Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Official Introductions Thread. New Members, Post your introduction here...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 4,279 replies

L
Loki posted on Sat, Feb 4, 2006 4:48 AM

Aloha to you all. This is a great ohana and is very willing to share a tremendous amount of knowledge.

whlr70...oh boy...i'm flying into SFO in three weeks, is it going to be on display then?

"He who does anything because it is the custom makes no choice."

[ Edited by: Loki 2006-02-04 04:49 ]

W
whlr70 posted on Sat, Feb 4, 2006 9:53 AM

No, the installation date is April 10th. So, probobly a couple of days after that.
Thanks, Jeff

T

On 2006-02-04 09:53, whlr70 wrote:
No, the installation date is April 10th. So, probobly a couple of days after that.
Thanks, Jeff

I am looking forward to this. The cocktail shaker exhibit a few years back at the airport was amazing. I almost missed my flight!

All I can help with is a book from 1950 called "Look What's Cooking In and Near San Francisco". There are descriptions of Skipper Kent's and Zombie Village along with some recipes but it doesn't say when they opened ot closed. I can scan it for you if you want.

Welcome to Tiki Central!

[ Edited by: thejab 2006-02-04 10:03 ]

W

Thanks but I think I have that info covered. I'm going to go over to Otto's house at noon so I will see if he can shed some light on the subject.

Thanks Again, Jeff

When is Oakland Airport gonna get some tiki action??

L
lomita posted on Sun, Feb 5, 2006 5:06 PM

Aloha! I found these forums a few days ago and just wanted to introduce myself. It looks like there's a fair amount of Portlanders here... just adding another one to the mix. I was born and raised in Los Angeles, and late-60s tiki culture forms a backdrop to some of my earliest memories.

This week, I'm heading to Thailand and look forward to visiting Trader Vic's in Bangkok. It's sad to see a couple of others I've been to closed (Portland and Chicago).

I look forward to reading and maybe participating in the NW crawl.

B

Wewlcome Lomita, come on in and tay awhile.
Hope you enjoy your Thi trip. Take lots of pictures to share when you return.

I'm not that new as a member (2004) but I haven't been a regular reader of these forums until the past few weeks and I never posted until today. I regret my earlier silence and absence, but I am so happy to be here now! My wife and I just relocated from LA to Chicago (only to be devastated by the closing of Chicago Trader Vic's - thank goodness they'll be back soon and we made it to the Palmer Hilton location a few times before it was too late). Anyway, Aloha to you all!

Welcome reedalong!

Welcome reedalong!

T

On 2006-02-07 12:28, reedalong wrote:
I'm not that new as a member (2004) but I haven't been a regular reader of these forums until the past few weeks and I never posted until today. I regret my earlier silence and absence, but I am so happy to be here now! My wife and I just relocated from LA to Chicago (only to be devastated by the closing of Chicago Trader Vic's - thank goodness they'll be back soon and we made it to the Palmer Hilton location a few times before it was too late). Anyway, Aloha to you all!

Hey Reedalong - glad to see you here on TC.
Welcome.

The Chicago Tiki group doesn't get together as often or in as large numbers as in SF or LA, but stay tuned to TC for announcements - we do drag the ohana out to play once in a while.

If you need any other help getting acclimated here, let me know, I'm always happy to help a member of the ohana get settled.

Hello,

I've been a tiki nut (and read-onlier here) since being a regular at Trader Vic's in the U.A.E. about three years ago -where I also set up my own personal lounge in my huge flat there. I've moved to Prague,Czech Rep. three years ago-where there are only a few places exotica - none of them truly integrated in theme. For fun, I might have some chance to work on opening a tiki bar.

Hi, my wife and I are professional jewelers specializing in unique designs. We do a line of tiki jewelry well as skull rings and anything else you can dream up.

http://www.skinnydogdesign.com
[email protected]

[ Edited by: Skinny Dog 2006-02-13 03:50 ]

C

I'm new to your site today. Love it :)
I'm just starting to collect tiki. My best, so far,
is a 2 1/2 foot carving I bought from a guy alongside
the road between Key West and Key Largo. Getting it back
to Washington state was interesting.

Slowly converting my kitchen and patio to tiki.
Great information here.

B

Welcome PragueTiki, SkinnyDog and connzo! We are So Glad to have you here. Come on in and find a spot , sit down and relax and stay awhile. I'm sure you will All dind more tiki than you thought was ever available here. Thanks for coming in.

