Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Gman vs Wild - Page 1; Kotiate Warrior 183; BoatMan 184; Gman Lizard Dance 190; Screamer 193

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 2,950 replies

H

Dem sho is some sweet bonz! Awesome! again!

Nice work GMan - good to see a variety of New Zealander Maori carvings. Keep it up mate.

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Aug 25, 2006 7:25 PM

Tikiwahine - Thanks. I hoped you would like the Honu.

JohnnyP - I know, but you never can tell.....

Benz - Thanks, more coming attcha...

Duddy - Thanks bro, I appreciate the support.

SnT - Sho Nuff! Thanx!

Marcus - Thanks, I'll keep going. I've got dozens of sketches and lots of material.

Here is a new Tanifa. I need to work on him again tomorrow and take better pics, but here is one pic of him as he is now. Tomorrow he gets a tune-up and a final sanding/buffing.

I hope you like him,

Gman

B

Nawgh,,I Don't Like him. Send him down here and I'll help you properly dispose of the little mistake. I can do it properly leaving no toxic residue. I will even do all this for free!!!

what a cool & creative way to create a hook, it's really beautiful

great new work GMan....you are really stepping it up. My favorite is the top right
in your "group of five" pic....but they are all very cool. You must have a bone carving
factory down there...how many...maybe a dozen people under your command? We'll have to
talk about adopting one of those...I suppose you are building a long list!

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Aug 26, 2006 10:27 AM

Benz - Thanks, I always have that toxic residue problem. How do you get around all the HAZMAT regulations?

TW - Thanks, see the Honu below.

Conga - I appreciate the kind words. I took that Taniwha you were talking about out to the shop and made some angle cuts on his tail. I'm sure I'll keep messing with him. Soon he gets to go into the soup.

Here is another Honu. I took a pic of him next to (to the right of) the one I made for my wife.

And here's one of the Taniwha with the new cuts.

-G

NICE HONU!
wow you work fast!

ha ha, now I feel really guilty about still being in my jammies

B

MAn Love your turtles and sharkz. Nice flowing lines.
I dug up a couple dozen burz for ya', now all I gotta do is mail'um

Nice workz G'

You are strok'in thru these new bonz like a kid with an open box of animal crackers! How much beef you putting in that stew anyway,brah...that's alotta bone?!!
S-M-O-O-T-H... like-butta-baby!

Nice work, keep'em comin 'New G-lander'!

Flip-flOp-fLipPp... :D

Yo man G-man! Those are looking posalutely awesome, really awesome. When I ever get time, I'll read up, and catch up on all that it took you to get there. Those really look like quality. Go man go!

H
hewey posted on Sun, Aug 27, 2006 6:13 AM

Wow man - love the sudden bone explosion :)

B

I think I have a Bone to pick with you.
I don't really but I had to say it.
No Bones today?

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Aug 27, 2006 2:38 PM

TikiWahine - Thanks. I hope this Honu likes cold weather.

Benz - I'm trying to keep the lines flowing, but some critters just don't lend themselves well to it. Well to hell with 'em, we can make 'em flow if we want to!

JOneS - I like animal crackers! As for the bone, you how I get them :D Like butta!

Surfin - Thanks for stopping by. Show us that Tang you have going. I'm sure we would all love to see it. Quit having so much fun!

Benz - A bone to pick with me? Sure, you can come over and pick meat off these bones with me. Someone has to do it. Yes, yes, there are bonz for today.....see below.

Here is a 8.25" bone Maori teko in progress. Still lots and lots to do, but we are having some bad thunder storms and poor Earnie is scared to death. It's time for me to stay with him and watch some TV. This carving will get mounted in a box frame and will be a part of my collection.

Thanks for looking,

Gman

P
Paipo posted on Sun, Aug 27, 2006 3:12 PM

This one's looking really good already, what's up with the darker tones on the ouside?
Did you stain it? Aparently a soak in cold tea works wonders with bone.

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Aug 27, 2006 3:18 PM

Paipo - Yeah, I soaked this one in tea before I started so I could see my cuts/depth better. Once I'm done I'll soak him again to put some age on him. Thanks for checking in :)

-Gman

I dig him GMan...looks kinda like John Travolta...stayin' alive!

