Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Official Tiki Oasis 11 thread

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 644 replies

On 2011-08-23 08:20, Big Vic wrote:
Thanks Otto for kicking Johnny rooster guy out for next year. Bringing a rooster was so very un cool. As you know I'm all about goofy costumes but a live animal is not an accessory! That poor bird was scared when he was walking around with it in the crowd. Raising chickens was my hobby as a kid (grew up in Petaluma) so this stunt pissed me off.

I have to agree with you on that one. The guy brought that rooster, under his arm, to the Jason and the RIP Tides show on Saturday night, with Thee Swank Bastards. He went inside the party and put the rooster on the bar! I thought that that was pretty odd, and bordering on animal cruelty. But, I don't know if the rooster was there when they started playing, minutes later.
It was such a bizarre sight. Everyone was making "cock" jokes, of course.

Otto and Baby Doe, Thank you again for such a good time, you never fail to disappoint. Looking forward to 2012!

He didn't pick the rooster up till 6, the next morning... Pretty lame.
Szandora took good care of it though.

On 2011-08-23 08:40, Matt Reese wrote:

On 2011-08-23 07:19, TNT wrote:
No burlesque isn't dirty but is a form of adult entertainment. I don't feel comfortable with the little kids there and if I were a performer that would be too weird for me. I personally would love to see this as a 21 and over event for the entire weekend.

I here you and believe me I understand both sides of it. I am friends with some of the dancers and we discussed this very subject. They seemed to be happy with the kids there. I guess the real question is how the parents are handling it. Some of us will just have to agree to disagree.
Peace with every step.

I think that folks just won't see eye to eye on this subject. It's understandable. If you don't have kids, you cannot understand why they would be attracted to the stage. But, if you do have kids, you know that they want to see the bands and dance and have fun, until about 8:30, then, they should be going back to their separate hotel with grandma or a nanny for the night. After staying the hotel for the first time, I can see that a "quiet" room at the Crowne Plaza just does not exist. I wasn't surprised by that.

I have to say that I entirely agree that the kids should not be allowed to just stand up right at the edge of the stage during the burlesque show. I wanted to tell the kids to sit down, but, I didn't feel that it was my place to tell someone else's kids, what to do. I think that people wouldn't even notice kids at this event, if they didn't stand right at the front of the stage. Maybe, a new rule could be that kids must sit on the ground, when in front, during burlesque. That would be the best thing for everyone.

It would be easy. King Kukulele can tell them that that's the rule, and they'd do it. Simple as that. He's like the Pied Piper with kids. Barring children from Tiki Oasis is not cool. Everyone should remember that our gracious hosts, Otto and Baby Doe have 2 young sons that attend every year, with them. I met a guy that has been attending Tiki Oasis for the past 9 years. His parents have always brought him, and the guy was about 20 years old. Let's all be tolerant of others, and just remember, that we're all here to have fun and enjoy all that is tiki!

I was Really Blown away, the whole weekend at Tiki Oasis,
I had about 20 different people(most of whom I had never met)
come up to me and tell me they were at the SG101 convention the weekend before
Tiki Oasis, and how much of a great time they had.

So to all of you who came to both,
Cheers to you, the Hardcore!!
I salute you.

time for a nap.
and some cough syrup,
ugh!!!!

Jeff(btd)

BV

Not to get carried away with this rooster thing. But I brought a rooster to the event as well. Here is the way to show off your cock! No animals got hurt in the making of this tattoo!

I had a great time at this years Oasis, many thanks to Otto, Baby Doe, the volunteers, performers, presenters, room party/crawl hosts and vendors.

More details (not in any particular order):

I noticed no one pointed out how efficient was Thrusday's evening registration, I was very impressed by the improvement. Kudos to that.

I'll flat out admit that I wasn't a huge fan of the theme, even though I understand the reasoning. Having said that, it did not prevent me from having tons of fun (hey, I created a themed drink "The Donkey Show"), and I suggest that other "purists" take note, with all the fun stuff to do, and experience, Tiki Oasis is what you make it. So, Otto, bring out that "Civil War Tiki" theme for 2013, we can handle it! :wink:

The Burlesque debate, never fails to resurface almost every year...I think ample warnings should do the trick.

I was blown away by how much more fun the room parties are getting (even though it seems crazy that the standard has been raised to corporate sponsors and a minumum of one live band).

I and the rest of The Sand Devils, had a lot of fun playing at the Goin' Primitive/Mojave Oasis/Tikiyaki/Tonga Hut party on Saturday, thanks to all who came and of course to Amy, Rory, Jim, Jeremy and Kelly for hosting and bar tending (respectively) the party.

