Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Official Tiki Oasis 11 thread

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 644 replies

O
Otto posted on Thu, Jul 21, 2011 10:31 PM

On 2011-07-21 11:47, Dr.TikiMojo wrote:
For those who like everything in staggering distance are there going to be any sort of food trucks or food vendors on site?
Always wondered why there was no Luau food crew for those that don't want the on site restaurant or driving for food? :D

the hotel has added a patio BBQ. This year it will feature Mexican food. It was a hit last year and should be big this year too

O
Otto posted on Thu, Jul 21, 2011 10:34 PM

On 2011-07-21 17:51, Matt Reese wrote:
I like the food at the hotel. The sushi is great, and the place makes a good club sandwich.

Matt is correct. A (formerly) little known fact among the tiki crowd is that the sushi bar is an award-winning local hotspot for sushi.

Nothing beats poolside hamburger or quesadilla food service!!!

Average tastes so much better after a day of swimming in the sun

On 2011-07-21 22:28, Chuck Tatum is Tiki wrote:
Jeff, what is the breakfast place across the circle called?
we tried to eat there last year, but the place was closed for renovations.

The Waffle Spot?

the key is to go there early,
or wait until monday, after most have left.

Jeff(btd)

O
Otto posted on Thu, Jul 21, 2011 10:36 PM

On 2011-07-21 22:28, Chuck Tatum is Tiki wrote:
Jeff, what is the breakfast place across the circle called?
we tried to eat there last year, but the place was closed for renovations.

Either Ricky's or Waffle Spot at the Kings Inn
both are great

if you are in the hotel, nothing beats ordering room service the night before and having food show up when you want it!!
How yummy is that?

Thanks Jeff & Otto,
It was Ricky's, we were told at gunpoint that is was a good place.
Now the "Waffle Spot" that is a different story, we ate there last year and our whole group
thought it was pretty bad.

I must be totally stuck up, because the places you all like, I didn't, but to be fair the Sushi
at the Hotel is not bad at all.

I guess I have been hanging with Anthony Bourdain to much.

Chuck I have to admit that I am not a big fu fu food person.
And I like middle of the road American food.
and Gringo or Baja style mexican food.

Jeff(btd)

On 2011-07-21 22:52, bigtikidude wrote:
Chuck I have to admit that I am not a big fu fu food person.
And I like middle of the road American food.
and Gringo or Baja style mexican food.

Jeff(btd)

Now there is good mexican food in "Old Town" which is what? 2 miles away at the most.

Ironically I have never been to any of the Mex joints in Old Town.
have been to a few places over off the 5, and Washington,
and also a few inland near the 805 and El Cajon.
But for a good place.
I like to go to the Mexican food joint next to Trader Morts Liquor store
near Bali Hai.

Jeff(btd)

I

Tiki Oasis Volunteer available position of the day!
Well more than one really. Before you is the remaining spots available to apply for. Now it seems like a lot. But remember is only just a few more weeks until Tiki Oasis! These will go fast, So if you haven’t decided yet, now is the time to do it!

1. Job ID TODO72X Donation Organizer (Paid Position)
    make sure we have all donations and check-mark them off list. Bring items to locations as needed. MUST BE 21 YEARS OLD
    30 minutes pre-work, Wednesday afternoon (4 hours), Maybe 6-8 other hours over the course of the weekend.

2. Job ID TOBA75X Tiki Oasis Booth Assistant to Manager
    Help with set-up and break down of merchandise booth Friday-Sunday - about 1-2 hours per day (take about 30 minutes each time) - extra hour of work Sunday morning.

3. Job ID CPDK76X DJ set-up spinmiesters…
    Set-up and take down DJ stuff throughout the weekend
    Friday, Saturday, Sunday at various times.