Aloha, I have been reading Tiki Central for a couple of years now (and have even been the subject of a post here...see the post by Tangaroa on the tikis at Marineland in Rancho Palos Verdes.) Just wanted to start posting and spread a little of my knowledge. By the way, if you are interested in Disneyland and other theme park images, checkout my blog: http://matterhorn1959.blogspot.com/

T

Matterhorn1959 has an AMAZING Disneyland and theme park collection! Anyone interested in these subjects really should check out his blog - he's a great guy too... Some collectors hoard their stuff - not this guy, he's always been glad to share.

H

Welcome, Matterhorn1959! Your blog has become a real favorite of mine, such a fantastic collection of images you've got.

Aloha to all,

I'm brand new to TC but have been collecting tikis for 5 or 6 years. I just recently started collecting mugs and I am totally addicted. I live in Huntington Beach and have made many trips to Oceanic Arts over the years to drink in all that is tiki. I also met Bamboo Ben and Mrs Bamboo last weekend and they are truly fantastic people. I look forward to my time on TC.

Okole Maluna,

Freaktiki13

D

hello!

I am in London. There is not much tiki here. I wish I was in Hawaii.

all good wishes to everyone

Delicado, you may just have to look a bit harder, and there may be more on the way.

TF

Tiki Fink here. In Denver Colorado. The Tiki scene is pretty dismal here. We had Tiki Boyd's and it recently closed to look for a new location. As for me I am proud to reveal that I carry the Tiki Torch in my own way with a pretty way out Tikiriffic home Tiki Bar on the patio of a very dialed in midcentury modern home in Krisana Park.

Howdy all!

Here's How!!!

Tiki Fink

Welcome Tiki Fink!

We'd love to see some pictures of your place!

TF

Tiki Fink here. In Denver Colorado. The Tiki scene is pretty dismal here. We had Tiki Boyd's and it recently closed to look for a new location. As for me I am proud to reveal that I carry the Tiki Torch in my own way with a pretty way out Tikiriffic home Tiki Bar on the patio of a very dialed in midcentury modern home in Krisana Park.

Howdy all!

Here's How!!!

Tiki Fink

Welcome Tiki Fink!

We'd love to see some pictures of your place!

Hello, I am new to the site, but not to tiki. I am a chainsaw wood carver, and have carved many tikis, and have several on dispalay at my tiki bar. If someone can tell me how to post a photo on this site, I'll put them on here to share. They may not be the best looking tikis, but I like them since I was the one who carved them.

T

On 2006-02-22 11:36, parrothead040 wrote:
Hello, I am new to the site, but not to tiki. I am a chainsaw wood carver, and have carved many tikis, and have several on display at my tiki bar. If someone can tell me how to post a photo on this site, I'll put them on here to share. They may not be the best looking tikis, but I like them since I was the one who carved them.

Hi ParrotHead - welcome to TC - it's a warm and friendly place. I'm a newbie here too.

1st - check out anything (any post) by "benzart" and "bamboo ben" and "basement kahuna" and "kirby" and ... well there is a bunch of very proficient carvers on this site.

2nd - to post pictures, get your picture up to some website (not this one, unfortunately). There's a FAQ about this. I have my own website and I use FTP to get a picture up there, then in the post here, use this syntax:

[ing]http://location.where.your.picture.is.com[/ing]

This will cause your picture to appear in your post at this location in the text.

I used "ing" in the example above, because if I had put "img" (The right thing to put there), this BBS would try to locate the picture and display it. Of course this website: "http://location.where.your.picture.is.com" does not exist.

Check out the "help/faq" link at the top of every page on this website, for more info.

Now let's see some of your stuff!

[ Edited by: tikigap 2006-02-22 16:28 ]

T

On 2006-02-18 15:07, delicado wrote:
hello!

I am in London. There is not much tiki here. I wish I was in Hawaii.

all good wishes to everyone

What are you talkin about? You gotta Trader Vics! That's pretty cool. I wish I had one near me...

[ Edited by: tikigap 2006-02-27 20:28 ]

T

Ok, I just posted this message in the Tiki Bingo thread:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=10223&forum=1#217634

Yeah... exciting, huh?

