Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Wendy Cevola - New colors of the Frank mug by Frankoma now available.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 10,816 replies

Looks like you had a good journey down here. Thanks for stopping by to say hi! Looking forward to chatting with you at Oasis. Feel free to stop by our room party. It is on Saturday from 2-4 (don't know which room yet). We are having an art show as well as drinks.

T

Welcome to San Diego! Wait, did you guys already go to the Bali Hai for your annual lunch?!?!?

lunavideogames you know what I forgot? I didn't get a photo of you wearing the Tramp Stamp necklace. I need one. It was fun to see you at your business.

TikiAno yes we did, photos below. See you soon. Don't let me forget to take the photo after you choose your necklace.

==========================

If you are coming to Tiki Oasis there is an additional stop worth making. 10 minutes away is the town of Ocean Beach. At the antique mall on Newport Blvd. Matt Tiki Man Willis has so many tikis for sale it's a real attraction.

Just when you think you have seen it all you travel along the back wall and come to this second huge area. Happy shopping!

Yes TikiAno we made it to the Bali Hai yesterday. I can look back for 10 years of standing at this tiki.

We had a window seat and

enjoyed the view of San Diego. Lunch was great.

We didn't remember these paintings so I had a photo op.

Later in the day we made our first trip to visit Buzzy and to see his collection.

I got to see the tikis that will soon leave for Las Vegas and the Golden Tiki. That's another place we haven't seen yet.

Here Buzzy is holding a drum he carved. It has a great tone. Be sure to check out Buzzy's unique art.

A perfect trip so far. Cheers, Wendy

In 1999 our neighbor dumped their cat at the SPCA. We went and rescued her and re-named her Sherry.

We put her at the vet's to stay while were are at Tiki Oasis 16. He just called us to say that she
had a hair ball that she got up but the next morning she developed breathing problems and before
they could do an x-ray she passed away. We will miss her horribly. We are having a good cry tonight
but tomorrow we will buck up and enjoy seeing all our friends. Hug your pet today. Wendy

H
Heath posted on Wed, Aug 17, 2016 6:47 PM

You have my deepest sympathies.

T

Wendy (& Dan), so sorry for your loss. I just saw the news on Facebook, too. Extra hugs for you tomorrow!

You gave Sherry a wonderful home after rescuing her, which is an amazingly great thing to do.

See you soon.

D
Danno posted on Thu, Aug 18, 2016 8:06 AM

So sorry for your loss.

Heath, TikiAno,and Danno your messages are very much appreciated.

Kelly sent this photo to me. Love it.

================================

I finished glazing the rest of the wedding mugs for Nate Kranda and Shannon.

FIred.

Scrubbed and rinsed.

Some of the new mugs ready to glaze.

He requested two in raspberry. This is a hard glaze color to find because just a bit of too much red will throw it off. I choose a Duncan Cover Coat under-glaze and covered the entire outside with it.

Next I did the tapa lamp/torch.

Backside.

I'm always cooking up tikis in the kitchen.

There was one mug Nate left up to me to choose the colors. This will be his garage mug. Steel plates in grey with dark silver screws.

I did do the eyes in black.

These are all wedding mugs.

These are the four lamp/torches which are for sale.

Also for sale is this morning after Tiki Bob. He ate and drank too much at Tiki Oasis 16 and is saying Whoa is me!

This time around I could risk the noses running so all the glazing was done with CN under-glaze which self glosses. It also allowed me to paint on the swords after the fact. So I have extras in case those with names have a problem. He bought these anyway so I hope they turn out.

White Cover Coat 2 layers.

Drying outside between coats.

Clear glaze 3 layers with drying between.

The two raspberry mugs had to be completely covered with clear. I sure hope the color is close enough.

Final drying before they go into the kiln.

Bottom shelf. No crowding since I don't have anything else to fire.

Top shelf. These were all starting to cool as we drove off to Tiki Oasis 16.

I hope to see many of you in the next three days. We always go home on Sunday to beat the LA traffic.

I'm feeling much better now and Dan's OK too. Cheers, Wendy

Oh, I am so sorry to hear about Sherry. You have my sympathy.

I hope you're able to enjoy a wonderful Weekend.

J

Don't forget to take pictures of the super secret special moment! I'm very excited!

bamalamalu thank you. It's been good to have the distraction. So many friends to hug is a really big help.