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Aug 27, 2006 4:05 PM

Conga,

I'm trying to work the "S" curve that is so common in Maori works. Any appearance of disco or any other pose is definitely NOT what was going for. Ack!

-Gman

B

WOW, Looks great. Now you are in a strange territory where he isn't a Small carving and you need More tools than you have and he isn't a Large carving,you can't use your "Big" tiki tools. How ever you are cutting away the bone, you seem to not have a problem with it. Nice form and flow!.

sorry GMan...just kidding you know. I REALLY dig it.

J

This piece rocks, This is tiki from the roots. This is the stuff that inspired the stuff we drink to and dream about.

JP

Really, really nice work Gman. I love the sharks and the turtles too. What kind of bone is that large piece? (you don't have to tell if you don't want to :wink: )

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Aug 28, 2006 5:11 PM

"This is tiki from the roots. This is the stuff that inspired the stuff we drink to and dream about."

JP - Thanks for that. That's the kind of stuff that keeps me going. Hopefully I will be able to finish him out nicely and he'll become a permanent part of the collection. Then we can drink and be inspired.

Finky - I'm glad you like these pieces. The big guy is Beef - "it's what's for dinner!" I'll have a few more big guys coming soon. It's time for you to show us your bone carvings. I know you are working on them....

-Gman

H
hewey posted on Mon, Aug 28, 2006 8:08 PM

Great man. Looks like you're enjoying this change - Im loving all of these bone guys myself.

How about a one piece dagger with a fully carved handle?

H
Heath posted on Mon, Aug 28, 2006 9:06 PM

GMAN, your "bone guys" are great. A definite inspiration. I don't think I'll be able to go into a butcher shop without thinking of you!

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Aug 29, 2006 4:08 PM

Hewey and Heath,

Thanks for stopping by. Yes sir, I am having fun. It's been a long time since I carved in bone, since like 89 or 90. I'm seriously tool limited anymore, but I'm happy with what I'm doing. I have lots of things drawn out and a few more pieces I want for my own collection. In the meantime I'll be working on the big cedar tekoteko and the usual other carvings. Maybe with TS Ernesto hanging around I will stay inside and work on the bone teko. I have a buggy run/hill climb this weekend and I'm gonna try not to wind up in the ER again :D

-Gman

J

You need to be less tool limited.

Be careful with the rail. Wear your safety gear.

[ Edited by: JohnnyP 2006-08-29 18:06 ]

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Aug 29, 2006 10:58 PM

JohnnyP,

I will always be tool limited. It's unfortunate, but that's how I live now. I've got a few new ideas and I need to pick up a few new things, but I'll mostly continue carving with what I have. I like the subjects I'm doing, and I plan on keeping at it.

I just took the rail up to my friend's shop up in Citrus County - I've been on the road for almost 6 hours. Man, I'm beat. He's gonna do some work for me to make sure I'm square for this weekend ride. He's gonna replace an axle seal for me and add another oil cooler (cause I'm hard on equipment). I'll wear all my safety gear, but not my chainsaw gear, and hopefully we all have fun with no casualties.

-Gman

See the Amazing GTOOL...NO Limits! Carving sand and flinging wood chips...incredible headstands on a rail!! No nets, all steel...watch his bones ground buttery smooth, splinters are for WIMPS!!!
SAWDUST RULES!

Have a Grrrreat weekend G' and be safe. :D

Flip-flOp-fLipPp...

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Sep 1, 2006 7:39 PM

Jones,

No limits and no nets. Stand back folks, this is for real. Thanks for the note. You make me smile :D Hopefully I can get back to the bonz tomorrow. Been a rough week; I need some time in the shop to unwind.

-Gman

B

GMAN, Take All the time you need to unwind, as long as you are back carving by Tuesday.. I'll give you the holiday weekend off! Hahaha
Glad to see you out and having daredevil fun.

