Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Hewey's wood thread - Making a Paipo p20

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 304 replies

H

Yeh, I havent got around to putting concrete sealer on em. I was kinda interested to see how they went without it. I think I might now though

hewey,
the hook has been set now you won't want to stop. ideas will be blazing through your head.
Good work,
Thom

Sorry to see about your carvings current state Hewey. Just look at it as a reasong to carve another.

H
hewey posted on Sun, Dec 4, 2005 4:49 AM

I just picked up a chunk of wood from a mate. Cant remember what he said it was, but apparently it carves real nice. Hope to tackle it soon.

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Dec 4, 2005 5:22 PM

Hewey,

Bring it on! Let's see it!

-Gman

B

Got it done yet Hewey? Post some of those pic's you took during the carving. What, NOT Done yet? What you been doing?
Sorry 'bout that ol # 1, he just wasn't meant to be I guess.
OK, OK I'll lighten up, but you gotta hurry up if I do!.

H
hewey posted on Mon, Dec 5, 2005 4:35 AM

Had my first crack at the wood today. Its going to be a Hawaiian inspired full bodied tiki holding a shield, about 16 inch tall. The back of the piece of wood is still bark, which Im going to leave as is. I hope to get a really smooth finish and give it a clear stain. Itll be an indoor tiki when finished.

Unfortuneately, the back is not flat, so the piece is moving around some when I chisel it. I only have flat chisels, I really need a v chisel and a gouge chisel. I spent lots of time chasing the piece around the bench, as the chocks my step-dad had arent real big, and dont hold it real well.

H
hewey posted on Mon, Dec 5, 2005 9:39 PM

Here are the results of the first carving session. There is no digi camera, so once I again I lugged it into the scanner.

Here's a sketch of what Im trying to achieve. I came up with it as I sketched onto the wood. I then drew this to show where its (hopefully) going.

And here's what the first session turned out.

The raised section is all still dead flat. The sections that have been cut out still need more cutting out. I got a long way to go.

Hewey,
Nice start there, thanks for the tip about the AAC.
I built a carving table where the top is almost all open. I have two 2X6 in the center about 5" apart so the log will lay there and not move from side to side. I also have bags of sand that are canvas & about 12"X12". They will hold a small piece in place. If you want I will send you a photo. PM me!
Moon

hewey,
How's it goin' glad to see the wood comming along (congrats)
you can make a sort of carving station by crossing 2 2x4"s at each end and securing them in the middle. just make sure you don't make it to high or to long; that way you can work on short/long pieces and thin and thick pieces.
Best o' luck,
Thom

H
hewey posted on Wed, Dec 7, 2005 5:32 AM

Thanks for the woodholding tips people :)

Hopefully I can carve out some time (lame pun, but Im not apologising) and get some more done soon. Any constructive critique welcome (apart from getting a digital camera to take pics, I know that one already). At this stage I just need to keep hacking away at it...

J

Nice start on the wood guy. Tikis in wood are way too shy. You have to keep striking the wood with sharp metal just to encourage them to show themselves.
JP

J

How is this tiki coming? So far it looks just like the picture you drew. I always screw up on a cut and it comes out way different than the drawing?

JP

H
hewey posted on Mon, Dec 12, 2005 5:54 AM

Hey JP. The tiki is sitting alone on the workbench. I havent had time to have another go, but 2 jobs and 6 day weeks will do that to ya.

Yeh, so far its like the sketch. But as I said, I sketched it directly onto the wood before I sketched it onto the paper.

I hope to get in some more carving before christmas, but im not sure if I will. Ill post pics if I do.

H
hewey posted on Tue, Dec 13, 2005 5:51 AM

Had a bad day at work, so I decided to come home and have at the tiki with a chissel. Its looking like a tiki finally. I still got a lot of work, as I want to give it a really smooth sanded finish. So far all the work has been completed with flat chissels, as that is all I have.

keep up the good work hewey are you going to stain and lacquer him.

B

Hewey, I think he looks pretty cool. How much more are you going to do to him?

H
hewey posted on Wed, Dec 14, 2005 2:25 AM

Yeh, I want to go a really clean finish, and clear stain. Note sure how much I will stay with the sanding thing

B

Hey Hewey, since you're having trouble selling yer Bug, I say work with what ya got. :D

I saw this post at the Focus Site I belong to and thought of you.
http://forums.focaljet.com/team-pit-stop/494536-we-dubbin.html

G
GMAN posted on Fri, Dec 30, 2005 1:52 PM

Hewey,

He's looking good. Lean into that bad boy and then show us some more pics.

-Gman

K
kirby posted on Fri, Dec 30, 2005 3:41 PM

I agree with mojo...its all about the vdub....

H
hewey posted on Fri, Dec 30, 2005 9:04 PM

Thanks for the support people. Havent had time for any work on this fella. I did get some decent pastels and some sketch pads for christmas, so you might see some pastels in the future.

Yeh, the bug is stayin for a while. No wagon for me. Gonna play with the bug, but not quite as much as that volksrod. Very cool though :) Im tossing up how long I keep the bug with how much I play with it. And how much money I want to waste. haha. I already put in a new wheel (an old 60s style wheel). Hopefully its gonna get a tiki horn push. Itll look better than the hole its currently got.

H
hewey posted on Sun, Jan 8, 2006 7:39 PM

Yeh, I know, its been a while. Ive done a little more chissel work, and have started on the sanding. It was gonna get the totally clean look, but its got some cool character lines down the side from where my mate trimmed it with a chain saw from the main section of wood. Same with the upper surface finish (like on the left arm). Im gonna need to get a dremmel or similar to finish in the tight gaps where its a bit tight to get sandpaper in there.

