Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Official Introductions Thread. New Members, Post your introduction here...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 4,279 replies

N

Hi everyone,

I've just joined the board from here in Scotland. I'm building a bar in my garden and have started a thread on that.

Aprart from an interest in Tiki I'm into Hot Rods and Kustoms and shoot photos over here in the UK for some mags. I drive a mild custom '57 Chevy. Amongst my photographic duties I photographed many of the mugs in the Tiki Mugs book :)

Check out some of my work over here http://www.nickgrant.co.uk

Nick

L

I joined recently but put off posting in this thread, for no good reason.

I'm very, very, very [ . . . ] new to tiki, having really only considered it as a pursuit in the past three months or so. On a trip to Tampa, I had a moment of inspiration to search out a "proper" tiki bar, only assuming there would be dozens in the immediate area. The search failed, but I found Critiki as a result, and from that moment my greyhound has been chasing the rabbit.

My home base of Richmond, VA is several days' sailing from dedicated polynesia, but we have a lot of talent bartenders who'll put up a tiki night every once in a while. What those lack in atmosphere they make up for with good, powerful cocktails.

I have an extended weekend trip planned in September in which I'm going to wrap seeing two of my favorite comedians (Greg Proops, Dana Gould) with visits to City Beverage in Durham, NC and Trader Vic's Atlanta. Until the trip's day comes, I'm working on making a Painkiller, Singapore Sling, and Mai Tai I would not be embarrassed to serve to another person.

Welcome, LitClique, to TC and to tiki! There are lots of great forum topics here, and you'll find yourself coming up to speed very quickly. Your efforts to make good classic cocktails at home will be rewarding and enjoyable. You can reach out to many here in the forums for questions. You WILL be successful simply by following directions/recipes and using quality syrups and ingredients. Don't ignore the joy of making your own syrups as well - it's easy and worth the effort.

A couple of cautions/suggestions though - start building MANY shelves for a tiki mug collection, consider commandeering one full room of your house now while you can and before friends and family realize where you're heading, and sell your most prized possessions to begin buying rum and stuff for the awesome home bar your going to find yourself building. You can do the plumbing and electrical additions now and be done with everything by Christmas! ha...

Cheers!

"Drinking rum before 10am makes one a pirate, not an alcoholic."

On 2014-08-01 04:15, NickGrant wrote:
I've just joined the board from here in Scotland. I'm building a bar in my garden and have started a thread on that.

Amongst my photographic duties I photographed many of the mugs in the Tiki Mugs book :)

Nick, that's awesome. Scotland, just like other places around the world, needs tiki! Keep us posted in your thread about your bar.

Your tiki mug photos are cool. Welcome to TC!

L

On 2014-08-01 07:31, AceExplorer wrote:
Don't ignore the joy of making your own syrups as well - it's easy and worth the effort.[/i]

Oh, I'm into my second and third batches of homemade orgeat and cream of coconut. For the CoC, I'm trying to figure out exactly how little sugar I can get away with. The suggestions I've read of 2pt sugar : 1pt canned coconut milk is simply insane. But I'm not purist . . . yet.

Hello all, just joined this forum and wanted to say hello. So Hello! I've been trying my hand at constructing classic tiki drinks for awhile, but am astounded at the amount if information on these forums. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute.

H

On 2014-08-01 06:20, LitClique wrote:
I'm very, very, very [ . . . ] new to tiki, having really only considered it as a pursuit in the past three months or so. On a trip to Tampa, I had a moment of inspiration to search out a "proper" tiki bar, only assuming there would be dozens in the immediate area. The search failed, but I found Critiki as a result, and from that moment my greyhound has been chasing the rabbit.

I am always tickled to learn that someone found inspiration in Critiki. Welcome to Tiki Central! The Trader Vic's in Atlanta is a beaut, one of my favorite Vic's, I hope you have a great time there in September.

Aloha and welcome to new TC members! If you are also new to Tiki, be sure to take advantage of the treasure trove of information available on this site. If you have any questions, feel free to ask them. Most folks on this site are pretty friendly and helpful. I for one am more than happy to help folks here in any way that I can.

Z

Aloha, and welcome all!

On 2014-08-10 14:36, Humuhumu wrote:

I am always tickled to learn that someone found inspiration in Critiki. Welcome to Tiki Central! The Trader Vic's in Atlanta is a beaut, one of my favorite Vic's, I hope you have a great time there in September.

Thanks for Critiki! I couldn't begin the count the hours of enjoyment I've received from your site in just the short time I've known it.

EC

Aloha,
This is my first post to Tiki Central and my first digital step into a much larger world of style and sophistication.

Here's a bit about myself -
I'm from RI (The Hawaii of the East Coast)
I got into lounge culture by way of Combustible Edison. I was 16 when they were just starting out in Providence and, at the time, one could have fire eaters in a club the size of most guest bathrooms. It blew my mind.
I started hosting non-alcoholic lounge parties and requiring my friends snazz it up a bit and buy suits and dresses.

