Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Oasis 2nd Annual Room Crawl... Let's get it on!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 176 replies

On 2006-04-27 12:20, Aaron's Akua wrote:
Monkeyman & A-A (with lovely wife Nina) will be co-hosting Saturday from 2-4 pm. Monkeypods will be served.

MMMMMMMMMM...Monkeypods

Aloha Room Hosts & Crawlers!

I am working on the finalization of the crawl cards. I should have the final up by Tuesday or Wednesday.

At this point I have a count of 97 crawlers and 11 Bar/Room Hosts.

I am going to Office Depot tonight to stock up on printer ink and plastic sleeves.

Come find me on Thurs. evening in the Islands Room, the Bar at the Hanalei Hotel, WersmoDrincs and Doctor Z's. I will be back at the Hanalei Hotel starting at about noon on Friday. I will have badges for Room Hosts, spare crawl cards for those with printing difficulties and plastic sleeves and ribbon while supplies last!

I am looking forward to seeing you all and hoisting a few with you all!

Mahalo,
Shell in the Pacific

WOOOOOOHOOOOOO!!! 4 More Days!! I Hope Everyone is Resting Up. Spermy: Are you ready for some WooHoo Juice? Mean Gene: The Royal Hawaiian's Lapu Lapu awaits your arrivel :)

DZ

Just to make sure we get in before the deadline to be added on the card, Pandora and I will be serving "Pandora's Kiss" for the Crawl. Not sure exactly when, but we will be hosting at some point on Friday or Saturday. We'll let you know on Thursday!
:drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

On 2006-05-01 19:46, Doctor Z wrote:
Just to make sure we get in before the deadline to be added on the card, Pandora and I will be serving "Pandora's Kiss" for the Crawl. Not sure exactly when, but we will be hosting at some point on Friday or Saturday. We'll let you know on Thursday!

No Pandora's Beach Bomber?

M

97 crawlers..... holy cow !!!!

somebodys gonna be thirsty....

come on folks.... take a chance... we need more room hosts.

[ Edited by: Monkeyman 2006-05-01 20:38 ]

H

On 2006-05-01 17:40, Shell in the Pacific wrote:

...I am working on the finalization of the crawl cards. I should have the final up by Tuesday or Wednesday...

Shell, I didn't see this on the crawl cards you posted so far, so... If possible, can you leave a space so that people can write in their Tiki Central name? This way the crawl cards will double as name tags(like last years).

D

I will have badges for Room Hosts, spare crawl cards for those with printing difficulties and plastic sleeves and ribbon while supplies last!

thanks, cuz i saved the picture and printed it. and it was bigger than 4"x6", rather large.. i couldnt figure what i was doing wrong..

Whoa that is a lot of stumblers...I mean crawlers....

what lurks in the murk?

Aloha Folks! Here it is!!!

Attempting to print is only for the brave...

If you are experiencing technical difficulties... don't sweat it! Print it, fold it, whatever, or I'll hook you up when I see you!

Mahalo,
Shell in the Pacific

H

On 2006-05-01 20:48, Hakalugi wrote:

...I am working on the finalization of the crawl cards. I should have the final up by Tuesday or Wednesday...

Shell, I didn't see this on the crawl cards you posted so far, so... If possible, can you leave a space so that people can write in their Tiki Central name? This way the crawl cards will double as name tags(like last years).

It may be too late to modify the crawl card but there is some room for people to write in their name right over the magic wand (or depending how you print and cut, along the top or bottom border).

So bring a marker, write in yr' name and don't pocket the Crawl Card, wear it! I'm sure others will agree that having these double as Tiki Central name tags is a good idea.

Yes?

My husband and I will be attending our first Tiki Oasis this weekend and we can't wait! I arranged some work in San Diego for Friday so we just have to come. We recently moved and have opened up a tiki bar in our new home. I can't tell you how much fun we are having outfitting the bar. The room was originally intended as a breakfast room, but to heck with that. We can eat in the dining room!

We'd love to get in on the crawl as crawlers, if it's still possible. Besides tipping the hosts with money or supplies, is there a fee involved?

DZ

On 2006-05-02 13:57, Brenda's Tiki Hut wrote:
Besides tipping the hosts with money or supplies, is there a fee involved?

Well, it may cost you your liver... :wink:

hey Dr. Z think the pool will be open 24hrs
stinking fence damn broken mug

DZ

On 2006-05-02 15:24, Dr. Shocker wrote:
hey Dr. Z think the pool will be open 24hrs
stinking fence damn broken mug

My Fine Doctor: I'll bring the Pringles if you bring the Bundaberg!