I went to 3 symposiums and enjoyed them all: Martin Cate's "CSI: Cocktail" - pure genius, Swanky's Mai Kai, and Charles Phoenix slide show.

I really dug Orchestra Superstring, they were awsome. I was looking forward to checking out Herb but could only sample the first song, due to the schedule running 1 hour late on Saturday night, but it's a perdicament I put myself into (no one forced me to choose to play a room party).

Lastly, I know that the Atrium set by Los Seafinks might have been too much for some people, but it was such a blast! Awsome job guys!

See you all next year,
Ran

[ Edited by: kick_the_reverb 2011-08-23 13:08 ]

On 2011-08-22 14:15, tikithomas08 wrote:
yup it was us! and it was impromptu, we werent allowed to play our second room party so we set up shop down there, hope we didnt step on any toes! thanks for everyone that came out! we are los seafinks, and u can download our album for free on our facebook http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Los-SeaFinks/152794888100042

Your show was just the coolest idea! We saw two guys slam dancing on the 7th floor elevator lobby to your music.
I took a photo from the balcony up there, I'll post it later for you. I thought that it was just rockin'!
... and NOT the random main stage drunk drummer guy/gal. But, I was just too tired to get up to yell at them
from the balcony. ha ha ha!

This was my first Tiki Oasis Event and I have to say."WOW" It took awhile to soak it all in.
But Huge prop's to Baby Doe and Otto for putting this together. I thing some people should know how much time this must have taken to put into motion.
It must have been interesting to watch this thing grow from year to year and try to guess were it would go. Also a big shout out to the hotel. They were all Smiles and took it all in stride.

Sand Devils were awesome in our room party...Thank You

Kelly from Tonga Hut thank you for being a great mix-ologist.

and every one who made me feel at home......Thanks

Rory "WILDSVILLE MAN" Snyder

http://www.tiki-caliente.com/

[ Edited by: Wildsville man 2011-08-23 12:43 ]

S

Thanks Otto and Doe for all the work and such an immense event! Thanks to the volunteers and coordinators who did so much.

Still sorting out my first Oasis. I give myself "Biggest Mistake" award. I was so caught up in TIki nerd-ness, I saw this:

Immediately knew I was lookign at a vintage Milan Guanko that everyone was just walking past. ASked the vendor and he said all he knew was they were old, and he wanted $275 for all three. Well, before I said "SOLD!" I said, oh, that is by Milan Guanko. So his wife starts telling people walking by it a Guanko and whil eI am chatting with the husband someone else buys them!
DammiT! 2 Hell!

If I come back and talk more Mai-Kai, it'll be 4 hours long and I won't leave anything out...

H

On 2011-08-23 13:45, Swanky wrote:
Thanks Otto and Doe for all the work and such an immense event! Thanks to the volunteers and coordinators who did so much.

Still sorting out my first Oasis. I give myself "Biggest Mistake" award. I was so caught up in TIki nerd-ness, I saw this:

Immediately knew I was lookign at a vintage Milan Guanko that everyone was just walking past. ASked the vendor and he said all he knew was they were old, and he wanted $275 for all three. Well, before I said "SOLD!" I said, oh, that is by Milan Guanko. So his wife starts telling people walking by it a Guanko and whil eI am chatting with the husband someone else buys them!
DammiT! 2 Hell!

If I come back and talk more Mai-Kai, it'll be 4 hours long and I won't leave anything out...

I bought those! I asked the price and said "I'll take 'em, please ring 'em up". The tall one looks like it could be by Milan Guanko but after looking at his carvings in the BOT I'm not so sure. The middle one is from Mai Tiki. The smallest one I'm not sure of.

As for the Theme of this years Oasis and some not being into it.

I have to say that I understood some people's point of view of it not being very Tiki.
But at the same time, I think it worked, and being a So. Cal. native and being surrounded by
a lot of this culture everyday it didn't bug me at all.

I think that the 12 different versions of "South of the Border" and then multiple versions of "Tequila" on sunday morning while I ate at the hotel restaurant was a bit much, and I wanted to go over and ask the DJ if he thought that was witty,
as I thought it was monotonous.

There was definitely a rowdy vibe to some of the late night room parties.
and I Remember hearing the Los Sea Finks playing at the Bottom of the atrium, looking down on them from the 6th floor, and "Thinking What the Hell"???
Then seeing the Elevator Foot cutting incident go down, and hearing the
Swank Bastards playing their Black Sabbath set, and thinking this was the sound track to the Apocalypse, and how TIKI was this?

