Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Official Introductions Thread. New Members, Post your introduction here...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 4,279 replies

BAT

Aloha everyone! I've been lurking around for a while as well and thought it was time I'd drop a post and say hi. I know there are some fellow los angeles folk on here and my drooling bastard name over at the Tonga Hut is The Bear Jew :D

[ Edited by: Big Al Tiki 2012-05-31 07:03 ]

Welcome all you new Tikiphiles to TC!

I would like you to take a moment and consider your "Tiki Central name"
when you sign up to be a member, You will be known as this name on the TC forums
and if you attend Tiki events you will be called by it, So put some thought into
coming up with that new handle, Be creative!

S

Hey- I joined a week or two ago. I've been a fan of Tiki / Exotica / Surf for a long time, but just recently decided to join in on the conversation. I think I originally discovered this site from konakai.com a long time ago?

Greetings to all the Groovy Tiki Cats & Tiki Kittens out there!

My beautiful wife, Commander & Chief of the HepCat household, stumbled across TO12 and we knew we were destined to join the fun.

We're ditching the kittens, hopping on a plane, and can't wait to dive into the wonder of all that is Tiki.

Cheers - Mark & Janice, the Los Gatos Hep Cats.

Hi, I just found this board... I love tiki culture... that'x about it!

T

All I can say is gabbagabba we accept you one of us.

O

hello hello!

grew up in so cal, have always been a faux polynesian fan...
also love esquivel, yma sumac, martin denny, and the like.
nice to meet all of you, see you in the forums. (and at tiki oasis)

-parker

Hello! I've been collecting tikis for about a year now and I've been lurking this site for a while now. I decided it's time to sign up. I've never been to Hawaii or the Pacific islands but I sure hope to some day. Thank you to everyone for all the great information that you provide!

M

i suppose i've been lurking long enough.
howdy, i'm keith, aka muskrat.
long time fan of tiki culture (as well as many other cultures).
i'm working on building a tiki bar to bring back the memories i had as a wee lad going to sunday night dinners at ''albert's tiki village'' in sacramento as well as the occasional special outing to ''the coral reef''
i've enjoyed getting ideas from the folks on this site and look forward to meeting some of you in the nor-cal area some time.
-k-
muskrat

Howdy gang,
I've been lurking here now for, oh, 5 or so years. I'm Eric and am pretty weak at picking forum names. I'm from Massachusetts, as you likely could guess, and have been a tiki/exotica junkie since I was about 4 years old, I'm 36 now. I've got a few carvings under my belt and am currently rebuilding my bar on a much grander scale. So yeah, aloha and it's been a great journey with you all so far!

KIA ORA from New Zealand,one of the most polynesian populated country in the world,we do have the Maori who were the first people to live in this country,and they are skilled carvers,and we do have our own tiki from green stone to bone and wood,im keen on the retro movement ,im trying do fix a carved wooden tiki lamp thats in the typical souvenir style,my grand dad had it for awhile,

G'day Folks....I'm another newbie from the South Coast of NSW in Australia (Downunder). Took up carving as therapy and completed 10 pieces to date. Had some great feedback but lots to learn huh? Apart from carving I enjoy riding my Triumph motorcycle and restoring my 1950 Cadillac Ol Skool Kustom.

Cheers, Greg aka Southern Man

Hello all, I'm Noah from Maine. Fish Canoe will be the name of my home bar when it exists, now it's just some chunks of wood with a few mugs and such. Maybe it's not a proper home bar until it has a sign of its own. I'll get started on that right away.

R
Roru posted on Tue, Jun 26, 2012 3:41 PM

Hi, I am roru. I really like Paipo's tiki-pebble-pendants. I like them so much that I have started carving my own tikis out of pebbles :)

I've been lurking the paipo threads a lot, it's about time I signed up and posted some pictures of my stuff. Hopefully I will get feedback that will ultimately make me a better carver.

Aloha! Stumbled upon Tiki Central while researching the history of one of my Tikis. Nice to find such a large community that share the same interest that I do. See you all around!

U

Hello everyone. I'm Captain Tony's wife. I got sucked in to his fascination with all things tiki and now our 'habit' has taken over our entire (tiny) house. I've lurked for years, but finally decided to sign up and be a part of the group. I look forward to many discussions with everyone as our obsession gets further out of hand. Thank you for all the knowledge I've already gained spending long, anonymous hours clicking on 'just one more' topic.