Would anyone like me to bring any Moxie for a mixer?

PM me if you would.

--SBiM

J

I always knew you had moxie SBiM. Wow was that a bad pun.

Hope you all have a killer time at Tiki Oasis! I so wish I was coming...

M

We'll be crawling again this year. We're local so if any of the hosts need anything just let us know and we can help you out. Happy to contribute or direct you to the nearest location for supplies.

ModMana :drink:

My dear Doctor no Bundy this year, shipment is running late....the rat bastards......but I am sure we can find somthing to fill our bellys

I'll be crawling... wish I could host -- but i think I mentioned somewhere that I can't even make coffee!

**Poly-Pop ***

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop 2006-05-03 10:40 ]

Hey Locals for everyone's benefit how about a short list of the closest liqour stores, supermarkets, and 99c stores

Excuse my newbieness, but how does this thing work? Is the card we're supposed to print out going to include room numbers and times? Do we convene somewhere prior to the crawl to get all that info? I'm a little confused, and I'm not staying at the hotel so if someone could clue me in I'd really appreciate it. Mahalo.

P

Well with time running out I am finalizing my hosting plans.

I have decided not to make Suffering Bastards again this year. I was happy with the results last year, but it is too difficult a drink to make in this venue. I have been working on re-inventing my Kava drink to work without the kava and I think I have something that works pretty well. It is a pretty standard rum and fruit drink, but has some uncommon flavors. Better yet, I can make multiple portions in a shaker. So, that is what I am going to mix. In keeping with the "SAVAGE" theme, I am keeping the old name even though it doessn't fit as well as it used to when it was a Kava based drink.

http://www.indiefilm.com/tiki/index.html

I will be able to mix a couple of others in limit quantities as well, probably Doctor Funks and Purple Jades.

I am thinking I am going to do it friday, either 1 to 3 or 2 to 4. it is going to overlap with somebody else, that seems unavoidable.

On 2006-05-03 14:45, Dr. Shocker wrote:
Hey Locals for everyone's benefit how about a short list of the closest liquor stores, supermarkets, and 99c stores

Here are just a few things I can tell you of for sure:

Ralph's Grocery
5680 MISSION CENTER
SAN DIEGO,CA 92108 US
PHONE: 619-297-2593

( about a five minute hop once you get on 8 East and head to Mission Center Road )

FOOD 4 LESS
7730 HAZARD CENTER DR
SAN DIEGO, CA 92108
Store Phone: 619-683-7760

( a bit closer as you take the Hazard Center Rd off of Mission Center )

Valley Liquor-Hotel Circle
875 Hotel Cir S - San Diego, CA
619-296-1323

( according to the Hanalei it's a minute and half away. Left out of the parking lot and under the overpass )

_____________-

Beverages & more! San Diego - Mission Valley
925A Camino de la Reina
San Diego, CA 92108

( left out of the parking lot, take Camino De La Reina and it will be in the shopping center on your right with Fuddruckers and Borders )

The Concierge at the Hanalei said they have information (maps, direction, addresses, phone numbers etc for the nearby grocery stores, liquor stores and such available at the front desk just for the asking when you check in!

Hope this helps!!

Can't wait!

TikiTikiBoom

Tonight, we will have a big feast. And then, at the end of the feast, we will climb to the top of the Big Woo, and you will jump in. Okay?

[ Edited by: TikiTikiBoom 2006-05-03 15:16 ]

Dear Dr. Miguelito,

I will be posting the latest room times probably tomorrow. (Thurs.) There is no way to know the room numbers until after people check in, so that is up to you. The word is... "mingle" and share info with each other. That is really half the fun. You will meet new people and have an excuse to introduce yourself to new people. I will be cruising around Thurs. night and all day on Fri. Come find me and I will hook you up with whatever info I have. Room hosts will be wearing special badges, so when you see one, ask for thier time & room number. Don't worry, it will be fun!

Mahalo,
Shell in the Pacific

Hey Locals for everyone's benefit how about a short list of the closest liqour stores, supermarkets, and 99c stores

Trader Joe's
1092 University Ave, San Diego, CA
(619) 296-3122
Trader Joe's
1211 Garnet Ave, San Diego, CA
(858) 483-0224

99 Cents Only Store
5931 University Ave, San Diego, CA
(619) 229-9279

P

Here is the schedule I am showing so far...