Then when the Fire alarm got pulled and I woke up startled of of a couch in a room party.
and walking out across the grass/lobby/parking lot of the Crowne Plazza.
And Hearing all sorts of commotion back at the hotel, and a Fire Truck pulling into the parking lot, I couldn't help but thinking of Nero laughing and playing a violin while Rome burned.

I've always said that Tiki Oasis is what you make it.
And if you aren't into certain aspects of it, get away form those aspects.
Don't let them happen, and then complain about it later like a helpless victim.

Things I loved about this years Tiki Oasis.
of course Surfer Joe's Boss combo and
the amazing view, and vibe of looking at SD from Shelter Island at night.

I thought that Marty Lush and the Latin Livers were a riot, I couldn't stop laughing.

The Creepzotica band

and DJ Bonebreaks Superstring Orchestra were Outstanding,
wish they could have played more.

And Swanky's seminar(sadly the only 1 i attended)
made me want to go to the Mai Kai right then.

There was ton's more stuff I wanted to do,
but I didn't want to stress, and Tiki Oasis is my short 4 day vacation in the summer.

I felt bad that I missed almost all of the bands playing in room parties,
but I was DJing the Tikiyaki,Mojave Oasis,Goin' Primitive,Tonga Hut room party.

Jeff(btd)

P.S. Thanks to those who made it to Ran(kick the reverb) and my drink stop on Fri. or Sun.
The compliments were very welcome, and a surprise for me, as I don't consider myself
anywhere near a mixologist as Ran is.
The Donkey Show, and Dirty Sanchez seemed to be a Hit for those lucky few who got them.

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2011-08-23 16:05 ]

I had an amazing time at Oasis this year! The Hula Girls played FOUR times and I was still able to find time to hang out with friends and see some of my buddies' bands.... DJ's set was amazing! So was the Big Sandy/ Los Straitjackets set! Maybe next year Deke should come and do a Ventures Mania set featuring some of their spy songs??

On Saturday night, there was a group of guys in their early 20s who were all blacked out drunk walking around the room parties... Non had a wristband or even looked to be into the tiki thing. I found out later that night that they had been pawing at my girlfriend and at other girls, making them feel super uncomfortable. Obviously it REALLY pissed me off... Maybe eventually the WHOLE hotel should be wristband entry only...

Around 3am, as I was loading out from our room party for Forbidden Island, I saw two of them detained by security and another one being held away from the other two. Seems like every year, there are a couple of yahoos who get in to the room party thing and cause trouble because they don't know how to hold their booze. That was the only shadow cast on Oasis for me this year (well, that and my voice going out on me for the Sunday performance)...

Oh, and a BIG thanks to Otto, Baby Doe, and Maitai for taking the car show entertainment to the next level by getting us a stage this year! We had a pretty good sized crowd! Hopefully the car show progresses into something bigger and bigger every year!

It was Great to wake up to the sounds of the Hula Girls.

You guys were troopers this weekend.

Jeff(btd)

B

Well now I feel bad since I'm one of the first to bring up the Rooster thing. It was poor judgment on the part of the vendor, but they shouldn't be banned, just told no more non-human animals, IMHO. Though it interupted my attempt to sleep, I loved the idea of the band in the Atrium. As for the burlesque and kids, if you watched the kids, as I did the past two years, and if their parents were ok with it, I think they did fine. I kind of agree with Jeff BTD that you know what to expect at such an event.

Still a little pissed at the fire alarm and phantom drummer, though!

When heading over to the Crowne Plaza on Sunday night, the 8 Freeway was overwhelmed by Police Cars heading East with sirens blasting. Turned out they were responding to a very tragic event in El Cajon.

Channel 6 San Diego News

Could not help but think that things might have gotten too wild at TO11 when I saw them speeding up the 8 though.