From there, I needed new music - you can only listen to one album for so long - so I became introduced to Martin Denny and that (somehow) led to surf rock. Tiki came a bit later, but it came with a ferocity.

So here I am many years later and the 'bug' has bit me again.

Cheers!

Hello! First post here from a tiki-newcomer.

What started with occasional dabbling later turned into a two-week tiki history reading binge, and now I've found myself a semi-regular at Trader Sam's (Disneyland) and the Tonga Hut (North Hollywood), with a small (growing) mug collection and a fairly well stocked bar (yes, I have homemade orgeat). Jeff Berry's Total Tiki app gets a great deal of use on my iPad (based on what I've got in my fridge & cabinet, I can make about 48+ drinks!). Also, I recently got my hands on an old vinyl of Arthur Lyman's Bahai album.

Academically... I'm interested in all things kitsch & "romantic" (i.e. exotic & adventurous), interests which I've incorporated into my recent MA in Anthropology. I've actually done a fair amount of research on design, folklore & guest-created traditions in Disneyland that ties in with that.

One more thing: I've been known to espouse the merits of a good pith helmet, both on the trail & off. Hey, they're practical AND stylish!

PPS: RIP the Adventurer's Club. May it rise again!

[ Edited by: Kungaloosh Kristine 2014-08-17 23:25 ]

[ Edited by: Kungaloosh Kristine 2014-08-17 23:25 ]

K

Aloha,

I look forward to the wisdom of TC. I found my interest in tiki began in 2011. I've always had an interest in the Hawaiian culture. Years ago I played in a band that did surf music. Its nice to have a forum like this that shares so much information. I live east of the Rocky Mountains so there are not as many tiki lovers out here as there are on the west coast.

Keoni

F

On 2014-07-17 18:00, mikehooker wrote:
Hi all, been lurking this site for a while and finally decided to join and participate in the fun. My fiance and I are originally from Florida and are now living in Austin. It's a wonderful place that offers endless opportunities (for example, we opened a mid century modern vintage store last November, something we'd never be able to accomplish in South Florida), but there is a serious lack of tiki culture here. We miss the Mai Kai. Greatly. And in fact will be getting married there next Spring. But until then, I'm going to have to keep honing my mixing skills to fill the void. Always anxious to learn more and this site is a tremendous resource. Hope to make some new friends too.

Mike.

Small world... have the day off tomorrow, may have to venture by the shop to see whats new.

Hey everyone! Long time lurker, first time posting. Finally signed up on here. I have a cocktail blog at stirandstrain.com where I post a whole mix of drinks, including many tiki variants and lots of home DIY stuff. Just saying hello and introducing myself on here!

Welcome aboard TC, elanabean! I've used stirandstrain for research on cherry syrups, and a few other things. You have a great personal list of cocktail and food blogs posted there.

Jump in with both feet here and have fun.

Hello everyone, I am Scooterchef1! I have been collecting slowly over the last 10 years or so, been lurking on here andecided to join. I live in Las Vegas, home of Frankies Tiki Room!

Hello fellow tiki enthusiasts! I'm a longtime tikiphile, so I'm not sure why it took me so many years to finally sign up here.
I'm an airline pilot and have the incredible good fortune to lay over in Hawaii several times a month. I have also been working on a Tiki SciFi novel. If I continue to work on it at the pace I have been, it should be finished in another 10-15 years.

Welcome to all the new folks. Good to see that you are supporting your local Tiki establishments.

hello guys! the name is Vic and I carve tikis on my spare time check them out

Welcome to TC, VicHdzArt. Nice job on the carving. I don't think it's really something you can call a "tiki" though - it's modern "character art" executed on what looks like it may have been a palm trunk and it's brightly painted. But it is good, the features are well-proportioned, and it is fun and visually appealing. I'd say it is better than many of the modern-style carvings I see. Do a search here on TC and you'll find many good examples of tiki carvings. But don't worry about what you're doing - it's cool - just not something I would call "tiki." I would love to see more of your pics.

K

Greetings all!

I just learned about this forum from listening to Darrell Brogdon's interview with Andy Nazzal of Tiki Joe's Ocean. I've listened to Retro Cocktail Hour for many years and somehow never heard of this forum. I'm not so interested in the Tiki lifestyle but I love the music. My grandmother used to listen to a lot of Hawaiian, lounge, and exotica. I never really appreciated how great the music is until maybe the last ten years or so. Retro Cocktail Hour has been my go to for fun listening. I'll probably be checking out the music forum a lot to get tips for purchasing and listening. Cheers!

Kevin

Aloha, I'm Kahuna Kraig!

I am a long time tikiphile and recently relocated to St. Louis, MO from Orange County Ca.

