Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

How Should We Celebrate Tiki Central's 20th Anniversary?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 324 replies

:up: Cammo???!!!

T

Coaster looks great!

So, I added the back image, just to post the idea I had.

Anyone, feel free to make suggestions? comments? Should the wording on the front be gold also? I was thinking if we did a 50th year run of items, then it could be gold !! But, then the wording on the website is in a nice gold, so, that kinda makes sense also. Any thoughts about the design?, the wording?, the colors?

I have found a local (Orange County CA) company that can also do coasters. He is going to send me quotes. Might help to avoid shipping, and make them a bit cheaper. Also the name of the place is Aloha Graphics :)

I saw that cocktail umbrellas were something that some folks were interested in. I know that they can be a divisive issue, but I thought I would jot down a tentative design for it in case it gets some traction.

[ Edited by: CosmoReverb 2019-10-16 13:57 ]

T

Wow!
Those are cool too!
Great job.

This is part of what I did not like about the Facebook poll that is you had renderings of a Swizzle stick and an Enamel pin and low and behold they came out on top.

Not seeing the other choices kinda short changed the other choices.

But I really kinda like them all.

CosmoReverb,
That is awesome!!! Thanks for working on this. I didn't see anyone working on the umbrella design, so, I was going to try on something on the weekend, but, I'm not very accomplished with photoshop. I found a guy making umbrellas in SLO, he actually made the 60th anniv umbrellas for Tonga Hut. He's got great prices, and plus free shipping, so, I'm going to send you the template, that he sent me, and the website info.

I like the idea of coasters too. Very much so.

Just in case anyone cares what I thought :)

Slacks Ferret,
I think we all care.....the more people that are interested the more chance we have of making some of these items. :)

BB

On 2019-10-16 13:33, CosmoReverb wrote:
I saw that cocktail umbrellas were something that some folks were interested in. I know that they can be a divisive issue, but I thought I would jot down a tentative design for it in case it gets some traction.

Love. It. To. Death.

tikiskip said, Now that we have thought about it we can go back to sleep and do nothing.

I keep checking back and I guess we are all still asleep. Wendy

H
Hamo posted on Wed, Oct 23, 2019 9:39 PM

Sorry--I have been traveling and sick and not around here for a while, so I need catch up before chiming in again, but great work keeping discussion going everybody.

T

I do have to say there seams to be more movement than I thought there would be on this.

This may be one of those few times I am wrong.

Some stuff is still going on just not posted yet.

PineappleWhip really is doing a great job on this as are some others, it is a bit harder to do a bunch of work and put in tons of effort when there is no payday at the end so thanks to all for their free time and efforts.

Hey PineappleWhip you need a thread where you show every step and meeting you have so we can follow along, bet it would be a long thread.
And it would help the next poor sap who volunteers to do this next time.

I do love that cocktail umbrella!

Aloha everyone,
I met with PinTiki the other night and we had a great conversation about some of the logistics and details regarding the pins.

I found a different cocktail umbrella printer that has some reasonable prices, when you add in all the details (full color printing, shipping, setup fee, etc.) and sent that info to CosmoReverb, along with the companies template....along with a few PM's back and forth with CosmoReverb. I think the umbrella design is awesome.

If there are other items that we might want, and we get finalized artwork for all of it....(proper resolution at printed size, most places want certain file formats, etc.) then I think we can start getting a better understanding of actual costs.

I am also working on a few ideas (offline) that, I will wait till I get some confirmation and buy in before I say anything. It's pretty awesome the amount of talented people that are connected thru this website. :)

Cheers!! :drink:

PineappleWhip thank you.

P

Hey folks, I was talking to PineappleWhip and we wanted to run this by you guys. Regarding the 20th Anniversary pin, there was a request to make it possible to use the pin as both a lapel pin and a charm that could be put on a necklace or bracelet. This is possible and we can do it, but we wanted to see if there was truly much interest in it as it does affect the look of the pin for those who do not want to use it as a charm. So here is a rough mockup of how the pin would look with a hole added- and also how it would look with a jump-ring installed so it could be used with a chain.

