, with these Halloween shows coming up, I'm trying to brew up more monsters!

Hey rodeotiki, the brushes I use for lettering vary .. some are 20 years old with the numbers and name worn off, but I do use a few Grumbachers which must be sable hair - no stiff or springy bristles. Usually long bristles work best for me for lettering. Windsor & Newton and of course, Mack brushes work well too.

Thanks again for the kind words!

Ya know sam, your work is just totlly mind blowing awesome. Look at that wolf man. totally convincing that it's a REAL wolfman posing for that picture. (or at least a 1950's version of a "real" wolfman). Stunning. Are you going to make prints of this one?

by the way...back in August I went to an art show here in LA (I forget the name of it, but it had crazy al, tt, smokin' menehunas, and a bunch of way cool artists, incuding you) but I had a chance to stand up and close to your grandpa munster painting. AMazing stuff.

Have fun making your halloween paintings and please post more of them - they are way cool

Thank you, Polynesiac! I really appreciate the comps on Ol' Grandpa too! I enjoyed painting this one. I will be offering prints of it too. I need to have it scanned yet, but when it's ready, I'll post it here.

Spooktacular!

W

wow! prints would be excellent!
My hubby loves werewolves!
when he was little his grnadparents thought it was os wonderful he said his prayers every night... hje was actually saying the werewolf prayer!

“Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms. And the autumn moon is bright.”

beautiful painting!

Here's the new painting for the Halloween show at the A StuArt Gallery. It's 16x20 enamel on canvas. It's inspired by a Three Stooges short I watched recently where Shemp is serenaded by a She -Devil, and it's based on an old 1950's Dance Party LP. Hope you like it...

[ Edited by: sam gambino 2005-10-21 00:04 ]

K

man your good, how do you get it so detailed..whens the show...

Thanks a bunch, Kirby. It's on the 29th of this month from 8pm until midnight or possibly later.

H
hewey posted on Fri, Oct 21, 2005 1:19 AM

Awesome art. Again. Looks like an old school photo, the quality is awesome. Nice work Sam!

(bout time for another tiki me thinks)

F
foamy posted on Fri, Oct 21, 2005 5:45 AM

Sam strikes again. Good work Mr. G.

W

wow sam you are amazing, you have both the imagination and the talent/ and skill to pull it off.

B

I Love it. I wonder if this guy knows the trouble he is about to experience? Really love the expression on her (?) face.
Sam, you continue to amaze me with your consistantly high quality work.

More eye treats just in time for halloween. Ah yes Shemp. A fine tribute to the often overlooked stooge. I always thougth it was cool how those funny looking stooge fellas always scored those hot chicks. Nice work Sam, Have fun at the show.

woo woo woo woo,
Chongolio

I wonder if this guy knows the trouble he is about to experience?

He'd have to be a stooge not to. Oh...yeah...well...hmnnn...

Great piece Sam.

Thanks a bunch, hewey, foamy, wicked, Ben, Chongo and Raffertiki. This one was fun to do, and in a small, subtle way, I was able to pay homage to Shemp. Don't get me wrong, I like Curly, but I must admit that I do enjoy those Shemp hijinks more...

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Oct 21, 2005 4:53 PM

Sam,

Something about her hand gives me the willies!!!!

-Gman

H
hewey posted on Sun, Dec 4, 2005 4:52 AM

Sam? You havent posted nay newbies in a while, everything okay?

Aloha sam!!!!!!!!

Your art is Incredable my friend!!! Keep em flowing and showing em, thanks for sharing with us , Aloha your friend ,Mooney

Thanks hewey and Mooney. I've been incredibly busy - with the holidays and generic art commissions that I haven't had much time to post in a while, but I'll be posting some things soon for a couple of upcoming shows. I miss being around here as much!

J

Sam,
I'm new here and I just went through this posting. When are you coming out with a book? Put me on the list when you do.
JP

K

i love she devils...the are WAY more desirable than she angels...just my thing i guess!

enamel??? YIKES! how are your lungs?

Thanks, Johnny P for the very kind words. A book is something I've considered. There may be one in the near future - thanks for the reinforcement!

On 2005-12-22 12:08, kooche wrote:
i love she devils...the are WAY more desirable than she angels...just my thing i guess!

enamel??? YIKES! how are your lungs?

Kooche - they're shot, and they may have taken a brain cell or 2 with them.... :wink:

B

Sam, Glad to see you out'n'about fishin for whales, tellin them tales . It'll take more thaan a few cells to keep you down bro. Come on in and Let 'er rip

Look who's talking, Ben... You're the guy who has surgery and comes back carving bigger, better and stronger everytime - you inspire me, and I'm sure others too.

I hope everyone had a great Christmas and New Year. Mine was fine, but BUSY. However, I hated to see it pass.

Here's the latest painting - enamel and gold leaf on 16x20 stretched canvas. I couldn't resist showing my appreciation for Nancy Sinatra - one of my favorite '60's babes (in addition to Marilyn Munster!). It's for the M Modern Gallery Blonde Bombshells Show on Saturday, January 14.

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino 2006-01-02 10:19 ]

That's funny, we were just listening to "These Boots are Made for Walking" last night. Her expression seems to change from an amused grim to a scowl. Very nice.

I just love your work Sam. Just recently I noticed my Mom has a Nacny Sinatra album in her collection. When I asked her about it she said, "I don't know why that's in there. I could never stand her." Whatever Mom, just admit it. :wink:

Thank you, Raffertiki and finkdaddy. I've been a fan of hers since before her song was featured in "Full Metal Jacket."

B

Sam, This is a Beautifuljob on the "Boots" girl. I too, love the look on her face. you really found her inner soul on this one. Who you gonna do next, Cher?? You should do a whole series of these for your new book. I Always love it when you post your art work.

Great work Sam.

Portraits and specifically skin tones are difficult to do with oils and they mix well on canvas.

And you went and did it with enamels. Hats off, great job.

Good luck with the exhibition.

e

Thanks, Ben and Alien Tiki. I'm sort of new to the portrait stuff, so your kind words mean MUCH to me! Ben, Cher....interesting! Maybe the early '70's Cher from the show with Sonny. That's how I remember her most.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 1554 replies