Anyways, I thought I'd make it official by posting in the New User thread. Been reading this forum for a couple of years. I'm from Houston - not exactly a mecca for Tiki. LOL Anyways, I do have a minor collection of Trader Vic stuff from the old Trader Vic's that used to be in the now demolished Shamrock Hotel which I will post soon.

I do have a home bar, but is it more Urban Redneck than Tiki. Probably, prime for a makeover one of these days but I can't bear to part with the current collection of old license plates, oil field signs, beer logos and stuff like that. :)

This is a great site and I love the friendly atmosphere here. There really are a bunch of great people here and tons of talented artists.

So, thanks to all you existing members for all the great posts over the years!

B

Aloha everybody! As a new member, I would like to introduce myself and say how incredible it is to be part of Tiki Central. I admit that I am a rookie at writing in forums but I couldn't resist when I came upon Tiki Central. I caught the tiki bug years ago and haven't looked back! Carving wood and rum drinks are my thing...Cheers!

K

I'm pretty new to TC. I guess my initiation into tiki came when my brother was kind enough to give me a shag serigraph as a gift for Christmas a few years ago. He had it custom-framed and chose a really cool purple-zebra type material for the matting. I think it looks great too, but it's different from your matting. Here's what it looks like:

this one shows a bit more detail of the matting...

He had one of his own framed where the image "floats" on grass.. the kind of grass you see on the tops of tiki bars, etc. It's very cool. (yes - they were framed by a professional, so there is no danger of damage due to the fames, matting, etc.) Another flots on Banana leaves...

He chose this print for me because he's a certified tiki-phile, and my name is JT. I'm not much of a jet-setter though. He had his picture made with Josh Angle and it's taped to the back. It was a terrific gift -it's my first (so far it's my only) Shag print.

P

Hi Everyone, I'm new here too... I'm 24 (since yesterday) and I love Tiki stuff.
Never thought there's so many more Tiki-lovers out there but I guess that explains
why I never win anything on Ebay that I want..LOL I live in Germany and theres not
much Tiki stuff around here. So I didnt really come across 'Tiki' until recently
(a few months ago). Before that I started collecting African masks, seashells and
beach-stuff and then realized that 'Tiki' is the word for the stuff I like. I'm working
on a acrylic painting at the moment with a Tiki mask on it, so I googled for other Tiki
art and came across this board. My collection consists of 7 Tiki mugs and the book
'Tiki style' + the painting I'm working on at the moment, thats it. I think I want to
start collecting vintage stuff. I've always planned to have a 'Hawaiian Tiki Style Bar'
in my basement one day with a lot of cool stuff in it. Seems like you people here on
this board share this interest... so I'm glad I've found it! :o)

Yeah i'm new here too. I probably should've posted here first, but that was then, this is now. teehee :wink: Anyways! I'm from MA, and just recently (off and on) an avid Tiki lover. Just recently have i figured out that there is infact a Tiki lounge say...ooh...25 minutes from my house (aka Tiki Lau!) I ordered from that place once, but alas i am too young to drink (im only 18 sigh) Yeah so anyways. Just sending out my Welcome Rays of Doom to you all. I got AIM if any of you are willing to talk to a youngster.

B

Welcome TheBigT, Glad you finally decided to become a full fleged member. Come on in and stay awhile. Glad to have you aboard.

B

Big Welcomes too for BEachnik, Kaikaina,Phoenix, and PockyTiki, we are proud to have you as new members. Come on and look around. If you have any questions , don't hesitate to ask and there is a lot of info in the FAQ's above right. Come on in and join the fun, be the fun, or make the fun, any way you want to have it.

B

Once again, mahalo for the welcome mat! The TC community is incredible...happy to be in the club.

Here's a little background. Started carving as an apprentice/student under a Hungarian master carver about 10 years back. When I started carving, my 74 year old teacher was a real firecracker....verrrry HARDCORE! Just follow directions and you will be fine ....yea right! After smashing fingers and drawing blood I finally got it. My first projects were very eastern european style, Byzantine to be exact. My instructer insisted that I enter one of my pieces in a corny woodcarver show and competition. After spending bucks to be a Cali carvers guild member and local club member I was allowed to enter the competition. What a hassle! To top it off, I was a little pissed because my instructer entered my piece in the expert level. To make a long story short, I took second place...yeaaaa! I was on top of the woodcarver world...NOT!

Traditional carving was getting old. Time for some Tiki/Hawaiiana! I had to cheat and sneak around the Hungarian while doing my style of woodcarving.

