Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Hewey's wood thread - Making a Paipo p20

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 304 replies

All I gotta say ... is that's a stylin dog house!
Cool kayak! I'm an instructor over here in these parts...c'mon paddlin with me!
Carve yourself a greenland paddle too! Here's one I did a while ago...it's considered oceanic arts right?

S

Nice work on the gold guy. I love the dog house it looks like
dog mansion with the statues out front.

The kayak on the bug looks like allot of fun particularly
where you live at.

H
hewey posted on Thu, Dec 20, 2007 6:34 PM

Here's some more pics of the gold tiki, with the other moai twin. Gives you a much better idea of the texture and colour compared to a natural hebel carving.

Surfintiki - Thanks mate :D Now we have a 2nd dog, Im looking at whether I need a bigger house for them or not. If we keep this one, it'll get a canoe prow with a glass float, and a thatch roof :D If I'm ever your way I'll come for a paddle!

Seeksurf - Thanks too :D The dog house isn't too big, but the 2 guys out the front set it off nicely. But seeing as the gold moai will be a christmas present, I'll have to make some more guardians for it :D There is some very nice paddling around Sydney. Im about 5 minutes from this section of the Nepean River

Which if you follow it up a few kms looks like this:

H
hewey posted on Fri, Dec 21, 2007 2:49 AM

Another update, the other moai is getting the matching treatment too. Here it is with the first coat of gold. It'll get a couple of more heavy coats of gold (to smooth out the finish a little, get rid of the air bubbles), and then it'll get the black wash over the top.

H
hewey posted on Sat, Dec 22, 2007 4:59 PM

The second gold moai is done. Now which one was which... :lol:

Also, I've just arranged with a mate to swap him a tiki shifter for one of his pinstriped panels. I'll most likely do a tang, and it will go in his gasser drag car (which he built and painted himself)

There is "good" bad taste, and there is "bad" bad taste, and the difference of the two is in the eye of the beholder - Sven Kirsten

[ Edited by: hewey 2007-12-22 18:14 ]

B

Cool Moais here Hewey, I Love the gold finish, Very unique!

S

Nice work hewey, are those moais eating the Pedigree
food also?

H
hewey posted on Thu, Apr 24, 2008 9:44 PM

Well, Ive sinced moved house and havent touched a carving or a painting since... :roll: I cant even get pics of my new work area because my girlfreind is interstate with the camera... You wouldnt beleive it, a lowbrow gallery is having a tiki/surf kinda themed exhibition - opens in a weeks time, but they'e just finished the set up for it. Sooo too late to get onto that :( And its interstate, so I cant even go for a look... :( :( :( Right now the priority is unpacking crap, fixing old cars and all that kinda stuff... Hope to carve again one day... :lol:

H
hewey posted on Fri, Apr 25, 2008 2:28 AM

Well I got around to working out how to transfer pics from my phone to my computer, so here’s a few pics of my workspace :D

This shed will be mainly for painting and carving (plus general storage area too). Its one of those sheds which appears to be made out of scraps, so there’s all kinds of things used in its construction.

An overall shot from the yard. Has a nice little awning out the front which is also a perfect spot for the BBQ :D As you can see, there is still crap everywhere from the move.

Looking in the door

Inside the shed

Still working out where to put my poster :D :D :D

As well as the shed, Ive got the garage,which is for mechanical work and anything that requires use of things spanners, vice or a bench grinder :D

Rear window of the wagon. TCer stickers include 'boo ben, Tiki shark, Stufforama, Buzzy, Marcus, as well as the Shag and Von Franco stickers

Kia ora Hewey - Dontcha just hate moving? In fact the only thing worse is not having a workshop, but you seem to have that covered (just in time for 'workshop month'..). Considering these are night-shots the lighting seems pretty good. Is it a stupid question to ask whether or not the Tiki-wagon will live in the garage? You guys dont get a lot of rain, surely it wouldnt mind making way for Tiki-dust?

Where to put your poster? You could put her on the ceiling - and install a mirrored floor?? :o

T :wink:

H
hewey posted on Mon, Apr 28, 2008 9:28 PM

Hey Tama. Yeh, moving is a right royal pain! :( The lighting is pretty sweet - a double fleuro inside the shed, and a double fleuro under the awning where the BBQ is. I've also got a kero heater, so working through winter will be sweet, just leave the door open a little to let some air in :lol: The wagon will live in the garage, but I'll move it out if I ever want to work in there. Its more for security reasons than keeping it clean. I dont really want to get all my car stuff (tools, parts etc) covered in sawdust, so the shed will be used for all that kind of stuff. Looking forward to getting some time to play in there!