There is very little Tiki in the area, but there are a few of us who are dedicated to bringing tiki back! Like Saint Louis Tiki on Facebook.

Saint Louis now has a promising Tiki Bar - Taha'a
We also have a fantastic Surf and Exotica band - Five-Eaux
We also have a great Tiki Ohana that is just starting to get some traction.

Hope you will join the Ohana if you're in the area!

Mahalo nui loa!

Aloha!

Well, I just got back from Kauai and was blown away... what an amazing place!

But... the only thing I was surprised about was the lack of tiki bars there. I went to one place that I thought would be a full blown tiki bar, and they didn't even have umbrellas for the drinks. lol... (tahiti nui hanalei)

I soon came to realize that if you actually live in tiki land, you don't want to see tiki I guess. After much searching am also surprised it seems the best tiki bars are in places like Chicago!

So, anyway... I've always had tiki in my heart, but am new to the fine details of tiki and am interested in turning this into a full blown obsession.

M

Hi, I'm Mr. Zahta.

I'm from Brazil, where tiki isn't popular at all. I developed my love for tiki through the music a couple of years ago, and Exotica has been my favorite genre since then.

Today I have a collection of digital exotica, and my favorite acts are Martin Denny, Don Tiki, Tikiyaki Orchestra and recently, the Stolen Idols.

I don't have any tiki-related object, but I read a lot about that and love the lifestyle.

Aloha!

D

Hi,

I'm a Tiki/exotica fan, particularly where it overlaps with Disney. (Adventurer's Club, Polynesian Resort, Tiki Room, etc.)

I'm based out in Brooklyn, where there's almost nothing Tiki to enjoy. (Or worse, just the tease of something called "Tiki" but with nothing to show for it.)

P

my name is Jeff and I like to hurt myself...

PP

On 2014-09-20 12:26, pjc5150 wrote:
my name is Jeff and I like to hurt myself...

That had me laughing for days Jeff!!!!
please dont hurt yourself!!!! lol

Aloha! My name is Jeff and I was born into the mid 20th century era. I was drawn to my older brother's rock and roll records but there was something magical about my parents Martin Denny, Arthur Lyman and Hawaiian music records. I know that I played these more than they did on the huge Packard Bell in our family room in El Segundo CA. I loved Hawaiian Eye and Gilligan's Island on TV and felt such joy witnessing Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room at Disneyland. I bought surfer tiki necklaces and surf band records with my allowance even though I wasn't a surfer. I even carved a tiki out of a big white candle as boy. But then time passes; the family moves to San Diego; life happens. A few tiki things kept a little flame going over the years: The Bali Hai Restaurant, my parents records, the Tiki Room, Gilligan's Island.
But then, about 10 years ago or so, I became aware of tiki popping up in so many forms. It started with music, as it always does for me (I'm a musician myself). I discovered Combustible Edison, The Tiki Tones, Blue Hawaiians. Wow! I longed to revisit the look and sound of those halcyon days. Wha-? There's a Tiki Magazine? Tiki Central? The Book of Tiki? I wasn't alone!
I have been allowed a virtual time machine by the fine folks who have shared history, memories and images showing magical things far beyond what I could have imagined existed, being so young at the time. I have discovered that the amazing new exotica music in all it's forms and the resurgence of tiki design and architecture are not just in tribute to the past but are filled with vibrant new life. New bands keep arriving on the scene keeping the Tiki Torch well lit. And Tiki Cocktails...where have you been all my life?! It's an exciting time to affirm my total love of tiki. I gratefully welcome the obsession for all things tiki and exotica that has now possessed me for all time. The Curse of Kona! Bring it on!
I have visited TC many times the last fews year to explore, but seeing The Tikiyaki Orchestra at Don the Beachcomber on September 6th 2014, I realized I was surrounded by so many TC folks and decided it was about time to join the in crowd! I've added a couple of photos from that wonderful evening.
Paradise found.

Welcome Jeffitiki - thanks for sharing your story!

[ Edited by: Rum Balls 2014-09-30 11:14 ]

Thank you, Rum Balls! It's so nice to be here.

Aloha, all!

Jeffitiki, if you still live in San Diego, come on down to a 1st Monday meet up at Bali Hai sometime:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=45380&forum=17&start=0

J

Sounds great! Will you be meeting next Monday? What's a good time to be there? Mahalo!

We'll be there!
The earlier people usually arrive around 5:30 and folks come & go as the night goes on; usually until around 9 or 10. Check the last page of the meet-up thread on Monday - people sometimes give an idea of when they'll arrive. Some months get a bigger turnout than others. We push a bunch of tables together in the lounge area by the front windows, so just look for a friendly gang in Aloha shirts. Cheers!

J

Most excellent! Look forward to it!

Hello all. New to all of this, but very excited about all things tiki.