JenTiki I haven't seen her yet. I am so lucky to be a part of your gift. I've told Dan to take lots of photos.

Cheers, Wendy

Oh no
So sorry you two

Big hug soon

hang10tiki thank you for the hugs today.

===============================

After a rough night we got up at 6 am got ready and went out to breakfast in Old Town San Diego.

After a long walk the shops opened and they even had tikis. However this big guy was $150. I bet there will be better bargains at Tiki Oasis 16.

In the lobby I met King Kong. We got along fine until he...

grabbed me!!!

This is one heck of a party, I don't know where this is headed, ha ha ha.

We were first in line to get our wrist bands. Treg came by to show us his baby. We had a fun visit.

Otto came at the opening bell and we all hooted and hollered.

Then it was down to business, give us our wrist bands.

Later in the day we went to Treg's aka lunavideogames home for a small party. hang10tiki, Janelle and Tuvara Tiki were there.

After a quick trip to Bali Hai we were back at the hotel for a dinner at the Islands.

The party really starts up tomorrow. Cheers, Wendy

Catch up photos while I'm here at Tiki Oasis 16 with Dan.

Out of the molds I cut and cleaned them up.

I cast two bowls. The one on the left will become the blue tiki bowl I've already shared and the one on the right will cause me days of extra work.

I learned a lot from this HUGE bowl. If a crack, no matter how fine, appears you can't fix it. It's a stress crack. The sides of my bowl were thicker than the bottom. Even though I was drying it slowly the crack happened. I tried for days to fix the crack. It would appear to be gone and then come back.

I had to just remove the entire bottom from the bowl to save the sides.

I cleaned it and prepped it and started to carve.

I divided up the top and

carved in the design snd I did a brush and water clean up of the carving. This rounds the edges.

This is either the top or bottom.

I decided to make holes as part of the design but also to allow this to be a hanging lamp or a bottom of a HUGE Maroi lamp where the cord would come out of a hole.

The top shown here would be the bottom of a hanging lamp or

where the HUGE tiki would sit.

It great to have options. Now as the only piece I have that has not bisque fired it will sit on a shelf. I dry it for an hour then cover it for several. I will not let this crack again!

Today the Tiki Oasis 16 party is at the hotel. I'm waiting for the Art Show to start at 10 am. I'm looking forward to seeing everyones art. Cheers, Wendy

J

On 2016-08-18 14:28, danlovestikis wrote:

bamalamalu thank you. It's been good to have the distraction. So many friends to hug is a really big help.

JenTiki I haven't seen her yet. I am so lucky to be a part of your gift. I've told Dan to take lots of photos.

Cheers, Wendy

I would bet she'll be at the art show today.

Jen Tiki

I saw her in the hallway running to a ride to the Bali Hai. She said she'll get back to me. We are watching for her. I went to the art show and it's in the same place as registration so the room was swamped. No sign of the lovely mermaid.

It will happen soon. Hugs, Wendy

Here are the next set of Tiki Oasis 16 photos from today, Friday the 19th.

I've never seen this fellows real face but I've seen many of his creations.

I got a kiss from little lost tiki.

No kisses but Dan got two small mugs from Woody Miller.

Loki Tiki is wearing one of my Tramp Stamp necklaces and on my other side is Rich Testke from North Dakota!

I met this married couple at lunavideogames home last night. Treg, names please.

I stopped by to see my art piece at the show. Dan missed the whole sign.

Maggie and her husband are here from Reno. They'll attend the Sacramento crawl too.

On the right screen side is Big Kahuna. It sure is fun to know what the people I know on=line look like.

Crazy Al and Dan hung out for awhile and I went to the art show again.

This time I asked what the red dot meant. SOLD! So it sold as soon as it went up.

It's hard to say goodbye to something you made. Dan always wants the Wish List mugs that he can't have. I would like to know who bought it.

Robert Jimenez I got to see your painting up close. Can I say he is beautiful?

The shopping just opened so off we go. Wendy

I'm sorry, I just take photos of people that I know and hug. The Tiki Oasis events are always in the background for us. So here are more friends.

Michael Sibbeca aka Tiki Roots Rocka and

his art.

Mary and Nelson of Mahalo Tiki selling my Zombie Torches and Tiki Bobs.

The Ax murderer has turned into Elvis.

Bob Forbearz and his wife are friends from fb.

MP whose a wonder when it comes to ceramics and black velvets.

