Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Crafts

Wendy Cevola - New colors of the Frank mug by Frankoma now available.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 10,816 replies

C
cy posted on Fri, Oct 25, 2013 2:16 PM

She's beautiful Wendy, great work!

I think I'm in love!

F

Amazing work, Wendy! The detailed touches like the skirt designs and the lei really aded something nice.

Great work on repairing the poor girl after her frontal lobotomy.
She's another beautiful sister hula girl!
~kele

TikiAno it's a really great tool. Some people prefer to use a fork. I'm so glad you like them.

hang10tiki I really like the word Wow, please use it whenever you feel like it. Dan has your recordings finished and we played them in the car for the past two days to check them out. Very fun. I've fallen in love with the Hawaiian chants.

cy I wish Tiki Kon were here and we were on our way to see you now. Thank you.

Big Kahuna she's very flattered.

finky099 welcome, I hope you stick around and have some fun with all of us. Playing with clay is joyful.

WaikikianMoeKele I'm so happy that it became visible otherwise her head would have blow up in the kiln.

===========================================================

It's Friday night and here's some Goofy photos to celebrate the weekend.

Dan had a sore throat for four days so I took him to the doctor. He's fine and it went away by the next day. No cold just a coffee burn.

We were on the road and when we stopped the car in front of me had my initials. Wendy Eve Cevola

jdseeks came from San Jose to pick up his crawl mug so he was given a tour of the collection.

Tiki Hula stopped by to help me with my computer and got lost in the tiki jungle.

===============================================================

We were meeting up with friends to celebrate ones birthday. On the way we went to the gold rush town of Auburn, CA.
We went through all the antique store.

We only saw these Libby mugs, which we didn't buy.

I really like these small towns. We went to many of them this year.

No more mugs and it was time to hike back to the car.

=========================================================

Today I had an appointment downtown. When it was over we went for a walk.
This is the entrance to Sutter's Fort.

Here's what it looks like from the outside.

Here's the inside. We have been going here since we were children.

Along our walk we saw some cars being restored.

little lost tiki calls me his art sister, here's another of our relatives.

======================================================================

Back to tikis.

It's time to fix these up and get them bisque fired.

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend. Cheers, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2013-10-25 21:43 ]

Wow :)
Livin the life
Great pics
Can't wait to hear the music
Ready for your visit in November
You will not leave empty handed :) :) :)

Jon

That suffering tiki bob is too cool :)

Wow thanks for the photo Wendy. What a blast from the past - this was just a couple months after we moved to Sacramento. Seems like a long time ago but in some ways it doesn't. Is his shop still there? Wonder if he ever sold those 15 foot witco support poles...

and I'm always on call for all your computer support needs :)

Great Picture from the past Mike. So good to have our Tiki Ohana.

Wendy...loving that Suffering Bastard!!!

hang10tiki only three weeks away. The trip will be here faster than imagined because I have so much tiki work to do.

Matt Helm I've been converting Bob's for a long time but MP gets credit for coming up with this one. I'm just glad I can play with clay every day.

TikiHula we lost touch with Bo. He's seen by Duane and others at the under the XY freeway antique sale often. He may know.
I just got a notice that they ordered parts for my table top. It's taking them a long time so I'm really glad I'm set up with this laptop. You may come over whether I need computer help or not.

VampiressRN Cool! The crawl was so over the top good. Thank you!

=======================================================================

Time to get back to work.

All the projects have dried and now it was time to sand them. Clay shrinks as it dries so I checked out the volcano to see it its size was still right for its bowl.

As I sand I watch for tiny holes and if I find them I open them up and fill them with Magic Mend.

For curved areas this sandpaper with a sponge back works really well.

When checking the photo of the album art (for the swap) I noticed I'd missed the snake on the pole so I added it.

Not only did I sand this mug I carved some detail deeper.

I also cut up this type of sandpaper for small areas.

I sanded Bastard Bob and

lunavideogames Ween mug.

The last mug I took down from the shelf was lunavideogames Buffy mug.

As I started to sand it I looked inside and saw this horrendous crack. OH NO!