[ Edited by: KING BUSHWICH THE 33RD 2011-08-23 20:15 ]

I've been attending Tiki Oasis since the one "Zombie Island" theme a few years back, but this was the first one that I attended 3 days :) (Next year will be all four days!!) As far as my own personal feedback goes:

--Volunteering: Definitely will do this again next year and will recruit more friends to join in the fun! I was able to meet a lot of people and it felt good to be involved and help out.
--Vending: Excellent array of clothing at all different price points as well as fun trinkets and home decor.
--2012 Birds of Paradise Calender: Superb! High quality shots, all of them! Very impressed!
--Pin-up Safrai: Less organized than last year's but still productive. High caliber of photographers, can't wait to see our images!
--Rooster: I didn't stay at the hotel so I only saw the rooster one time...I thought it was kind of fun and he was a nice rooster. Made me wonder why tiki enthusiasts with tropical birds and parrots don't bring their birds with them to T.O. I guess it's because of the hotel charge? I kind of would like to see live parrots or cockatoos in the front hotel to greet all the guests!
--Food: I wish more food options had been available...maybe Polynesian food? The restaurant on site at the hotel is pretty much terrible for the over-inflated prices. The only other food I saw at the event were rum cakes, and the burger stand that had the same burgers as the restaurant.
--Mocktails: A lot of emphasis is put on the alcohol at the event, obviously...but what about the kids, and adults who don't drink alcohol? A non-refillable soda at the restaurant costed $3.50 :/. I think there should be a special mocktail tiki bar where people can order fun sodas and fancy virgin blended ice drinks. This bar would most likely make a killing!
--Burlesque: In my opinion, burlesque is adult entertainment and should be treated as such. A lot of adults don't even want to watch it or appreciate it and see it as watered down stripping. Personally, I don't want to see some gals knockers and nalgas giggling around all over the place, nor do I want my fella, his 5-year old son, or my grandma, who is 93 and may attend next year, to be seeing that either. Traditional hula girls or Go-go dancers yes, but burlesque is something entirely different. Everyone should be able to enjoy tiki oasis, no matter what their age. An idea is for the burlesque to be moved either to a different area off the main stage (possibly a banquet room with a large, elaborately decorated stage that does burlesque performances all day long), or have that type of entertainment begin later than 8:30pm. Let's keep it classy, San Diego!

O
Otto posted on Tue, Aug 23, 2011 11:44 PM

Wow, two pages of positive stuff popped up here in the past 24 hours! Thanks everyone for pointing out the HUGE amount of super awesome activities that happen at Tiki Oasis and go down without a problem and with lots of smiling faces.

I will contact troublemakers on an individual basis and let them know they are not welcome.

Anyone know who the onstage 1:30 am drummer is please PM me so I can cross that off my list

thanks again to the other 1899 people for coming and having safe fun!!

[ Edited by: Otto 2011-08-24 17:56 ]

Good times
Mahalo to everyone who let me put a video camera in their face. We shot 14 hours a day and then drank a bit too. Thanks to those who delivered drinks to me!

Stay tuned for the edited versions of the videos Crystal Cove Media is working hard on getting them right and tight for your eyes.
youtube search tikioasis tv
or heres a link to a last year performance to get you started

Subscribe to it and you'll be first to see the goods!

SF

Thanks Otto and Baby Doe. My wife and I had a great time. The highlights were,Jacques Bezuidenhout's tequila semier, Big Sandy and Los Straitjackets,and Martin Cates CSI Cocktail semier. Mr. Bongo was great fun too.
I think the burlesque should stay right where it is, not everything has to be kid friendly, this is a more adult weekend, lets don't water it down.
And thanks to all the volenteers, everything I saw ran perfect.Thanks again for a great weekend.

S

On 2011-08-23 14:01, Hakalugi wrote:

DammiT! 2 Hell!

I bought those! I asked the price and said "I'll take 'em, please ring 'em up". The tall one looks like it could be by Milan Guanko but after looking at his carvings in the BOT I'm not so sure. The middle one is from Mai Tiki. The smallest one I'm not sure of.

It is definitely a Guanko. The other 2 I am thinking are both Mai Tiki. They are likely all the same era. Milan carved a lot right up intot he 80s. Wayne started in 1974.

So, for the record, did you buy them on your own, or did she sell them to you as Guankos? Just wondering if I should be kicking myself or not for spouting my knowledge before buying...

Man, Tiki Oasis just keeps getting better every year.

I have to admit, I was a little skeptical about the Tijuana theme when it was first announced. I definitely get the exotica tie in and I’m a fan of Sergio Mendes and Herb Alpert, but as a theme to an entire Oasis event? I wasn’t sure that would fly too well. And while I did definitely have moments where I felt like I was waiting for a table at Casa de Reyes in Old Town San Diego, I ended up loving the theme. I agree with Tangaroa-Ru – it gives us a new way to have fun with Tiki. I know a lot of purists would argue, but there’s nothing wrong with keeping things fresh from year to year.