4. Job ID CPSV82S Symposiums Volunteer
    Help with set-up and break down of rooms. Also checking wristbands/taking tickets at the door. You will get to meet lots of Tiki people doing this volunteer gig!
    Saturday: 9:45 - 2pm, upstairs 10:30-12, then help with dance class

5. Job ID CPGT66SU Crowne Plaza Greeting Table
    You will be checking names off the list and issuing wristbands. You must be an organized person.
    Sunday 4pm-10pm

6. Job ID CPGT67SU Crowne Plaza Greeting Table
    You will be checking names off the list and issuing wristbands. You must be an organized person.
    Sunday 4pm-10pm

7. Job ID CPGT54F Crowne Plaza Greeting Table
    Friday 1:00pm - 6:30pm

8. Job ID TOBV81SU Tiki Oasis Booth Volunteer
    Who’s minding the store? You are! These volunteers will be chosen by Tiki Oasis and should ideally know Baby Doe and Otto personally.
    Sunday 5pm-10:30pm

9. Job ID BHST70TH Bali Hai Selling Tickets
    Sitting in Bali Hai lobby charging $10 for entry or pointing them to check in table - have to talk to people!!
    Thursday 5pm-10pm

10. Job ID CPSV20S Symposium Volunteer
    Saturday 12:30-5:00, do Jeff symposium upstairs then help with set-up for Pin-Up class and breakdown (bring donations left over to Tiki Oasis staff)
    Saturday 12:30-5:00

11. Job ID CPSV82S Symposium Volunteer
    help with set-up and break down of rooms. Also checking wristbands/taking tickets at the door. You will get to meet lots of Tiki people doing this volunteer gig!
    Saturday: 9:45 - 2pm, upstairs 10:30-12, then help with dance class

12. Job ID CPSV83SU Symposium Volunteer
    Charles Phoenix and Bosko Symposiums. You will be checking names off the list and issuing wristbands. You must be an organized person.
    Sunday: 10:15 am - 2pm

13. Job ID CPSV84SU Symposium Volunteer
    Charles Phoenix and Bosko Symposiums. You will be checking names off the list and issuing wristbands. You must be an organized person.
    Sunday: 10:15 am - 2pm

14. Job ID CPPU40E Event/Pin Up Helper 1
    We need help with the pin-up shoot organization Friday 4pm - 5:30pm and Saturday 3-5:00pm. Our concierge will get everyone's name and contact at the event AND share this with the organizers AT the event!

To grab one of these spots shot us an email at [email protected]. Tell us about yourself, why you deserve the spot you have selected and we'll go from there. Remember, you get a free ticket to Tiki Oasis! For the Weekend!

ikabod!

[ Edited by: IKABOD 2011-07-22 10:25 ]

Thanks everyone who chimed in....I've been to enough Oasis's to have tried the various food options, (personally not thrilled but I don't go to Tiki Oasis for the food). I had just wondered if there was a reason with as large a crowd as Oasis draws that there were never any onsite food vendors to provide something a little more Tiki?

**Pulled Pork, BBQ Chicken, Hawaiian style hot dogs with Spicy Hawaiian Pickle Relish, Sweet Maui Onion Relish, Mango Mustard, Lilikoi mustard, Guava Mustard, Shave Ice ** :o

Doesn't that sound yummy?

If there's an interest and it is allowed by the hotel that's what I'd like to offer next year.

Dr.TM, I think it is a great idea, but I think the Hotel does not want the competition
to their own restaurants & why Otto can't reply (conflict of interest, maybe?)

For anyone who has waited in line or for food once you have been seated knows, it gets a bit crazy at the Hotel.
(Never mind my criticism of the food)

But the restaurants do have regular hours and it sure would be nice if there was a couple
of "Food Trucks" after hours, Otto what do you think?

Mahalo Chuck TiT!

Under normal hotel operating conditions I'd agree but when Otto buys out the ENTIRE hotel in advance, the entire hotel is ONLY Tiki Oasis guests, and he pre-sells half of another hotel I think that if the convention had a on site Luau or wanted caterers we could. Just guessing really.