My mugs are very thick and I could see that this only went half way through. I used long handled tools and dug and dug until the crack no longer showed. Then I used a wet brush up and down to make sure there wasn't any part of the crack left. Then I added some Magic mend to the brush and put some on the wet area. Fingers crossed that it was enough.

Back to work. I hope you have a wonderful day. Wendy

Wendy,

Your posts are so informative! Thanks for the detailed pictures. Today I learned that you can still carve when the mug is bone dry! You're an excellent teacher. I wish I lived in CA, I'd sign up for mugmaking 101 if you offered it!

Detail detail detail
Lots of great work going on over there

Jon

LoriLovesTiki thank you Lori. I had a bunch of these blank mugs dry out and I let my best friend carve and glaze them. Then it dawned on me that maybe I could turn one into a tiki mug. The swap taught me something valuable. I may cast and dry more out in the future.

hang10tiki three weeks until we spend time in the Honu Hideaway. I'm getting really excited. We've been everywhere in Las Vegas except to your home. You'll be the new attraction for us and our friends.

===============================================================================

Back to the days work.
Trial and error is the best teacher of all. I found that using the air compressor before doing the bisque fire is very important. Any dust that is left behind turns to cement when water is added. It becomes really hard to remove. Especially if you have a mug that is too small for a hand to fit. Any of this wet dust that doesn't come off will make a huge glaze skip. Re-glazing and re-firing raises the cost for making mugs.

So after learning NOT to skip this part we do all surfaces inside and out.

This is one of Dan's, will work for tikis, tasks.

lunavideogames wedding gift mug for the bride.

I couldn't decide what photo to post so I did them both.

lunavideogames wedding gift mug for the groom.

Each item starts on one tray and after dusting is placed on a clean tray.

I'll be doing these Tiki Bob necklaces in lots of colors.

Close up before dusting.

The Album cover swap mug.

Angle one of the volcano.

Angle two.

20 Tiki Bob necklaces to dust front and back.

Air compressors also open up any hidden air bubbles and then I can repair them.
I had Dan do an extra good job on the inside of lunavideogames Bride mug to see if he could get the crack to come
back. It did not show up so the next test will be the bisque fire.

Back to work. Cheers, Wendy

Thanks Wendy. I hope the crack will not be an issue. That's too bad that it had to happen :(

Missed you and Dan at the International Tiki Marketplace this weekend. It looks like you were having fun anyway though.

I'm really growing fond of the Tiki Bob necklaces.

& I love the mini tikis on the volcano.

Another beautiful day in Wendy & Dan's neighborhood.

~kele

lunavideogames the air compressor didn't reveal any crack however firing it could bring it back. Check out the next step below.
I wish we could go to all the Marketplace events, this time we had a party to attend that we couldn't' miss.

WaikikianMoeKele I like those little tikis too, enough to do some again in the future. The Bob necklaces will be a bear to glaze.

==========================================================================

We are waiting for HB TIKI to arrive with his wife. We hope to take them to see Mahalo Tiki's store.

Meanwhile here's a tiki update.

After dusting I loaded the bottom of the kiln with tikis to bisque fire.

Dry raw clay.

Done firing and cool.

Dry raw clay which can be stacked so there are two layers on this shelf.

Done firing and cool.

Next step is to unload the kiln.

As each piece came out I would examine it for cracks.

lunavideogames wedding mugs were the most important pieces in the kiln.
Front.

Back.

Nothing had blown off and when I looked inside the mug, NO CRACK. Next it will have to make it through the glaze fire.

Dan's "will work for tikis" Bastard Bob.

The album cover swap mug.

Hula girl.

The volcano for the Tiki Island bowl.

No catastrophes and I'm so happy and ready to get on to the next step.

Cheers, Wendy

Cool, glad to hear that the repair survived. Hopefully it will make it through the glazing as easily.

They all came out great
The kiln brings out the great detail

Jon

Be sure no one else gets Dan-O's mask
I saw the last one up on EBay
:wink:

Well guess what. I had another secret contest. I decided that whoever posted closest to my 700,000 views mark would win one of my Tiki Bob necklaces. hang10tiki you are always so kind to post so often. I'm happy that you have won the prize. Guess what I'll bring it to you when we visit in a few weeks. What's your favorite color?