That all looks pretty cool Hewey! Nice spread! Looks like you already got that Tikicarver lawn thing going too.
Now that you can't use that "All my stuff is packed up and I'm moving" excuse anymore, let the chips fly and make the cars go VROOOOOOOM!

Buzzy Out!

B

Ditto those guys, Ceiling was my thought and No more excuses... Right on guys.
Looks like you will have a sweet setup with this shop and shed, Lucky devil now Make us some tikis, join the swaps, let the chips fly, get to work . Second thought about the poster, hang it in the closet where you won't be staring at her all day creating More excuses. :lol:

Sweet, Hewey! LOTS of room for tiki action. You can use the bikes to get from one area to the next...don't run over the girl, or dogs though! I like all those stickers on the car, that would be a fun thing to make up...where's yours Hewey?

S

Nice looks very homey.

H
hewey posted on Tue, Apr 29, 2008 9:06 PM

Dr Buzzy - The lawns been mowed since then, its all respectable like :D First priority is making the cars go vroooom! Currently the bug is out of action, so we own 4 cars, and only my girlfreind's hatchback is driveable.

Sir Ben - Yeh, its a sweet set up. Definitely better than working under a leaking verandah and getting in trouble for using the good glass outdoor table as a workbench! :lol:

Master Surfin - Bikes? Did I mention my cruiser isnt going either? Need to make up a custom bracket to hook up the cabling for the 7 speed hub. See above comment about making cars go vroooom as being the priority :lol: The stickers are cool, going for an old surf wagon inspired look

Although it is kinda scary to start adding up how much $$$ there will be in stickers on the windows, when most are $5-$7 each, and both side rear windows will be covered eventually! I dont have a sticker, but I'll get "Kustom Kahoona" signage for the back window down the track. Currently looking at options for a vintage wood slat roofrack for it too, should be cool. Would love to make a massive polystyrene tiki then fibreglass it, to carry on the roofrack! :lol:

Captain Seeksurf - homey it is, looking forward to making it a little cooler too, with some tiki and vintage car paraphenelia :D

H
harro posted on Wed, Apr 30, 2008 6:09 AM

plenty of room for some tiki action in there hewey.. we wont rest bugging you until you until you show us some new stuff!!

H

Well, its sure been a while... :roll:

First up, we've got another family member, Daisey (to the right). She was picked up from the shelter, but is fitting in quite nicely :D

The latest tiki. This is Cocos Palm (again), and thats a BIG mouth on it. I'd like to say Ive got something really cool planned for the mouth, but at this stage, I have no idea what Im doing! Also note the prerequisite International Size Reference and Bailey dog making sure it's standardised.

Side profile. Id like to take out a little more, but its already pretty top heavy.

Ive rounded off the top a little. It'll probably receive a bandanna or something like the pirate I did, to cover up the crack :D And Tia checks out these strange woodchips

There is "good" bad taste, and there is "bad" bad taste, and the difference of the two is in the eye of the beholder - Sven Kirsten

[ Edited by: hewey 2008-07-25 23:52 ]

All right Hewey! Good to see ya posting pics again. Dude that mouth is gonna be HUGE! Good start so far.

H
hewey posted on Sat, Jul 26, 2008 9:48 PM

Thanks surfin :D

But what the heck is this stuff for?

On 2008-07-26 21:48, hewey wrote:

???

H
hewey posted on Sun, Jul 27, 2008 4:54 AM

On 2008-07-27 03:32, Tama The Terrible wrote:

???

Nope :wink:

[ Edited by: hewey 2008-08-02 04:26 ]

H
hewey posted on Sat, Aug 2, 2008 4:18 AM

I've done some more work on the big mouth tiki. It's got eyes and some paint, but Ive got no pics so I'll just have to leave you in suspense :wink: I also finished off carving an AAC/hebel tiki I started ages ago, and have started to paint that too :D Again, no pics of that either... but I did remember to take some pics of the logs I picked up this arvo...

So the dilemma is, you own a beetle, and have 2 x 1 metre logs (3.2 feet) and a 70cm log (2.3 feet) to transport home. I opted to just grab one of the big ones and the little log this trip.

Fits in easy when you ditch the passenger seat! Thats 1.7 metres (5.6 feet) worth of log in there!