10 years went by and now I am ready for a tiki revival! I have carved 4 tikis, a story board and built my tiki bar...time for a mai tai or two!

I will post pix when I figure out (read the directions) how to. Now I need a bandaid for my chisel cut finger....yikes!

Beachnik

My Bad,
I guess I really should have looked around a bit more before I started Posting.
I saw the thread about what your name means, But I din't see this one. Dohhh!

I've been into Tiki since around 96 when I went to Hawaii and also got into surf music. Some surf bands used tikis on their cd covers. I used to see the Tiki Tones with SHAG in the band at the Doll Hut in Anaheim Ca. alot back in the late 90's. I'd go to some shag art exhibits, and other tiki events, that I heard of thru the Grapevine. And would recognize some of the same people over and over.
Now that I'm an actuall TC person I realize it's like a big family or Mafia of Tiki
People. I really like the friendly atmosphere in TC and at the events.

Hope to be getting to know more of you than I already do.
Jeff(bigtikidude)

Aloha All,

I just thought I would stop by and say Howzit to all the Tiki lovers out there. I am in Honolulu, born and raised. Hope to watch and participate in the conversations here from time to time.

Mahalo,
CSS

B

Welcome to TC ChopSuey Sisters! Honolulu sounds real good about now. I hope to get to Hawaii this summer to do some research....and of course some tiki/hawaiiana crawling. Just another westcoaster dreaming of the islands!

Beachnik

[ Edited by: blood.red.elephant 2006-08-10 20:39 ]

Looking forward to checking out the Puka Bar. Did Crazy Al put his touch on the place? See you for a Mai Tai soon!

Cheers,
Beachnik

M

Tiki on ! Bamboo Baby

Hey there fellow tiki lovers! I've been into tiki for about 4 yrs now. Got interested in it by osmosis, loved the lounge fad and all the music that goes with it. There is some cross over of lounge and tiki music; started looking for lounge music at garage sales found some tiki related music as well (Martin Denny, Les Baxter, etc). Love the decor and whatnot, so now I'm hoping to build a tiki bar of my own in the near future.

Anyone know where I can get items for decorating here in Canada? I'm hoping to find some suppliers here in Canada.

Thanks Chip

Email is [email protected]

T

My name is John and I go by "Tikitatt".

A balmy tropical breeze, sea salt of the voyage dries my tongue. Swaying palms in the moonlight envelope a bungalow. Flickering torchlight, this weary traveler shuffles through the dimly lit passage. A large wooden desk lies within the entranceway…I place my bag to the ground and tap the brass bell. Ding!…ding!... “hello?” Ding!! “uhmmm… Hello! Yes, Hello my name is…Jones.”

Hi folks, Traveling Jones…checking in! Please forgive any sand I may fling while finding my way around. I’ve browsed by Tiki Central many times in the past and found an overwhelming desire to register now. I have been ‘closet tiki’ for some time and suddenly realized…I am not alone! Anyway, I have a strong interest in the artist community – ‘Creating Tiki’ and collecting Polynesia, as well. I do travel about, a photographer by trade, and am fortunate to partake of the rapidly vanishing Tikisourus. I look forward to meeting each of you and hope that I may share a story, light wit or any savage collecting desires! Me ka Mahalo!!!

K

Welcome new folks. TravelingJones, your eloquant intro makes me want to chuck it all and go lolligag on a beach somewhere.

Thanks for the warm welcome,KC. Chuck and lolligag on the beach as you like...I'm headed to the pool to bang my flip-flops! See you around the post...flip-flop-flip-flop-flip-flopflip----SspooossSH!!!

Perfect '10' on the belly flop! --TravelingJones

B

Been lurking for a little while and decided to become more vocal... I hear that admitting you have a problem is the first step towards recovery. Well I am finding myself putting a bar in my second bedroom, driving to local thrift stores to seek out treasure, and buying a lot of rum, pineapple juice, and coconut creme... and yes, I did indeed drive over to the local BigLots store to score my very own Pele statue.

I have actually been 'into' tiki for a long time but only recently got into it in a big way due to the influence of another TC member who I shall not yet name... but who has his own tiki bar and an incredible collection of tiki!

I will do my best to add some value and comedy here...

Mahalo!

[ Edited by: Blowfish 2006-03-17 09:33 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 4279 replies