Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Gman vs Wild - Page 1; Kotiate Warrior 183; BoatMan 184; Gman Lizard Dance 190; Screamer 193

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 2,950 replies

B

Nice bunch of tools there GMAN, NOW we should see a Big flurry of chips flyinh at the GMAN House. No carving in the living room, Ms Rita won't stand for getting splinters in those Toes.. :) :) :)

T

On 2007-05-17 16:07, GMAN wrote:
Santa?

Wow! That's the nicest set I've seen. Merry Christmas G!

This cat is pretty nice, too:

Great stuff!

B

GMAN...LOVE the little tiki...

I think you should string it....show Buzzy a "tiki guy" thing or two.

G
GMAN posted on Sun, May 20, 2007 3:49 PM

Howdie-hey,

I was planning on working on the big guy today with my new toolz......but of course, after motocrossing all day yesterday I could barely move a muscle this morning. SO, I grabbed my Flexcuts and my smaller Warrens and headed out back to soak up some rays and chisel a bit at a piece of wood the Benz gave me. Ben what is it?

Now, this piece of wood was a quarter log, from a small branch or something, and the outside was all eaten up by bugs and fungus. I chopped it down to nearly nothing and found good wood. I started in with an idea and let it morph to what I have now. I may go back and chip at it again, but I doubt it. I do want to drill two big holes in his head so I can add his hair as a proper Aumakua should. Now I know this isn't just like he is supposed to "be" - it is my version and I wasn't attempting a copy. I just wanted a sculpture similar enough to Aumakua and G enough to call my own. Here are some pics....

and here with carving mostly complete....

and oiled.....

Thanks for looking,

G

G
GMAN posted on Sun, May 20, 2007 4:05 PM

Benz says it is walnut... :)

yo Gman

When I am looking About your last creations .
Behind my computer .I was Quite for a while.
Very nice work en all lots of respect for your work...

greetz Limo

P
Paipo posted on Sun, May 20, 2007 4:46 PM

Perfect! No messing around with sanding, burning, 10 coats of this or that....just whittled and oiled, and ready to go! Just how a tiki should be.

B

Ha, GMAN, I Knew those new chisels were hollering at you and that you couldn't resist their call. That Black walnut was no match for them either. Excellent job on this guy, and I'm glad you left him with the chisel tracks, he looks Awesome. I love how you shaped his head and body and the Hands are totally cool.
Nice Stuff.

L
Loki posted on Sun, May 20, 2007 6:24 PM

Sweet one G...i really like the raw chisel marks...he's a keeper, and i know just the right home :wink:

H

Hi Gman, that´s a realy nice guy. I like the form of his body/back and the mouth.
It´s great to watch those pictures. You are a bussy man. Greetings!

M
MBL posted on Mon, May 21, 2007 3:47 AM

Dude...just excellent. I wish I could have been there for it. Hopefully nex time.
Tim
MBL

You are really cookin' GMan...big or small. This one has a great deal of attitude for such
a small package.

J

I really like the little dude. Such a departure from your style, you have to leave all the chisel marks. For a small carving, it has a lot of presence.

Hi G, the chisel marks are great. The look is old tiki, I like it

Amy

Yow, he's looking great!! Magnum, Higgins, Apollo and Zeus would be very proud. :wink:

Aloha Gman,
Both of the smaller ones look great. I like the amakua's mouth and eyes,it looks killer like it might have came from a cave. And the big ones don't look to shabby either. Those fingers are alien looking.

Thanks for posting the pics.

Cool wee fella G! I like how the 1/4 round dictates an interesting overall shape; Ive recently noticed that this is how the Tangaroa form is contained(...?)
The way the legs/feet disappear into the base give a good feeling of stability & strength, ie: the carving looks as if it's made to last. Something about that base also makes me think that it wants to be mounted(!) atop something else..? I can almost see him sitting waaay up on his own column/pedestal/pole, observing events from above... Just a thought.