=========================================================================

It's been so nice to work when its not cold outside. I'm sad that winter is starting up and washing in these buckets will make my arms go numb. But this time is was pretty much fun.

This is another of Dan's "will work for tikis" chores. He sets up the space and then I go to work.

One is the scrubbing bucket of water and the other is for rinsing.

No too many big pieces but a double layer of Tiki Bob's.

The vegetable brush is the best for the outside and the sponge is the best I've found for the inside. The first time I use this sponge it comes loose. I use household goop glue and that makes it stick well forever.

Dan returns after a while and carries it all into the house.

I wait 24 hours and then I start to glaze.

Thank you all for visiting and making my numbers rise. I hope you'll all write messages too. I love hearing from you all.
Cheers, Wendy

Wendy! You are a WIZARDess with Everything you do! happy halloween and Thanks for sharing so much with all of us!
Big Hugs!
:)

Whatttttttt
No wayyyyyyyy
Sweettttttttttttttttttttttt
I was thinking how cool those look and that I had to get one....

Thank you sooooooooo much

Awesome

Can't wait to see you guys.....

Jon

T

Wendy, I WILL post pics of the awesome/ groovy/ ginormous Sac Crawl mug, I will.....

Thanks for making (and shipping) it, it's a great one.... and, yes, LARGE.

Happy Halloween! (Jon, time to get Photoshoppin'!)

Watch out people....
I hear that this guy is grabbing all your candy when you open the door.
And he has multiple costumes

Grog's costumes are far more frighting then those, he had the creepiest horror clown, last year!
I hate clowns.....

I am so far behind today because a dear friend kingtiedyes called and we went over to visit. I know I'm spelling it wrong because I can't search it. Brook, help!

little lost tiki I was just showing the painting I got from you at Oasis to HB Tiki. He and his wife were here for a visit. He brought me one of his custom frames. I'm going to do a painting for it this winter. Thank you for all the joy you have brought us all with your art. Big hugs for you too, Wendy

HB Tiki and his wife Margie. We love having them stop by to visit the tiki jungle room.

They had been on a tiki road trip and Dan benefited because Roger sold him this vintage bumatay bowl which he loves.

hang10tiki yooooooooooooooooooooou are welcome. I thank all of you who post often on my thread. I wake up and run to see if I have any messages or comments. My favorite part of the day.

TikiAno goooooooooooooooood! I like to see where my art ends up. Thank you for reminding hang10tiki to photoshop.

hang10tiki this one is perfect horror but with a cute twist...GROG. I'm watching for him.

Atomic Tiki Punk what about Bozo?

=====================================================

I will have to play catch up. The door bell will be ringing soon.

On a walk in downtown Sacramento we found these to pose in front of...

In 2012 Buzzy posed for this photo on the balcony looking over Tiki Oasis vendors. It now hangs in the Buzzy bedroom with the rest of his pinups.

Time for tricker treaters. Until tomorrow. Have a safe night, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2013-10-31 18:05 ]

Happy Halloween! Looks like you are having some fun times!

The wings are very appropriate.
You & Dan are both angels!
(~~)
~kele

Dig the wings
But don't let Dan-0 fly off, he's to much help to let get away

If any of you dressed up for Halloween and took photos I'd love to see them here in the next few days.

lunavideogames I hope you had some fun tonight.

WaikikianMoeKele I'm blushing.

hang10tiki you are so right, he's a keeper.

It's a school night so the streets are now clear and quiet. I forgot to post this earlier. This is a few blocks from our home.

Cheers, Wendy

Big spiders in your neighborhood

Glad I bought tons of candy for both kids that came by :(
Grog- feel free to stop by n take it all

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2013-11-01 06:57 ]

hang10tiki has GROG shown up yet???

======================================

kingstiedye returns. A couple of years ago Brook/kingstiedye and his wife Sandy moved and we lost touch. But a few days ago he gave us a call and the next day we jumped in the car and went for a visit. During the time we were apart he transformed their new living space into a tiki paradise. We had just fun. There were more rooms than I documented here. What I was most impressed with was his pendant collection. He found a way to perfectly display it. We had a great time.

