Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Wendy Cevola - New colors of the Frank mug by Frankoma now available.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 10,816 replies

8FT Tiki thank you. When we went to Europe in 2013 I thought it was considerate that all the signs showed me the way personally. I would love to have you post a photo here of your sign. I did what you suggested.

This was bought in Greece by friends and given to me recently. So cool.

===============================

Progress Report for Wish List #6

I'm starting with some items that I needed to do because of "sort of" deadlines.
The first is a mug I made for my nephew for Christmas and it's late. His initials are BMW
so I put them twice on a fogcutter mug.

=====================

These are Wedding mugs and a surprise. Because of that I can't show the backside where the couples names are located.

Future mug makers always remember that glazes require 3 layers and sometimes 5 when the green clear glaze is added.

A Groom and Bride mug with matching flowers. Names on the back.

After painting much of the groom in black CN glaze I did the face in a straight CC glaze.

For the bride I used a cc glaze all over.

Three layers later they are happy.

I did the flower in 2 CN glazes, one light and one dark yellow in the recesses.

Now all the CC under-glazes must be covered with Clear Brilliance by Duncan. This is the only clear glaze that I've found that doesn't make the black run. Finger crossed.

All done.

The couple were not yet engaged when I carved the mugs so the best I could do was to leave a spot on the bottom where the wedding date could be written with a felt pen.

Three mugs down many more to go. I'm looking forward to firing the first load. Cheers, Wendy

Hi busy lady
Well here are our 2 trips to La Mariana
My all time favorite place to be

Steelers won :)

Worst sound ever, slurp of an empty tiki mug through my straw!!!

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2016-01-10 01:28 ]

hang10tiki you are the best! Love love loved all the photos and the two of you. La Mariana is looking fresh and well cared for in these photos. I relieved many memories of being there with Gecko and his family. I am so happy to have these posted here for sharing. We will bring you and Sew Tiki a small (in comparison) thank you gift for all the time and effort you put into these photos. Thank you very much.

==============================

Dan and I went to an antique sale 20 minutes from our home.

We parked and looked into a dark window and found the Spawn cookie factory in full swing.

The sale was mostly real antiques so imagine how happy Dan was

when he found these for $12.50. Success! We also ran into a couple of friends and that's even better.

I swear that I never vote for myself so it's really special that some of you do this for us.
It really helps get new people to watch here and to learn all the steps that I've learned over the years.
Thank you voters very much.

This photo was taken the night before I did kingstiedye's mug. I wanted to post it to show the start of glazing but I forgot until now.
Oh well.

================================

I'm continuing on doing the projects that I either want to get out of the way or have a deadline.
This is the Swap mug that is due in February so it needs to be done ASAP.

The art is to be based on a season. I chose the Season of Love in Outer Space.

Duncan has started selling the crystals and you can put them into any glaze you want to add streaks too.

I put a lot of those crystals into the glaze. I hope it worked out well.

I have a tiki friend coming over today to supervise the glazing of his mug. I share that soon.
Cheers, Wendy

Today would have been a day to celebrate Joniece Frank's birthday. She passed away on September 30th, 2015.
She was my friend. She gave me the copy write to the Frankoma tiki line for which I will always thank her and honor her with only good use of her creations. Thank you dear friend.

At the end of sculpting with Wish List I had a few casts left over. To honor my friend her is what I made with her little tiki.

When I made the tiki bowl for Jen Tiki I removed the bottom of one bowl to use the sides. I saved the bottom. In the end I had four bowl bottoms to use for this project.

I've already shown the steps to get here now comes the glazing and placing the tikis which will fuse to the disk as the glaze melts.

Wish List #6 update

When the earthquake struck Napa, California this past year Savage Tiki lost many of his mugs. I replaces a blue crawl mug for him as a gift and then he asked me to repair the large chip on the top of this crawl mug.

I didn't know if I could make it disappear so instead I'm doing a experiment. First I filled and sanded Magic Mend into the missing piece.