Hi everybody, I realized I didn't do a formal meet and greet before I started posting. This is a SWEET forum, I have been looking and searching for things over the last 2 yrs before I decided to join. I have a subtropical garden with a Koi pond that I was inspired to make when I got married in Hawaii in 2005. Since then I have been collecting Tiki and have a hut with thatch in my backyard and later this year I plan on building a permanent bar too. So nice to meet you all!

A hearty Tiki welcome to all the TC newcomers. Lot's of diversity here on the board, enjoy!!!

Hello everyone,

I've been coming here back and forth for about a year now. Recently got into the tiki thing full on last August (my wedding was tiki themed) and it's been a grand journey ever since. Got a small mug collection under construction, a few exotica LPs with more to come, and lots of lofty dreams.

Looking forward to learning and sharing.

TT

Aloha!

Many greetings to my new ohana here on Tiki Central!

Tiki Tex

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to introduce myself.

I'm a huge Disneyland fan specifically, and due to my love of the Tiki Room (which I've had since childhood), I've become a tiki fan as well. I wouldn't consider myself a big-time collector or anything, but I do have some mugs and tend to turn to tiki drinks more than any other form of cocktails. I guess more than anything I collect music, but I feel like most of you could probably put me to shame in that department too.

I love the Hawaiian culture, as well as the campiness of tiki culture and I'm very interested in seeing what this group has to offer.

:)

W

Wow! I've been lurking for a while, checking out posts and reading up, and am pretty impressed with this community. I originally did a search for tiki carving designs, because I'm a 3d designer looking for inspiration on a project for a booth we're running at a local festival. I've always been intrigued by the tiki movement/style. So .. I guess I'm just shouting out a thanks for all the fabulous information, inspiration, and awakening of a latent interest in tiki culture.

Also, I would love to hear from any folks in my area who have a similar interest. Friends of mine run a festival on the August long weekend called The Pirate Festival, in Milton. It would be fun to do a Tiki meet up there, since it's sort of congruently nautical... islandish .. sorta .. thing.

Looking forward to meeting the nice folks who post here.

-Whystler

C

I too am new to the forum. I joined up here last year at about this time. I really do appreciate all the friendship I have felt here so far. I hope to meet lots of you over the next year at some of the conventions that will be held so I can put a "face" to the names. I'm originally from Whittier, CA. but live in Evansville, IN. off & on as I travel to the Philippines and stay there for the winter/spring months doing my bar & grill business there with my wife. I have a few mugs, wood carvings, other tiki related items on my shelf now (need a bigger shelf!lol) that I find at local flea markets, thrift shops & such. I'm starting a hand-painted tiki shirt business soon, just in R&D right now. Aloha all!

Clintiki

I have O.T.D: Obsessive.Tiki.Disorder!..:)

Hey everyone! Looking forward to making new friends.

Aloha!

Longtime lurker, first time poster (who signed up just today).
I used to divert all tiki findings from thrift store runs to a friend back in the late-90s as I was fairly immune to the poly-pop.
Fast forward a dozen years and I find myself bitten by the tiki bug while vacationing on the big island (pre-Okolemaluna).
The ensuing 3 years have seen an amassing of mugs (thrift stores have been dry for years), collectibles, the wearing of aloha shirts and a desire to craft proper rum drinks (inspired by The Smugglers Cove (SF), Trader Vic's and Beachbum Berry).
I formally plant my flag here, now on next month's prospects of attending my first Tiki Oasis and the imminent closure of our local Trader Vic's (Palo Alto).

Mahalo!

Hey Everyone!

I'm new to this forum but not to Tiki culture. My husband and I live in the SF Bay area and have been interested in tiki for years. My love of tiki began before I was of drinking age. My parents loved Trader Vic's (Emeryville) when I was a kid. Since then it's developed quite a bit. Now I have a tiki bar in my house, lol. Forbidden Island (Alameda, Ca) is by far, my favorite tiki bar, I've loved it ever since it opened. Smuggler's Cove (SF) is a great bar too. I am so excited that I'm FINALLY going to Tiki Oasis this year. I have a love for Mid-Century culture as a whole but when it comes to tiki, the people are friendlier, the colors are brighter and goddammit the drinks are stronger!

Mahalo!

Shout out to all the new folks...looks like good representation for Nor-Cal. Look forward to meeting those of you going to Oasis.

Hello, my name is Spam.

Hi!