Other than that if there were a demand I'm sure a truck could park on the street or near by without even asking the hotel. Currently I'm just curious if there is a demand for other on site food choices or something more to the theme of the event. If the desire is there I'm sure it would be possible to make it happen.

Mahalo for the feedback.

:drink:

On 2011-07-22 11:21, Chuck Tatum is Tiki wrote:
But the restaurants do have regular hours and it sure would be nice if there was a couple
of "Food Trucks" after hours, Otto what do you think?

About that....if it were MY food truck I wouldn't drive down there just to pick up the late night scraps after the restaurants get the lion's share.
There will always be plenty of guests eating at the restaurant or people that prefer the sit down meal.

I believe I can provide something that the restaurants don't and better choices of food specifically planned for the Tiki crowd. The hours I'd keep would depend on how long we were still making money serving there....if it's 8 PM and there are only 3 people in line we'd likely be done for the night.

Looking forward to getting a real Conga line going this year...

http://youtu.be/kOBW6m6Efes

BV

HaHaHa! I love the doggie Cha,cha. I have a feeling that there will be many many conga lines through out the weekend! Last year I had one in our room party. Fun stuff. So, the world record for longest conga line was established in Miami, March 13 1988. 119,986 people! There will be an attempt to break that record next April. Could Tiki Oasis even come close? We can always try. Then celebrate our attempt with conga drinks! :wink:

J

I have many new Tommy Bahama items (camp shirts, slacks, sunglasses) available at cost to anyone going to Tiki Oasis 2011. I had to close my clothing store but, if I can sell enough, I can go to Tiki Oasis this year and drink my stress away. Mahalo.

so excited about this!!!
It needs to happen now!!!!!!!

B

Tiki Oasis would like to congratulate our winners in the First Ever Tiki Oasis Pin-Up Photo Contest!

Tiki Oasis Whipped Cream Girl and First Place Winner*: Queen Pirate
2nd Place Winner: Lulu!
3rd Place Winner: Dottie Lux

The winner will be covered with whipped cream before a live audience in a recreation of Herb Albert’s Whipped Cream & Other Delights album cover. Come see this exciting event at the Tiki Oasis Art Gallery Saturday August 20th, 11:00 am - 12:00 Noon at the Crowne Plaza San Diego hotel.

~ Thanks to everyone who submitted a photo and voted ~

• if winner is unable to attend event, runner-up will be named the successor
B

AT TIKI OASIS THIS YEAR

Burros, Black Velvets and Other Delights
curated by Baby Doe and Reesenik
proceeds to benefit WiLDCOAST
Gallery open Friday-Sunday 11am-4pm
ARTIST RECEPTION SAT AUG 20th 1pm at the Tiki Oasis Art Gallery

** Special thanks to Elroy Art for managing our art show this year!

Check out photos here:
https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=226337460728100

Inspired by toreadors and jai alai, tequila and Tijuana, street tacos and warm summer nights on sandy beaches – "Burros, Black Velvets, & Other Delights" conjures up memories of brief visits to Tijuana when Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass were king and cheap tequila was the fuel that kept the fire alive. Curated by Baby Doe and Reesenik artist were asked to either submit an original black velvet painting or randomly be sent a Tijuana style Burro or Piggy Bank.

All proceeds from "Burros, Black Velvets, & Other Delights" benefit WiLDCOAST (www.wildcoast.net). WiLDCOAST was founded in 2000 to protect and conserve some of the most ecologically important coastal wildlands, lagoons, and marine ecosystems that remain in California and throughout Baja California, and has also successfully conserved more than 1.8 million acres of coastal wildlands and wildlife habitats. Within San Diego, WiLDCOAST works with local communities to protect and restore our beaches and open spaces through hands-on restoration projects, cleanups, environmental education and community involvement.