Then I did three layers of the original brown over the mended area.

I let it dry and then started adding a whole different glaze which is white with black spots.

This was Dan's wish. He'll take Eric's mug is it turns out.

Ready to dry.

==============================

What about poor Eric? Well I'm replacing his mug with an exact copy right down to the number on the bottom.

My Wish is that I make two men happy with these. The Frankoma Wall Plaques are for sale, $75 each plus shipping.

Cheers, Wendy

Wendy, glad you got through the whole wish list! I hope your holidays were fun. Looks like you had a fun time on your cruise.

Emily and I have been busy...

Cole Alexander Derry was born December 8th at 11:26 PM. Our first child. He is excited to start his mug collection and to get some Wendy mugs :)

Here is a picture I took just for your thread, I have not posted or shown it to anyone else. This is his first visit to Bali Hai. He has been twice now. I don't want to post too many pictures of him on the internet, I feel like he will have most of his life documented as it is, but I wanted you to get a chance to see him.

Keep up the great work Wendy! Hang10 have fun in Hawaii!!!

lunavideogames what a beautiful boy. You can tell he's a boy too. Do you think he looks like hang10tiki?
Thank you so much for sharing him with all of us. I think he may prefer milk to that huge glass of tropical drink. At least until his bones are stronger. You are a lucky man.

===========================

I promise to post tomorrow. I finished a super hard to glaze mug for Cole Unger. It's the Rat Fink holding a moai head mug. I worked so hard today that I need to just go to bed.

I hope you all have a great nights sleep, Wendy

Wow
I missed a lot

Dan-0s finds
The sewing post was Kool, Wahine looking over my shoulder
Treg- lil one looks so happy at the Bali
Frankoma updates
Mug repairs
Wow the fun goes on and on

Well
You asked for it
So

Here's day 1

hang10tiki so cool. Where are you staying? I recognize so many of the places and we haven't been there in many years. Gecko did a lot of art for The Tikis. Are you visiting him? I think you look like Treg's baby boy. Both cuties. I'm happy that Sew Tiki took a look at my sewing project. Now it's time to post again.
All the fun you are sharing just makes me smile.

==========================

The Sacramento Ohana will recognize the name Cole Unger. He's one of our group. He ordered a Rat Fink and I added the Moai mug. Here are the steps.

One more view before I started.

Each color is applied in 3 to 4 layers plus touch ups. I use Cover Coat by Duncan. You can cover black with white, it is that good.

Next the black.

Now the pink gums, yellow teeth and red tongue.

Now the grey moai mug and rocks.

Meet Cole. He watched me glaze for 4 1/2 hours on day one. I still had 3 more on the next day to complete the glazing.

Next the 3 layers of yellow. Day one is over and I'm beat. I had a wonderful day visiting with Cole.

Day two. It's time to go over every spot and to try to perfect the lines.

Here I'm covering some yellow glaze that ran onto the ears.

Sometimes the areas needing glaze are so tight you need to drip glaze on and then push it into place using gravity. The more I touch up the more I end up doing.

Fine tuning the tips of the finger.

All done and posing. Now I let it dry overnight.

Day three. Now it was time to cover it all with Clear Brilliance by Duncan. This is the only clear I've found that doesn't make underglazes run.

All done and ready to dry.

Glazing Rat Finks always takes a very long time but when it works it feels to good.

Cheers, Wendy

PS Thank you hang10tiki, don't stop

Man that Rat Fink mug is Hella Cool!

W- stayin at Hilton Hawaiian Village this time

RatFinkMug what ATP said, that's awesome

Day 2 pics

International Market Place
Sad :(

T

Wendy, wow, seeing all of those different underglazes on the Rat Fink made me think, "whoa.... so glad you're doing that rather than me!!" :wink:

Jon, have fun out there. Though they're not "tiki," I highly recommend Bill's Waikiki for breakfast/ lunch/ cocktails (anything, really- so good) and/or Goofy Cafe for killer breakfast (and right near your hotel).

