Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

2 of my New Wacky Packages paintings for Series 9, 2012. p. 103

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 1,554 replies

Thanks hipster! You're a real hip dude!

D
DJLee posted on Mon, May 8, 2006 7:31 PM

Hey Sam

Your gold flake Dionysus Records painting hangs proudly in my office!

Best
Lee

Alright! Thanks for letting me know, Lee. I wondered who ended up with him... now I'm sure the painting has a good home!

T

Aloha Sam!!

Just wanted to let you know that your fun shrunken head mugs are doing great at the Thor Stor in Waikiki!! I have a tall, Jivaro Indian Tsantsa coming out this summer and we will create a little "head shrinkin" section. Have you seen the display where your mugs are?? I have a few pics if not.

I have not been on here in ages but making it a goal to take a little more time to relax and enjoy this place. Anyway....warm Aloha's!

THOR

DANG!! Those last to are CRAZY GO NUTZ. They do look like actual pictures. Unbelievable, simply mind bogglin' Hey Sam, I got to see the original "Trpyno Tiki" at Oasis 6. Dr. Shocker had brought it down and had it hangin' in the Cult of the Eye room. I was jazzed to see it up close. Your detail is amazing and even better when seen in real life.

Chongolio

Hey Thor- Thank you for the kind words. I know what you mean about hanging here at TC. I don't get around as much as I used to either. Congrats on the mug coming out too. I'd love to see pics too - I hadn't seen the display.

Hey Chongo- Thank you too for the very kind words, as I really value the opinions of my friends at good ol' TC! I didn't know that Trypno was at the Oasis. It was Trypno, right? Not Hypno? Oh, I get those 2 cats mixed up all the time...... :wink:

On 2006-05-16 15:14, Chongolio wrote:
... I got to see the original "Trpyno Tiki" at Oasis 6. Dr. Shocker had brought it down and had it hangin' in the Cult of the Eye room...

No fricking way! I missed tripnotiki in person? Room crawling is a must next year! I love that one too Sam.

Come on Sam - wheres your next piece? we are waiting with baited breath.....

Thanks, hodad and marcus! I'm working on the London Luau and Gotham pieces right now. I'll be posting them when they materialize...Thanks again!

Keep it coming! It ,amazingly enough, just keeps getting better.

Thanks, Matt!

Here's the new gold leaf and enamel on stretched canvas painting for Cheekytiki's London Luau 2006 Show. It's my tiki from last year's London Luau with a little "Bond" worked into it:

http://www.samgambino.com

H
hewey posted on Wed, May 24, 2006 7:40 AM

Awesome work as always Sam!

I know you keep feeding these line about being busy and all that, but how about some more art like the lingerer? :)

Cool man

Amazing work. I don't know how you can create so much art at such a fast rate and still keep the quality top-notch. My hat is off to you.

Thanks so much, hewey and Matt.

Hewey, I need to find time to do more Lingerer style art, but I'm busy and getting BUSIER everyday.

Hey Matt, I appreciate the kind words about the quality of my artwork. I have a hard time kicking out stuff for quantity instead of quality. I'm glad that you've noticed that, because I try to keep tabs on that. Thanks again!

B

Hello Sam, This guy looks like the Successful, Proper, English Gentlemanly Duelist. Blow the smoke away and Who's next? Something about this one I Really Love Sam. Of course that shit-eating Grin may well be a Grimace because the way he is holding his arm, he may have Not been quite so successful as it seems?
Top Shelf all the way.

Hey Ben- Thanks for the kind words!

Yes, he may have been hit in the stomach. Hmmmmmmmm....

On 2006-05-16 21:37, Sam Gambino wrote:
Hey Chongo- Thank you too for the very kind words, as I really value the opinions of my friends at good ol' TC! I didn't know that Trypno was at the Oasis. It was Trypno, right? Not Hypno? Oh, I get those 2 cats mixed up all the time...... :wink:

My bad, It was Hypno. I blame the confusion on the all the booze that was circulatin' around the Cult of the Eye room.

Chongolio

On 2006-05-28 18:31, Chongolio wrote:

On 2006-05-16 21:37, Sam Gambino wrote:

My bad, It was Hypno. I blame the confusion on the all the booze that was circulatin' around the Cult of the Eye room.

Chongolio

Sheee-it! Hypno was at Oasis?? And I missed it??? And I was IN the Cult of the Eye room!!!

Ah, MAN! Okay, if anyone should have that painting, I guess it's the Cult. Just bummed to have missed it. That painting is near and dear for me....