Tiki Oasis is proud to be featuring the top Tiki Artists paying homage to Tijuana's past. Artist include....
Atomikitty
Babalu
BigToe
Bowana
Cass McClure (aka junkhauler)
Crazy Al Evans
Danny Gallardo
Dave Lozeau
Dave Warshaw
Dawn Frasier Sophista-tiki
Derek Yaniger
Doug DoOr
Doug Horne
Eric October
Erin Joy
Jason Rodgers
Jason Sallin
Jennifer Kenworth “Juanita”
John Mulder
Joshua Ellingson
Ken Ruzic/Little Lost Tiki
Maya Rodgers
Michael Fleming (aka Tweedlebop)
MP
Pizz
Reesenik
Thor
Tiki King
Tiki Tony
Wendy Cevola

T
TNT posted on Sat, Jul 23, 2011 7:31 AM

On 2011-07-22 19:31, FilthyMidget wrote:
so excited about this!!!
It needs to happen now!!!!!!!

I agree - bring it on, conga line and all.

teresa

J

On 2011-07-17 10:27, crazy al wrote:
calling all Burlesque Dancers... and extras!!
WHO IS REENACTING THIS SCENE!!!???
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxEjXQLqxfU

and where is Otto going to find 100 Riffles!!!!

ha ummm the stage could be a little crowded... gun world????

O
Otto posted on Sat, Jul 23, 2011 10:31 AM

On 2011-07-22 11:08, Dr.TikiMojo wrote:
Thanks everyone who chimed in....I've been to enough Oasis's to have tried the various food options, (personally not thrilled but I don't go to Tiki Oasis for the food). I had just wondered if there was a reason with as large a crowd as Oasis draws that there were never any onsite food vendors to provide something a little more Tiki?

**Pulled Pork, BBQ Chicken, Hawaiian style hot dogs with Spicy Hawaiian Pickle Relish, Sweet Maui Onion Relish, Mango Mustard, Lilikoi mustard, Guava Mustard, Shave Ice ** :o

If there's an interest and it is allowed by the hotel that's what I'd like to offer next year.

Actually the hotel has a contract on all food. It would be like bringing your own food into a restaurant or into a theme park or concert (like Coachella)

This year the Crowne Plaza is offering some Mexican food specialties. Last year They had burgers on the patio, the year before that they set up a large BBQ on the lawn but we had to get rid of that because there was not enough space for the audience and the BBQ. So the hotel does expand it's offerings for our weekend and they will continue to do so.

T

The side BBQ last year was great, because it was fast. Enough about food, let's talk alcohol. Just wanted to let all you out of towners know that BevMo opened a new location this year at 3210 Rosecrans, which is half way between the hotel and the Bali Hai. Its just a big block past Midway.

^ Extremely important information to know, thank you!

BS

theres a great mexican plac ein Old Town that my family has been going to for years, La Pinata. and theres also an awesome diner we've been going to forever up the street on El Cajon Blvd, Rudfords.

but, i also have a question. i skimmed through and didnt really see anything. what are the rules with having bands play your room? do you need a big suite? im assuming theres a cut off time for when bands have to be done by? what's the 411? thanks, Sergio

I

Dont forget L&L BBQ (yeah I know its not Mexican) been a traditional stop since TO was in the San Diego! We all know about my recommended food option at Ricky's...... The on property food options are limited to be sure but I have to say I enjoyed the Burger Burn they did last year. Looking forward to this years food selection both on and off property. Also, hint..... AAA is right around the corner from the Crowne Plaza and Motel 6. Lots of info there for all of your dinning and driving needs. Damn, I gotta renew my membership this year too....

On 2011-07-23 10:31, Otto wrote:

Actually the hotel has a contract on all food. It would be like bringing your own food into a restaurant or into a theme park or concert (like Coachella)

This year the Crowne Plaza is offering some Mexican food specialties. Last year They had burgers on the patio, the year before that they set up a large BBQ on the lawn but we had to get rid of that because there was not enough space for the audience and the BBQ. So the hotel does expand it's offerings for our weekend and they will continue to do so.