Dan shopped at the Tiki Diablo booth.

We ran into Notche's and our friend Danny (in the middle) and his friend whose name is escaping me at the moment.

It's always great to see Bullet here and at home.

I hugged CY so long that he fell asleep in my arms.

We stopped to see what Eric October was up too. We found out he grew a moustache.

Johnny Velour was there checking out the merchandise.

Jason came clear from Hawaii. He makes terrific lamps.

Ah my dear friend and fellow ceramicist TikiAno.

Dan found a couple more things he needed.

Tiki Vato sells at Marketplace in Long Beach, don't forget to check it out if you attend.

No Tiki Oasis is fun without my Sven Kirsten hug. Now I can go home happy. But wait one more day ahead.

That's it for tonight. It's 7 PM time to turn in for the night and let the kids all play. Cheers, Wendy

Jen Tiki we have left Marina a message on her room phone giving her our phone number and room number, we have knocked on her door, we carried the box and walked to every place in the hotel. We are trying really hard to give her this present. I just want you to know that we are trying every thing we can think of to deliver it.

Hopefully she'll get back to us tomorrow, Wendy

Saturday Update. Still trying. More phone messages and a message left on her rooms door. She is not listed for activities today. We will keep trying.

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2016-08-20 10:40 ]

Saturday morning at Tiki Oasis 16.

I bought my first Tiki Oasis souvenir a new toothbrush. I was so happy the gift shop had them since I broke mine in half this morning.

The rest of the morning has been perfect. First a breakfast buffet at The Islands then

a chance meeting with Moai Mike in the parking lot.

I got to sneak up on Gecko and to give him a big hug. He is our number one favorite artist. We love many tiki artists but Gecko'z South Sea Arts is unique.

Here are some of his creations.

Cy's booth was in a perfect location to show off his tiki creations.

I had fun seeing Gecko'z brother Glen and the ceramic artist David Outline.

I caught Dan looking at records and CD's and

Christina hanging out at Buzzy's booth.

We just had a rest at our room and now it's time to go back out. Cheers, Wendy

TIKI OASIS 16 MId-day.

I just keep making the rounds and each time I see different friends.

This time I found Tiki Al and

and CY and

Johnny Velour and Woody and

Tiki King and

Crazy AL with Dan and Holden (owner of Tiki Farm) and

Thor.

Then I was back to say hi to Tiki Roots Rocka aka Michael Sibecca and then

I looked at all the authors of great tiki books.

Then I was off to see Bowana and

Tiki Republic and

SHAG!

At 1 PM it's time to go to the Artists Reception. That's where I'll be so come by and say hi. Cheers, Wendy

A real highlight of Tiki Oasis has been delivering a custom Hot Tub Hula Girl to Marina the fire eating mermaid. I also learned her real first name is Wendy, how fun is that?

Jen Tiki ordered this for her friend and the reaction I got made me just laugh with glee.

She rushed out to take photos that she could post for her fans.

Right after she got her mug she was off to the next act. Posing for other artists.

This is one happy artist. Thank you Jen Tiki!

TIKI OASIS 16 THE ARTISTS RECEPTION. This is so the artists can visit with each other and anyone else that is interested.

On the way there I ran into Chris.

It was time for photos. First with little lost tiki and Miss Tiki Oasis 16.

Dan got a hug from little lost tiki (Ken Ruzic) also.

I got a big hug from Big Toe.

Here's the first artists group photo.

I ran over to registration to say hi to Atomichick and Fabio.

Doug Horne

AtomiKitty

Kenneth Hall

The second group shot.

Otto VonStroheim the inventor of Tiki Oasis with his wife babydoe.

? and Gogo and myself.

Time for lunch. We ran into Buddy and his wife at the Islands. Fingers crossed that the Jungle Bird Tiki bar will open in time for the Sacramento Crawl.

TIKI OASIS 16 the last walk.

You never know what you will find around the corner.

Dan almost lost his head.

Next to go on stage.

What a huge audience.

The party was over for us when we heard a knock at the door.

MadDogMike and Teresa.

Atomichick and Fabio.

Janelle and hang10tiki

Joanne and Jama.

Myself and Dan.

A surprise party with so many people that we LOVE!!!

Why TC turned us upside down I do not know.

A wonderful way to end a special vacation. Cheers, we are going to sleep now, Wendy and Dan

Wendy,

Thank you for the fun photos!