Okay, endorsement time over. Man, though I could go for some of Bill's eggs right now. Ridiculously good.

Ano- we did have fun :)

Day 3

Day 4

Thrift store
Tons of Hawaiian shirts

Sorry, iPhone not waterproof
:)

Day 5

hang10tiki thank you for keeping the thread active when I don't have something done to post. We snorkeled in that bay and I got bit on the knuckle by a fish. I hope you saw many of them. Is it true that you can't feed the fish or wear sun block any longer?

========================

This time last year I had the Sacramento 2015 Crawl mug sculpted and molded. This year pickings were slim and I went on a search so I could get started. Here's the hunt.

Dan and I went to the Sacramento Library downtown. Parking $7.

There is a room dedicated to Sacramento.

Not only do they have this huge room, the room is surrounded by storage. They helped us for hours.

We asked to start with the oldest phone books they had. These are stacks. So very thin.

The oldest we could access was from 1908. I wanted to see if my grandfather was in the book. He always said he had one of the first phones in Sacramento.

I found both him and my great-grandfather in this book. Maybe he didn't exaggerate. The Liberian said that the 1907 phone books covered 3 STATES not cities but STATES! Then the phone took off. Now we all have one in our pockets! My relatives are the 2 Dawson's at the bottom of the page.

We found these in the later phone books but I'd used them all for the past mugs.

2010 to 2015 Crawl mugs.

In the end I found better information on Tiki Central for this year. We couldn't find ads for some of the mugs I'd made or had matchbooks for, which is funny because these things had phone numbers.

I can only guess they opened too late for the current phone book that year and closed before the next one was issued. I believe that this was what happened with the Sacramento Tiki Bob bar.

I did find one surprise in the phone books and that one I'll use for next year. I am starting this years sculpture and right now it's a secret.

Cheers, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2016-01-15 08:16 ]

I just posted and you beat me hang10tiki. What a wonderful trip you are having. I'm sure enjoying it vicariously! Wendy

Not sure about the sunscreen
We had it on

Love the old phone book history and photos

Day 6

Last day :(

So hard to leave

Posted all our treasures brought back under
Collecting tiki
"tiki finds"

Worst sound ever, slurp of an empty tiki mug through my straw!!!

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2016-01-16 10:26 ]

hang10tiki it's hard to know these wonderful photos will stop. I'll go check out Collecting Tiki.
Thank you so much for all the wonderful photos including those of two of my favorite people.

Wish List #6 the next set of secret wedding mugs made to order.

First I used a classic Tiki Bob body color called Roasted Pepper by Duncan.

Always three or more layers.

I tried really hard to get the edges right but some black moved onto the shirt.

I used a stick to scrape is off and then

I used a clean stick to paint the off white onto the shirt.

All the layers of color are on but as they dried they became lighter.

It's hard to see the green leaves and mix of off white and navy blue flowers. Oh well.

The last step was to put on the two layers of clear.

Two mugs done and many more to go.

Cheers, Wendy

Those look great
Love Bobs tie

hang10tiki welcome back home. We didn't miss you but now we will miss the posts from Oahu! Actually we miss you all the time. I saw your "finds" and the bumatay vase is an outstanding one, very rare and valuable. Congratulations on a safe trip with the love of your life and bringing home more tiki treasures.

============================

Glazing away...

When making the Wish List I had a mug failure. I cut it up and made the largest Tiki Bob necklace so far.

Bisque fired.

I always use white undercoat on the faces so that they are super white. When doing this I decided

to have Tiki Bob look sleepy.

I covered him with clear glaze and then decided to do an experiment.

I covered the IN glaze with the clear. I want to see how it effects the IN glaze.

Here's a little bit about my search for my niche in the art world.