Mahalo Otto!

I still doubt that extends to the street if a food truck were present?
Also, they wouldn't allow outside food and yet they allow everyone to bring in as much alcohol as they can carry?
Every concert I've been to has food vendors that pay the location to be there.
Not trying to start trouble if you're not interested....just thought it would be something that the majority of Oasis attendees would like to have and wondered why there wasn't ever food vendors. :D

Cheers! :drink:

PS The hotel also allows outside DELIVERY food so I don't know how there contract as the only food service works?

M

Countdown is ON! can't wait until we're all enjoying the sun, drinkin' the rum and getting down with our bad selves.

Sadly my friend can no longer join the party, she's got one VIP ticket for sale (they're sold out). If you're interested or know someone that is, please shoot me a private message and I'll get you in touch.

Mahalo and see you soon!

I

2 more shift for Tiki Oasis has been added, and these are a good one to!

Two more symposium volunteer position have been added! Someone’s gotta help with tequila symposium! Could it be you?
Symposiums Volunteers /The Agave Seminar
includes helping to set-up and assistance during the event
Friday August 19th 1:30pm -5:30pm
Apply today at: [email protected]
Job id # SVAS101F OR SVAS102F

Dont forget to check out the remaining shift available. Heres your chance for getting into Tiki Oasis for freeeeeeeeee!

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgN4PhhltK0WdG5kZVlzc3VLazlHTVJiOVFIMUZaRmc&hl=en_US

On 2011-07-23 10:31, Otto wrote:

(Old lady voice):
Why in MY day, we had only ONE place to eat at Tiki Oasis in Palm Springs: the mexican restaurant at the front of the motel! AND you had to wait an hour for your food! (Just try eating cold carnitas for breakfast!) You young whippersnappers don't realize how lucky you are with your sushi until 1:00 am and your restaurant and your patio BBQ! Not to mention Albie's Beef Inn just across the street! :D

J

OK, I just want to point out that Lucas Vigor and I were yakkin' about this whole Tiki "South of the Border" connection BEFORE the 2011 Oasis theme was even announced….

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=36120&forum=11

Not that I want to steal Otto's thunder for 2012, I acknowledge that we wouldn't even have a Tiki Revival if it weren't for him and the Bigbro….

But if Oasis does go "Chin Tiki", that's Chinese restaurant Tiki-style, you heard it here first. :)

And for those of you doubting that great idea, check this out…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wv0yh-Wngmc

And how about all that "Oriental" Exotica that the Big 3 put out ???

:D :D :D

H

On 2011-07-27 18:46, JOHN-O wrote:
But if Oasis does go "Chin Tiki", that's Chinese restaurant Tiki-style, you heard it here first. :)

But I didn't hear it here first. I heard it almost two weeks ago over here:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=40615&forum=17&vpost=597871

will the " Tijuana Surf Monkey" be represented at TiKi Oasis South of the Border?

P

Just booked everything. Rooms are available at Crowne Plaza. I had to call them and have them email me the link for the Passkey site for Oasis. Coming in on the 17th and leaving on the 22nd.

First time in California. Should be a good time.

TM

OK, I just want to point out that Lucas Vigor and I were yakkin' about this whole Tiki "South of the Border" connection BEFORE the 2011 Oasis theme was even announced….

Not that I want to steal Otto's thunder for 2012, I acknowledge that we wouldn't even have a Tiki Revival if it weren't for him and the Bigbro….

That's true, John-o! And we never got the credit for it! :)

J

On 2011-07-28 17:56, lucas vigor wrote:

That's true, John-o! And we never got the credit for it! :)

I'm just glad the idea came to fruition.