J

Thank you so much for keeping my secret and delivering the surprise to Marina! I can tell she really loved it. I'm so happy it worked out, and I really appreciate all your efforts to make sure she got it!

MaukaHale you are so welcome. I didn't get many event photos because I concentrate on seeing my friends and collecting hugs. It was wonderful.

JenTiki you really made her so happy. I just wish you could have heard her scream. She is such a fun person. Last year She helped me eat fire and this year I got to deliver your gift. I can only hope that next year is this much fun.

=====================================

Jen Tiki decided that she wanted her friend Marina the Fire Eating Mermaid to have a special mug in her honor.

Jen Tiki told me all the special custom additions to be added to one of my Hot Tub Hula Girl Mugs. So I went to work.

Sanded, missed the dusting photo, forgive me please.

The firing is done and now it's time

to scrub the mugs.

All the steps to glaze the inside of the bowl to look like water. But first the inside must be damp or it will suck up an entire jar of glaze.

It takes this many glazes to do a Hot Tub Hula Girl.

Here's a sampling of all the glazing steps.

Into the kiln with all the other projects.

Cooled and ready to unload.

Now it was time to do the finishing touches to the hair and face.

I hope I did Marina justice.

After drying for 24 or more hours the enamel is set by baking in the oven at 325 degrees and 45 minutes.

All done and ready to box to take to Marina at Tiki Oasis as shown above.

Jen Tiki I thank YOU for allowing me to create your gift.

Cheers everyone, Wendy

J

Thanks again for making the special HTHG and delivering it. It was fun to know you had such a special project happening that only I knew about. Of course, I got to see a lot of the steps along the way, but it's fun to see them all in one place. Mission accomplished!

Wendy, Great to see you! Thanks for stopping by my house. Great job on the Marina mug, it looks great!

Those friends of mine are Brandon and Heather, I don't think that they are on TC. Notch's friend is Danny Cervantes or D. Cerva as he signs his mugs he makes.

JenTiki, very nice gift and a great idea for Marina!

Great to see you guys at Oasis

Thanks for all the goodies

Here are my Thursday pics

Friday pics

Wendy and Dan, this year was my first time vending at Oasis. Not only was I awestruck by how many well known artists were there but became excited with anticipation when I read that you guys were going to be there. Very glad I got to meet you guys.
Making it to one of the Sacramento Crawls is on my to do list so count on me running into you again. Working for a major airline will make that happen sooner than later.

Pierre from Tiki Republic.

Wendy,

Although I was watching the TO events from home via Facebook I had to come on TC to see your recaps which are the best! And thanks Jon for your pictures too. One day I'll make it to California and get my own mug.

Thanks again for allowing me to live vicariously through you both!

Tiki Republic you come to one of our crawls and we'll greet you with open arms and a tour of the tiki crazy homes of Northern California. It was really fun to meet you.

LoriLovesTiki you do that. We all love to show our collections to people who appreciate them.

hang10tiki thank you for the first couple of days of fun, where are the rest???

===================================

I can show off the presents from hang10tiki. He brought Dan a Trader Vic's mug a Frankie's shot glass and swizzle.

Polynesian Paddy gave Dan the Lattitude 20 bucket mug.

I traded 3 necklaces with Woody for two of his shot glasses.

TikiAno gave us some hot chocolate from his company which we love and he gave me this clay carving tool.

lunavideogames threw a party and passed out personalized swizzles. He let me hold his baby too. He had a surprise for me at Tiki Oasis which is a secret, but not from Dan.

Thank you to all our tiki buddies that just made this a very memorable trip. I just feel so loved and happy when we are with you all.

We needed you to keep up our spirts when we were told of our cats passing. We saw the vet when we got home and he said that he needed to figure out why our old but healthy cat suddenly passed away. He took x-rays and found that she had bowel cancer. It hadn't obstructed her so she hadn't yet had pain or symptoms. We were lucky it was so fast and that just days before she was leaping after butterflies.

I'll be back posting after I get organized. Cheers, Wendy

Saturday

hang10tiki looks like we were having the same fun times at Tiki Oasis. Keep those photos coming. Please.

===============================

Well guess what the Wedding Mugs are done along with a mug for Arutro, and four lamps for Jason S.

Fingers crossed I opened the kiln. The top shelf looked good and

so did the bottom shelf.

I checked as I unloaded them and

put them on trays. NO runny noses. CN glazes are the best for Tiki Bob's. IN glazes just want to run.