We'd like to know how much interest there really is in adding this hole to the pin, or would you prefer to just have it as a standard pin? Let us know.

Mahalo!

Pin with hole only

Pin with jump-ring installed

PinTiki,
Thanks for the post!!! Should we maybe put an end time on the poll? Is there anyone that can help get the word out to groups on Facebook, Instagram, word of mouth? How about we ask for people to reply with a YES...or ...NO... for the hole....and reply before Nov 22, 2019, which should give this week and next week.

That is before Thanksgiving, which I understand is only an American holiday, but, before it gets busy with Thanksgiving preparations??

Does that sound reasonable to everyone?

If we are all in agreement ....then we tally up the responses and see what makes sense.??

Thanks again PinTiki. I can’t wait to see these in real life !! :)

H
Hamo posted on Sun, Nov 10, 2019 2:24 PM

The pin design looks great. I'm indifferent to the hole--personally, I probably wouldn't use it for a necklace.

H

I like the idea of the standard pin also.

How about if I start a count?

So far we have:

YES for the pendant hole: 0

NO for the pendant hole: 2

T

I'm a NO for the pendant hole.

But they would make cool earrings too.

I'd vote NO to the hole.

Latest update for the count is:

NO for the pendant hole: 4

No hole, please.

I prefer no hole. Which is a phrase I never imagined myself saying.

T

No hole for me.

[ Edited by: tikigreg 2019-11-13 18:18 ]

Latest update for the count is:

NO for the pendant hole: 7

Thank you everyone for your votes!! Last day to vote is: 11-22-19

[ Edited by: PineappleWhip 2019-11-13 20:25 ]

[ Edited by: PineappleWhip 2019-11-13 20:25 ]

Aloha everyone,
So, I am posting this for everyone to review. Eric October did an AMAZING job at lightning speed to create the front artwork!! I thought maybe this should go in a different section, but, I figured I would put it in here, cause I'm not sure where else it would go.

There were some discussions here on TC about how there is a lot of new people in the Tiki community that may or may not have heard of Tiki Central, and I thought a postcard like you see in bars, and restaurants would be a great idea. The result is posted below. This in intended to be something to pass out to gain some visibility to Tiki Central. It will be going to print the end of this week. I do welcome comments, but, this is the first, of hopefully more to come, and time is short, so.....unless there is some major concerns, or things to change, let's get these printed so they can start making their way into peoples hands :) But, please let me know your thoughts!! It is a community....and something to be mindful of.

Front of postcard

Back of postcard

The funding for the artwork, printing, and shipping is already taken care of. The only thing now is to distribute. There will be 5,000 of these on 3x4 double sided, UV coated glossy, 14PT card stock. As was mentioned before, some of these should be retained for events, and others can go to bars, tiki hangouts, home bars, etc.!!!

I am asking for help from TC's who want to help distribute them in their areas. Obviously, shipping cost is a concern.....so, if anyone wants to help with that....it would be very appreciated!! Please PM me if you would like to help distribute, and also if you would like to help with shipping costs along with distribution.

If it helps some people discover Tiki Central and they get as much enjoyment as I have with it, then TC is all he better for it :)

[ Edited by: PineappleWhip 2019-12-08 15:49 ]

Great work. I think it looks awesome and will help spread the word. A couple typographical things:

-Marketplace is missing a T
-Ceremonial has an extra I
-I "think" there is no need for an apostrophe in "shape it's design" as it's not possessive (I could be wrong).

Also, you mention "free search" right under "searchable archive." And at the bottom it says you can explore and join for free. A bit of redundancy there. Maybe the list should read...

-A searchable archive
-Free account set up

Then leave the bottom text in tact. All your points will come across.

Mikehooker,
Thank you !!! Good catch!! I greatly appreciate your help. I will update tomorrow

H
Hamo posted on Thu, Nov 14, 2019 8:13 PM

THIS IS MAGNIFICENT!

Mike is right about all those corrections (including the apostrophe in 'its'), plus I think it should be changed to "The main ceremonial gathering house for those who celebrate..." (changing from "a" and omitting "created"). And I'm partial to the tikicentral.org address myself, but that's pretty minor.

