Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

Tiki Oasis 2nd Annual Room Crawl... Let's get it on!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 176 replies

Matt, hum....by my count, it looks like there are 8 confirmed hosts. Four of which are on Friday starting at 1:00 pm to your commenced hosting at 5:00 p.m. I say pour till we run out! :drink:

TM

My brain is fried

Where are all the room hosts??? It looks like only 8???? Is that enough to quench the thirst of thousands of Tiki Savages for two days????? WooHooWahine and I will be hosting from 2:30-3:30 on Friday (around the same time Spermy and Whale Rider said they would.)
Shell- Are you "LOST" in the Pacific??? How many days until the CRAWL????????

Aloha Bar Hosts and Fellow Crawlers!

Thank you for your interest and enthusiasm.

At this point I have 10 confirmed Room Hosts, some with times specified...

1. Dr. Shocker/ Cult of the Eye
  2. The Sperm Whale & Whale Rider Fri. 1:00
  3. Trader Pup
  4. Dogbytes
  5. PiPhiRho
  6. Tiki Matt Fri. 5:00
  7. Weird Uncle Tiki
  8. Woo Hoo Wahini & Soccer Tiki Fri. 2:30
  9. Cheeky Girl & Kaula Tiki Fri. 1:30
    10.WersmoDerinc Thurs. 10:30

There are about 60 crawlers that have responded so far.

I will post the final draft of the Crawl Card and the Bar Host badges about a week before the event. I plan on printing a bunch of Crawl Cards and bringing them with me as well as cord/ribbon & plastic sleeves.

17 days until Oasis 2006!! Looking forward to seeing you all at the Hanalei Hotel!

Mahalo,
Shell in the Pacific

[ Edited by: Shell in the Pacific 2006-04-17 16:31 ]

[ Edited by: Shell in the Pacific 2006-04-17 16:31 ]

I'd like to make another attempt at crawling this year.

Shell, please add me to your list of crawlers. I promise not to spill any drinks and crawl like a perfect gentleman this year.

mahalo nui loa - Shipwreck

H

Well against my better judgement it looks like my wife and I will again be crawling this year.

So please count us in:

Hakalugi
and
Locust of the Islands (formerly known as Don's Ho)

T

Count my wife and myself in for the crawl...

Tikitatt

[ Edited by: Tikitatt 2006-05-02 01:30 ]

Hey Shell,
Well, of course I'll be crawlin; actually crawlin' on my hands and knees by 9 p.m. like last year. I'm so excited--The Oasis happening in my old stomping grounds....San Diego Here I Come!!!!

CuzNDave

Great memories of the first.

I'm pissed I can't make Oasis this year.
Have a great time all!
Till next.

I

Hey.... I think I'm hosting! Well whatyaknow! See ya there!

[ Edited by: IKABOD 2006-04-21 12:28 ]

you are with me you dolt have another drink

T

The Mrs. and I will be crawling this year.

MG

What up Pug!..... You'll be getting your XXL MKG T this year!

Please count me in for some crawling. Somebody please make sure I don't fall asleep before the action begins. Last year I past out at 9pm on Saturday after vending all day and missed out on everything.

[ Edited by: MEAN GENE 2006-04-23 16:57 ]

T

Mean Gene,

Sure, Sure - I heard that last year. Ha Ha. I can't wait to get one. Thanx Gene.

I

On 2006-04-22 10:22, Dr. Shocker wrote:
you are with me you dolt have another drink

Oh yeah the other guy..... now whats his name?..... Can't remember.....I don't know its late.....

I'd like to be Cruller, I mean a Crawler this year.

Sabu

Responding to one of the hosts who was asking how much booze to expect to serve at a Tiki drink crawl, what you could do is limit the drinks to say a certain plastic cup size. Now you've got about 66 crawlers or so, judging by the latter posts and you've got 10 room hosts.

Lets do some math. If each station produced 10 drinks, that would cover all the guests and then some (figuring stragglers and tag-alongs) that's 100 drinks. Now, each person is having a drink at each station then, and guest what, that is 10 drinks (plus extra servings or extra drinks for the tag-alongs). Think about this: Is anyone gonna still be standing and able to go to the evening's festivities after 10 drinks? So I think it is safe to assume that the overall amount of booze needed won't come close to say maybe 10 drinks per station. Now, based on that, you could calculate how much booze you want to bring. Last time I bartended at a party, I ended up with way more lime juice than I needed (an extra 2 quarts), and I don't know how that happened so do your own math - figure how many ounces you need of each mix for each drink and multiply.

