Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Hewey's wood thread - Making a Paipo p20

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 304 replies

H
hewey posted on Sun, Jan 29, 2006 1:22 PM

Thnaks people! The little guy is about 11 inches tall. The next one is already half planned - a 2.5 footer cocos palm in Aarons Akua style, just a head. A lot of work in that one! But not till after I get back from the South Pacific..

Cool tiki Hewey!

Hope your trip gives you lots of insperation too create more great art work. The paint on the club looks great.

H
hmc posted on Mon, Jan 30, 2006 2:01 AM

Awesome job hewey! Those photos make more sense to me than your scanner ones too :D

Very nice job indeed.

J

He turned out nice, I'm glad you posted a front view, that we are so familiar with and then the side views. He is a lot thicker than what I assumed, nice to see the third dimension.
JP

K
kirby posted on Thu, Feb 2, 2006 10:20 PM

boing.....

H
harro posted on Fri, Feb 3, 2006 5:53 AM

hewey this looks cool, good to see the depth with the decent shots, what's next?

H
hewey posted on Sun, Feb 19, 2006 3:54 AM

Next is a big tiki! 2.5 footer, could be very cool.

I'm all amped for some tiki creating. Ive been floating around the South Pacific for 2 weeks and seen all kinds of cool tiki stuff and havent even been able to get some tiki sketching down. They had art supplies, but only for a couple of hours on the boat. This was on the days we were on shore, which was just really frustrating. My only creative outlet was photography. Yeh, I got some cool shots. Look out for em one day when I get my crap together and post em.

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Feb 19, 2006 7:50 AM

Welcome back Hewey! I can't wait to see your pics of the islands. Also, get chopping on that new tiki. What wood are you using and what island style are you shooting for?

-Gman

F

Hey Hewey, neat stuff! I really like the ornamentation on the war club. I'm looking forward to seeing your next creations, infused with all the island inspiration you've soaked up.

H
hmc posted on Sun, Feb 19, 2006 12:41 PM

Yeah, welcome back! So you were on a ship most of the time? Look forward to seeing your photos too.

H
hewey posted on Tue, Mar 14, 2006 5:48 PM

here's a tease mockup :)

Might take a while (apologies to tikiwahine and Kirby)

G
GMAN posted on Tue, Mar 14, 2006 5:59 PM

:wink:

nice piece kirby!

H

I am confused????

H
hewey posted on Tue, Mar 14, 2006 9:20 PM

I think tikiwahine is the confused one (but Im sure kirbys piece was nice) :)

J
john posted on Tue, Mar 14, 2006 10:46 PM

lookin good hewey, you need to keep that in the back of the kahoona to ward off carjackers :)

Cool stuff as always, hewey. "I bet it'll split a hair..." (That's a "Deliverance" joke from the Tennessee carving thread!)...

H
hewey posted on Sun, Nov 19, 2006 2:24 PM

Very slowly settling into new digs (moved 3 weeks ago), just a rental.

Ive got a tin garden shed, but that’s just storing crap for now. Currently best place to carve is under the back verandah. This will eventually become my tiki lounge area… Dreaded fleuro, nemesis of atmosphere be damned! Going to make a tiki lamp cover for it to de-white the light a little.

These guys got settled in pretty quick :)

Current workbench

This thing is made of modelling foam. Might bondo it up and paint it pretty…

Another AAC guy awaiting some chops… currently he’s doing a good job holding up my transformer for my fairy lights.

The sharks tooth club wood was crap, and has been postponed until I find a better piece of wood…

J

Alright. Hewey is back to carving. Cool new digs. It will be fun to see the tiki transformation over time.

Thanks for sharing.

JP

H
hewey posted on Mon, Nov 20, 2006 4:05 PM

Thanks JP. Ill post more pics when I take em

Zaya and I were wondering what you've been up to. Great start!! First you move; Now you move IN!
There's no place like home....
Keep us posted(like I had to say that}

Buzzy

H
hewey posted on Wed, Nov 22, 2006 5:47 PM

This is what happens when stress at work builds up, its bloody hot and the air conditioner in the rental house you have just moved into doesnt work, so you're going a little loopy, and youve just bought a new fridge... :D

Heweys tiki bar is open!

land ahoy!

broooom broooomm!!!! Screeeecch Broooom!!!!

cowboys and Indians

I just took this when she wasnt looking, I dont know what she was thinking...

Back to our regular tiki programming shortly :)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

What is that strange "Pepsi Max" product? We don't have that here.
Buzzy

H
hewey posted on Wed, Nov 22, 2006 5:59 PM

On 2006-11-22 17:55, Bay Park Buzzy wrote:
What is that strange "Pepsi Max" product? We don't have that here.
Buzzy

Its like a bastard mutant of diet Pepsi - its got no sugar, but like 3 times the artificial sugar in its place... weird stuff, my girl loves it. Cant stand it myself

You guys are having too much fun over there...
Now get to work, "Speedy"

Safety First: Where's the roll bar?