I can’t say enough about how great the bands were this year too. Jack Costanzo just rocked the house. To get that many people up and dancing that early in the night is a pretty big testament to how awesome he was. And I was stoked to see DJ Bonebreak in Orchestra Superstring. I was a fan of the Bonebreak Syncopators and it was great to see him play exotica. Big Sandy is always a great act and the Hula Girls sounded fantastic. Thanks to all the bands for putting on a great show.

And forgive me if someone already addressed this somewhere, but with all the back and forth about the validity of Burlesque I have yet to see anyone give the burlesque girls the major props they deserve for delivering one of the best Burlesque revues at Tiki Oasis. My wife and I were saying Sunday morning how much better the Burlesque has gotten over the past few years here and this year was definitely the topper. It takes a lot of guts and hard work for these girls to do what they do and personally I love that Otto and Baby Doe bring it to Tiki Oasis every year. Kudos to them for not giving in to the naysayers and pulling it from their lineup. Burlesque is an artform with a long history connected to it. At a lot of the rockabilly events that my wife and I go to, its given the proper spotlight it deserves and many times you have to wait an hour or more to get into the shows and often times girls will get standing ovations for great performances. I absolutely love the Tiki crowd for how accepting, open, easygoing and friendly you all are and I hate to see these girls compared to garden variety strip club strippers here on Tiki Central. Viva La Burlesque!

And last but not least, it is so great to see the car show get bigger every year. I love that we’re combining kustoms with an event like Tiki Oasis and I hope this just keeps growing (and that at some point I can fix up my truck to a point where I can be a participant in it)

Again, thanks so much to Otto and Baby Doe and all the volunteers and people whose hard work made this event possible. We’ll see all you guys there again next year!

T
TNT posted on Wed, Aug 24, 2011 9:51 AM

A big mahalo to Baby Doe (that skirt is terrific) & Otto, the volunteers and the hotel staff for putting this together. The food on the patio was a terrific addition, the veggie burger, much appreciated. The entertainment, car show, smiling, happy attendees made for a terrific weekend. The fact that our main gripes are a guy with a rooster and the little drummer boy, says alot for the way this event is run. That many people and no major disturbance? Wow!
Can't wait for next year.

CA

On 2011-08-24 08:40, klockwork wrote:
Man, Tiki Oasis just keeps getting better every year.

I have to admit, I was a little skeptical about the Tijuana theme when it was first announced. I definitely get the exotica tie in and I�m a fan of Sergio Mendes and Herb Alpert, but as a theme to an entire Oasis event? I wasn�t sure that would fly too well. And while I did definitely have moments where I felt like I was waiting for a table at Casa de Reyes in Old Town San Diego, I ended up loving the theme. I agree with Tangaroa-Ru � it gives us a new way to have fun with Tiki. I know a lot of purists would argue, but there�s nothing wrong with keeping things fresh from year to year.

it gives us a new way to have fun with Tiki.

Remember this is an 'old way' of having fun with tiki....
Tiki News(now Tiki Oasis), as i see it, was always an 'Exotica rooted' Zine and Otto got a bit caught up in the whole BOT thing for a while.... I'm Glad to see the 'Caribbean conga players, Voodoo Dancers, and Shrunken Heads" of the old Tiki News fliers Back! (taken from Exotica album art) and yes Tiki News had that 'Herb' night in San Fran back in the 90s.....

Learn it ! Know it! Live IT!

Jungle drums at 3AM!!!!!!

On 2011-08-24 08:33, Swanky wrote:

On 2011-08-23 14:01, Hakalugi wrote:

DammiT! 2 Hell!

It is definitely a Guanko. The other 2 I am thinking are both Mai Tiki. They are likely all the same era. Milan carved a lot right up intot he 80s. Wayne started in 1974.

So, for the record, did you buy them on your own, or did she sell them to you as Guankos? Just wondering if I should be kicking myself or not for spouting my knowledge before buying...

No need to kick yourself. I decided to buy them before the name Milan Guanko was ever brought up. The style alone and the price point is what sold me.

C

Big thanks to Otto and Baby Doe, and all the volunteers, for a terrific Tiki Oasis!

Thanks to everyone who came to our Ding Dong Devils room party up on the 8th floor Friday and Saturday nights--we had a blast playing and hope everyone had fun too! Thanks to Hell on Heels Burlesque Revue for performing as well both nights, and enormous appreciation to Montanya Rum and Michelle Baldwin for her tasty selection of cocktails at the party (and thanks to the Forbidden Island and Smugglers Cove room parties for their graciousness in lending us ingredients late Saturday night as the party rolled on!).