Probably gonna go with a clearish stain.

B

Its getting closer Hewey. I can see some progress already.

J

Hewey, it's coming along great. If you figure out a easy way to sand to tight spots let us know.

JP

KK

Aloha bruddah!
Looking good brah! Keep going and keep posting so we can see da buggah completed in all its glory!

Malama Pono!

H
hewey posted on Wed, Jan 18, 2006 8:48 PM

Still working on this one. But I got the next one lined up already...

I got a 2.5 foot long chunk of cocos palm. This one is gonna go to my wahine's uncle, for around their pool. Its a bit daunting, the piece of wood is so big to anything I tried yet. Here goes nothin...

H
hewey posted on Wed, Jan 18, 2006 9:12 PM

Forgot to say I also got a a couple of pieces of wood shaped like axe type things from my brother. They were just sitting in his house when he moved in, from the old owners. Just cutouts, very plain. But im gonna tart em up all nice and pretty. Ill post pics of all this some day, maybe after I actually do something...

H
hewey posted on Mon, Jan 23, 2006 5:31 AM

No. 1 is almost finished! He's got a couple of coats of stain so far. I might give him some dark highlights to really bring out the cracks, then some clear marine lacquer. Ill get multiple pics when I finish him (not just use the scanner).

Here is one of my next project (besides the 2.5 footer):

Its a piece of wood that was left at my brothers place by the old owner, and its shaped like a club. Theres another one, but more on that later. The pattern is just something I freehand sketched, inspired by maori style designs.

With that in mind, Im gonna use more maori style tiki for the finish. Once Ive cleaned it up, Im gonna basecoat the whole thing in silver spraypaint, then overlay this with a jade green (candy or metallic). Once this has been done, I will paint the un-engraved sections of the club in black. When I finish, I hope to have all the engarved sections nicely detailed in green. It should really pop against the black.

But Ive also got some cool plans for the other club...

looks nice Hewey.....I really like the shape of the weapon....it will be a nice addition
to your portfolio.....

L
Loki posted on Mon, Jan 23, 2006 5:42 AM

Really nice hewey,
I would encourage you to use some different stain colors too. Its fun and really makes a difference by adding layers of color. They are usualy subtle, but make a huge difference in the overall finish. Great free hand on the club. Looking forward to seeing this one finished.

Looks good so far . I really like the freehand sketch work you have done.

KK

Aloha Cuz, Looking good brah! Keep up the good work and keep posting da kine for us to spark!

Malama Pono!

H
hmc posted on Mon, Jan 23, 2006 1:29 PM

Cool shape hewey. A brown stain would look awesome on this! Maybe you could stain the next one??? Pretty please??? :D

B

Hewey, I'm glad to see you Finally finishing that cute little tiki. I Love the stain. He is turning out very nicely, and the Club is going to be Killer.

H
harro posted on Mon, Jan 23, 2006 7:33 PM

looking good hewey - you could do someone some real damage with that club!!

G
GMAN posted on Mon, Jan 23, 2006 7:59 PM

Hewey,

Comgrats on carving a great tiki. Do you have anything left to do or is he "done"? Very nice job. I'm glad to see you are still working on him down there. Neat club, was that shape already cut?

-Gman

K
kirby posted on Mon, Jan 23, 2006 9:39 PM

kan I be the first one to get there head chopped of with that club...my brain is realy pissing me off lately and I think i neen a brand new dome.....keep it up hewey

H

Thanks for the feedback, i hope to get back into it when I get home!

#1 still needs a little work, but only minor finishing (detail with dark stain, clearcoating). Hopefully be done within a week.

I got the club cut out in that shape already. I might take an outline of it for a template though. This club seems to be popular.

Kirby, the next club might do a little more damage. Its gonna be a little nastier and meaner...

H
hewey posted on Wed, Jan 25, 2006 7:23 PM

I finished the club today - arent public holidays great! (its Australia Day here).

I finished the carving, then basecoated it in silver spraypaint. The silver gives the green a uniform base coat, and also brightens up the final colour.

Then I overlayed that with a green metallic.

Then I painted on all the black, except for the bits that I wanted green. It came out looking a little like this:

Actually, it looks better in real life. The green is more of an irredescent jade green. And the black is more black. I will get some proper pics of it and the little guy when the little guy has had another few coats of clear lacquer.

Cool work, hewey! Your drawing style is evident in the tiki too. Fine stuff!

H
hewey posted on Sat, Jan 28, 2006 7:37 PM

The wood tiki has been given plenty of clear lacquar and came out sweet. It might be going to HMCs galley/bar en Melbourne. Ill post some "finished" pics (proper pics of teh whole piece, not just scannings) soon hopefully.

H
hewey posted on Sun, Jan 29, 2006 5:05 AM

Here are the finished pics of the first tiki. You can see the variance in the width of the piece from side to side. You can also see the back, which is mainly still bark and "natural"

Main shot:

One side:

Other side (note the chainsaw markings left in for character):

Another one (markings more clear in this one):

Rear of the little fella:

A proper shot of the club too.

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Jan 29, 2006 7:01 AM

Hewey,

He looks good. You may have said before, but how tall is this guy? It's time to get on to the next guy. Use what you've learned while making this guy to make your next one better.

-Gman

B

Yes, Don't stop now, you are on a roll and your next one could be your BEst Ever. The club is cool, I Love the different colors. Nice effect with the detail.

Looking good, hewey! I'll bet the next will really be cool too!

Hewey, I love that club! I'm going to have to try making one someday for the old tiki bar wall. You're tiki is great too. I like the natural back and the depth in your cuts. On to the next!

B
Bete posted on Sun, Jan 29, 2006 1:00 PM

Looks very good, cool club.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 304 replies