Dan did the heavy lifting for me and took them into the house.

The zombie mugs now have their replacements.

Here are all the wedding mugs together now

we can box them for pick up.

The lamps were shipped today and

will be in Hawaii soon for Jason to finish off.

Now I can concentrate on the run of Hot Tub Hula Girls and the Sacramento Crawl mugs.
There's never time to stop working and that's how I like it. Work or travel.

Cheers, Wendy

T

Wendy, great seeing you and Dan (briefly) during Oasis. Jon, great photos- and great seeing you guys as well!

Love the Bob Army, and glad the wedding Bobs turned out un-zombie like.

That's all my pics
We left early Sunday

The kiln is open and bammmm
Lotso Bob's.....
Awesome

Great to see you Wendy and Dan! You should come visit more often!

The Bobs all look great!! Especially love the orange lamp ones!

Yesterday I was finally able to give Marci here custom Alibi Fogcutter mug! She absolutely loved it!!

She had us make her a cocktail in it!

Thank you so much again for squeezing this in for me!!

TikiAno you and Treg are so lucky to have sons to play with and to be able to guide them through life. I know you are wonderful dads.

hang10tiki we were up at 4 am and on the road before 5 am. We missed all the traffic. I hope the airport wasn't too crowded. We are going to homeland security in October to get our TSA passes. I hope my fingerprints don't get me sent back to my homeland of Tikisville.

lunavideogames Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I can remember how good it felt to hold him. He'll grow fast so get in lots of those moments.

=============================

CATCH UP PHOTOS

Once again I needed to go back to Alpha Fired Arts for more glaze. My favorite place to shop.

Then we stopped at a thrift store and actually found something wonderful. This is Dan's "I can't believe I found this", face.

Still had the Japan sticker.

It's the 2nd largest barrel mug in his collection. We didn't even know this existed.

He is so happy.

Psycho Tiki D came by for a visit and he and Dan hung out in the man cave long enough for a photo.

Dan got two super heavy tikis at Tiki Oasis and put them in the family room.

The tiki gift from Tiki Hula balanced out the look.

When I glaze this is my view. I don't mind being in this spot all day long.

Wow we got to be in the latest issue of Tiki Magazine because our friend Polynesian Paddy sent these photos for consideration. Yippy.

Bora Bora is so tiny that you can see it all in a few hours. We were on the way back to the ship when this was taken.

Polynesian Paddy and I at the Oprah House in Sydney Austrlia. We did the tour along with his wife Barbara. Dan was back at the hotel with jet lag.

I'm glazing the Hot Tub Hula Girls each day. Soon I'll post photos of the Sacramento Crawl mug. Cheers, Wendy

Dan-0
CongraDs on the mug find

Dig those pics of u guys in the mag

Love this pic

DixonAlibi we were posting at the same time so I didn't find your photos until just now. Thank you so much. What fun it is to see the birthday party. Now I feel like I was there. This made it very special.

hang10tiki you really do need to visit us.

Back up one page to see The ALibi birthday party for the owners daughter and her with the mug I made for DixonAlibi.

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2016-08-27 09:33 ]

Yes we do

Today was a wonderful day. The wedding mugs are done and today I took final photos for Nate and then boxed them up.

All total I had 32 mugs to box up.

I took photos to send to him and then

I got the boxes that Dan had taped together.

I used peanuts and on each box I added the name of the mug and the color.

They didn't want the boxes taped shut so I used three rubber bands for each box.

It wasn't fast work but one by one I got them done.

I kept them upside down to remove some stress from the rubber bands.

I had a large box so I put in two layers and

then cut the box to fit and taped it closed.

I need to find one more box to fit all of this and then they are all ready to pick up. He has a Hot Tub Hula Girl I am working on and a Sacramento Crawl mug.

It feels so good to complete a project with time to spare.

Cheers, Wendy

I almost forgot.

Dan found the place for our swap art to hang.

Thank you ErichTroudt for a wonderful addition to the danlovestikis collection.

Cheers, Wendy

Done wit weddiN Bob's
They look great Wendy
I'm sure they will be a hit

That's a great lookin wall
ETs piece fits right in

:)

hang10tiki and all my friends. I have been working harder than ever before. I had great plans to post tonight but I'm just too tired.
I hope to post tomorrow. I have so much to share.

Hugs, Wendy

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 10816 replies