The only problem with doing room parties both nights (and spending most of them wearing an instrument) was having to miss the other room parties and bands going on simultaneously. There was so much fun to be had! There were so many highlights of the weekend, but seeing and hearing Jack Costanzo and his band was a high point for me! I got him to autograph my Bongo Fever/Garden of Allah LP, and afterward a man asked to see it and then showed it to a little girl and said "That's grampa." Looking at the picture of the 30-something man with black hair in the picture, she said "Uh uh...that's not grampa." A beautiful Tiki Oasis moment.

Caltiki Brent

I think those that are complaining about kids and burlesque should MYOB. I do agree starting the more "adult" entertainment after, say 9pm, is a good idea, so those who don't want their kids to see it can remove them. That's totally fair and reasonable. Or even move the burlesque to an inside room that is "adults only." But clearly it isn't illegal, it is done right there in the middle of the hotel grounds where all can see it, and some folks don't have an issue with celebrating the human body.

We had to stop attending TO, unfortunately, because it was just too much with a young child (mainly the drinking and obnoxious behavior that comes with it, and the excessive late-night noise). I advise anyone who is complaining because of their children to do the same and not spoil everyone else's fun. While some of it is kid-friendly, it is primarily an adult event.

~ Terra S.

IZ

If it's a choice between kids or burlesque, I'll take the burlesque every time. I don't think TO has to be any more "family friendly." Keep the burlesque on the main stage and not marginalized in a back room. (I would like to see other types of non-musical acts replace some of the burlesque for variety's sake, but that's a different matter altogether). And I like the idea of TO being 21+ after 9pm. If enforcement is too difficult make it a strongly worded recommendation.

As someone said above this is more about bacchanalia and less about Disney. I hope they keep it that way.

MT

On 2011-08-22 15:00, Big Vic wrote:
What about that fire alarm? To whoever pulled it: Thank you for the perfect excuse we needed to gracefully, and finally, send our room party guests into the night and out of our room.

On 2011-08-23 16:25, Luckydesigns wrote:
On Saturday night, there was a group of guys in their early 20s who were all blacked out drunk walking around the room parties... Non had a wristband or even looked to be into the tiki thing. I found out later that night that they had been pawing at my girlfriend and at other girls, making them feel super uncomfortable. Obviously it REALLY pissed me off... Maybe eventually the WHOLE hotel should be wristband entry only...

Around 3am, as I was loading out from our room party for Forbidden Island, I saw two of them detained by security and another one being held away from the other two. Seems like every year, there are a couple of yahoos who get in to the room party thing and cause trouble because they don't know how to hold their booze. That was the only shadow cast on Oasis for me this year (well, that and my voice going out on me for the Sunday performance)...

I believe that the fire alarm wasn't pulled as a prank, but in response to those young douche bag non wrist band party crashers, when Vixen got her leg cut from the shard of broken tiki mug during the ruckus by the glass elevators. Esperanza grabbed two of those guys, and pinned them on the ground, and hit the alarm with her elbow, all in one fluid motion! Eventually those guys wiggled free, only to be pinned down by more Oasis ohana. Funny, and kind of karmic justice, that all the douches got their asses kicked by a girl, and that's whats going to be written on their permanent records!!! :lol:

Lost In Paradise: Tiki Oasis 11 Friday

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPeLxXQBseI

Mahaloz and Cheers!

I always love visiting the Tiki Oasis. It has changed over the years, and this year, I got to see the room parties from a very sober view point. For me, the highlight was seeing Don Tiki. Frankly, I am surprised I haven't seen more written about this fantastic concert, especially given the importance of Don Tiki to Tiki in the present.

ok I know that Inspector Gadget was a 80's cartoon,
and not a cool 50s or 60's movie or TV show about spys.

But I think I may have found a good candidate for someone playing spy tunes.
http://www.dump.com/2011/07/18/inspector-gadget-tapping-on-a-guitar-video/

Jeff(btd)

My wife and I attended Tiki Oasis for the first time and LOVED it all! Already making plans for next year. I hear the theme will be spy/private eye... is this true?

