Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Hewey's wood thread - Making a Paipo p20

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 304 replies

H
hewey posted on Tue, Mar 23, 2010 4:06 AM

On 2010-03-22 16:57, surfintiki wrote:
What? Australia with SMALL waves. I don't buy it. It's a fake pic!

:lol:

The Alaia board is still in the same state, but with the weather getting colder Ive decided to hook into my first Paipo (hawaiian bellyboard), particularly given Ive got this week off :D

So I printed off a template, stuck it together and trimmed it. I then transfererd this to 3mm MDF to make a more rigid template

Cut the mdf out with a jigsaw, sanded it down to get nice smooth lines.

Transfer this to the Paulownia wood blank

Final shape. Its reccomended that you leave an inch or so on the base so you can continue your shaping past the 'end' of the board to get nice clean lines.

Next step is cut in the rails and a concave in the bottom with a hand plane, shape the nose, final sand then varnish. Plan is to take it for a surf by the end of the week :D

Yeah! Bring it!

T

Making a Paipo- Sounds so dirty

S

Hewey I'm still digging the Alaia board! I love to try that sucker down under in
some warm water.

Cool Peewee bike. I have a beach bike but is old and rusty. That Beach pic look
allot like the PMW. Not the inland shot though.

H

Thanks Surfintiki, TeaKEy and Seeksurf :D :D

Hooked in and got a bunch done on the board today. Here you can see the concave in the middle and the rails at the side ready for shaping

View from the top

Final shape, still needed final sanding at this stage :D

Nose of the board shaped. just needs to be smoothed out a little

Woohoo, sanding is done, time for some marine grade varnish. Love how it brings out the colour and grain in the wood

Pretty happy with how it looks

Shot of the end gives you an idea of the profile, lurvely caurves eh?

mmmmm, wood

I had to get an arty shot in :wink:

Just needs a couple more coats of varnish and she's good to surf. :D :D

P

hewey, you should really glass that. at least with one coat of light glass.

looks cool, too.

P
Paipo posted on Wed, Mar 24, 2010 1:42 AM

Sweet curves and that end profile looks pretty functional hewey...you gotta get someone to get a pic of you riding it in some hibiscus print boardies! 5mm of rubber all the way over here as of this week... :(

H
hewey posted on Wed, Mar 24, 2010 4:44 AM

Thanks Pdrake. Theres a bunch of guys who do Paulownia wood Alaia and Paipo boards (like Tom Wegener, Surfing Green etc) and they only coat their boards in Linseed Oil. The Paulownia is really salt water resistant, which is why its ideal for board making (plus its light). The varnish wont be as strong as a glassed board, but I'll only be taking it on small beach brakes for now so it should be fine.

Heya Paipo! Yeh, when you buy the blank they include a booklet on shaping the board including the rails and concave section, helps counter the lack of fins. Ive just bought myself a Go Pro waterproof camera, so will be hoping to get some cool action shots in the future (prob next summer :lol: )

S

Hell ya! that sucker looks great nice job. looks like fun project.

Sweet board! Love the bike.

E2

frenchy old school bike !!!!lol idem

H

Thanks Seeks, Lizard and Eric :D

Added a leash for good measure and went surfing today :D The basics boil down to I suck (hey, Ive never surfed anything before), I caught 3 decent waves, and I had a good time. As you can see the weather was pretty special too :D

L

On 2010-03-23 23:48, hewey wrote:

Cool work you do... Also cool pix!

J.

H
hewey posted on Sat, Aug 21, 2010 2:00 AM

I was staring at this piece of wood waiting for a tiki to emerge from it, and then when it didnt come I started looking around at some of the crap lying around my garage... a mild brainfart and some precarious juggling and this is what came out from it. Safe to say it needs some more development before its finalised, but its got potential :wink:

B

Strangest looking PAIPO I've ever seen,, has Paipo seen it? COOL.

H
hewey posted on Sun, Aug 22, 2010 5:03 AM

On 2010-08-21 08:46, Benzart wrote:
Strangest looking PAIPO I've ever seen,, has Paipo seen it? COOL.

Paipo is on page 20 like the title says :wink:

B

Excellent looking board Hewey, Looks like it was Really Challenging with the contours and curves and all. That wood is Really Beautiful and with it being saltwater resistant all you need is some wax and yer good 'ta go.
Ought to get Paipo down there and get a photo of Paipo riding a Paipo.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 304 replies