Greetings from the SoCal/South Bay area! I have been lurking around here for quite some time so I figured I'd finally make an honest woman of myself and create an account, tadaaaa:

Aloha to all nations all out there!

So, want to introduce myself:
I am an 32years old german guy who lives near nuremberg in bavaria.
I love to carve, decorate, paint and to create crazy things.

Wood is one of my favourite material I like to work with, but nevertheless I am creating things from all kinds of other materials like stone, bone, concrete, metal, leather...and so on. I create things in a range from Tikis, small or large, to realistic shrunkenheads or all other kinds of decoration stuff.

In the last days I started a small official shop on dawanda. Lets see what the future brings :D.

Thank you for this great platform for all Tiki-Freaks out there :D!

Mahalo!

Hello all!

Norm here. I'm a longtime listener, first time call...er, whatever. I've been lurking and gleaning great bits of knowledge, lore tips and tricks for a while now - time to come out of the woodwork!

I'm a recent Chicago transplant(via Canada), and I'm appreciating the availability of cheaper rums, more rums, more places that mix great rum drinks, and actually finding tiki mugs at thrift stores! However, I'm still at a loss for finding specific drink ingredients/implements, so I'll be posting and asking about those shortly...

Cheers!

U

I am yet another person who has visited TikiCentral for a long time and not joined. I am retired RN in southern New Mexico, with many hobbies, and interested in vintage drinks, both tiki and "regular." I have a nice library of about 100 drink books, most of which are vintage. This site inspired me to make pimiento dram. Unfortunately my locale is pretty much a Bud and margarita culture so I mostly make drinks for myself, my wife and a few friends and family. Recently, I started writing a drink related blog to sweep the cobwebs from what little gray matter I have remaining. It can be found at http://offthewaterwagon.blogspot.com/

Another long time reader first time poster. Relatively new to Tiki, and I love it! I had got involved in college a few years ago while doing a radio program! I, however, just moved to Ireland and am desperately missing my Tiki fix!

I'm glad you signed up, surfanova. I hope you find some cool Hibernian Tiki.

Welcome to all the new Tiki Enthusiasts from near and far. There are great members from many distant places so keep posting and you will find your local neighbors and resources for your home builds. Don't forget to share all your talents & pictures...beginner to advanced, we love them all. Have fun Tikiphiles!!!

J

Hi All, Introducing myself here. I've been referring to tikiroom posts for years now and finally decided to join. I've been a Polynesiana collector since I was a little kid - my folks bought the "Hawaii Calls Favorite Instrumentals" lp after a song from it appeared on the old Captain Kangaroo show one morning and I was hooked. (My Dad called the station to ask what the song was). In high school I started searching swap meets - which was a new phenomenon then - and got mugs, hula girl wigglers from japan, prints, menus, etc. for what seems like nothing now. (It was something to me then, making $1.65 an hour after school). But I never really knew what anything was, where it came from or anything about it's history. (Matson Line? Don Beach?). So I am very grateful for the Tiki Community and all of the tiki archaeologists who post here. I have tons of stuff to show and many questions to ask about things I've found over the years, so I am looking forward to meeting and comparing notes with you all.

F

On 2014-11-01 23:26, Jamoorea wrote:
Hi All, Introducing myself here. I've been referring to tikiroom posts for years now and finally decided to join. I've been a Polynesiana collector since I was a little kid - my folks bought the "Hawaii Calls Favorite Instrumentals" lp after a song from it appeared on the old Captain Kangaroo show one morning and I was hooked. (My Dad called the station to ask what the song was). In high school I started searching swap meets - which was a new phenomenon then - and got mugs, hula girl wigglers from japan, prints, menus, etc. for what seems like nothing now. (It was something to me then, making $1.65 an hour after school). But I never really knew what anything was, where it came from or anything about it's history. (Matson Line? Don Beach?). So I am very grateful for the Tiki Community and all of the tiki archaeologists who post here. I have tons of stuff to show and many questions to ask about things I've found over the years, so I am looking forward to meeting and comparing notes with you all.

Cant wait to see what you have turned up over the years...

ATTENTION ALL KOOL KATS AND KITTENS!!! I'm new to the scene but jumped in as a full blown Tikiphile right off the bat!!! Built a 100% cedar, bamboo, palm leaf palapa with bar Walt Disney inspired main tiki poles hold it up, I got my tiki mug collection up on ooga-mooga, redid the whole backyard to a Tiki Lounge. I would like to invite you all to take a look at my Tiki Lounge. I need ideas, critiques, complements on what works and what doesn't and just kool conversation. I even made a page for my backyard http://www.EnchantedTikiLounge.com

Aloha all,
I'm not new to tiki, but new to the forums. I've been spending most of time focusing on the drinks but am starting to get more into the rest of it.

A

Overproof Mike - great name! :)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 4279 replies