Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Gman vs Wild - Page 1; Kotiate Warrior 183; BoatMan 184; Gman Lizard Dance 190; Screamer 193

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 2,950 replies

G, this one is looking great!!

Allright G! A little guy for ya. Not your beautiful cedar this time...looks like basswood?

On 2007-09-13 14:27, GMAN wrote:
I also prefer to hunt things that have the ability to kill me back...

You're a bloody worry mate.. :lol:

Good to see you attacking something a little smaller and less likely to go for your throat G. Ive got to say Im impressed by how 'deep n steep' youve gone into dividing the tops of legs/bottom of stomach, making them seem really plump/fleshy. Does this make sence? I like the chiseled-but-soft finish on those legs too. Are you going to leave him textured or smooth him off?

Stay safe G!

Tama :)

edit: bloddy? bloody!

[ Edited by: Tamapoutini 2007-09-15 19:08 ]

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Sep 17, 2007 5:56 PM

Thanks guys. I appreciate the comments and the support. More on him later.

Surfin - yes, he is Bass wood.

Robin - 11.5" with the base.

Tama - yes, deep and steep. BEEFY!

-G

[ Edited by: GMAN 2007-09-17 18:01 ]

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Sep 18, 2007 2:31 PM

I started moving some of my "stuff" into one of the unused back bedrooms at my house. Most of the rooms are unused at my house....anyway, I decided to have one room set aside for me to hang, read, and basically chill in....a "man-room" if you will. I think it will be called the HeadHunter room - for obvious reasons :D. It will be nice to have my carvings and pieces from other carvers here in one place. I need a better throne (maybe Johnny's Orator's Chair???), but this will do for now. I have lots more to put in here but it is gonna take time. Here's a few pics. You'll see a few things from JohnnyP, Benzo, Tama, and Finky.

-G

J

Got kicked out of the rest of the house, did ya?

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Sep 18, 2007 3:00 PM

Yeah, pretty much....

M
MBL posted on Tue, Sep 18, 2007 3:19 PM

I hope Ernie can hang out in there. :)
Tim
MBL

Yeah, man room!!! Looks like a nice place to chill. You might need to call TLC's room makeover to spice it up a bit???? I like how you framed the pendants too, and speaking of framing Betsy dropped off the Bull eye to get re-framed! They are going to preserve it or something and put in anti-glare glass. Sweet!

[ Edited by: tikifreak1 2007-09-18 15:38 ]

B

Yeah, got kicked out,,"Get yer own "Mannnn Room so I don't have to see this rubbish" vvvis what she told him I heard and make sure there be plenny mannbutts there,to0
I'll be there with a present for the man room. Behave
Ben

B

G,

It's all about the havin the man room!! It needs a man rug!
Really cool seeing all your killa work together here G...You is the boss brother!

H
harro posted on Tue, Sep 18, 2007 5:49 PM

for a second there I thought you had smuggled Mr T into your "man-room" :lol: :lol:

(from the top of the first pic)

seriously though, very envious of your collection... and the fact that you have some unused rooms where you can be just be, um, manly.

H
hewey posted on Wed, Sep 19, 2007 1:29 AM

Nice work and nice collection mate :D

Hasn’t our Gman come a long way? !!!!!!

P
Paipo posted on Wed, Sep 19, 2007 1:53 AM

Haha, I have a manroom too - it's called the shed! My work room is also my playroom. Unfortunately it's pretty much full now, so I'm slowly filling the house with my crazy crap again. I already need a bigger mug cabinet!

T

Paipo: ditto.

Yeah, my manroom is in the garage! But you, you actually get let into the house! Awesome, man!

B

Nice collection in the GMAN room! It's great to be able to see recognizable pieces from different TC carvers together as a group. It's interesting to be able to compare individual styles.

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Sep 20, 2007 2:03 PM

Tim - Yeah, you know Earnie goes everywhere I do, including the Manroom

TF1 - I'm glad you are enjoying the fish; now get back to staining! I wanna see that Wango Tango all finished up soon.

Benz - I dunno, I think there will only be one man-butt in here...mine!

Babalu - Yeah, I know. I've got a man-rug in the wurkz. I'll post pics of it when it is finished. Can man-rugs go on the wall?

Harro - I mostly live alone (even though I've been married for 12 years) so I can be manly in any room I want :D

Hewey - yeah mate, a bit of a difference in what I choose to make, but it's all the same stuff man. I'm still doing the same thing, just differently. No need to sell anything anymore, so I don't need to carve to the market.

Paipo - You mean she keeps you out in the shed, like in Sling Blade? Aack, that's rough. Maybe you should sell those mugs and buy some killer wood carvings?

BigT - Hell, I could be building race cars in the living room for all she cares.....

Bowana - Yeah, I hear ya. The few items that I have here that I didn't make are some of my favorite things made by some of my favorite artists. It's fun to have their stuff around.

-G

R
Robin posted on Mon, Sep 24, 2007 9:02 AM

Yah G....you sure have come a long way....now you even have a man room! About to get a man rug! Are you sure you don't want to mail me that little guy? Done any more work on him? Or is the man room taking up most of your time. :)

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Sep 25, 2007 9:07 AM

Hi Robin :)

No, no more work on him. Sorry :( I'm working on some gear and getting ready to go swamp yachting again.....

-G

T

Swamp yachting??

Croc hunting?

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Sep 28, 2007 2:20 PM

yep.