I bought tank and rods and flux and all that was needed to be an oxygen acetylene torch welder. I made sail boats with copper sails and people fishing etc. Here I did a Maestro conducting. I broke off the bottoms that held him on a wooden block. I even had a router to do the edges of the wood.

That was not fun work. After a couple of years I started painting again and eventually found ceramics.

Happy Sunday, Wendy

S

do you have pictures of the finished rat fink? would love to see it - cole also is a friend of a friend of some of my hot rod buddies here in tulsa!

stevekh as soon as the Rat Fink is out of the kiln I will be posting it here. I post everything that I make. That should be this week.

================================

I hope to have photos ready later today of Psycho Tiki D's KISS mugs.

Cheers, Wendy

Wish List #6 the glazing continues with the 4 KISS mugs for Psycho Tiki D.

To prevent cracks I do a pre-heat and a 13.5 hour slow ramp and a slow cool down until the kiln is close to the same temperature as outside. Even still once in awhile I have mugs that crack. Last Wish List it was a Rat Fink mug for Jason in Australia. This time it's these two mugs. They are thick and hopefully the cracks will remain stable. I can't charge for them but I will still finish them for PTD.

First I glaze the insides and

let them dry overnight.

The next day I did all the red and black detail on the faces.

I let them dry for an hour or so.

Now I did 3 layers of white on the faces and let these dry overnight.

You can actually see in these photos that the white under-glaze is better than the white of the clay.

Next all the black is needed to be done on the front and back. 3 Layers.

3rd layer on the last mug. Now they need to dry overnight again.

2 layers of clear and soon they'll go to the kiln.

I think this was a super cool idea. Thank you PTD for having me make them.
Sorry the two cracked.
I actually ran into Gene Simmons at the Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas. He was in
full costume with only one body guard walking down a hallway. I was too
stunned to remember my camera, what a bummer.

Cheers, Wendy

Great pics!

Can't wait to see the KISS mugs fired!

Atomicchick thank you with a smile.

LoriLovesTiki Tiki Bob was so perfect for those mugs. I'm surprised that it didn't happen sooner.

======================

Ever hear of the cursed tiki? Well I have a cursed volcano bowl. No I just made a mistake and had to work hard to hopefully fix it.

This is the bowl I made out of the parts when my first attempt to do Jen Tiki's, little lost tiki's bowl failed.

I picked out my favorite green/brown glaze and started on the bottom.

After I used one little jar I found all the other little jars were dried out. So I dug them out of the little jars and put them in a big jar with water and mixed them for a long time until creamy.

Always make your bisque ware damp before glazing. I sprayed it a couple of times but since the bowl was

so thick it wasn't enough. I did my 3 layers and quit for the night.

The next day I found the glaze had cracked and

was even peeling off.

I thought I would try to salvage the glaze that was on it by spraying and rubbing the glaze. It looked good so I went onto the rest of the bowl.

First I did a water colored bottom so that the volcano is an island.

Then I painted a flat black on top half of the bowl.

I covered it so that it would dry slowly overnight.

The next day I started adding a glaze that is

like lava to all the tops of the volcanos.

The last thing I did was add some red flowing lava coming out of each volcano.

Two days later when it was all dry the bottom was a mess of cracks. These will not melt together in the kiln. Instead they will pull apart further. So I scrapped it all off.

I scrubbed it with a sponge and really got it soaking wet.

Then I did 2 layers one day and

one more layer another.

It dried and this time it didn't crack. It's now waiting to go into the kiln. I have no idea if it will make it or not.

Cheers, Wendy

Just catching up on your thread Wendy and really love the detail in the Rat Fink mug, the great facial expressions of the KISS Tiki Bob mugs, and am sure the cursed tiki bowl will turn out great under your tutelage!

Hang10Tiki, love the photos! Especially your Day 6 pics...the Maori in your 3rd group of pics look incredible. If you dont mind could you please share where these are located? Were these on Oahu? Thanks for sharing.

