Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Should Tiki Central be stripped of any hawaiiana discussions?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 223 replies

Would the strict interpretationists of Tiki Central prefer that all discussions that veer into hawaiiana be taken elsewhere?

I fully understand that Tiki Culture for some was a mainland phenomenon only. It was a way for folks in Ohio to eat their dinner with a little tropical fantasy thrown in. It used the Tiki form from Polynesia and used it in a way that was not authentic but still conveyed the tropics to folks who usually did not know the difference. As a child I went to The Lanai in San Mateo, Trader Vics in San Francisco and drove past the Tiki Motel each day in Palo Alto and I get what Tiki is for some who only see it as a mainland happening. But I love Hawaiiana also. I spent each summer in Hawaii and a lot of time in Honolulu so its impossible for me to separate Polynesian Pop from Hawaiiana.

My points:

1. I love authentic Polynesian Tikis in addition to the type that came out of places like Oceanic Arts. These have been all around Waikiki since tourists have been going there and the Bishop Museum has a great collection. I guess what I am getting at is I love "Tikis" as well as loving "Tiki Culture" from the mainland.

2. Waikiki was home to the International Marketplace that in its heyday featured a wonderful bamboo treehouse for newlyweds and sported many Tikis back in 60"s when I started going there. Don the Beachcomer and Trader Vics both had success for some time in Waikiki and La Mariana still keeps the tiki torch alive. All of these places were heavy on Polynesian Pop.

3. Most of the best known tiki drinks were invented on the mainland. But the huge majority of people have had their first Mai Tai et al in Hawaii. And tropical drink menus continue to exist all over Waikiki today. Hawaii put the Mai Tai on the map.

4. The spirit of the tourist luau was I feel an inspiration for the Tiki fantasylands on the mainland. The luaus that Hawaii served up to tourists was not based on authentic custom and was a fantasy in the same spirit as the decor at the Kahiki or Bali Hai.

5. My own love love of Polynesian Pop is a wider umbrella that extends to Hula girls, lava rock souvenirs, Suck Em Up glasses, and certainly Don Ho. I think it would be very difficult to find a purist Tiki establishment on the mainland that did not play "Tiny Bubbles" at least once. A tiki world without Don Ho is not one I want to live in.

If I want to talk about Don Ho in the same breath as Tiki Farm, the Mai Kai, and Tiki Bob would the purists like Big Bro prefer I go to another site?

I sincerely appreciate the caution with which you approach this subject, but the way you pose the question sounds way to extreme. There is no ban, dogma or censorship here, just a FOCUS. Hawaiiana and Hawaii have a link to, and were in many ways the inspiration for Tiki style. If this caution is motivated by the recent discussion about finding Tiki mugs at restaurants in Hawaii, I was not "forbidding" that question, I was merely explaining why I thought it came from a misunderstanding of the cause and effect of Tiki culture and the Tiki revival.

I do this because new people find and join Tiki Central every week, and since the Book of Tiki is not readily available anymore, I have to assume that most are not aware of the distinction between "Hawaiiana" and "Tiki style". So I aim to explain what TIKI (as a style and cultural phenomenon) is about. I do not dislike Hawaiiana, it's just not that interesting conceptually for me:

Tourist culture always existed, in many parts of the world, there is no "surprise" in it for me. The term "Island Lifestyle" says it all: It is a term for leisure living that is very generic, and quaint ...and kinda boring to me, culturally. I am not saying to have fond memories of Hawaiian vacations is wrong and has not been the inspiration for many mainland backyard Luaus, but what is fascinating culturally is the way Americans RE-INVENTED Hawaii and Polynesia in their own country -embellishing it and choosing the Tiki as its symbol in the process. THAT is a totally unique phenomenon, one whose multiple facets deserve further exploration (Hawaiiana being but one of these facets).