Nice looking set of chisels too G! Glad you're still into it & sharing your work mate. I hope to tackle a few larger works in wood this year & plan to give myself a crash-course via a lot of back-browsing through the pages of you seasoned Woodies. I thank you in advance for your involvement Gman; Im sure I will become even better aquainted with your creations when the time comes.

Next!

Tama :)

G
GMAN posted on Tue, May 22, 2007 5:48 PM

Mailman - Thanks. I am quiet around some of them too; I don't trust them. Shhhhhh!....they're listening......

Paipo - Perfect? You mean I can quit now?

Benzo - Thanks. I left the heavy tool tracks just for you! I'm glad you like his shapes, flow, and proportions. The ancients wanted him THIS way! Pesky buggers.

Loki - Where you BEAN? I knowz a good place for him too :D

Haikai - I'm glad you enjoy the progress pictures. I hope someone benefits from them. I've been so stoked to see the work you've been doing lately. Sick stuff!

Conga - Thanks for the note and the support. Love your mask!

JohnnyP - Nope, no departure....the standard G moves still apply. They're there, just look.

QK - Yepper, old-style was the target. Glad to hear I got there.

Finky - Magnum...Zeus!!?? Oh..my...God! Ha hahhahha!

Alien - Found in a cave, aye? What a great compliment! I love it!

Tama - Thanks for the note and for REALLY seeing him. I always look forward to your replies and your perception and insight. He has a strong presence for sure. I have him sitting up over Benz'z #13 and my BFA where he can watch over us and the whole room. As for continuing to share.....I'll keep posting if you do.

B

Welll? Got the Next one done yet? Why not?

gman that looks so cool. now get back to it more work

H

Very nice little guy - he got soul!

G
GMAN posted on Wed, May 23, 2007 5:22 PM

Hey Benz, Marcus, and Hewey, thanks for looking and leaving a note.

I worked on the Aumakua tonight and did a little cleaning up and finished chipping on the base. Everything is all even and nice now. He is finished. He hasn't change much since the other day so I won't post another set of pics. Basically he looks like before, only cleaner, more even, and has another coat of oil. I really enjoyed making this guy. Happy Happy!!

-Gman

hey man! (G)- so i think it's time you not appologise for doing your own work. seriously, no one here is going to grade you on that sh@&. you're the man- do what you will. that is one of the coolest pieces i've seen in a whole. the dynamics of it speek volumes of your experience. the front and profile views seem like they shouldn't match up, but they do!! kick ass! hope to run into you one of these days.
keep it up, man!(G)!

On 2007-05-23 17:22, GMAN wrote:
Basically he looks like before, only cleaner, more even, and has another coat of oil.

Dear Sir:
I do not believe you. At this time, I am asking for you to provide, and make public, photographic evidence of your claims.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation.
Buzzy esq. Rests!

B

Hi G,

Your last creation is very beautiful.It seems to be a new style of tiki, a kind of "maorified" tiki, very good.

What oil did you put on?
What was the goal of the circles you drew on the forehead ? Inlays :wink:

Greetings,

Benj

G
GMAN posted on Thu, May 24, 2007 4:21 PM

Greentikipat - "So I think it's time you not apologize for doing your own work. seriously, no one here is going to grade you on that sh@&. You're the man- do what you will. That is one of the coolest pieces I've seen in a while. The dynamics of it speaks volumes of your experience." Thanks for that. As for carving....I'm around, and likely live near by you. We should get together for some carving time one weekend?

Sir Buzz Esq. - The photographic evidence you requested can be seen below in "Exhibit A."