1 Weirsmo Derinc Thursday 10:30 - ?
2 Spermy/Whalerider Friday 1 - 3
3 Cheekygirl Friday 1:30 - 3:30
4 Weird Uncle Tiki Friday 2 - ?
5 Soccertiki/Woohoo Friday 2:30 - 3:30
6 Tiki Matt Friday 5 - ?
7 PiPhiRho Saturday 1 - 3 (tentative)
8 Monkeyman Saturday 2 - 4
9 Cult of the Eye Saturday 3 - 5

Any others?

On 2006-05-03 18:57, PiPhiRho wrote:

6 Tiki Matt Friday 5 - ?
8 Monkeyman & Aaron's Akua Saturday 2 - 4

Any others?

Add in Traderpup...

On 2006-03-03 21:30, Traderpup wrote:
I think I feel another typhoon season coming on!

And dogbytes...

On 2006-03-03 22:08, dogbytes wrote:
count us in to crawl..and to host! todd's created The RongoRongo Rickey, and would love to pour for our friends!

Doc Z & Pandora...

On 2006-05-01 19:46, Doctor Z wrote:
:drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

And it looks like Shell's got us all covered...

And of course there's always room for more hosts...

Anybody.... Anybody???

On 2006-05-03 18:20, freddiefreelance wrote:

Trader Joe's
(619) 296-3122
Trader Joe's
(858) 483-0224

99 Cents Only Store
(619) 229-9279

Also, if you're a Costco member, there's one at 2345 Fenton Pkwy (just west of Qualcomm Stadium).

I was at that Trader Joe's tonight, and they have Mount Gay Eclipse for $14.99. Just FYI ...

P

On 2006-05-03 21:55, Aaron's Akua wrote:

On 2006-05-03 18:57, PiPhiRho wrote:

6 Tiki Matt Friday 5 - ?
8 Monkeyman & Aaron's Akua Saturday 2 - 4

Any others?

Add in Traderpup...

And dogbytes...

Doc Z & Pandora...

And it looks like Shell's got us all covered...

And of course there's always room for more hosts...

Anybody.... Anybody???

Yeah, but none of those people have named a time yet. I am looking for a schedule of WHEN things are happening so the rest, including me, can plan.

M

In addition to TikiTikiBoom's list here are a few more liquor stores in the general vicinity of the Hanalei Hotel:

Del Mesa Liquor
6090 Friars Road
(~2 miles from the hotel)

Fuller Liquor
3896 Rosecrans
(~1.5 miles from the hotel)

Midway Wine and Spirits
3040 Midway Drive
(~2 miles from the hotel)

Of course, you'll be traveling right past Trader Morts on the way to the Bali Hai on Friday. They have a decent selection of somewhat difficult to find items. There are also 4 or 5 other liquor stores in the Shelter Island/Point Loma area. I can't personally vouch for the quality of the above stores because I haven't been to them but they are close to the hotel. The selection at BevMo in Mission Valley is pretty good but not as extensive as some of their other stores.

Looking forward to some great mixology!

ModMana :drink:

Greeting from a new member, but a long time lurker. I’ve got a group coming down to Tiki Oasis. I from Monterey, a got a cousin from San Jose, a friend from Los Angeles, and my brother who is flying in all the way from Denver! We want to be a part of the ‘tribe’ at this shindig and definitely would like to be included in the Room Crawl. We’re happy to help out anyone who is doing a room if they need assistance and or supplies. ‘Have Rum – Will Travel’

http://kelleyandthebeachcombers.com/

On 2006-05-03 23:18, DrMiguelito wrote:

On 2006-05-03 18:20, freddiefreelance wrote:

Trader Joe's
(619) 296-3122
Trader Joe's
(858) 483-0224

99 Cents Only Store
(619) 229-9279

Also, if you're a Costco member, there's one at 2345 Fenton Pkwy (just west of Qualcomm Stadium).

I was at that Trader Joe's tonight, and they have Mount Gay Eclipse for $14.99. Just FYI ...

And an FYI note to that FYI note, TJ's La Jolla has Pyrat for $7.99.

Trader Joe's
8657 Villa La Jolla Drive
La Jolla, CA 92037
(858) 546-8629
In the La Jolla Village Square shopping center, on Villa La Jolla Drive at Nobel

Please, pretty please, if there's only 2 bottles left, buy the second one, too, for Dogbytes.

Mention TC at Tader Morts, and he'll give you a discount!

Hey Beachcomber!! Aloha and welcome! Awesome time to be had at the Oasis! You and your pals are sure to LOVE it! See ya there!

And an FYI note to that FYI note, TJ's La Jolla has Pyrat for $7.99.