I will go into your individual questions in depth when I have more time, but let me assure you that Hawaii is not "out" on TC, I myself was just pondering to start a thread about the fact that Hawaiian statehood has its 50th anniversary this year, and how I believe that the occasion of statehood played an integral part in the motivation that brought mainland developers to push Tiki style to its peak here in the early 60s. It is all about understanding cause and effect, and differentiating the genres, and as long as that understanding is present, I don't have to explain it. For now, for those who do not own the Book of Tiki, here is my "Evolution of Polynesian Pop chart again:

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2009-01-23 09:00 ]

Interesting chart! What strikes me is that even for pop culture, Tiki follows the model taught in art history courses regarding cultural development: proto/archaic--classic--baroque (the latter accompanied by wide spread dissemination and eventual "watering down" of the classic ideal as the intent of the original ideal gets confused and forgotten.

Or as Renaissance historian Vasari put it: "the style ceased, for the particular type of civilization it expressed had come to and end".

On 2009-01-23 00:25, SuperEight wrote:
Would the strict interpretationists of Tiki Central prefer that all discussions that veer into hawaiiana be taken elsewhere?

If I want to talk about Don Ho in the same breath as Tiki Farm, the Mai Kai, and Tiki Bob would the purists like Big Bro prefer I go to another site?

Tiki Central most definitely has one very specific focus. In order to maintain that focus, the site is broken down into a series of different forums.

If the users are considerate enough to ensure that they post in the appropriate forum, that focus remains intact.

In my opinion, a topic that is strictly about Hawaiiana should be discussed in Beyond Tiki, and there's certainly room for Don Ho in Tiki Music.

C
Cammo posted on Fri, Jan 23, 2009 9:10 AM

SuperEight nailed it. This is exactly the problem at the heart of TC.

My own opinion is simply that native Hawaiian art and in fact original Polynesian art in general is MUCH more amazing than any "interpretations" that popped up any time later.

And more to the point - I know Trader Vic and Don felt the same way. They all had much treasured collections of native art, most of which later found their way into museums.

The 30 year Tiki Era is interesting, but the 10,000 years of native arts, dancing, and the cultures that inspired it are far more fascinating...

C
Cammo posted on Fri, Jan 23, 2009 9:17 AM

"...a topic that is strictly about Hawaiiana should be discussed in Beyond Tiki"

See? Hawaiiana has no place here? It's a "Beyond Tiki" topic?

Huh?????

That sure sounds a bit strict.

Can you clarify that with a couple of examples?

I think tiki and hawaiiana are too linked to separate. If you go to a tiki bar, you will see lots of hawaiiana. It's a common element in just about any tiki surroundings, not to mention it's influence on tiki in general.

Put it this way, if for the past 60 years, all tiki bars had neon beer signs to fill in the space in between tikis, we would all be talking about neon beer signs too. But instead, thankfully, the bars decorate with hula girls, velvet paintings of palm trees, nautical items and last but not least, tikis.

It think the two would be easy to separate if there was a line to separate them at. But that line is way to blurred, in my opinion... especially considering you would have to rearrange half of this sites history because so much of it is hawaiiana!

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2016-10-27 11:18 ]

My two cents (which now buys one cent),
Hawaii and Hawaiiana was kind of the gateway drug that led me into the world of Tiki and Tiki Central (and seems a natural lead-in/extension for many of us). Having taken a family trip to Hawaii for the first time about 10 years ago is what led me to discover the real escapism mindset of this whole pop culture re-creation.

Without getting too deep and discussing all of the various 'real' and pop-culture created contributions, isn't that a huge part of the original driving force for much of this ---- that the GI's returning from Hawaii and the Pacific following WWII brought back those artifacts and memories of Hawaii and the South Pacific?

Blah, blah, blah....did I just toss a grenade into the middle of a group of proud (and smarter) purists?

That said, this site is whatever the founder(s) want it to be and I'm just happy to be here. :)
This from a guy who goes by the name Pupu.
Aloha and Mahalo

[ Edited by: Mr. Pupu Pants 2009-01-23 10:20 ]

That musical topic deserves its own thread!
You've definitely touched on some themes I've often wondered about myself!
A possible snobbery against Hapa Haole and in favor of Exotica (Yes, I love both too)
Whenever I hear a classic Exotica group/performer play an arrangement of a Calypso song I think about that irony.
But, I digress.