Also, as an amateur poet who believes line breaks are important, I think the following lines should be:

Tiki Central
has been your online ohana
24 hours a day
since January 2000

...and...

Explore Tiki Central free today
or join free to contribute
to a 16,000+ strong ohana

Great work, tobunga and PineappleWhip!

H
Hamo posted on Thu, Nov 14, 2019 8:16 PM

By the way, I just want to say that while I may have started this thread, all of the great stuff that is coming to fruition is really because of PineappleWhip's passion and legwork. Great job!

Hamo,
Thanks for your comments, I will make the corrections from mikehooker, and Hamo. I’m not sure if there’s enough space to do the line breaks though. The cut lines and bleed lines aren’t shown on the card, but, are restricting the space available on the card. I will give it a whirl tomorrrow !! :wink:

Thanks for the encouragement Hamo. I Think there is some amazing collaboration on this site
Hamo for the great idea to start
Great pin design from PinTiki
AWESOME swizzle design by CosmoReverb
Tobunga for the super cool artwork
CosmoReverb also with a great umbrella

I think there’s a great diversity of talent connected to this site. I just saw a thread the other day about an art swap. There was some totally amazing artwork happening there!!

Thanks everyone for you contributions!! There is some great stuff going on!!

Good morning TC Ohana!!
I'm calling this the Tiki Central Intro Card for lack of a more clever title.

So, below is the back of the Intro card only....to address my typos, and to show the re-formatted verbage. It did fit once I changed text height inbetween the sentences, so, I was able to re-structure....and still fit everything :) Thanks Hamo !!

Back of Intro Card

There were no comments on the front...sssooo....I'm figuring that's good??

If anyone can review and comment, then we can go to print with these and start them circulating.

ok.....ok...now I'm looking at it, and starting to get into little details...I changed a bit of the text heights and stuff....how about this one:

Altenate....

Please let me know...which you think is better

OK....sorry everyone....I did a test print...and this needs to be on a 5x7....so that is shows off Tobungas art better, and everything is more readable. And so to keep the cost relatively the same....it's now going to be 2,500 cards.

Here is the re-format:

TC Intro Front 5x7

TC Intro Card Back 5x7

It's very close....just slightly different format. So, I will get some lunch...and send it on it's way before going home today...if everyone is in agreement??

Sorry, I don't know how to do much artistic work....I'm just trying to do what I can :)

Looks great with the reformat!

On 2019-11-14 20:16, Hamo wrote:
By the way, I just want to say that while I may have started this thread, all of the great stuff that is coming to fruition is really because of PineappleWhip's passion and legwork. Great job!

The lad's enthusiasm and energy is fantastic and contagious - hear hear!!

Aloha TC’s,
As I mentioned before, I found a company in San Luis Obispo CA., that is making cocktail umbrellas. This company is LoungeLoot. Their website price is $405 + shipping for 1,000 umbrellas. CosmoReverb already did an amazing job on the umbrella design, and seemed that people liked the design.

Attached is the LoungeLoot pricing as seen online:

....this is $405 for 1,000 umbrellas with free shipping.

He has offered an invoice to Tiki Central for $340.43 !!.....for Tiki Central, and in exchange for some marketing, which I am currently working on trying to setup.

This is a great price, compared to others I have seen. LoungeLoot is also, involved with Tiki Marketplaces, and was recently at Bali Hai market. You can see some of the umbrellas they’ve made for others on their website.

Now is the time to get this order in.....so that we can get the manufacturing started, as it is a 8 week lead time. BUT, he has said that he will do his best to get them to turn around these in a quick turnaround...of which they did an order one time in 5 weeks.

ICosmoReverb has already sent him the full res file....and he is ready to send to manufacturing. :)

If we want umbrellas we need to fund this. $340 / 10 people is $34. They can be sold along with the pin, coaster, and then we can credit back the investors. I don't know much about doing a kickstarter.....but, we can also, just do this old style and put our cash together.

Who wants to get umbrellas made!!??

OOHHH, and of course if we want to make more for some reason...then the setup fee goes away...and they are cheaper!! Actually need to see if he would apply the same cost discount.!!