TyberTiki

Wendy- hope the color sticks

Tyber- 2nd floor of

In Waikiki

Here he is again

Saw his twin on Craigslist a long time ago
Disappeared before I had a chance to buy it
:(

T

Man, Jon, you must buy all those picture frames in bulk! Wow...

Wendy, my fingers are crossed w/ you regarding the volcano bowl. Is it possible that the reconstituted glaze was too thick (or not evenly mixed) for using?

Thanks for all the posting! I'm out of town but will post some photos for you soon...! :)

Wow Hang10Tiki, those Maori are simply amazing! Cant believe I've walked by that Sheraton a number of times without stopping in. Thanks for sharing!

Tyber Tiki

Tyber Tiki

TyberTiki thank you so much. This Wish List has had many fun projects plus a few I threw into the mix. I really enjoy doing all of these.

hang10tiki what a terrific trip. I love that tiki too.

TikiAno I've had to reconstitute a lot of glaze and this problem was new. I think it really came down to the cast needing to be wetter before the glaze was painted on. If it falls off in the kiln then I'll have to say I was wrong and that you thought up some good reasons for the failure.

Tyber Tiki I made one more lamp that will show up during this Wish List. I haven't picked a color for it yet. I'm always so happy that you asked me to make him.

Wish List #6 progress report.

I loaded the kiln.

Bottom layer.

Top layer.

I didn't have room for the volcano bowl.

Three days later I opened the kiln. Top layer.

Bottom layer.

Now I need to get out the black velvet and to take some photos. Good night, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2016-01-21 20:24 ]

Love it when you open the lid

hang10tiki me too. Then I hold my breath as I check each one to see if it's OK. I already know that two of Psycho Tiki D's KISS mugs have cracked. I just hoped the other two were fine.

=============================

Here goes the first batch of Misc. plus the Wish List #6 projects.

Shoot I just remembered that I wanted to do one thing before posting. I'll be back later. Wendy

Wendy,

Cracks, schmacks, this will be used only for display and I am so happy that you were able to fulfill this wish x's 4 for me. I know that KISS is not everyone's. o' tea but I like them. Now I need to figure out what else I need. Perhaps a Bowie "Ziggy Stardust" Bob mug? I think I will continue request my rock star favorites.

Thanks so much again,

Duane

Psycho Tiki D this one's for you!

Wish List #6 first out are the 4 KISS mugs

These were made for Duane Orzol and two cracked when bisque fired. So far they are the only failures. This is why I never take money ahead. It only takes a small trapped air bubble to cause a fracture. Since there isn't really a set now I can only charge for Gene Simmons because he's a stand alone kind of guy. The other three are free.

Out of the kiln.

The two that cracked, center forheads, one clear down the nose.

I painted over the cracks with black gloss paint but the cracks still showed up.

The names were carved but next I added enamel paint into the depressions.

I painted these with a straight pen.

Done.

Posing.

These were really fun to do because they were a perfect Tiki Bob conversion. Come and get them PTD.

Cheers, Wendy

T

Wendy, those are awesome!

Can't wait to see the Ziggy Stardust one... to be... :wink:

We took inspiration from Jon and got outta town. I have to say, traveling with a little one changes EVERYTHING.

Here's the first tiki we saw... (in the hotel)

And the first chocolate haupia pie slice....

Tiki Ari hasn't been thrilled at being in the car, so I couldn't drive out to see the big surf at Peahi, but we made it to Honolua Bay- the swell was blocked a bit by the land, but it was an okay size...

For Jon, a 1944 Mai Tai- tasty, but a bit of a fail using full ice cubes rather than crushed...

And a very large Ku (w/ Tiki Ari and the untiki wife):

Tiki Ari is getting so big! Where was that big tiki?

A
amate posted on Fri, Jan 22, 2016 7:08 PM

On 2016-01-21 20:21, danlovestikis wrote:

Three days later I opened the kiln. Top layer.

That's gotta be kind of like opening up a treasure chest!