Beg to differentiate, Lucas: In my mind your music has its place in the Tiki REVIVAL, today, and thus it can be "Tiki" to the Tiki worshippers of today, just as sexy Hula girls are a part of it. But historically, it is Polynesian pop, or more specifically Hawaiiana --it predates the Tiki period, just like Don The Beachcomber and Trader Vic do, when they were not Tiki.

And folks, do not take Super Eight's question as a statement of fact --it is a mere group of QUESTIONS, albeit asked in a very polemic and provocative way, as if the broad spectrum of posts here on TC (on original Oceanic Art in books and museums, on Coco Joe's and vacation tips in Hawaii, etc.) does not exist or would be constantly attacked by so-called purists. But is that really so?

I know there are a lot of folks here that do not want to THINK about Tiki culture, just see it as fun or as mug collecting hobby, and are annoyed by my "serious" specifications and differentiations about it --but that (AND the events and cocktails and music) is MY greatest fun I find in it.

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2009-01-23 10:39 ]

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2016-10-27 11:19 ]

You couldn't have "Hawaiian shirts", if you don't have "Hawaiiana"....:lol:

On 2009-01-23 10:18, Mr. Pupu Pants wrote:
Without getting too deep and discussing all of the various 'real' and pop-culture created contributions, isn't that a huge part of the original driving force for much of this ---- that the GI's returning from Hawaii and the Pacific following WWII brought back those artifacts and memories of Hawaii and the South Pacific?

That facet of the roots of Tiki style is a Wikipedia-type cliche that has been way overstated by media repetition, latching on to the first best explanation that the public can relate to.

Look at my chart: That influence happened clearly BEFORE the Tiki period, leading up to it, yes, being essential Polynesian pop, but not yet Tiki. The biggest Pacific war veteran/pop culture contribution was James Michener's South Pacific and the myth of Bali Hai. But the book, musical and movie (appearing from the late 40s to the early 50s) were still virtually Tiki free.

On 2009-01-23 10:40, Tom Slick wrote:
You couldn't have "Hawaiian shirts", if you don't have "Hawaiiana"....:lol:

True, but we Tikiphiles also differentiate here, preferring vintage abstract/modernist/Tiki/Tapa patterns before generic Tommy Bahama Hibiscus/palm tree/surfboard shirts. And please, I am saying "preferring", not saying the latter should not be worn at Tiki events. I am with Lucas, I dig all that stuff, it shall be included on TC as it always has been, only if something is called "Tiki" that is not will I aim to clarify the difference. All FOR clarification, AGAINST muddling up of genres. And if that distinction is not important to you, fine, have a ball, just don't get offended if I say it's not Tiki --remember, you don't care.

And the fact that the above shirts hail FROM HAWAII is clearly an exception to the rule of mainland Tiki dominance --an exception however does not topple the rule.

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2009-01-23 11:08 ]

K
KuKu posted on Fri, Jan 23, 2009 11:23 AM

On 2009-01-23 09:10, Cammo wrote:
SuperEight nailed it. This is exactly the problem at the heart of TC.

My own opinion is simply that native Hawaiian art and in fact original Polynesian art in general is MUCH more amazing than any "interpretations" that popped up any time later.

And more to the point - I know Trader Vic and Don felt the same way. They all had much treasured collections of native art, most of which later found their way into museums.

The 30 year Tiki Era is interesting, but the 10,000 years of native arts, dancing, and the cultures that inspired it are far more fascinating...

BINGO...!!!

So these threads are on some other site ?:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=29035&forum=1

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=30370&forum=2

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=29278&forum=2

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=30080&forum=2

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=29097&forum=16

I don't get it. And I have repeatedly stated that one of the main weaknesses (of some!) of the Tiki revival art, and most of the commercial Tiki examples today, lies in the fact that nobody goes back to the Oceanic originals anymore.

"Should Tiki Central be stripped of any hawaiiana discussions?"

No.