Here's the new Gotham piece for the show at MModern at the end of June. It's enamel on 14x18 stretched canvas. I thoroughly dig Vincent Price, so I couldn't resist painting him as Egghead. How cool is he? I mean, he loved art, he was associated with Shrunken Head toys, the Brady Bunch, tikis, Horror movies, Batman and appeared in one of the Beach Party movies. I can only hope to be a fraction of that cool by the time I'm in my '80's! By the way, the painting was still wet when I shot this lousy picture 20 minutes ago...

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino 2006-05-29 23:42 ]

K

I just love your painting of Vincent Price as Egghead.

Perchance, have you made the acquaintence of the Abominable Dr. Phibes?

Sam, thats egg-celent!
Boo, hiss, boo, I'm sorry, couldn't resist

F
foamy posted on Tue, May 30, 2006 5:16 AM

Great work, as always Sam. I can see your work turning up on metal somewhere in the future. Good luck at the show, I'm sure it'll wow'em.

Another classic. Eggstraodinairy work.

On 2006-05-30 04:59, cheekytiki wrote:
Sam, thats egg-celent!

On 2006-05-30 09:00, Matt Reese wrote:
Another classic. Eggstraodinairy work.

My feelings eggsactly. I am sure somebody will Shell out some chicken scratch for that one. No seriously, I am not yolking around.

Cluckolio

P.S. Does the Gotham Diner serve Chongolian Chicken?

Great Sam! Hey that's kinda tiny...Are you painting all the fonts too?

isn't that a wonderful painting, oliver?

Thanks so much for the kind words, everyone. Hey foamy, how did you know? There are metal and wood signs of my work coming out right now. Hey hodad, I did paint the letters. Great pic, J$....

Sam,

Recently I acquired one of your dinky shrunken head shot glasses to go together with my larger one. I love it, they are my favorite tiki mug out there right now. Are you ever going to get back into your shrunken head theme, it was excellent?

Will

Thanks, Will. I'm glad that you like the shrunken head mugs. I'll never actually stop "doing" a theme like saying that I'm going to stop doing tiki or shrunken head paintings, etc. Sometimes I'll take a break from a theme for a while because I'll get on another kick. That sort of keeps things fresh and fun. I took a little break from tiki paintings, but I've been working on new ones lately just as I have new ideas for shrunken head paintings too. I'm due to paint more shrunken heads soon, as I have more ideas for them.

Hey Sam!

I visited your site again and love your gold leaf Lucky Luciano.

Would love to see a whole gangster series form you...and don't forget Jewish mobsters Myer Lansky, Bugsy Siegel, Arnold Rothstein, Legs Diamond, Dutch Schultz, Louis Lepke, Detroit's notorious Purple Gang and of course Murder Incorporated, the Jewish-Italian enforcement co-operative that essentially overpowered Irish organized crime for nearly half a century...

Oh, BTW, I can't believe you haven't painted this guy yet!

Come on!!!

Thanks hodad - all those guys are on my future hit list.... their time will come!

Sam, love that Vincent Price as an egghead piece.
The realism is amazing, great job.

H
hewey posted on Wed, May 31, 2006 7:54 PM

Very kool Mr Gambino :)

Thanks a bunch, Doug and hewey. I really value your opinions!

B

Another really cool Gambino piece hits the street. I'm really loving what you are doing with these old characters., Nice

Thanks Ben - Always a pleasure to hear from you!

Here's the new painting for the DVA Show in Chicago. He's holding his cigarette between his lip and his nose.... An old trick that drives them all wild down at the Social Club. It's 14x18 enamel on masonite:

That nose kicks ass!

SF

Another great piece Sam!
Very cool.

B

HEy Sam I REALLY Love this PA guy. He's just my kind of guy. I think I would like to carve him one of these dayz if thats OK?.
HappyHappyHappy

MR

Another one? Unbelievable! Great piece as always. Very cool.

H
hewey posted on Sun, Jun 4, 2006 12:08 AM

Great to see some more tiki work Sam! Love the sneaky hand in the jacket

Thanks much, Raffer, Doug, Ben, Matt and hewey! He does have somewhat of a boxer's nose... Ben, I'd love to see him "Benzart-ed"!

Nice work Sam, what do you prefer doing? Tiki Art of Portrait art. Now get back to your brushes.

Thanks, Marcus! I really like doing both.... but the portraits take much longer than the tiki paintings.

Here's my Goldfinger Painting for the 007 Show at M Modern at the end of this month. Not tiki, but sort of "hipster '60's" :wink:

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Jul 3, 2006 8:57 PM

Good god Sam, it looks like a photo of him. How do you do that!

I want my baby back baby back baby back.....I want my baby back baby back baby back!

Get in my belly!

-Gman

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 1554 replies