G
GMAN posted on Wed, Nov 22, 2006 6:13 PM

Which leads me to my next point folks.....don't smoke crack!

Z
Zaya posted on Wed, Nov 22, 2006 6:31 PM

You guys are hilarious!!! I think I'd probably be drinking Pepsi Max myself if I lived in Australia. It's not that us girls love the taste, it's that we're always trying watch our lovely figures! :) My choice here in the U.S. is Diet Wild Cherry Pepsi. Keep having so much fun, and keep us posted!

Ahh, its the simple things in life, eh?

Try telling the kids of today to make do with a bottle of Bundaburg & a cardboard box! :lol:

Only one question: Wheres the customisin'? Pinstripin?

Tama :)

H
hewey posted on Thu, Nov 23, 2006 5:34 PM

The guys on the Aussie hot rod forums have christened it the "box rod", hopefully Ill be doing some shirts with the design... No tiki progress, hopefully get some done this weekend. Also need to get my pinstriping happening again too...

H
hewey posted on Thu, Nov 30, 2006 2:27 PM

Rumour has it Im workin on a tiki skull with full tatts at the moment... shhhhhh! :)

You guys need some frozen drinks to cool you down! Try to channel all that imagination into your next carving! I think Gman's gettin' jelous of your boxcar derby goin on there.
Nice new place!

Man, I gotta get me a box. Good luck with the new crib, Hewey.

H
hewey posted on Fri, Dec 8, 2006 3:21 PM

Back to our regular program... TIKI! :)

Carved ouf of AAC, sealed with a white stone finish acrylic, then painted the black in acrylic, the tatts in red oxide acrylic. Still have to finish the tatts on the back yet... The whole process involved NO marking out at all. Just carved and painted and let the soul the concrete take me where it led... Uh... does concrete have a soul? Maybe it was just the rum... :)

Kustom Kahoona* - Tiki and Hot Rod Art by Hewey*

[ Edited by: hewey 2006-12-08 15:24 ]

That is a damn interesting approach Hewey. Very cool!

B

Hewey, definitely cool, and I'm with Raffer. You better watch driving like that, you're gonna get a ticket!

that looks so kool hewey do it again

H
hewey posted on Sun, Dec 10, 2006 2:11 PM

Thanks folks.

I might tatt the moei twins I carved a while ago... Maybe a Larry Watson style scallop job eh? :)

C

Aloha Hewey! Nice skull! Congrats!

H
hewey posted on Tue, Dec 26, 2006 2:33 PM

Heres the latest tiki, carved out of AAC (hebel) again - the same piece as my tiki skull. Pumped it out in record time for a secret santa gift for my girls uncle. Painted in stone texture paint, then overlayed that with the grey acrylic. With more time I would have experimented more with getting a more accurate stone look with multiple colours songed on. And Pepsi Max can for size reference and to teaze Zaya :)

Hewey: That's a good one mate! It's very balanced and very clean looking. I like that finish. I just got a piece of aac too:

Zaya's pepsi for reference.

Congrats on that piece! Did it hurt to see it go?

Buzzy

Very cool Hewey, he looks happy. :) What the heck is Pepsi Max?

Z
Zaya posted on Tue, Dec 26, 2006 5:24 PM

Hey Hewey, nice work! This guy is really cool. It's nice that you're keeping him in the family. At least you can visit him every once in a while! All this talk about Pepsi is making me thirsty! :)

H
hewey posted on Tue, Dec 26, 2006 6:41 PM

Thanks folks. Finky, refer to the previous pages posts about strange Pepsi Max product.

Wasnt bad to see this one go, only finished it christmas eve so I didnt have time to get attached. I wasnt happy with the curvey head and straight/blocky body, but I was hesitant to cut into too much and weaken it (given Iv had an AAC carving fall over and split). He was well received anyway, so thats good :)

H
hewey posted on Thu, Feb 1, 2007 6:42 PM

Well, the praying tiki has a good home. Dana's uncle decided he was too good to go outside near the pool so he was going undercover by the front door. It was immediately realised that this may nor be very secure, so he is actually residing in the entrance way just inside the front door.

Last night spent a few hours on my 2 foot palm log. The pirate tiki cometh!

On 2007-02-01 18:42, hewey wrote:
The pirate tiki cometh!

No pictures? Frickin' tease!

Buzzy Out!

H
hewey posted on Sat, Feb 3, 2007 2:57 PM

Here ya go Buzzy, sheesh... :)

About 5 minutes work with a chainsaw... Pity I was working with a flat chisel. Mouth will do deeper, going to retrofit some teeth, including a metallic gold one. The top of the head will be rounded off, he'll be given some hair, cloth bandanna with some pirate symbols, wounds, eye patch, inside of the mouth will be red to highlight the candles that will be in his mouth... Cocos Palm, used to stand in my folks backyard.

Kustom Kahoona

[ Edited by: hewey 2007-02-03 14:59 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 304 replies