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Sep 2, 2006 3:18 PM

Benzo - tomorrow is the rail run and cookout. I am really looking forward to it! The rail is already up near the pit, so I can't carve myself up trying to load it on the trailer tomorrow :D Today was yard-day and get-the-carving-in-if-you-can-day! I got a little carving time in this afternoon.

I am waiting to work on my 8" bone carving until a package arrives from the east coast, so I started cutting on another Hei-tiki. I haven't finished removing bone or started sanding, but here are some pics as he is after my session today. This guy hangs from his left arm and is cow bone cut in the shape of a "whale tooth" carving (or rei-puta as Tamapoutini described - I need to watch Whale Rider now!). The bottom third of the carving is an exaggerated longfin mako shark lateral tooth. I still have a ton to do on this carving, but I thought I would go ahead and post him since I haven't posted much work this week.

Thanks for looking,

Gman

B

YES, He's going to be Fantastic,, Love that tooth. Nice to see you taking liberties!
For sure STAY Away from that exaust stack, I think you could hurt yourself on it! After that, Have fun..

J

That Moari is one lucky tiki, he gets to hang at your house, and gets every piece of wonderful Gman art hung around his neck!

JP

H
Helz posted on Mon, Sep 4, 2006 10:33 AM

Awsome work as always man, the bome stuff is truly amazing!

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Sep 6, 2006 6:50 PM

Benz, JohnnyP, and Helz,

Thanks for commenting on the new Hei-tiki. Hopefully I can get some time to work on him here soon. I need to use some of my new super duper Benzomatic burrs :D - I hear they are MAGIC! I've been pulling long days at work and have had zero time in the shop this week. No rail riding or boar hunting this weekend, so I hope to work on some bonz and get back to the big cedar Maori.

-Gman

P
Paipo posted on Thu, Sep 7, 2006 1:36 PM

I was just about to ask why there aren't another 3 new bone carvings yet, but I see you've answered my question. I will have the "eye" factory line going again today!

A bone brother? haha. TamaTT :)

G
GMAN posted on Sat, Sep 9, 2006 1:35 PM

Paipo - Thanks for stopping by...yep I'm real busy. Work is crazy and we are just getting into the season where I'll be out hunting most weekends or out running the rail. This weekend I'm hanging around the house and working on carvings.

Tama - "Bone Brothers".....I dunno man, that sounds kinda scary. Not my thing if you know what I mean. I'm happy to be friends, but keep your bone to yourself :wink:

Here is some progress on my big bone Maori in a "Defiance Pose." I got to use some of the burrs that big Benzart mailed over. Thanks dude! I still have a fair amount to do and a ton of sanding, but here he is so far...

Here is how he started today:

And here is how he looks now:

Thanks for looking,

-Gman

P
Paipo posted on Sat, Sep 9, 2006 2:26 PM

Crikey! (Is that in bad taste now?) You've stepped things up big-time with this one GMAN, it's your best Maori piece yet! And it's still not finished?

[ Edited by: Paipo 2006-09-09 15:16 ]

wow! awesome work, gman. i see i'm gonna need to add a gman bone pendant to my collection. please put me on the list.

*Was referring to the Rei-puta as having a brother actually. Careful, too much 'boning' can lead to becoming a 'stoner', haha Tama :)

H
Heath posted on Sat, Sep 9, 2006 4:09 PM

He looked good before, but now, holy mackerel!I'm really enjoying watching the progress, thanks for posting!

P
pdrake posted on Sat, Sep 9, 2006 4:32 PM

gman, i'm very impressed with your progress in the bone. did you get the bone carving book? when will you be selling these? any interest in a trade?

C

Nice work my friend...getting better all the time.

Beautiful transformation my man, wooooooo!

H
hewey posted on Sun, Sep 10, 2006 1:12 AM

Great work man! This stuff is really kool :)

B

Well, well Gman,, If This is any indication of what you are initially going to do with a few new tools, I Hate to see what you do when you Really get familiar with them. Somehow, I don't think any tools are responsible with the higher level you have jumped up to. This guy looks totally like a different person. He is all dressed up for the Partee! Nice
Hapyhappyhappy.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 2950 replies