BUT if Otto does use "Chin Tiki" for the theme next year, I am gonna ask for free tickets. :D

O
Otto posted on Fri, Jul 29, 2011 5:23 PM

By the big three you mean
Marty, Arty, and Les, right?

Hey I thought it was my South of the Boarder Bastard that inspired the theme! Wendy

J

On 2011-07-29 17:23, Otto wrote:
By the big three you mean
Marty, Arty, and Les, right?

Yup. :)

TM
HT

HB TIKI is ready for TIKI OASIS 11, I have silk screened a T-shirt inspired by my friend John-O and have a hand carved Tiki Pendent out of exotic wood by my friend Hot Tiki. 18 days to go.

J

Looks great Roger !! I think you're going to get me in trouble with the Bigbro though. I was just joking with the term "Chin Tiki". That's actually the name of a defunct Tiki palace in Detroit opened by a family by the name "Chin". It was 100% genuiune Tiki-style with no Chinese restaurant devolution iconography.

Can you change the name to "Chink-Tiki" ?? :D

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2011-07-31 13:20 ]

J

Also the image from that 2nd shirt is from another defunct place in Washington DC called "Junkanoo". Sabu recognized it. I think it's supposed to be an African witch doctor. Where and when did the Asian lettering get added ??

You are the master T-shirt maker !! I hope Otto and/or the Chin family don't sue you. :)

[ Edited by: JOHN-O 2011-07-31 13:22 ]

On 2011-07-31 09:57, JOHN-O wrote:
Also the image from that 2nd shirt is from another defunct place in Washington DC called "Junkanoo". Sabu recognized it. I think it's supposed to be an African witch doctor. Where and when did the Asian lettering get added ??

John-O,

Junkanoo is a carnival from the Bahamas, not African.

I have to say I liked the white El Tiki shirt better than the black version. Cool stuff from HB Tiki.

DC

A quarter page write-up on TO-XI showed up in Pacific Magazine here in San Diego. Marina the Fire-Eating Mermaid has the biggest picture, Jesse del Quadro gets a pic as well.
Marina gets the first pic on the web article and the Phantom Surfers get the big pic at the bottom.
http://www.pacificsandiego.com/2011/07/28/fired-up/

"By Monica Garske

Classic hot rods, mai-tais and burlesque babes—it’s the stuff retro dreams are made of, and key components of San Diego’s 11th annual Tiki Oasis.

The summer soiree, to be held at the Crowne Plaza Hotel August 19 to 21 (with a preview party August 18 at the Bali Hai restaurant) takes Hawaiian-shirted attendees back to the 1950s and ’60s, when tropical cocktails flowed, and exotica music and come-hither pin-up girls set the scene.

The weekend of live music includes rockabilly and rock en español from Big Sandy with Los Straightjackets. And for a tiki tee-hee, check out the comedic flamenco of Marty Lush and His Latin Livers.

This year’s theme is a toast to Latin music, which permeated pop culture in the 1960s, introducing Americans to everything from the Cha Cha and Latin Jazz to Herb Alpert and his Tijuana Brass.  

A bevy of burlesque beauties will gyrate poolside, while a classic car show featuring 25 hot-rods heats up the hotel parking lot. There will also be ukulele jam sessions, live tiki carvings and a samba dance class.

Event founder Otto von Stroheim says the event’s seminars include an “educational” tequila tasting and lessons in mixing—and consuming—rum cocktails.

“It’s the ultimate gathering of the tiki community,” he says."

E

[ Edited by: ESP182 2011-08-03 09:58 ]

Our lawn flamingos are very busy trying on their mini sombreros and testing the drinks for our Flock of Flamingos room party. (The Flock of Seagulls were booked). Two chances to stop by and visit the Zen Tiki Lounge. Saturday at 5pm and again for the after party at 1030 till the booze runs out. The first party is for registered crawlers only. After party for all guests. Mahalo and see you South of the Border.
http://www.zentikilounge.com

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 644 replies