My husband and I became tiki fans a few years ago when we bought a house here in Atlanta with a tiki style bar in the basement. Nothing fancy....rattan on the base of the bar and on the wall behind it. It took a while before we started dressing it out more.
(A flood in the basement was the meant removing the carpet and fixing/repainting the walls)

I had one tiki glass and started collecting more. My in-laws live in Pensacola where you can find a couple of tiki carvers. So we started bringing home tiki carvings. The largest is probably 5 ft. tall. I guess we have 7 now, plus we've given several to friends (I'm sure they wanted one!).

We've started a tradition of hosting tiki parties in the winter months...Feb. is a good time to introduce your friends to tasty rum cocktails, cool exotica music and............monsters!

Yes, monsters. We also love monsters so our basement tiki bar is a mixture of a tiki theme and monsters. Our family business is operating a haunted house in Oct. We have some great monster artwork and sculpture and we like to mix it with our tikis. The art of Derek and Shag is a fun way to do that.

I'll post some photos soon.

On 2012-07-24 08:43, Monster Tiki wrote:

a good time to introduce your friends to tasty rum cocktails, cool exotica music and............monsters!

Yes, monsters. We also love monsters so our basement tiki bar is a mixture of a tiki theme and monsters. Our family business is operating a haunted house in Oct. We have some great monster artwork and sculpture and we like to mix it with our tikis. The art of Derek and Shag is a fun way to do that.

I'll post some photos soon.

Looking forward to seeing your photos
(another Tiki/Monster fan here)

I bid four kwaatluus on the newcomers....

Provider Number 2 bids seventeen kwaatluus!

I wager 1000 "Quatloos" they may be good additions to the Thrall games.

I also propose we unleash the Thrall upon the one called "Spams" homeworld
it should provide good entertainment!

Hail the Thrall!

Shahna is a prime Thrall! Provider WestADad, Prime Thrall indeed!
shall we order Galt to provide "Pain collars" for our new Thrall members?

W

Oh yes, collars for all! :)

Hi,
I've actually been a member since August 2011, but never posted an introduction.
My fascination with tiki started when I was kid growing up in Dallas during the 1970's. My parent's frequently drove past the Trader Vic's and I was fascinated by the giant flaming tiki torches and the huge moai standing guard out front. Alas, they wouldn't take me there because it was 'for adults'. By the time I got my driver's license the place had already closed and I no longer lived there when it briefly reopened.
Fast forward 30+ years and I now live in Long Beach, CA. Dallas is a tiki desert compared to the tiki wonderland of So Cal. I've been like a kid in a candy store exploring all of the cool places with my thankfully bemused girlfriend.
My first event I went to was the inaugural Tiki Highway last year where I bought my first 2 Tiki Farm mugs. Since then I've put together a collection of new and vintage mugs, tiki and nautical decorations, masks and tropical paintings. It's my sanctuary after a stressful day at work.
-Lori

W

Welcome to TikiCentral Lori!

Aloha all! I've actually used this site for years. Contributing on occasion, but mostly researching things to satisfy my poly pop obsession. I lost/forgot my original login info, so I decided it was time to start a new account as well as finally introduce myself formally. I have an extensive media collection on the subject and am more than happy to help anyone out that may be looking for info/photos or whatever else you may be seeking. Glad to be here amongst you good people and don't hesitate to ask if I can help you out with anything. Mahalo my friends!

Hi Tiki People,
I've enjoyed the forum for awhile and thought it was time to join. I was initiated into the tiki lifestyle a few years ago by some good friends and now officially have the sickness. Can't wait for my 2nd Tiki Oasis in a few weeks here in SD. See you there!

K

Let's avoid any possible confusion between newbie KRAKEN TIM and myself,
just plain KRAKEN. We're different fellows altogether.

For starters, we're from widely separated parts of California. I'm now from
Martinez, just a few dozen miles upriver from San Francisco; birthplace of
Joe Dimagio, longtime home of naturalist John Muir, and point of origin
of the Martinez Cocktail, now called the Martini. You may also remember
Martinez as the site of the late, lamented Aloha Club.

Our drinking habits no doubt differ, too. I, kraken, had to face the fact
recently that I definitely need certain medicines that are incompatible with
alcohol. So, no more Mai Tais, Zombies and the like, except for no-alcohol
versions. It's hard to find no-alcohol tiki drinks that are worth drinking, so
I spend more and more time with my other favorite beverage, exotic and
hard to find oriental teas.