Kiss clan look Kool

Ano- great pics, have fun......

TikiAno is this Maui? I can't tell from the photos. I love knowing you are someplace warm and enchanting.

LoriLovesTiki thank you for posting here and on facebook. I smile when I see my friends names pop up.

amate a thrill and a scary time. There are disappointments in ceramics but the successes overwhelm them. Thank you for the message.

hang10tiki what a wonderful winter for the west coast and a horror for the east coast. Let's hope that Hawaii stays a wonderful place for hundreds of years. I want the Coco Palms rebuilt.

=========================================

The Wish List #6 reveal continues. I put up more photos than necessary because this is my "cloud". If my computer is every lost then I can come here to retrieve photos that are important to me.

Out of the kiln I saw that when I covered the regular green/brown glaze the clear made it come out green.

Here's what it would have looked like.

Black Velvet front and

back.

I made this mug for my nephew as a thank you gift for a glass necklace he made for me. He is a glass artist. His initials are BMW so I put that twice on the mug.

Each line has a

different

pattern. I love this glaze.

Remember the huge missing chunk on Savage Tikis mug. I used Magic mend to re-build the area. It worked and using this spotted glaze kept it from showing up.

I made a replacement mug for Savage Tiki, he lost so much in the Napa Earthquake that making some good memories for him was important. The brown one is for him and it will have the same number as the one that broke.

Dan works for tikis and he took this one.

Savage Tiki come and get it!

This is the mug I've made for the Season's of Tiki Swap. Mine is the Season of Love since we swap in February.

It's a valentine space man or woman, I can't tell.

I made these Frankoma tiki wall disks out of left over parts from the Wish List. Dan has taken all four because he found a place in our home that needed them. I'll share that when they are hung.

Brown.

Caribbean Blue.

Lava Black which is a discontinued glaze because it has problems.

I'll just add more glaze and fire again until it sticks.

Red Sprinkles underglaze had problems too. It pulled back as if the disc was covered with dust. Maybe I forgot to wash this one?

I've been waiting to use a ceramic stain. This one is black. I soaked it into all the "skipped" places

and then all over the rest of the disk.

Once it dried I wiped off the excess. Today I will spray a ceramic fix over it to make it permanent.

This is us for sure. 2N this is a Duncan IN glaze called Expresso. A very good common tiki glaze. IN glazes accumulate and highlight the carving. It does look like your transparent glaze.

Backing up to show when all of these were removed from the kiln.

Bullet aka kingstiedye here's your mug.

I glued the tip onto the staff and then painted it with acrylic paint and then sprayed it with a matte fix.

It didn't really darken up when it fired. Come and see it. I didn't glue the staff into place in case you would like to have it clear glazed with a matte clear (which could look glossy).

Whew, that's it for today. I hope you enjoyed the photos. Now it's back to work, Wendy

Wish List #6 progress report. Two more projects done but who ordered each wedding set is still a secret!

Out of the kiln.

I saw this cup of coffee on-line and it sure looks like Tiki Bob to me.

I have one more project to show from this kiln and then it's back to glazing. I did do enough that I was able to condense everything onto one table and to put the one in the hallway away. Progress!

I came down with a really bad sore throat last night so I'm going slowly and trying to get well. I'm working on Jen Tiki's bowl that matches a Ken Ruzic aka little lost tiki painting. This is going to look really good. Dan is suffering that he can't swipe it.

It's almost 7 PM and I'm actually going to bed now. This cold has me beat up. Cheers, Wendy

Wow
Lots O goodness on 1 page
So many great colors in this batch
Great work as always

T

Feel better, Wendy!

Wow, love the glaze firing reveals. I really like how the droopy eyed Bob came out with the green glaze)- wasn't sure of his original "name." :) Part of the craziness of the kiln- not knowing what will happen. I love the glaze on the back of the Art Swap Bob- is that a Jungle Gem glaze? Very cool.

