Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

2 of my New Wacky Packages paintings for Series 9, 2012. p. 103

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 1,554 replies

Here's a new painting I've wanted to do for a while (go figure!), and since it is a parody of a well-known, vintage, thrift store LP, I thought that some here may find it interesting. It's enamel on board. Thanks for looking!

http://www.samgambino.com

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino 2006-12-01 22:23 ]

S
squid posted on Fri, Dec 1, 2006 10:41 PM

Sam, that One-Shot Enamel surely has replaced your natch'l blood by now. Rock on with Bill! When are you coming to LA dammit?

Thanks squid! It's great to hear from ya... I'm looking at coming to LA sometime this coming year... not sure of the exact date yet though.

sam thats awesome totally love him it is always cool to see what you are going to do next

Sam your paintings are about as close to photo-perfect as I can imagine. Whew...too many
margaritas during the Packer game.
Anyway...always great work and I really like this one....love those 50s album covers.

That's the good shat right there! NICE!

Thanks so much for the comps, Marcus, congatiki and Sneakytiki. I thought I'd finally try to give Shatner his due :wink: .

Another great piece Sam, love it.

Thanks, Doug!

Hot damn Sam! Your painting skills are mesmorizing! I have to keep telling myself its not a photograph.

Nice mug and print... love how you present it as a nice little collector's package.

One of these days I should get around to making a mug... enough wood for a while.

[ Edited by: Lake Surfer 2006-12-05 23:57 ]

F

Damn Sam If you hadn't told me that was a painting I would have thought that is was another piece of Shat. That is incredible, the photo-realism is on point. I think I may have to break out My Shat/Ben Folds CD this afternoon because of this. And in an unrelated note, My wife just informed me that you used to live right across the bay from me in Fairhope. (I know, "What cave have you been living in, Frostiki?") Glad to know that there are other Tiki Folk in this part of the world.

..nice work sam....good to see you diversify but.....goddamnit!! when are you going to crank out more tiki paintings!??

Thanks a bunch, Lake Surfer, Frostiki and Tipsy! Coming from you guys, those are some fine compliments... Lake Surfer, you should try some mugs, but don't stop carving!!! I do have some tiki paintings in line coming up, Tipsy McStagger.

MR

Man, I still don't know how you do it. Photo quality and with one-shot no less!?! I've heard that stuff is tough to work with. Never tried it myself. You sure as shat make it look easy. Fantastic as always.

B

I dunno Sam, I think you made him look TOO Good. HA. Excellence award coming your way I'm Sure.

Thanks, Matt and Ben! I wouldn't have minded doing an early '60's Shatner - like in the Twilight Zone when he went ballistic after seeing a monster on the airplane wing.

A

WOW, Sam!!! I can't believe that you’re doing this with enamel. This is great, with all the detail. I always like your portraits.

About how many colors did you have to mix? I'm curious as to the process. It looks like some is mixed on the canves.

Again great work.

I think the Twilight Zone where him and his fiance' are asking the devil head about their future would make a great painting. Emphasis on the devil head. The thing is a "mystic See-er"

[ Edited by: Matt Reese 2006-12-07 11:28 ]

Thanks so much for the kind words, Alien Tiki. I thought William Shatner needed some kind of painting to show appreciation for his singing "skill"? :wink:

Hey Matt, that TZ is another favorite of mine too - by the way, that's a great still....

[ Edited by: sam gambino 2006-12-07 13:36 ]

Here's a new tiki painting....It's 12x16 enamel on board. It's based on the Aku Aku cover. Hope you like 'er!

I'll have prints available in 1 to 2 weeks for $25. + shipping

[ Edited by: sam gambino 2006-12-07 13:55 ]

Nice work Sam!
Those retro/old photo colors are right on!
And I can attest that your paintings in person have that certain ZING!
Thanks for getting this out to the masses!I really really like this one! This could sedgeway into a really cool series as there's more than enough postcards.brochures and ephemera to reference! Good job sir!

P
Paipo posted on Thu, Dec 7, 2006 1:52 PM

Stunning, definitely got the 50s Aku Aku vibe happening!

Thanks so much, littlelost tiki and Paipo. I forgot to say that it is based on the Aku Aku cover! It's really the first realistic tiki painting I've done.

F

Wow, I can't paint in Oil or Acrylic even close to that well. I thnk I need to go home and mix a Mai Tai and start dreaming up some new ideas to at least look like I'm putting stuff out as much as you, caus I don't think I'm going to meet the skill level any time soon. Insane the amount of talent you have. I'm going to go and burn the crap out of some wood as soon as I get home.

8T

Sam, OUTSTANDING! What size will the prints be made? Same as the original?

[ Edited by: 8FT Tiki 2006-12-07 18:50 ]

H
hewey posted on Thu, Dec 7, 2006 7:10 PM

Good to see some tikis man :)

Very nice

MR

Good solid piece. Have you always used enamels? What's the real difference between them and acrylics? I've only used acrylics and am thinking of trying a switch. Any info would help. The levels of depth you're achieving with the colors are cool.

G
GROG posted on Thu, Dec 7, 2006 7:22 PM

GROG still says SEX SELLS! Gotta sexy it up there Sam-Gam and your paintings will sell faster than you can paint 'em!!

Sam Gambino art BASTARDIZED BY GROG

[ Edited by: GROG 2006-12-07 19:34 ]

Thanks a bunch frostiki, 8 ft., hewey, Matt and GROG!