Finally, our on-line personalities seem to differ. The other guy, kraken tim,
introduces himself as Mr. Nice Guy all the way. My temperament is variable.

Kraken, while I don't have any alcohol restrictions, I have found that non-alcoholic drinks, when done well, are also quite good in a different sense than traditional cocktails. Non-alcoholic drink recipe books are out there, and it sure is an eye-opener when you find a good "honest" non-alcoholic beverage that doesn't rely on high-fructose corn syrup, artificial flavorings, and other shortcuts. It's always worth pursuing the "real" and "fresh" ingredients.

Mahalo all,

Bronzetiki (Karl) here. I've followed the forum a long time and became a member last year but overlooked the introductions posting step....

A little about me: I wish I could say I grew up around tiki and polynesian hotspots but unfortunately grew up and still live in the midwest. How did I become a fan of tiki art and culture? I'll say that I grew up enjoying south seas and polynesian movies and art
.... but if you buy me a drink I'll confess watching Gilligan's Island may have had something to do with it too.

I've collected tiki mugs and other art over the years (much of it from artists on this forum or about whom I learned on this forum) in an effort to feather my tiki sanctuary.

My forum name comes from the fact that I'm a hack artist and cast sculpture in bronze, iron, and aluminum.

Because of my desperate geographic disability (the Midwest) I often sign my posts 'Marooned in the Midwest.' In fact, it was only this year that I was able to travel to a bonafide tiki event - The July 15 International Tiki Marketplace. I really enjoyed the event, the location, and all the artists and TC members I met. Hopefully just the first of many future events I can get to.

Cheers to everyone and my sincere appreciation to those who have made and sustain this forum (more like an island society than just a forum!)

Bronzetiki (Karl)

K

AceExplorer has a good point there. I've sampled non-alcoholic tiki drinks
mainly at places that served good cocktails of the alcoholic variety because
I didn't know where else to look. Can anyone in the San Francisco Bay area
suggest places to find alcohol-free tiki cocktails that are above mediocre?

B

Bruce here. Hence the B in BDogTiki.

Im in San Jose California (Bay Area) and also have a home in Northern Nevada - Outside of Lake Tahoe!

Have been to the islands 3 times over the last few years and have regretted leaving when my vacation is over. :(
It was on one of the recent trips that I started to see the different styles of tiki's. Since they opitomize the island lifestyle that I enjoy and covet I figure that expanding my knowledge would be a good thing!
Always loved the tiki -tiki room at Disneyland and my father worked on the Televison Lot where Gilligans Island was filmed. I remember as a child he drove us all down to the "lagoon" and exposed to us that it was all contained in a small area with elaborate set dressing and props. This was a huge lifting of the veil on one of my favorite shows at the time and it really expanded my horizons.

All of the props were a delight with their Island flavor and Tiki's!

I am now on a "kick" to try and understand and learn about the art of tiki carving. As I grow older I find that things that take skill and time are challenging to me and help to allow me to relax. It is this prospect of relaxation from the designing and carving aspects that I want to experience. Oh, and the added benefit of some kick ass tiki's to display / sell / give is a nice incentive as well.

I look forward to making some great tiki connections and sharing all things tiki. I hope to learn a great deal from others on this site about all aspects of tiki and share a common bond with those who possess a similar interest!

[ Edited by: BDogTiki 2012-07-31 16:46 ]

A

Inro on - Raised on a houseboat in the Caribean, I was a tourist-trap snob who assumed the Mai-Kai was just one of "those." Shamefully, I worked directly across the street and never visited.

One thing led to another, I had my first Mai-Kai experience and was hooked! I live in Oakland Park, (the actual home of the Mai-Kai, as opposed to Fort Lauderdale) and I visit as often as I can! Fast forward to today, I have just completed a Mai-Kai historical article for the "Broward Legacy," a publication put out by the Broward County Historical Commission.

Love this site - I was able to confirm or deny some of the tall tales and stories I've heard and want to thank one and all! The article will give much deserved credit to Tikiroom.com.

Aesallee, the Mai Kai shunned, the Mai Kai loved - the evolution of Tiki right there, and a good way to get converted eventually :) . Is there a link where one can read the article you wrote?

As a heads up, this upcoming book (October/November) will a have whole chapter on the Mai Kai in it:

http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Dining-Discovering-Mid-Century-Restaurants/dp/1423607406/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1343834575&sr=1-1&keywords=Classic+dining

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 4279 replies