He is unofficially a member of Duck Dynasty. He grew his beard in 2 years. It took less time for him to stack tikis to surround his doorframe.

As an avid sports fan he has a lot of his collection to view during the commercials.

Even near his front door there is a wonderful collection.

It's really fun for me to see art that I've done in collectors homes. I did a face of Gecko and a rat fink for him years ago.

An unusual ceiling allowed Brook to hang pendants all the way around.

He has them in wood, bone and jade.

There are other areas as well, this is above the TV.

Brooks wife made a "live story" quilt for Brook that has all of his interests and milestones commemorated.

Close up you can see the tikis.

On one of his Gecko shelves he has my Bloody Maori. When he got it he came to my home to have it autographed (my first) and that is how we met.

Two Bosko's we'd never seen before.

Brooks favorite area, TV sports and tikis.

I posed with Brook while he held the 2012 Sacramento Crawl mug I made.

As we left we passed under more of the awesome pendants.

We love visiting with Brook and next week he'll bring Sandy to our home for a visit.

See you soon Brook, Wendy

=======================================================================================

I like to think of this mug as having been made from nothing. It isn't a tiki that I've carved to make it fancy. It started as a plane tube and by carving it turned into an album cover for the December swap.

I glazed the inside in glossy black and gold.
On the outside I used pottery coat a flat black.

I let it sit until it dried.

Using wet paper towels I removed glaze from the surfaces that I wanted exposed.

Now I let this dry again for a day.

======================================================

I hope you all had a fun Halloween, cheers, Wendy

[ Edited by: danlovestikis 2013-11-01 15:44 ]

WoW! kingstiedye has an amazing house & amazing collections!
It's so cool that you got to see your creations displayed in such a wonderful setting.
Album Cover Swap mug is progressing nicely. I have finally chosen a cover & started now.
Our Halloween was quiet, but pleasant. Great pics on FB of one of my granddaughters & youngest grandson. (they live in Michigan)
~kele

C

I looove your thread Wendy, even when it's "out of order" little weird parties happen :D!

Kingstiedye has a huge collection...awesome

Nope, didn't see grog yet...
But
We are on a road trip to San Diego
Stopped by the China Inn for lunch in PB to have a few tiki drinks
Recommended by Max at Taboo island
I saw something that made my think of you
A 4 foot ceramic post on the bar
Now that would make a great HUGE mug :)
Off to the Bali Hai at 7pm to meet up with a couple friends
Mai-Tais to flow

The big bamboo ceramic post, I thought of a Wendy massive mug...

Suffering Bastard

Mai-Tai

WaikikianMoeKele he does and its in a lot of rooms.
I'm so happy that you found a great project for the swap.
Can you link me to your fb page?

Clarita thank you for being a welcome guest and writing on my thread party. I appreciate it.

hang10tiki where's GROG???
It's fun to share kingstiedye's collection with you all. He gave me permission to post the photos.
A road trip to San Diego? I want to go too. We love the Bali Hai.
In what city is this China Inn located?

Not a single Halloween post ): of you all in your costumes.

=======================================================

I finished the glazing of the December Swap mug.

Not a perfect match but at least it shows where the inspiration came from.

========================================================

Mahalo Tiki just hung 9 Scrap Art paintings that I've done prior to starting my tiki art. These photos were flipped by Tiki Central and are upside down. I'll have to visit the store soon to take some more photos. It's wonderful to have Nelson and Mary to sell my art.

Each of these are done with hundreds of torn bits of paint. I could never wipe off a palette and waste the paint. Instead I let it dry and then pealed it off and stuck it on a canvas. It took years but in the end I would have a painting.

From the opposite end.

Here's a section close up.

=========================================================

Night off. Have fun and I hope you'll be back soon, Wendy

Wendy...you and I were just talking about Brook at the crawl and wondering how he was doing. How awesome that he contacted you and has is fabulous collection displayed so uniquely. Glad to see Brook back.