Frosttiki, enjoy that Mai Tai tonight! And don't start any large fires with all of the dry weather we've had! :wink:

Hewey, I told you I had a tiki or 2 up my sleeve...

Hey 8 ft. Yes, they'll be signed 12x16 image size on 13x19 heavyweight matte.

Matt, Enamel has no pasty texture quality to it - it paints much like painting with Rustoleum or varnish and thins with paint thinner. I know it well, and am comfortable with it having used it for pinstriping and hand-lettering for so long. It is also known for covering in one coat, but not as much as in the past. Back when it still contained lead (until just a few years ago), it covered much better.

Thanks again for the adjustment GROG! Where were you when I was laying this painting out???? :wink:

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino 2006-12-07 20:15 ]

On 2006-12-07 13:26, little lost tiki wrote:
Nice work Sam!
Those retro/old photo colors are right on!
And I can attest that your paintings in person have that certain ZING!
Thanks for getting this out to the masses!I really really like this one! This could sedgeway into a really cool series as there's more than enough postcards.brochures and ephemera to reference! Good job sir!

I'm gonna have to rip something from the wall to create room for it.

Hey christiki- Thanks so much! That's an honor.....

Sam, I think you've reached a new plateau with the Shatner and Easter Island pieces. I mean they're all good, but there seems to be an extra life force working in these.

Thanks, Raffertiki, for the comps.... I enjoyed doing these, so that may have something to do with that!

B

Sam, I Love it. The Easter Island pic from the cover of Aku Aku is Excellent as usual and a Little more so this time. One of my Favorites.

F
foamy posted on Fri, Dec 8, 2006 4:58 AM

Hey Sam, yet another "good 'un." I'm with Ben on this, one of my favorites as well. GROG's take on it has some merit, though, I'd have gone for wigs as well. Beautiful work, as usual.

K
kooche posted on Fri, Dec 8, 2006 9:52 AM

you did a great job on this one!!! DUDE!

just killer man - enamel!

oof! i'm about to try some of that myself ... i'm curious to see how "One Shot" flows on old rusty metal!

thanks for sharing!

Thank you, Ben, foamy and kooche. Your comps are very well appreciated.

Ben- I'm a sucker for those old book covers from the 50's - even the pulp ones.

foamy- A wig is a good idea... maybe some hair rollers, heavy eye makeup and a cigarette too!

kooche- Have fun with that 1-Shot and don't forget to post the results here... It oughta look great on some rusty metal.

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Dec 8, 2006 7:54 PM

Hey Sam,

Just back from a business trip and was delighted to see that you had posted another painting. This one really captures the look of the moai and has a ton of texture. Very sweet. I imagine the prints will be very popular here. Way to go!

-Gman

Thanks, GMAN! It's always nice to hear from you.

Here's a new tiki painting "The High Roller"... The dollar sign eyes are gold leaf, and it's 12x16 inches enamel on board. I love vintage Vegas, so here goes.

Here's an abstract. It's 11x14 enamel on board...

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino 2007-01-02 20:37 ]

T
teaKEY posted on Wed, Jan 3, 2007 6:12 AM

how did I miss the Aku Aku cover! Thats probably the only novel that I ever wanted to read and I finished the thing. The new painting looks great. Both! I think the last one looks like Vegas too. Do you get to ever try your gift on cars? You could sell that paint job just the same.

F

Damn Sam, The Vegas TIki with gold Leaf $$ is sweet. It reminds me of the Rat pack walking down the strip scenes that are supposed to show time passing. The abstract is very nice too. Hope you had a happy new year and santa was good to you.

H
hewey posted on Wed, Jan 3, 2007 2:35 PM

Sweet man :)

B

Wow, Sam, Kinda makees you want to start working on your poker face. Fill the gas tank and trash the savings account, Vegas HERE I Come!! Excellent works from Sam The Man

MR

Very nice. I especially like the abstract. Vegas baby,Vegas.
Cheers.

SF

Vintage Vegas and an abstract, two totally different styles and two great peices Sam.
The abstract is a like a Jackson Pollock meets Mark Rothko, I love it.

Thanks, teaKey, frostiki, hewey, Ben, Matt and Doug. Your kind words are very much appreciated!

Hey teaKey- I started out doing work on cars, but I never really did work like the abstract on a car. It would take lots of paint-slinging... :)

Hey frostiki- Christmas was great - with a 5 year old and a 2 year old, it was 1973 again! I hope yours was great too.

Thanks hewey! I always appreciate your input.

Hey Ben - That sounds like a great idea to me. All I'd need is a suitcase, a '64 Impala, and a little spending money.... oh yeah, and one of those old water bags that you tie to the front of the car when you're driving through the desert.

Thanks for chiming in, Matt. I'm glad that you like the abstract... it was more fun because it's loose and not "calculated" or planned out!

Hey Doug- It's the first abstract I ever tried. It was really pretty fun... I've wanted to do that for a while. You've been turning out some killer stuff here lately yourself!

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino 2007-01-03 20:45 ]

H
hewey posted on Thu, Jan 4, 2007 6:22 PM

If you haven't noticed, signed prints of the Easter Island print are available here (discount for TCers too!):
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=22346&forum=12&0

Ive got a Sam print, great quality :)

Mate, do I get a spotters fee? :) I do? Excellant! I'd like an original "Hewey's Tiki Bar" googie inspired piece. hahahahaha

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 1554 replies