Where's Gman?

He went that way....he'll be back soon.......

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

[ Edited by: GMAN 2007-09-28 14:45 ]

B

Getting ready for the all important "after the hunt" fire dance?

C
Cammo posted on Fri, Sep 28, 2007 5:36 PM

That looks so damn fun. Why the cammo gear? Trying to fool the snakes? I mean, doesn't everything hear you coming from 9 miles away?

You guys ever get lost, or how do you tell your way around?

And what if a fuel line blows WAY out there???

Kind of like wet, squishy snowmobiling.

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Sep 30, 2007 10:26 AM

Babs - No dancing this weekend; it was too windy. The war canoe stayed on the beach. It was for the best, because today is my 12th wedding anniversary. I could have lost a few man-points being out g8tr hunting on our anniversary....Aack!

Cammo - No patterns needed while stalking crocs, we wear black as we are operating at night. The pic I posted above was of me polling into the high area of my land a few hundred miles North of here. We were after boar. No motors or talking there as stealth/scent control are paramount. "It uses the trees, like a chameleon." The lake I have alligator CITES tags for is like 150 miles NE of here. The lake is huge, but with GPS you won't get lost - even though you may not "know where you are" in the dark.

-G

Happy anniversary! Today you need to gain man points for the man room.... Plasma!

B

HEY!

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Oct 4, 2007 4:12 PM

Here are a few recon pics of my Man-rug. Babalu, you likee? He's almost ready mang. I'll likey be able to go get him this weekend! Happy Happy!

-G

C

Why don't you make some shoes?

I'll take a pair of peep toe pumps!!

R
Robin posted on Thu, Oct 4, 2007 5:41 PM

Most definitely a manly rug G.!

B
Babalu posted on Thu, Oct 4, 2007 6:29 PM

By cracky G, that's one "Jim Dandy" man rug ya got there!...makes ya kinda feel all warm and fuzzy like inside don't it?

I likee this little half a gator ya got a hiding in the corner over here too...FUN!..half gator, half ? :)

G
GMAN posted on Thu, Oct 4, 2007 6:40 PM

Babalu - the other "half" of that gator is on the other (left) side of the room...see below...

Those pics were taken at the hide tanner's house. He makes some crazy stuff! Gman gots nothing likes that......

-G

J

That looks cool as heck. I wanna play that game and win that prize.

B

Cool stuf gator guy. I think it really adds much Maucho to your Man-room :lol: :lol:

That rug looks sweet!

H

You ARE a wildman! You should wear that hide for Halloween!!! How long is that thang?

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Oct 8, 2007 6:14 AM

Hey all,

After five months of preparation, tool carving/construction, and tons of planning, I am finally done with the crocs and ready to settle back into some steady primitive anthropomorphic carving. Well, at least as steady as I can around the other ridiculous things I spend my free time on here. I was out on the road and on the lake for the better part of the weekend and was able to use my second tag (bonked another croc). While I was on the road, I was also able to pick up the Man-rug on the East Coast and drive it home. I pulled a 19' box trailer behind the truck so he could lay flat and safe out of the rain and weather. I slept for 17 hours when I got home! I've been so focused on the weather and filling these tags that I haven't been able to concentrate enough to do the carving that needs to be done on the figures I already have in progress. Hopefully that will change now and I will be able to focus and get these carvings further along.

Here are some pics of the Man-rug in the Man-room. I will likely hang it on one of the high walls but I'm not sure where yet. One thing about him that is really neat; obviously you know I spend a lot of time carving spirals and curves - look in front of the left rear leg - do you see the spiral? These buggers are supposed to have vertical bar patterns - kinds neat that this guy has a spiral....

Howland - BIG.

-G

It's all coming together!!! Looks great!!

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Oct 10, 2007 3:55 PM

PNG decorated croc skull posted for JohnnyP. This is not mine, but an internet image find. This type of work would look great on the prow of your canoe.

-G

S

Gman just reading your post great stuff fun read. Its like
a mini story I enjoyed it all. Looking fwd to the contiueing
saga.

B

GMAN, your Gator looks Imposing on your Man-room floor. Beautiful guy he is! You Must be a wee bit Proud?
Enough Fun, now get back to the Real work!

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Oct 15, 2007 4:46 AM

The fun never endz here Benz! :D I'm on to some other stuff already. I hope to maybe get some carving time in soon. Thanks for stopping by. Hope you are feeling better.

Thats a fine Man-Rug. Looking closer it appears there are no scars and it has all of its feet. Most gators you see that big are usually missing a few body parts. Nice catch!

J

On 2007-10-08 06:14, GMAN wrote:

This cool room is starting to look like one of those turn of the century "curiosity" shops that sold all the unusual curios from exotic places.

Looks very nice, proud to be part of it.

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Oct 15, 2007 4:56 PM

Hey guys. I got the rug on the wall where it belongs? Go figure? It is still gonna be a while before I get the room where I want it. I will be adding a Buzzy carving, another JohnnyP carving, a new chair, and several shelves, box frames, and curio boxes. Here are a few pics I took this evening.

Aloha - Yeah, these guys usually get chewed up a bit before they reach this size. This guy musta been a tough guy.

Johnny - You are a BIG part of it. The JP carvings are some of the best flavor here. I can't wait to add the next piece!

-G

S

Good Looking man room Gman.

B

He looks really great on that wall Greg, the room's coming together Nicely!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 2950 replies