Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

2 of my New Wacky Packages paintings for Series 9, 2012. p. 103

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 1,554 replies

awesome as always sam and a happy new year.

C

Holy Boots....really nice work Sam....i can still see that album cover with Nancy wearing
nothing except (at least nothing visible) a long sweater....and I actually owned three or four
Nancy lps in the 60s...love her.....now...how about Marianne Faithfull!

F
foamy posted on Mon, Jan 2, 2006 3:56 PM

Nice painting Sam. Nancy Sinatra? Great subject. How you do that with enamels just kills me. M Modern Gallery's Blonde Bombshells? Get down an' get back up again! She'll be in good company, I'm sure.

Thanks, marcus, congatiki and foamy.... I really appreciate the kind words. Yes, I'm a fool for that nothing-but-a-long-sweater-and-gogo-boots look... that or a cat suit! By the way, I borrowed the suit from Julie Newmar for this painting(but don't tell anyone! :wink: ).

http://www.samgambino.com

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino 2006-01-03 16:42 ]

J

You made me a Nancy Sinatra fan. Just ordered one of her CDs.
JP

Thank you, JP.... it's great to know that my art can somehow influence music sales!

R

Very cool Sam. I was wondering what you had been upto.

H
hewey posted on Wed, Jan 4, 2006 3:31 AM

Cool work Sam! Nice one!

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Jan 4, 2006 4:18 AM

Hey Sam, welcome back. I hope the kids are healthy again. Yep, me too, I've always had a thing for catwoman. This piece is great. Thanks for sharing.

-Gman

Thank you rodeo, hewey and GMAN ("G Gordon" :wink: ) I appreciate the props! GMAN, the kids are fine again and "all is right with the world".

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino 2006-01-04 09:53 ]

Great painting - you really have a touch with reviving that nostalgic feel.

I understand the need to do different things to keep the creative fire burning, but I really like you more graphic/cartoony stuff. Have you given up on this or just taking a break?

Thanks much, Aloha station... No, I haven't given up on the cartoon stuff - I'm just enjoying this style at the moment - and lately, I 've been getting more ideas along these lines. I usually include pinstriping in my art, but I haven't done much of that in a while, which is strange, because I enjoy doing it and it really comes easy. I'll drift back and forth - it keeps things exciting!

SF

Hey Sam love the painting. I'm A Nancy Sinatra fan as well.
You really captured her look.

UB

Another beauty Sammy!
Love all your work. Keep it coming.
Here is a great page of that cutie who did it "her way".

Thanks much for the comps, Doug and Unga... Thanks for the cool link, Unga. I wish I would have known about that site with those nice-sized pics of Nancy there. You should see the little web pic I worked from to paint her!

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino 2006-01-05 12:15 ]

By special request, here's a second Grandpa painting:

This time, he's pushing his secret Rocket Fuel.... I hope you like!

B

Another nice one Sam. Where can I get some of that Rocket fuel?
It really looks like a Photo of the old man. you just put in a frame.. How'd you do that. You Never cease to Amaze me woth your works Sam.

It's like you got into Grandpa's head and designed the package just as he would.

J

It looks like you painted over a photograph of him. Looks wonderful, I always enjoyed that show!
JP

F
foamy posted on Sat, Jan 28, 2006 1:09 PM

Sam, great stuff again. I am still in awe of your prowess with One-Shot. By-the-way, I noticed that your Nancy Sinatra sold, good job! Keep grinding them out, I look forward to your posts.

Incidentally, I used to have that model of Gran'Pa's Casket dragster. What a great thing it would be to accompany the painting.

[ Edited by: foamy 2006-01-28 13:13 ]

Very nice work Sam. I would love to see something like this on the side of a vintage fuel can.

Sam, I can't get over how vintage some of your signs look. If it was a "real" product it would be utterly convincing. I've been taking my boy to a train museum in Perris, CA lately and the old trolley interiors are lined with ads that look just like that (no Grandpa Munsters, though!). Very nice.

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Jan 28, 2006 3:16 PM

GRANDPA RULES!!!

Go Dragula!!!!!