Add Lava Pants and myself (Hanalei Pirate) to the list of crawlers. I'm a lightweight and good for maybe 2 to 3 drinks max so I will only be drinking at maybe 2 or 3 stations (or perhaps I could do small samples at each). Lava Pants is just along for the ride and usually drinks beer so he won't be any kind of a load on this.

BTW, are all the drink hosts serving Friday Afternoon with no one doing this on Thursday or Saturday? If this is spread out over the 2 days, the burden on each host increases. Say you have 5 stations serving on Friday and 5 stations on Saturday: 5 stations serving 10 drinks each = 50 drinks. That's not enough to cover 66 crawlers. So each station should serve 15 to 20 drinks (total of 75 to 100 drinks per station per day to supply the 66 crawlers).

Please correct me if my math is messed up. Otherwise I'd stick with just a Friday room crawl to make it easier on the hosts. Don't forget you can instill a per person drink limit and use a small cup size for serving. And of course we will all be donating into the tip jars to defray costs on the hosts. There's my contribution to the logistics.

math at this time of morning are you mad......hehehe

This will be our first Tiki Crawl. But my husband and I would love to join. I printed out my cards already. Can't wait to make new tiki friends

so it has been decided that we will host our room 4-6 on Saturday.....

Aloha Fellow Crawlers and Room Hosts,
Here is the most updated drink card. If you are having trouble printing, no worries, I plan to print out a bunch and bring them with me to Oasis.

I will print out Room/Bar Hosts badges for all the hosts as well! See you on Thurs. night and then again on Friday & Sat.

Okohole Maluna!

Shell in the Pacific

[ Edited by: Shell in the Pacific 2006-04-24 17:23 ]

DZ

On 2006-04-24 09:08, Hanalei_Pirate wrote:
BTW, are all the drink hosts serving Friday Afternoon with no one doing this on Thursday or Saturday?

Pandora will be helping me put on my 4th Annual Thursday Night Before Oasis Room Party! We'll be servin' up Beachbum's, Mai Tai's and Lapu Lapu's (from the famous 'Lapu Tower'!) - all who arrive early and are thirsty are invited to come, but it's not officially part of the crawl. We'll be like the guinea pigs, 'cause if anyone is going to get busted for a room party, we'll be the first! I expect to make about 100+ drinks (one at a time, baby!), so if you DO come by and want to donate sumthin', I certainly won't stop you! (The Licor 43 tends to run out quickly, hint, hint...) :wink:

As far as the crawl itself, Pandora has a drink she's wanting to try out, but I'll let her make the post about it here herself...

Okole Maluna - see everyone next week! :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

Question: Do you HAVE to decorate your room if you host? Cuz I'm just so tired and want to relax, but the Mr wants to do his drink...
I know, Captain Kill Joy here.
But if anyone's into a nice alcoholic coffee, you know, to keep you wide awake and drunk, then I may just let him do it. Sans the decor. No ambiance= No fun?
He's the type that'd walk around offering everyone a pick-me-up, so you may have a steaming cup 'o joe (high octane, of course) shoved at ya anyway..

Shell Ikabod is with me on the Cult of the Eye Room.......don't liten to him he's confused

K
kirby posted on Mon, Apr 24, 2006 7:46 PM

i would like to crawl count me in....

I shall host on Friday at 2:00PM (Pending COE approval). I know there's another room starting at 2:30, but it seems that you're encouraging overlap and this is really the only time I can do it. Looking forward to all the craziness!

-Your host, Weird Uncle Tiki

I have no problem with it.....dive in

Okeedokee! I'll host on Friday at 2:00PM. The Maikai Gents will provide live cocktail music in the room to accompany our happy tippling.

-Weird Unc

We will switch to 3-5 on Sat as to be able to help with tear down afterwards....

The Missus and I might be interested in hosting, not 100% sure yet, but I'll let you know for sure within the next day. Tentatively put us down for crawling too, though the Missus probably won't be drinking much.

Aloha All!
Dr. Shocker,
Thank you for the clarification! You are right, IKABOD is definitely a DOLT!
Drink card has been updated!