S

i personally think that the entire show is rad! there is A LOT of burlesque but it is a part of the show! the whole reason my family ever started going to this event is because IT IS A FAMILY AFFAIR! my kid was right up on the stage for like 10 minutes and the rest of the time he was playing with friends and having fun. hes 5 and could give a rats ass about a girl on stage, but the music and entertainment entrigues everyone!! he was pulled up on stage and that was even part of the SHOW!!! too many rules makes tiki oasis just another squares paradise. i stay at the hotel, vend every year, play music for ,and not for the event, and the one thing thats always the same every year, is that anything goes!!! i HAVE NEVER BEEN IN AN ELEVATOR WITH A BAND ANYWHERE ELSE EVER!!! i have never been in someones hotel room WITH 50 PEOPLE DRINKING anywhere else!!! Now my kid does not do these things with me of course, but lets look at the magic that is available here, and not try to take it all away and make this another crappy expensive weekend!!! One more thing though, i ABSOLUTELY FIND NO PLACE AT OASIS FOR FIGHTING PERIOD!!! i have attended year after year and my one bragging point was i have never seen a problem with this many people drinking... So when i found out people did this i was pretty pissed off, and the stealing is also bullshit! we may need to kick oasis up a notch and have a beatdown room for the idiots who cant chill!!!!!! hahahaha! i think Baby Doe and Otto got it down at this point.
thanks
davewarshaw.com
http://urbantaxidermy.wordpress.com/

A
V<
http://www.davewarshaw.com

[ Edited by: sleestak 2011-08-25 08:58 ]

But I think I may have found a good candidate for someone playing spy tunes.
http://www.dump.com/2011/07/18/inspector-gadget-tapping-on-a-guitar-video/
Jeff(btd)

Very cool!

Funny, and kind of karmic justice, that all the douches got their asses kicked by a girl, and that's whats going to be written on their permanent records!!! :lol:

Ok, that makes the alarm trouble worth it! Thanks for the explanation.

I'm glad to hear that the fire alarm was set off while super-hero girls were kicking some drunken, uninvited, trouble-making butt. That rude 3 a.m. awakening is now worthwhile in my book. What I'm about to say is NOT COMPLAINING, as I love Tiki Oasis and all that Otto and Baby Doe do. However, every year, SOMEHOW a bunch of twenty-something idiot guys, without wristbands, always make their way onto the premises and crash our parties and cause trouble. I have had them show up at my room parties, and so have many others. They are usually identified by their lack of Tiki attire and general social retardation. (Note their wearing of baseball caps backwards, which should be banned after the age of twelve.) Is there anything we can do about this at future Oasis events? Either through more hired security and/or all of us refusing to serve them at our parties and asking them to leave? I can't imagine they'd be too thrilled if we showed up at one of their parties (you're right, we wouldn't, but I'm speaking hypothetically), drank their cocktails (if you consider Colt 45 a cocktail) and harassed their women (which I doubt they have). I think we all have to collectively make sure these guys are clearly told they are NOT WELCOME at next year's Tiki Oasis.

For the record,
The teens in the Elevator,
Fighting, foot getting cut was around
1 am. Right after the Los Sea Finks
Played in the Atrium.

The alarm going off was after 3 am.

How do I know this,?
Saw it happen. (Teens)
And was woke up by it,(alarm)
And looked at time on my phone.
And I was stone sober,
:-/

Jeff btd

RR

The alarm was pulled after the leg cut.

SK

I too had a great time this year. I especially appreciated how well organized and efficient the line for wrist bands was.

As far as the TJ theme goes, as long as the surf monkey wasn't overlooked and I was asked to buy chicklets at least 10 times, I'm all good with it.

As far as the burlesques goes, unless this was your first Mexican Zebra ride then you know the deal. It is a part of Tiki Oasis and should be no surprise. While everyone has their own opinion about kids obstructing the view (lucky boogers) I'll keep mine to myself. One thing that truly excites me about Tiki Oasis is that, I feel it is family friendly.

My highlight.
Lately is seems I get a chance at TO so see an act I'm a huge fan of but never thought I'd be able see live. Being originally form the Rt coast that is a pretty big list. Previously that was the Phantom Surfers. This year it was Los Straight Jackets w/ Big Sandy. Having seen them both play independently many times I just figured they didn't perform together.

I will never underestimate the power of Otto and Baby Doe.

To Otto, Baby Doe, room party hosts! and cool attendees
Muchas Gracias (that means thank you)
SK

P.S. at least that stinky dude didn't show up this year and start poegoing to Jack Costanzo.

I rarely come out of lurk mode, and I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but I gotta chime in with my 1/2 cent. This is the first of the 9 TO's I've attended where I didn't leave exhilarated. While I appreciate all the effort that goes into this, I'm beginning to think the event is getting too big for the hotel venue with all the downsides that carries with it. Attendees should not have to be woken up by a band playing loud as hell at 1am, nor again with a fire alarm, nor again with some drunk ass playing drums. Add to this the increasing costs of simply staying at that hotel for event and it is becoming something where the decision to automatically GO is no longer in the game plan. I overheard lots of people viewing Mojave and Caliente as a more manageable option for next year and I gotta say if it is going to cost me almost a grand to stay at the Hanalei I'll be thinking long and hard about my other Tiki event options. I also kinda feel that people's complaints aren't really being taken seriously, cuz there are far larger issues than somebody bringing a rooster to the event.
Sorry to be a downer, but I'm kinda bummed that TO ain't the glorious yearly event it used to be for me.