Hey Ben, Raffertiki, Johnny P, foamy, rodeotiki, Aaron and GMAN- Thanks so much for the comps! I know he's not tiki, but I feel that he is of interest (if even in an indirect way) to tiki freaks like us. Furthermore, I like to run this stuff by you guys because I REALLY value your input. Thanks again!

KK

Aloha Bruddah Sam!
Great work on da kine brah, really! I studied graphic design way back in college and after working as a designer in a sign shop for many years, I must say you nailed it!
None of us would have ever known it wasnt actually from the 50's if you hadnt told us! You really did a great job on the lay-out and color scheme, plus grandpa looks perfect! great photo-realism skills you got!

Keep up the good work!

H
hewey posted on Sat, Jan 28, 2006 4:37 PM

Cool man - you got talent to the wazoo! Your style is just so crisp and 'period ocrrect'

Thanks so much, kaha and hewey. I really appreciate your kind words. Doing the research and laying it out beforehand is almost as much fun as painting it.

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino 2006-01-28 20:42 ]

Great painting Sam!!
Love the concept also.

I've missed your stuff thanks for posting Sammy.

Thanks, Doug and Palm City Tiki. This was a fun one to do. I'll do a Herman one next....

[ Edited by: Sam Gambino 2006-01-29 16:10 ]

B
Bete posted on Sun, Jan 29, 2006 4:18 PM

Sam, I checked out your website, it is very cool.

Thank you Bete!

H
hewey posted on Mon, Jan 30, 2006 5:23 AM

Hey Sam, when you gonna do some pinup work? Check out David Perry's book "Hot rods and Pin Ups" - gorgeous photos, gorgeous cars, gorgeous women!!!

Hewey, I may have seen that book a good while back. It really is a cool book if it's the one I'm thinking of. I really never thought of doing a pinup painting, but it's a good idea. Maybe one day, I'll get the nerve up. I never used to paint faces, but I'm enjoying it now. Thanks for the tip!

Here's the skateboard piece for the Self-Propelled Show at A Stuart Gallery. It's enamel and chrome bullets on a skateboard blank

...and here's the latest commissioned painting that even further feeds my Munsters fixation! I hope you like it....

T

good to see some work again from you sam!! it looks great as always. keep up the great work....i like seeing it!

you're a pro Sam... What else can be said.

I really enjoy seeing your new work.

Excuse me, Im due back at the laboratory to get my bolts tightened.

Nice ones Sam!
Just yesterday I was just thinking that we hadn't seen you around in a while.

Thanks so much, tiki5-0, Monkeyman and Tikiwahine. I do miss being here as much... I don't have as much surfing time as I did before because my work schedule has changed totally and I'm busier. I guess I can't really complain about that.... :)

J

Sweet!! What are your paintings painted on?
JP

Thanks, Johnny P. The Herman is on the smooth side of masonite. I actually like painting on the textured side better now, but this was ordered to match my Grandpa's Speed Shop painting which I painted when I was experimenting with the smooth side. Other surfaces I like to paint on are stretched canvas and baked enamel aluminum.

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Mar 15, 2006 3:46 PM

Those are so sweet Sam! You amaze me every time!

H
hewey posted on Wed, Mar 15, 2006 4:11 PM

I miss seeing all of your work Sam! Workload be damned!

More masterpieces...

Nice work, as always. Post more pics!

K
kirby posted on Wed, Mar 15, 2006 4:18 PM

I got the pleaser of seeing this skateboard at the opening of the astuart show and it was one of the most popular pieces there its frikin fanaminal in person....

My god Sam, your faces are increadible! I love your work, I can't wait to see more.

Thanks so much for the kind words, hewey, kirby, GMAN and finkdaddy - I really enjoy painting these faces - Munsters especially!

F
foamy posted on Thu, Mar 16, 2006 5:14 AM

Nice and nice. Al and Fred never looked so good. So, when is Lily due to be immortalized in One Shot? You can't do GrandPa and Herman and not paint Lily. Full figure, please. Great work Sam.

B

Hey Sam my brother!! Really nice pieces to break your absence. Boy how I Love seeing your work, there is so much of your heasrd and soul in it,its almost like seeing you. You know you are the best.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 1554 replies