Latest...is that Heath sent some investment money for the umbrella....so we are getting closer. THANK YOU HEATH !!! I’m starting a spreadsheet...you’re first on board!!

S

[ Edited by: swizzle 2019-11-16 23:15 ]

T

I will pay to help get the cocktail umbrellas going.
Will pay pal with the ship costs of cards.

Again Great work PineappleWhip!

H
Heath posted on Sat, Nov 16, 2019 3:31 PM

On 2019-11-10 11:57, PinTiki wrote:
Hey folks, I was talking to PineappleWhip and we wanted to run this by you guys. Regarding the 20th Anniversary pin, there was a request to make it possible to use the pin as both a lapel pin and a charm that could be put on a necklace or bracelet. This is possible and we can do it, but we wanted to see if there was truly much interest in it as it does affect the look of the pin for those who do not want to use it as a charm. So here is a rough mockup of how the pin would look with a hole added- and also how it would look with a jump-ring installed so it could be used with a chain.

We'd like to know how much interest there really is in adding this hole to the pin, or would you prefer to just have it as a standard pin? Let us know.

Mahalo!

Pin with hole only

Pin with jump-ring installed

For what it's worth...
I would have to agree on "no hole" if this is the actual size of the pin.
If it's not, then I'm willing to bet the hole wouldn't be too noticeable on a smaller version. It would then be up to the owner to make it necklace ready.
Personally, I prefer the jump-ring option.

Heath !!!
Thank you for reminding me. I have an email from PinTiki. He is planning on making the pin 1.5” wide. I will let him confirm that, when he returns, but, my question to him was what the size of the hole would be with the pin that size.....and to have the vendor make sure that the jump ring would fit in.

...OR...

The pin gets slightly bigger (..maybe 1.75”)...with the hole staying the same size. I believe that when worn you wouldn’t notice the hole, but, I have already written to PinTiki to request a design with the two loops as Swizz suggested to see how that looks.

Then everyone can review and discuss.

Thank you to CosmoReverb for the amazing design....and to everyone support to get the umbrellas started: The original price per the invoice is: $340.43.

Thanks to the following for investing to get this started:
Heath
Unnamed Investor
Hakalugi
Tikiskip

**Due to the efforts of these investors we are now at $224.43 !!! **

This is amazing commitment in such a short time. Thank you for helping to make this a reality. I will be keeping a spreadsheet of investors and percentages, and when PinTiki is available, I will request some of his time to discuss how to setup this item on his website....which, we should be thanking him as well !!

OK...we are getting REALLY close actually....thanks to some amazing investment....we are almost there. We just need a few more people to make this a reality. I had a nice conversation with LoungeLoot regarding the umbrellas.

He is busy with a few projects....but, will be making time to introduce himself (I think :wink: ) so, hope to hear from him soon...and we can thank him for helping with this project!!

T

Ok so now is the time to pay it forward TC members and lookie lews.

To all the people who have made any money promoting what they sell on TC this site was here when you needed to get the word out about the event you wanted to promote.
TC was here for all you eBay sales people.
TC was here for all you mug makers and sellers.
TC was here for all you tiki light and décor sellers.
TC was here for all you book writers and seminar people.
TC was here for all you art types that put tiki down on canvas or paper.
TC was here for all you carvers to sell from.
TC was here for all those big and small tiki events to get the word out.
TC was the birthplace of that fringe group you are in.

Do you think what you were selling would have done even half as well as you did WITHOUT Tikicentral?

Damn TC was there to help you free of charge and now it's time to help fund a few items to promote TC and the twenty years it has been around.

You will in the end get some stuff for your help and maybe even some of the seed Money you give back.

I could not sit by and not help the site that helped me sell many lights over the years.

History will remember this site through these items and even the people who did, and more importantly who did NOT help with this effort.

PineappleWhip and CosmoReverb, PinTiki, Eric October have done the hard work, now it's time to send a small portion of those profits you have made off tiki and this site BACK.

These items will be the stuff tiki nutz collect many years from now, what if Trader Vic, Donn Beach, and the Kahiki people did not stick their necks out and risk their money to create the places we love and collect what's left of them now.

PineappleWhip is the person to contact for seed money help with this project.

