Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Gman vs Wild - Page 1; Kotiate Warrior 183; BoatMan 184; Gman Lizard Dance 190; Screamer 193

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 2,950 replies

That Cedar really shows up bloody red- Is that from the freshness of the wood?? Almost a shame to not let it show... Nice work!

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Sep 10, 2005 12:18 PM

Capt.,

I was thinking the same thing as I was sanding it. I wonder what else would look good? The wood is wild....it has all sorts of nobs and curves on the backside. It has lots of character. I went into this carving intending to use an ebony stain. Does anyone have a better idea? The one thing that will bother me is that the red is not even in the cuts, even though I was carful to make my cuts equal depths. The center "red" wood is not evenly distributed inside the log.

Here are some more pics I took as I was sanding....

-Gman

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

[ Edited by: GMAN 2008-06-12 19:51 ]

I like the colors as they are, looks real natural like those cool Tikis made from Monkey Pod (whatever that is)
Cheers G, keep up the good work.

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Sep 11, 2005 11:05 AM

ARRRGGGGG! This is the most sanding I've put into a tiki EVER! 60 grit....100 grit....120 grit......150 grit.....220 grit.....and I'm still not happy with it! I guess that's why I prefer to leave them just chainsawn for the finish!!!

AND, I still can't decide if I want to go with an ebony stain or a clear varnish. Now I'm leaning toward the clear varnish. The light wood will turn ambery and should look real warm with the bright red core. I have the materials to go with either finish, and I'm at the crossroads now....It's nice to have options, but this sucks!

I'll post pics tonight.

-Gman

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Sep 11, 2005 1:18 PM

Man, look at this wood!!!!

I couldn't stain over it. :(

-Gman

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Sep 11, 2005 3:42 PM

Ben, Capt., AA, Moon, and everyone,

edit
-Gman

[ Edited by: GMAN 2008-06-12 19:51 ]

I love the color of that wood . Wow , I wish I could get some here. Maybe put some cuts in the center of the eyes like some of your previos carvings . I think they would look good if the red color showed thru.

Just my 2 cents ..
Looks good no matter what you decide

GMAN
Good call on going with the clearcoat. That's just my opinion as I love the natural look of all woods. Your work is incredible.
Wes

B

I think you should have stained it but either way it is a dynamite carving. How tall is this guy? Show us some more I know you have hiding up there..

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Sep 11, 2005 5:47 PM

Ben,

Sorry, but thanks for your PMs and coaching. I was really unsure of how to play this one. I made the choice to clear it right at the end when I took that pic of the nobs and color on the back. My friend has another 30 or so feet of this stuff so I can try to carve again this week and use the ebony. The stuff carves nicely with the chainsaw, and hell, it's free!

This one is 36" high and 8" in diameter.

As for more tikis....I have 17 more in the garage, but you've seen most of them! Others have gone away with the UPS man.....

-Gman

[ Edited by: GMAN 2005-09-11 17:50 ]

M

Very cool Tikis GMAN.

Mahalo

Good work, bro! i like the natural wood finish on him...

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Sep 12, 2005 5:04 PM

Hey guys,

Thanks for the comments.

edit

-Gman

[ Edited by: GMAN 2008-06-12 19:52 ]

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Sep 12, 2005 5:24 PM

Gman's new logo.

Guys, check this out. I asked my bruddah Art to work me up a new logo for my chainsaw art. I wanted a tribal monster saw kinda thing with my name it it. What do you think? Please respect the copyright. He is very serious about his art.

-Gman

"The saw is family"

[ Edited by: GMAN 2005-09-12 18:43 ]

H
hewey posted on Mon, Sep 12, 2005 5:56 PM

Cool logo!

Greg
I love the newest carving, really like the eyes on him. Are you going to stain him ebony?
And the logo rocks too!!
Waiting anxiously,
Wes & Annie
(I need to move to Florida)

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Sep 12, 2005 7:00 PM

My friend Art (who created the Gman saw logo) emailed me these pics of a tiki I carved for him in R.I. in 1990. We used to play together in a metal band when I was in college. He has had it hanging all these years! He says I carved it from a broken boat oar. I don't remember.....I used to drink a lot!

edit

-Gman

[ Edited by: GMAN 2008-06-12 19:53 ]

Hey brother

I was going to buzz you tonight but I looked at the time and thought it might be too late. I had a great time in that storm during the tourney let me tell you. How we didn't get struck by lighting I'll never know. What's the saying? "Heaven doesn't want me and Hell's afraid i'll take over". That must be it...

What do you think? Please respect the copyright. He is very serious about his art.
I think the tribal is good. Putting it on the net and expecting the CR to be respected is dillusional. A lot of us do respect artists and their art but a lot don't. Now you should get that baby tweeked out a bit and have it inked into your skin. No one can steal that or ever take it away from you. Even if they try and copy it it's never the exact same.

LOL, I used to drink a lot too. Why is it Captains seem to love their alcohol...??? Well not this one anymore. I have a few once in a while, not very often but there's a song for that too. http://www.cowboylyrics.com/lyrics/jackson-alan/song-for-the-life-6607.html Give me a call when you get the chance. I've gotta rise at 4am so I need to get to sleep. Another bad azz carving my friend!

TG

Your last tiki looks great! The colors are cool. Keep up the good work.

Tiki G.

[ Edited by: Tiki G. 2005-09-14 07:00 ]

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Sep 13, 2005 5:31 PM

edit

-Gman

[ Edited by: GMAN 2008-06-12 19:53 ]

Lookin Good, GMAN!

Very cool GMAN! I like your style designs with these guys. By the way, I can't help but think of G. Gordon Liddy evertime I see the GMAN name on your posts...