Love that mug....gorgeous!!!!

T

Yeah, I think I asked you about him to too just after the crawl. I hope he is doing well and I'm glad he moved into a space big enough for his collection. He has an amazing one! Say aloha for me when you see him.

China inn is in Pacific Beach

Fixed them for you

cool! i never saw wendy's scrap art before. sumpin else she kicks ass at! that shelf below them is screaming for some tiki mugs though. :)

Wendy,
We received our Sac Crawl mug in the mail safely--so happy to add this tiki to our collection. Thanks for offering sales to people outside of the area. We certainly appreciated you shipping it to us across the many miles!

Wendy, I hate to see you sad ): Here's a picture at Teresa's elementary school carnival

Your Art Swap mug looks great, can't wait to see it finished

VampiressRN we got his ears burning and he called. It's wonderful to have him back. I'm so happy you like the mug.

TikiHula I think you just said hello to him because he's just posted.

hang10tiki oh thank you so much. They are weird to begin with but even weirder upside down. I'm so happy you are a fixer!

kingstiedye you are a doll. Thank you for posting here. I hope you'll have fun on TC with all your friends.

mondo-by-the-bay I'm so happy to hear it made the journey safely. We don't mind shipping at all.

MadDogMike look how cute you two are. She got her man!!! Give her a hug for us if the warden will allow it.

============================================================================

I love shopping for glaze. Each time I find something new I have to do glaze tests. That way I know how it will look on my projects. I just did these.

=================================================================
Now it's time to glaze my delux hula girl. I use Concepts where are under-glazes that actually have a gloss after firing without painting a clear coating on them.

Each color must be applied 3 times. First flesh.

Black for the hair.

Red for the flower and waistband.

Yellow for the skirt and flowers stamen.

Pink for the nipples.

After this fires I will use enamel to add the face and other details to the skirt etc.

===============================================================
Aaron Brothers was having a canvas sale, 2 for 1. So I bought a canvas that perfectly fit the frame that HB Tiki gave to me as a present. Now I'll start a painting this winter. I have two black velvets ready too. Thank you HB.

=======================================================

I hope your Sunday is warmer than ours. I like 80 and it's 60 outside with a fast wind. Cheers, Wendy

Wahine lookin good

Your paint mosaics are beautiful!

The delux hula girl is looking great!

60s sounds great, our temp today was in the low 40s with gusting cold winds.

I'll send you a pm with fb info.

~kele

hang10tiki thank you, I hope she stays that way.

WaikikianMoeKele thank you. I'm looking forward to seeing you work on your album swap art.

================================================

A few years back I made mugs based on the Lanai in San Mateo, CA. There are 3 tikis and the Hawaiian words on the bottom under each one say Eat Drink and be Merry. Well one of them that I made for Dan had the glaze start to pop off. If any of you have anything I've made that had problems please contact me so I can fix it.

Here's how I fixed Dan's mug.

I love old dental tools.

I just tried my best to pick off any glaze that would come off. Then I rubbed it all over with a wire brush.

I scrubbed the mug and let it dry overnight. Then I picked a grey sparkle glaze to use.

I painted three layers

on all the tikis.

I turned it upside down and checked all the tikis for missed areas. Then I filled in the words with this same glaze and touched up the bottom rim with the satin red.

Now it waits until it is kiln time.

====================================================

While I'm on a roll I got the last crawl mug that I hadn't glazed and covered it in the same sparkle glaze.

Then I got one of the glaze test crawl mugs that looked bad and covered it with another color. It's really easy to cover and existing glaze with another one. It's risky because if the glaze is too thick it can run but it also can make a whole new color.

This is what I choose for the mug.

Starting.

I just did two layers since it had three in brown.

That's it for today. Cheers, Wendy

I find your mug rescues quite informative.
Before seeing your thread, I would have thought that a mug that got damaged was done for.
But you are the mug doctor! (mug whisperer? lol)
~kele

Dr Wendy
Your wanted in surgery.....
Dr Wendy
To the OR stat....

T

Looking good, Wendy. Love that Lotus glaze! It looks like lichen covered rock to me.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 10816 replies