Hau'oli Tiki,
No you don't have to decorate. It's all up to you. Otto is awarding a prize for the best dressed room, but they don't even have to be room hosts to enter the Best Dressed Room Contest.

So are you hosting, Hau'oli Tiki? I will add you to the card if so. Please confirm on the thread or pm me.

Newest and improved drink card...

Hau'oli Tiki, I will add you if you get back to me on whether or not you are hosting. Please let me know.
Mahalo,
Shell in the Pacific

N
Netty posted on Tue, Apr 25, 2006 2:01 PM

Hubby and I will be attending as well as our two friends that have build up enough courage to join us this year. Can't wait!!

C

Me and Hula Denise are coming down to S.D for the big event and definitely want to be on the crawl list. What do I need to do get us a crawl card? Mahalo -

Aloha Caddio,

If you right click on the crawl card, you should have the ability to view and print the image right from your computer. Print it out on cardstock if you want it to be more durable. That's all it takes! Remember to tip your Bar/Room Hosts or donate supplies, and have fun!

I will be purchasing some plastic sleeves from Office Depot and will gladly give you one at Oasis while supplies last, along with a piece of string or ribbon that you can use to hang the sleeve and card around your neck. (Please remove before swimming or showering!)

Mahalo,
Shell in the Pacific

Yeah baby, Chongolio is gonna be addin' the crawl to his Oasis weekend swagger.
Please no pictures, the results hurt my eyes
Chongolio

Lost-Isle
Coconut Wired Podcast
Barefoot bloggin'

TB

Utopiandreem & I will be crawling if you please!

TBird.

I'm going to try to stop by for some minor crawlitude, I'm not going to catch everyone though. Dogbytes, could you use some BVI Silver Rum?

I could make Monkeypods this year if someone can get me a room to do it in. Im not staying at the hotel.

Let me know what time makes sense to fit with the others.

Hanalei, drawing from experience from the past two tasting contests (Zombie & Grogg), I just figure appox. how many people will be stopping by, even though there are approx. 60 crawlers, no all make it due to ovelap. (Friday there is going to be a lot of overlap) A 750 ml. bottle is about 25 oz., so that's a good starting point, a trusty calculator is all you need. Personally, I find it easier to pre-mix and store in a couple of those rubbermaid containers.

Or you can just buy what you want to serve/spend and pour until your dry...

Kapaula Tiki & I split drinks last year, so we could hit all the Hosts which also allowed us to stay upright. The overlap was fun, it kept us on our toes, but we made sure to visit all the gracious hosts.

As far as room decorating, being a host will give you added exposure, we are planning on decorating, so we encourage those who can't make our scheduled host time to visit.

Unga Bunga -- too bad you can't make it to the Oasis, your room bar set up last year was a thing of beauty!

On 2006-04-26 16:20, Monkeyman wrote:
I could make Monkeypods this year if someone can get me a room to do it in. Im not staying at the hotel.

Derek, just sent you a PM...

A-A

This will be my first crawl.... As long as I have a crawl card and am pointed down the right hallway, I will be attending!

I

Hmmmmm.

Monkeyman & A-A (with lovely wife Nina) will be co-hosting Saturday from 2-4 pm. Monkeypods will be served.

A tip on stretching supply for the hosts.

Serve half or 3/4 portions. It will ensure that your supply makes it across the whole group and it will lower the average cost of making a multi ingredient mixed drink which usually will run about $2-3 each for a full pour.

To make a single drink for 30-40 folks will probably cost you about $70-$90 in ingredients. Which doesnt include specialty garnishes and decor.

Costco sells 1.75litre bottles of Bacardi Light and Myers Dark Rum in San Diego.

A 1.75 litre bottle contains about 60 fluid ounces.

Smaller pours will also help your guests make it to the next room on thier own two feet.

I

Good advice thank you!

I will give these to the best room host/drink recipe/

P

Is there a schedule out? I have not selected my time yet. I haven't selected my drink yet, for that matter. I have just been swamped the last month or so and have had little time to think about any of this, but time is running out. I have been working on re-inventing my Kava drink without the Kava. I have a version that is not too bad and I may mix that one. It's a pretty standard tiki bar cocktail with a slightly different mix of flavors. I have also been considering Doctor Funks or doing the Suffering Bastards again. SB's are pretty complicated and that is the biggest reason NOT to do those right now. Any suggestions?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 176 replies