B

The irregularities in the wood definitely make for interesting tikis. I love how you got the tikis out of the logs. You are getting pretty fancy with the chain saw, looking great. Can't wait til Hukilau!!
Hukilau, Hukilau,Hukilau

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Sep 14, 2005 6:41 PM

Thanks guys!

-G

"The saw is family"

[ Edited by: GMAN 2005-09-16 17:12 ]

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Sep 17, 2005 2:34 PM

edit

-Gman

[ Edited by: GMAN 2008-06-12 19:54 ]

Cool deal! Anytime you can cut out the middleman you're doing well. A storefront shop would probably mark them up 100% and you'd only get half the sale price. So you got some sales, kept all the profit, made some neighbors very happy, and it doesn't look like it took much effort. So what kind of tools are you going to buy?

lemme guess.. an angle grinder and a sander...???? :)

nice lineup there, Gman!

GMAN-
I sure wish I lived near you. I would of been selling so I could buy more of your fine Tikis.
Wes

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Sep 17, 2005 6:00 PM

AA, I usually sell my suff off of my website (www.sahmaysan.com), unless someone wants to come by the house or meet me at my friend's gallery. I have never sold any of my art through a middleman. I started selling my carvings about 20 years ago and started Sah-may San Gyotaku to sell my gyotaku paintings in 1999. I've been selling both paintings and carvings through that business since then. I try to keep the art profits separate from the "house" money and only purchase gear with proceeds from my paintings or carvings. I needed some tools to make sanding and prep work easier.

PT, you guessed it, I bought the sander and angle grinder. I moved a few pieces of gyotaku too, so the tools were free. :)

Moon, a parrothead bought one that matches your palm tiki. I just finished the second cedar tiki tonight!!! I'll post pics tomorrow.

-Gman

"The saw is family"

[ Edited by: GMAN 2005-09-17 18:18 ]

Greg, love the website. Lends lots of insight. I really like the fish rubbings. You are a multi-talented artist. For those on this board who haven't checked out GMAN's homepage, you are missing out! Really excellent stuff!

Cheers,

A-A

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Sep 18, 2005 6:34 AM

AA, thanks for the kind words about my gyotaku. It takes a whole different touch than carving wood with a chainsaw!!! Actually, the two are about as far apart as art forms can get. They actually complement each other and each prepares me for working with the other. I think I've found a good balance. If anyone is interested in an original piece or an open edition print of my gyotaku, please PM me.

-Gman

B

Definitely a nice web site and great art. Looks like your neighbors were lucky to have you sparking up their sidewalk sale. Thanks for sharing.

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Sep 18, 2005 1:09 PM

edit

-Gman

"The saw is family"

[ Edited by: GMAN 2005-09-18 13:10 ]

[ Edited by: GMAN 2008-06-12 19:55 ]

Those both look great. The color is awesome.

nice job on both, Gman!

Greg-
Don't sell these guys! I like the natural finish on them too. They look great!
Wes

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Sep 20, 2005 6:06 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys. Interacting in this forum has really helped to put some fun back into my carving. Thank you.

-Gman

"The saw is family"

[ Edited by: GMAN 2005-09-20 18:17 ]

G Man Good to see you still at it. I hope you sand bagged my Tiki for me! I'll PM you.

The Captain

What brand and size is your favorite chainsaw? I need something tougher.
Your work is great.
I hope to see one on every front lawn some day.

"It's only a flesh wound!"
-the Black Knight/Monty Python's Holy Grail.

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Sep 24, 2005 12:09 PM

Hellotiki,

I would like to see one on every lawn too :) ....that would help pay the medical school bills my wife is racking up..... :(

Anyway, I use a saw marketed under the name REDMAX that is made by Komatsu. It is an industrial saw that is designed for hard commercial use. I use their 3100T (topping saw) model as it is light, top handled, and is easy to control while making difficult cuts. I wrote some more about it in one of my early posts (maybe page 1 or 2).

I can PM you info on the company and distributors if you wish.

-Gman

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Sep 24, 2005 12:22 PM

Hey all....look at this!!!!!

I filled the GMT (Greg's Monster Truck) with red cedar logs today. I also cut some planks to carve fish or masks out of. The two biggest logs are 60" x 12". I also have a bunch of 36" and 40" x like 8" - 10". I debarked them, painted the ends, and set them up in the garage. Both of the trees were elevated and left to dry since last hurricane season : ). They should make for a some interesting pieces. The previous owner requested a Gman tiki and a sawfish carving. Can do..... :wink:

See the logs below:

-Gman

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Sep 24, 2005 4:29 PM

edit

-Gman

[ Edited by: GMAN 2008-06-12 19:56 ]

Looks great. Such clean lines from a chainsaw. Thats a great score of wood too.

Greg-
That is a great score there. I do love that red cedar. I can't believe you, each piece is as good or better than the other. Is this the 5 footer? I can't wait to see how you will transform that pile of wood to individual masterpieces. I think you & Ben are both machines!!
Wes

Hey hey, I love it. Inspire & be inspired, that's what TC is all about. Keep the pics coming, GMAN. (Nice score on the cedar).

Nice work once again G,
Funny how logs just seem to fall into your possession when you are running low.

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Sep 25, 2005 6:24 PM

edit

-Gman

"The saw is family"

[ Edited by: GMAN 2005-09-25 18:26 ]

[ Edited by: GMAN 2008-06-12 19:56 ]

Too many Pics!? Are kidding, I wish there were twice that!
GMAN, that has to be your best creation yet. That is simply amazing!! It looks as if you have a coat of clear on it already.
It's good that I don't live near you, I would be trading everything for your sweet carvings.
I love it!!
Wes

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 2950 replies