Benella - Nope, not Maori...Aumakua is Hawaiian. I got interested in the Aumakua after one of his "doubles" played the part of an artifact Ki'i in a Magnum P.I. episode in the 1980's. The Magnum episode was created shortly after an Aumakua Ki'i made headlines in the late 70's. From what I can infer from non-documented sources, an original Aumakua was collected from the Hawaiian Islands in 1779 on Captain Cook's third voyage. This Ki'i made international headlines in 1978 when it was sold by Sotheby's of London to a private collector for $462,500. One of the subsequent owners was forced to sell it to finance a $2 million ransom for the return of their kidnapped daughter. Neato, Huh? This story could be wrong, but it sure is cool. I have lots of Sotheby's auction announcements dealing with sales of oceanic art, but I have not seen any record of this one. Additionally the Ki'i mystery made for a great Magnum epsisode. Another thing that was so cool about this episode was that Rick and AJ from Simon and Simon were in the islands and were hired to steal the Ki'i from Robin Masters' Estate!!! Lads....Patrol!

Exhibit A (for Buzzy)

-G

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

[ Edited by: GMAN 2007-05-24 17:39 ]

G
GMAN posted on Fri, May 25, 2007 6:25 PM

Hey All,

My back is still not ready to resume work on the big figure carving, so I started a new small carving this evening. This guy is going to be a Hawaiian-style Stick Figure. The wood is mahogany. I will be using the stick figure concept shown in the book Hawaiian Sculpture by Cox and Davenport, and I will use the pictures Davez Tikiz posted from his spring trip to the islands for ideas. Thanks Dave!

Thanks for looking; more tomorrow...

-Gman

http://www.oceanandislandarts.blogspot.com/

[ Edited by: GMAN 2007-05-25 23:01 ]

B

Aww,Gee, What happened, they were out of stock?
Nice Stick figure I think. I'll let you know after you post a few more pictures.

H
hewey posted on Sat, May 26, 2007 2:56 AM

looks good so far mate

I love carving mahogany. Very nice start!

J

If that is what happens when you have a bad back! I'm off to go look at Dave's trip photos.

G
GMAN posted on Sat, May 26, 2007 4:35 PM

Greetings,

I finished the Hawaiian Stick carving today and also added some coats of rejuvenating oil to a few of my other carvings that have oil-only finishes. The stick carving will get at least 4 more coats and then will be re-coated every few weeks for a while - as I have done with the others. I find the stick carvings especially interesting as among other things, they were used to make Ki'i sculptures mobile, allowing the user/owner to push them into the ground or sand anywhere they wanted them to stand. I was really captivated by Davez pics from the islands and wanted to make something a bit different for my house. I will weld up a stand for it that has a wood base and a steel rod with two different sized rings welded to it. The carving will sit down into the rings and will be able to be displayed upright on a slight rearward angle. I'll post pics of that after I weld it up - probably a week or so. Anyway, I hope you like him.

Thanks for looking,

Greg

P
Paipo posted on Sat, May 26, 2007 4:46 PM

G, I love these little guys you're doing at the moment...the big stuff is always good but I really like small portable pieces (probably cause we have a tiny house!). They have a simplicity (without being in any way crude) and an ancient style which really appeals. Rather than using metal, why don't you carve yourself a nice wooden trough/bowl with suitable motifs and fill it with sand (maybe someone could send you some genuine Hawaiian sand...)? Then you can push any number of these little fellas into it on whatever angle you like!
PS I want one of these, please make more!

B

Another cool piece Greg, I Dig what Paipo said, Great idea! I Have Walnut for you, you just have to come get it!

Nice little God-stick Gman! The Old Maori tohunga/priest used something very similar to these. After finding the right spot in the bush (often at the foot of a large tree/rock etc) he would dig the God-stick into the ground. There was often a pigment-covered binding below the head/figure & a string which led to the tohunga. He would call his incantation & tug the string to gain the attention of whichever deity the stick represented. Im assuming this is a Hawaiian version of the same..?

Cool idea! I dont think I have ever seen a modern-made one. He'd make a great beer-tap handle or flaming torch - (adapted of course, Im not suggesting you set fire to this beauty) Let us know how/where he will be displayed.

Great to see a few projects flying at the G shop! Whats next?