M

Hear hear Tiki Skip! This lookie lou is ready to help. I will contribute $$ and time to help assemble or distribute items. I am new to Tiki adventures and love the passion and enthusiasm. Keep us posted on methods to send $$. Looking forward to this coming together which will translate to future milestone anniversaries for TC. Great work everyone!

We have another UPDATE!!! This is awesome everyone!!

Thank you to CosmoReverb for the amazing design....and to everyone support to get the umbrellas started: The original price per the invoice is: $340.43.

Thanks to the following for investing to get this started:
Heath
PineappleWhip
Hakalugi
Tikiskip
Anonymous Investor
Mele_Ipo

Due to the efforts of these investors we have now raised $275.00 !!! .....only $65.43 more to go!!

This is amazing commitment in such a short time. Thank you for helping to make this a reality. I will be keeping a spreadsheet of investors and percentages, and when PinTiki is available, I will request some of his time to discuss how to setup this item on his website....which, we should be thanking him as well !!

OK...we are now even CLOSER :) ...thanks to some amazing investment....we are almost there. We just need a few more people to make this a reality.

T

Lot's of work being done on here. Great job to you all!!

I'm voting no hole on the pin.

Also, love the postcard and the idea but would like to see a version of the card with no writing on the front. The TC sign is good enough. I think it leaves a little more to the imagination and focuses on the great art work!

PineappleWhip I messaged you.

Mahalo!! TabooDan

Aloha all,

Just a quick note to introduce myself here. I've been a member here almost 5 years and am the guy behind Lounge Loot (along with my amazing wife). We started Lounge Loot a couple of years ago in order to bring something back to the Tiki cocktail community that used to exist but had died. Back in the day, most bars had their own branded cocktail parasols and we would hunt them down at estate sales, online, and at flea markets. We're not getting rich making umbrellas, but it's very rewarding to make a small contribution in creating a more authentic Polynesian Pop experience.

PineappleWhip reached out to me on this project and thanks to his hard work and the contributions of many TC'ers, it looks like we'll be producing the TC anniversary parasols. I consider it an honor to be able to contribute to this! In addition to CosmoReverb's great design, we're also working on related details that should make the parasols a really cool collector's item.

Mahalo!
Shane from Lounge Loot

Aloha TC's,
So, this post is to lay out all the possible options for the pin. The idea being presented is by request to make a "universal" pin, which could be used as follows:

1.) Pin
....by clipping the loop...or loops off the top of the pin and using a file to make the top flat. This would be done by the person buying the pin. The metal is coated black...and there might possibly be a shiny bright spot on the top of the pin from filing, but, may or may not be seen.

2.) Pendant (Different Loops designs shown)
....by clipping the pin posts on the back of the pin and using a file to make the back flat. This would be done by the person buying the pin. The metal is coated black....and there might possibly be a shiny bright spot on the back of the pendant from filing, but, wouldn't be seen. The person would install the jump ring, which would be provided...for an additional fee (not sure how much the jump ring costs)

Below is attached the art from PinTiki showing the various options. Due to the new option requested....if everyone could vote again...for which option they would prefer. I will try my best to update the count by option in a summary post. I again propose to put an end date to the voting that would then close the voting, so that there can be a consensus, and then manufacturing. ALSO, if there are enough people that want pendants AND pins...PLEASE speak up, and mention it in your post....because if there is a demand why not make both!! (if PinTiki wishes to agree to making more...of course)

OPTION A

• Pin Only - two pin posts on back

OPTION B

• For Pendant - file to remove posts on back
  • For Pin - no filing needed for pin

OPTION C

• For Pin - file to remove loop

OPTION D

• For Pin - file to remove both loops

OPTION E

• For Pin - file to remove both loops

The next post will be a Pin/Pendant Vote Count...similar to the format previously used, but, now including the other options.
Let's extend the voting end date....due to the new options....and close it by Nov 26th. I'm sure many people will be busy with Thanksgiving preparations.
How does that sound?

PinTiki has asked for me to post......as I believe he is still busy.

[ Edited by: PineappleWhip 2019-11-18 14:33 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 324 replies