Trader Joe's
8657 Villa La Jolla Drive
La Jolla, CA 92037
(858) 546-8629
In the La Jolla Village Square shopping center, on Villa La Jolla Drive at Nobel

Please, pretty please, if there's only 2 bottles left, buy the second one, too, for Dogbytes.

Done.. on both counts. Now I just have to find Dogbytes somewhere this weekend!

On 2006-05-03 23:31, PiPhiRho wrote:
...I am looking for a schedule of WHEN things are happening so the rest, including me, can plan.

PiPhiRo,

When you find out let us know. You're probably there right now and we're still at home on Thursday night drinking coors light in the can and daydreaming of Doc Z Mai Tais... :( Nina & I will arrive Friday mid-morning. Looking forward to trying one of your Kava-Less Canibals!

Have fun Peeps - see you all tomorrow. We'll be fresh and ready to crawl! :) :drink: :)

A-A

D

hey.. we'll have a sign on our room that looks like this:

(we asked for room 2015, and get in on friday around 4, so maybe we'll get lucky)

PLEASE introduce yourself is you see me..i am notoriously bad at remembering names and recognizing people in a crowd..

i think we've requested to host on Saturday at noon... but check with Shell first!

Wish I was there. :( Maybe next time. I hope you all have a great time.

Well Lava Pants okayed my bartending, woo-hoo!

I am just bummed that I had to work all week and only finally now checking in! He says, "don't worry, just wear the Crawl Badge and they'll find your room!" so now I just have to get my act together early tomorrow. Yes I waited until the last minute to do everything and I've got a million things to do like pack, buy the booze do the lime juice, get the cups, buy ice, pack, drop the cat off at the boarding facility, finish a report for work. I just hope I can make it to Oasis before Friday night! I haven't decided if I will make "Pieces of Eight" or "Shunken Skulls" I've already photoshopped my name right onto the badge and printed it out! Ad my name to the Saturday afternoon host list since that day looks light on the bartending. Hope to arrive sometime Friday afternoon at Oasis.

P.S. the idea is to overlap bartending - don't look for an open slot - we want to crawl from one host to the next and in order to do that, you need several servers at the same time. Just pick a time that is already chosen!

P

Tiki Oasis is already off to a rollicking start. I got here later than I had wanted due to (among other things) a flat tire on the way. The party was in full swing at the hotel bar when I arrived. The hotel here is huge, and as I was afraid they might do they did not put all the Oasis partiers in our own are, so the first room crawl with Dave and Rebecca abd Docter Z almost got us kicked out due to multiple comlaints by non-tiki guests. The party moved to Dr. Shocker's suite, which has a full, built in bar in the suite! Looks like Cult of the Eye will be the new 135, at least for this year.

I am in room 1714 at the far end of the hotel. My crawl will be tomorrow afternoon. Now I just need to figure out how to set up a bar in here.

Mahalo's to all of you's for keeping my cool
Eli Hedley / Trader Morts Tiki Munktiki Tiki Mug, full!!!

Cult of the Eye!!! My brothers from another mother!!!
You guys ROCK!!!

( if I were to ever wear a fez, it would only be one of theirs! )

I

Mahalo to all who came by!

We had a wonderfull time. We hope to do this again next year.

Ben- Thank you for the kind words. Now take a drink and fill out an app!

Well, if I hadn't a seen it, I'd never believe it!! My husband of 19 years, who I have NEVER seen drunk, got slammed by the Crawl! This man can drink til the cows come home...usually. Thanks to that last wammy at Kick the Reverb's, he was 3 flags to the wind!
WooHoo Juice made quite a few of us pee blue! Thanks WooHoo and Soccertiki!! And your room was AWESOME!
Best freakin time I've EVER had! Thanks to all who made us feel so welcomed and shared the rum so generously!
Much love!

As Soccer Tiki and I were dismantaling our room last night we found a white sweater. If it belongs to you PM me and I will send it to you :)

P

Thanks to whoever it was that brought by the chips and guac to my room for the crawl. I have your bowls with me. Let me know how I can get them back to you.

The room crawl was quite a success this year, although it was sometimes hard to know when and where the mixing was happening or to find the rooms. Now I need a few days (week, months) of sobriety to recover from this weekend. My thanks also to all who dropped by to taste my drink. Another Tiki Oasis come and gone.

H

PiPhiro, will you post the recipe for us? It sounded real good when you were talking about it at Tiki Ti.

I think I saw Ookoo Lady bring the chips and guac to your room, PiPhiRo.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 176 replies