These logs are cocos palm. Not the best for carving, but good enough to play with. I'll be keeoing one of the big ones and the little one, and the other big ones will be donated to Kruzzin62 (Brendon) for him to carve :D The best part is the same guy who gave me these logs will shortly be cutting down these cotton palms (aka mexican fan palms according to my research). Below are a couple of pics to give you an indication of size :D Basically I just need to specify what size these are cut into! Unfortunately my limiting factor is what I can get loaded onto a trailer :(

K

man those palms are huge dude ,love the enginuity with taking the seat out of the bug nice thinking ,i suppose the roof racks wouldnt take the weight..

B

Those look like Washingtonian palms or Mexican fan palms see HERE
THey are excellent carving palms.
Oh yeah, Did you know your steering wheel is on the wrong side of the car? I'd take it back and make'um give you the correct one!

On 2008-07-26 21:48, hewey wrote:
Thanks surfin :D

Those are the spare parts from taking the seat out of your car!

Great, huge looking palms! I say cut it as big as you want, and rope that pack of wild dogs inhabiting your back yard to it and pull it home ala a dog sled~ MUSH!

H
hewey posted on Sat, Aug 2, 2008 11:44 PM

i suppose the roof racks wouldnt take the weight..

Believe me mate, I sure as hell wont be lifting them up there! You'll see what I mean when I drop the big log around :D

Those look like Washingtonian palms or Mexican fan palms

Yeh, Im getting all excited!

Those are the spare parts from taking the seat out of your car!

Incorrect! :wink:

So I got the logs home without any dramas. This gives you an idea of the size of them

You get the camera out, and all the dogs want to do is pose... :roll:

The correct answer for the pile of parts is they're tiki anatomy! The wrench (we call em shifting spanners) is tongue-like thing (?), and the bolts/nuts/washers have been put together to make cool tiki eyes!

This threaded rod will be cut up to make tiki teeth

And I finished carving this thing, and threw on the first coat of paint. It will get another coat, then get a black wash for that cool old feel. The plan is a grass skirt, and surfboard behind him.

Oh yeh, I went to a local car show which includes a swap meet as part of it. Sometimes you find some cool vintage gear, even the occasional tiki mug. Unfortuneately, I dont think this counts! I didnt even bother checking the price

[ Edited by: hewey 2008-08-02 23:56 ]

S

Your tool tiki is one of a kind! NICE.

The surfboard and skirt will be cool.

Good to see you creating again mate.

H

Hewey's log, 29 November 2008:
Yeh, Im still alive. Basically my life's been completely turned upside down over the last year. Funny how tiki stuff take's a back seat whent the proverbial hits the fan eh? :lol: Anyway, just letting you know Im still kickin around, and I hope to get back into the carving side of things again soon :D Hewey

What the hell Hewey!!
Glad your ok, and climbin' back We missed ya!

L
Luigi posted on Tue, Dec 2, 2008 9:29 PM

Why, Hello kind sir. I thank you for the compliment on my work. I'm still new to the tiki world...uh :-?...I'm trying to think of how to finish this sentence...uh... tiki... look foward to seeing your work :D

side note No, I am not a total spaz
side-side note Yes, I am a total spaz
** But not realy though... but yes..no

[ Edited by: Luigi 2008-12-02 21:33 ]

B

On 2008-11-28 23:25, hewey wrote:
Hewey's log, 29 November 2008:
Yeh, Im still alive. Basically my life's been completely turned upside down over the last year. Funny how tiki stuff take's a back seat whent the proverbial hits the fan eh? :lol: Anyway, just letting you know Im still kickin around, and I hope to get back into the carving side of things again soon :D Hewey

WELLL?
Wheres the new wood carvings with all those LOGs? C'Mon, lets get busy

H
hewey posted on Fri, Feb 26, 2010 4:19 AM

Hewey coughs as he blows thw dust off this old thread...

Been a while since I played with my wood, so thought I'd have a go and take some pics to share :D

Well for something different I'm going to make an Alaia, which is a traditional Hawaiian surfboard, like the one pictured below.

Alaia's are pretty hard to surf, so Im not even going to bother trying :lol: so for that reason I just bought a cheap sheet of butted pine from the local hardware store to make this. It will be for displaying in my tiki room or chucking on the roofrack of an old car (when I get one :lol: ).

Im also doing a 4 foot Paipo (basically the bellyboard equivalent of the Alaia), that will be made out of Paulownia wood, which is a much better wood for making a board.

Project start on the Alaia, butted pine plank.