On 2011-08-25 12:17, Rob Roy wrote:

So Mai Tai's facts/events are inaccurate?
did he take pictures and post them on his Facebook page?

BV

On 2011-08-25 12:15, bigtikidude wrote:
For the record,
The teens in the Elevator,
Fighting, foot getting cut was around
1 am. Right after the Los Sea Finks
Played in the Atrium.

The alarm going off was after 3 am.

How do I know this,?
Saw it happen. (Teens)
And was woke up by it,(alarm)
And looked at time on my phone.
And I was stone sober,

:-/

Jeff btd

You are correct my friend. I was the devil door guy at Tiki Hell and I watched the fight from the door. It was early in the evening. Then at around 2:00 the cops made everyone lingering in the hall go into Tiki Hell and close the door. The alarm went off at 3:00 because it helped clear out the crowd still dancing in hell.
Big Vic

I'm just getting wind of the wildfire and I must say that I'm feeling pretty horrible to have caused so much anguish with my little baby boy chicken. He was just such a wonderful little guy and brought me so much joy, I felt I would share him with everyone. I seriously had no clue that my bringing him along would impede so badly on everyone elses happiness and sincerely apologize for this blunder. I don't know about everyone else, but this event is the single largest hilight of my life every year and causing discomfort to the ohana was never my intention. I don't know what else to say except that the consequences of my actions have probably resulted in losing my privileges to be part of this and I offer everyone my most sincere apologies.

B

On 2011-08-25 14:12, Billy the Crud wrote:
I'm just getting wind of the wildfire and I must say that I'm feeling pretty horrible to have caused so much anguish with my little baby boy chicken... I offer everyone my most sincere apologies.

The rooster was right below my window so I probably "suffered" as much as anyone. I am fully satisfied by your apology and hope you are accepted back. And hey, it fit in the theme.

I'm still blown away by the Musical Line-up at this year's event! Yes this was our first one, but we've been to other Tiki events, and the band line up at TO is just a notch above (probably two notches above) of anything else I've been too. I mean Jack Costanzo? That's just plain incredible. The guy played on a TON of Exotica and Latin Lounge LPs of the 50s, 60s, 70s. To see him live, and to talk to him at the exotica seminar was amazing. PLUS the DEBUT of Tiki Joe's Ocean. That's pretty damn impressive too! And then Marty's show that was fabulous! And that's just the tip of the iceberg (or maybe in this case I should say "it's just the rum float of the cocktail").

Hats off to Otto and Baby Doe for lining up such exciting and interesting acts.

Holy hell, I forgot about Don Tiki. We couldn't stay for that, but HELLO, that's another amazing feather in the cap. Does everyone realize how many times they've been rumored to play state-side and it hasn't happened. I think I correct in saying the event at Kahiki (which we were at) was the last time they were here. In any case, no other Tiki event can match the line-up this year (and some of them have pretty damn good line-ups too - I'm not knocking them, but just saying that TO really out does it)

[ Edited by: Kapu Kai in Hi-Fi 2011-08-25 15:28 ]

MT

On 2011-08-25 13:50, Chuck Tatum is Tiki wrote:

On 2011-08-25 12:17, Rob Roy wrote:

So Mai Tai's facts/events are inaccurate?
did he take pictures and post them on his Facebook page?

Well, that's the story that was relayed to my by Coco Loco, who was in the elevator when the party crashing douches forced their way onto the elevator, then spewed forth a rash of sexist, racial, and homophobic epithets before purposely knocking the mug out of someone's hand, where-in a shard of that mug cut Vixen's leg. She also witnessed Esperanza slamming those guys to the ground while simultaneously punching an alarm button in the elevator - all of which she had to stay and relate to the police. This was my first Oasis where I got a call on my cell phone "I can't meet you right now in the room party because I'm being detained by the police!" Whaaaa?

So I guess the alarm that was triggered in the elevator was a short lived one, and there was a bigger fire alarm pull later, or something like that. Maybe we can get the CSI crew to do an investigation? This looks like a case for Detective Hamilton!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 644 replies