I will second Paipo's comment about the smaller tikis...I noticed the New Ku statue you did isnt in the recent pix......Is he possibly on his way to the great white north to visit Mr.BALLSomic?? If not, I can always shoot you my address.:D

G.... nice job! I was thinking about trying a figure that style as well... you nailed it! he looks great!

G
GMAN posted on Sun, May 27, 2007 6:30 PM

Paipo - I'm glad you are able to see the ancient style I'm trying to put into these fellas. Some of the older Hawaiian stuff was pretty freaky. I agree, this size is definitely easier to store or have on display. However, I have lotsa room here for the big guys and plan to get back into my big figure carving when my back lets me move him around, and around, and around, and around. It isn't getting him to the bench that is the issue, it's moving him around while he's on the bench.

Benz - Yeah man, I could use some walnut. Hopefully I can get over there one weekend when the doc is home. I could always pay shipping?

Tama - I knew someone would recommend it be used as a "beer tap", however I would have never thought it would have been you. Aack. I might as well hang my art over a urinal somewhere. :wink: But yes, from what I understand, this would be the Hawaiian version of what you described. The string yanking thing is a nice twist - my wife has one of those.......

FBalls - Let me see.....Nope, the Ku is right here chillin at Club-Greg. Thanks for stopping by!

Davez - Thanks for the island pics and for your comment. The shot you took with one of your girls on each side is great. Please post more shots of that style carving if you have them. :D

G
GMAN posted on Mon, May 28, 2007 2:14 PM

Kia ora,

After a quick detour to old Hawaii, I am back in NZ (in my mind at least). I've been back looking through Sotheby's auction papers lately and I came across a neat little Maori figure that they sold. The original is 5 1/2 inches tall, is absolutely magnificent, and sold for 57,000 dollars. The catalog entry suggests that it was carved in the Rougowkakaata tribal style in the early 19th century. I cannot speak to that, but I liked it.

I had a piece of cedar on hand that was a cut off from a larger carving and decided to give something like it a go, with my own twists thrown in of course. Here is the rough-out, 12 inches tall and little better than 4 inches wide.

Thanks for looking,

-G

Very impressive Gman, really like that new piece you got there and that little orange colored one. should be a good one in the end

G
GMAN posted on Tue, May 29, 2007 2:48 PM

Thanks Duddy.

B

WOW.
You're definately is the master of the cedar. You manage it in a superb way and your maori things are always pure lessons to me.

Keep on the super work.

Benj

M

Very nice G !

I'm digin the wee ones as well!

Just got done carving a Mini "Big Joe" from cedar. Fun carving.

Mahalo

McTiki

B

Gman, I'm REALLY Liking where you are going with this guy. The lines are Sleek and sensuous. One problem with working with light colored wood is that if you Don't wash your hands often YOU GET HIM ALL DIRTY!!
Can't wait to see more shots of this bad boy though. :) :) :)

G
GMAN posted on Tue, May 29, 2007 5:24 PM

Benzo,

The dirt is from my left glove. It's like that, damn glove smells like roadkill. No worries as I'll be staining this guy dark. :D

-G

H
hewey posted on Tue, May 29, 2007 8:57 PM

These little guys are very nice mate - great to see them :D

On 2007-05-28 14:14, GMAN wrote:
Kia ora,

After a quick detour to old Hawaii, I am back in NZ (in my mind at least). I've been back looking through Sotheby's auction papers lately and I came across a neat little Maori figure that they sold. The original is 5 1/2 inches tall, is absolutely magnificent, and sold for 57,000 dollars. The catalog entry suggests that it was carved in the Rougowkakaata tribal style in the early 19th century.

Lovely start Gman. He's got some great shape/form going on. -Any chance of seeing your reference pic? Im wondering whether he was part of another carving or free-standing; the latter were fairly rare compared to other Polynesian Isles. Cool choice of subject matter.

J

Much sweetness from down south. Lots of neat pictures, (I hate dial up) looks like you were busy over the holiday, while I was off playing around.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 2950 replies