The end of this Alaia gives you a good idea as to the profile and rails on these boards.

Cool! I can't wait to see how that turns out.

about time. and that is a cool mug

Hey dude give me a buzzzz i got some big logs of camphalorill "forgive my spelling"
your board looks cool

H
hewey posted on Wed, Mar 3, 2010 2:54 AM

During the week I got my 4 foot Paulownia board blank from Surfing Green, which is for making a Paipo (bellyboard cousin of the Alaia), which I actually plan on surfing. They threw in a bonus blank too, which has a weaker grain, for nothing. Given I'll only be surfing little stuff I dont think the weaker grain should be too much of an issue :lol:

The 3 board blanks together, for now Im just going to make the bigun.

I traced the shape for the board off the computer screen, then drew up a quick grid pattern

I then transferred that to baking paper, and cut out the template, laid it on my pine board, and weighed it down with the first thing I could find, being model cars :lol: :lol:

Trace it, flip it over and trace it again. This ensures the sides are equal

Finished shape

In the shed for cutting. Only had one saw horse, so the other end was balanced on my log pile (drying them out to carve)

Starting to shape up :D Sides need a little work to tidy up, but given its just a wall piece Im not too concerned :wink:

The logs in the garage I got on the weekend just been, so I sealed them up with some candle wax, the burner certainly helped the process :D :D :D

K

Hes back .........
Hey dude looking good

HEWEY!!!!

P

Hewey - Quick Q about the wax. I understand the purpose is to seal in the moisture but when do you take it off and how long do you dry the log prior to carving? I have to large pines drying out in my garage and all I did was spray ALOT of spray varnish on each end. If moisture is trapped in there, won't it have to escape eventually and split the wood? I'm new to TC so I appreciate the insight. Good luck with the board.

H
hewey posted on Wed, Mar 3, 2010 1:39 PM

Hey Puti. This is the first time I've done this, so I'm hardly an expert. My understanding is the splitting occurs when the wood dries out too quickly. With the ends sealed, it slowly evaporates out through the bark, but in a slow controlled way. My woodworking mate who told me about this reccomended I leave the wood to dry out for 2 years before cutting, so this gives you an idea of how long it takes for a log of this size. When the wood is dry simply cut an inch off each end (which I'll need to do to make the base flat anyway), debark it, and carve up a tiki! I think the advantage of the candle wax is it gives a nice solid barrier to the moisture escaping. With something like the varnish, being end grain and with the wood drying out its going to need a LOT of varnish to seal it properly. Plus you get to play with a burner! :D

S

I'm digging the real retro board!

H
hewey posted on Fri, Mar 5, 2010 9:01 PM

I wasnt happy with the shape of the fish tail rear end so I lopped it off, so it now looks more like a traditional Alaia. I then rounded off the edges a bit, and gave the rails some shape too (although not much, given it wont be a rider so its not critical).

Once I'd done that, I decided to wack the bejesus out of it, just for kicks. As luck would have it, a hammer and a tyre iron were close at hand :lol: :lol:

H
hewey posted on Sat, Mar 6, 2010 1:01 AM

Now that the shape was sorted, time to engrave a Tangaroa face. First of all a quick sketch.

Yup, looks good.

Trace

And carve. I wasnt completely happy with how it turned out, cutting across the grain gave pretty messy cuts :(

So it hit it with a burner

I them sanded the face a little to knock off some of the burnt bits. And to give the wood some more colour, I sprayed a little red primer then wipped it off straight away, only doing a dinner plate size at a time.

Next I went over it with some black paint, using a paint brush to get it into the knocks and dings I made, then wipe it off again.

For comparison I lined the offcuts up next to it to illustrate the colour difference

Still need to add the black to the back, then its time for some clear varnish. :D

Hewey! Take that bugger surfing anyways!!! That'll give it a nice worn in look!!
Very cool man, love it. Get a picture of it hanging on your wall when you're all done.

looks good dude , yeah take it for a boogie down ..

H
hewey posted on Mon, Mar 22, 2010 3:45 AM

No update on the board, but yesterday I went to a car show on the coast then went for a 22 mile ride along the coast :D

First of all heres my bike with Squiz's HR Holden. Squiz is a fellow tiki nut who loves his old cars, and hes headed over to Viva Las Vegas soon - lucky bastard!

And just a sample of the scenery from the ride :D Lovely weather eh?

[ Edited by: hewey 2010-03-22 03:46 ]

What? Australia with SMALL waves. I don't buy it. It's a fake pic!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 304 replies