The two Bob couples are amazing, and the Zeppelin mug is AMAZING.

Lots of glazing to do, good luck!

So much good stuff and too tired to write so much.

Yes, Wendy, we were in Maui (got back tonight). Lori, that was at the Sheraton Maui- I think they roll it out for a Luau. We were walking by one day and it appeared. We stayed there for a ridiculous rate my wife got offered and had to sit through a time share presentation. She travels a lot for work so gets lots of points which made them offer her the deal.

hang10tiki thank you always.

TikiAno I gotten past the sore throat so the rest of recovery will be easy. Thank you. I looked at all of your photos on facebook today. Tiki Ari is such a doll and very photogenic. Your wife is beautiful and she gets points too? You've got it made!

Glazing is a challenge but so far the only cracks were in the two KISS mugs. I'm lucky that you all enjoy my posts because I sure do enjoy showing them to you all.

=====================
Wish List #6 Dan is at the post office shipping out the wedding mugs. It's so good to have them done in time for the weddings. Good thing I started the Wish List 4 months early.

The last mug is out of the kiln. Rat Fink holding a Moai mug.

Cole came and picked him up.

So here's my tip of the day. If you have a project like this with many colors use Duncan Cover Coat glaze. It come mostly in tiny plastic jars but some colors come in pints. 3 to 4 coats of each color. Whatever color is on top that is the color you will see. You can cover black with white, it works.

When done use 2 to 3 layers of green Brilliant clear glaze by Duncan. It's the only clear that doesn't make the Cover Coat run. I ruined a lot of Bobs before I got this right. Bob would look like Alice Cooper with the eyes running black down the face.

Back to minimal work today as I recover. Cheers, Wendy

Wow
Fink came out great
Bammmm those colors pop

Great work Wendy! Hope that you feel better soon.

I see my Octopus Bob over there... I keep checking to see if you have gotten to glazing it yet. I am excited to see how it turns out.

hang10tiki I'm getting the hang of this ceramic work. Certain glazes for certain types of work. You've got carving down and I love seeing your backyard.

lunavideogames so many projects and not enough time in a day. I have to really have my head on straight when I do your project. It's the hardest of all.

Today I'm going to just glaze some extra things that aren't tagged to anyone. If I sneeze or cough and drop something no big deal. Yours I could ruin in a blink of an eye. I do look forward to the day it fires.

You've now seen all the fired pieces and now I'm back to glazing.

Wish List #6 during the past few days leading up to my cold and then during I cold I managed to finish glazing Jen Tiki's little lost tiki bowl.

Here are the steps.

Before starting to paint I sprayed the bisque with water until the whole bowl was moist. This helps the glaze to stick. It's called capillary action in the ceramic books. Think of donating blood and when they stick your finger and use a capillary tube to collect the blood.

I let the glaze firm up before putting on the next layer. 3 total.

I did the same with the bottom and then with the glaze that covered most of the bowl.

The birds have so many nooks and crannies that I turned the bowl over and over again so

that I didn't miss any areas. The top lip of the bowl will be glazed last since I keep turning the bowl over.

The next color goes on and then

the next layer of that color.

Then again until they all have 3 layers.

Then the red goes on and

then the orange. I added some rings around the eyes and

around all the decorations of the bowl.

Now it will sit and dry while I continue to glaze enough for a load.
It will have brighter colors when it fires. Dan loves this bowl as do I,
thank you Jen for asking Ken and I about making it.

==================================

Psycho Tiki D came to pick up his 4 KISS mugs. I wore a face mask and didn't hug him.
In case you didn't know he is responsible for my starting into ceramics in 2010.
He asked me to make a Sacramento Crawl mug and so I had to decided if I wanted to do
this art form or not. Prior to that I sculpted works like the Bloody Maori and Gecko
produced them for me. Did I want to do all the work myself? I did! Thank you Duane.

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2016-01-26 08:18 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 10816 replies