K
KuKu posted on Fri, Jan 23, 2009 11:53 AM

On 2009-01-23 09:17, Cammo wrote:
"...a topic that is strictly about Hawaiiana should be discussed in Beyond Tiki"

See? Hawaiiana has no place here? It's a "Beyond Tiki" topic?

Huh?????

So let me get this straight, should lets say a mug in the form of Ku be discussed in "Beyond Tiki" because the likeness of Ku is a representation of a God the pre missionary Hawaiians worshiped?!? Purely Hawaiiana. And any image, carving, trinket etc. of Ku should then also be shoved into the "Beyond Tiki" forum.

So should topics regarding restaurants, bars, theme parks depicting anything related to Hawaii i.e. hula girls, music, surfing not be aloud because someone has deemed it "not tiki"? Do we really need someone drawing such thin lines here? Jeez, I see posts with pics of '57 Chevy's with a bamboo dashboard and they wanna know how cool is their "tiki" ride and then pages of responses.

C'mon, it's POLYNESIAN pop culture, do the math...

..we should strip tiki central of any discussions about stripping tiki central of any discussions....

..discussions about stripping and/or strippers are still okay though....

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2009-01-23 12:05 ]

T

This topic is almost as tough to corner than the question "How racist is polynesian pop?"
I have been approached by that question a few times by people at work. But, that is a whole other can of worms.

But, I think that Hawaiiana should have its own thread group. The benefits of having a more itemized listing of things might make it easy for me and others to research. Or maybe make up a Group called Hawaiiana/surf or something. What could hurt by adding an new Group?

[ Edited by: thefuzz 2009-01-23 12:20 ]

K
KuKu posted on Fri, Jan 23, 2009 12:23 PM

On 2009-01-23 12:04, Tipsy McStagger wrote:
..we should strip tiki central of any discussions about stripping tiki central of any discussions....

..discussions about stripping and/or strippers are still okay though....

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2009-01-23 12:05 ]

What if the strippers are dressed like hula girls...?!? :D

Let's define "Hawaiiana", now:

Wikipedia:

"Hawaiiana is a popular term of academia used in reference to history and various aspects of the culture of Hawai'i, currently a region and state of the United States. The term is used especially in reflection of the periods of antiquity and the Kingdom of Hawai'i era. Hawaiiana has become increasingly popular among students of history and sociology throughout the world. The principal repository of Hawaiiana is the Princess Bernice Pauahi Bishop Museum in Honolulu on the island of O'ahu. The institution is also called the Hawai'i State Museum of Natural and Cultural History and often shares artifacts and information with other institutions globally for the sake of research and study.
The term "Hawaiiana" was coined in 1948 by Hawaiian entertainer and cultural expert, Nona Beamer."

My addition:
Hawaiiana is a general term for antiques, collectibles and vintage objects (including tourist kitsch) coming FROM HAWAII. Usually, with the exception of Coco Joe's-type sculptures, there are very few depictions of Tiki (or Tiki mugs) found among these items.

If the question is "Are Hawaiiana Tiki?" The answer is "No"

If the question is "Can Hawaiiana be part of a Tiki environment?"

and "Can Hawaiiana be discussed on Tiki Central?" the answer is "Certainly, they should.

But it is a matter of to what degree, as Tiki Kate was suggesting with "....a topic that is STRICTLY about Hawaiiana..."

I don't quite agree with relegating a STRICTLY Hawaiiana post to "Beyond Tiki", but again, if the Hawaiiana fans would take over, I would have to remind them, the FOCUS of Tiki Central is: Tiki style!

It does seem that some people here just wait and look for statements that confirm their negative view of some narrow-minded dogmatic conspiracy in existence on Tiki Central. There is no such thing, just a continued attempt to keep it on track.

C

Actually, if you wanna really get serious about this whole topic, I'll admit that I don't agree with almost ANY of BigBro's assumptions about the growth of Polynesian appreciation in North America.

For starts, why call it Tiki Culture? Why choose Tikis as the defacto rallying point around which the entire culture swirls? It's entirely a random choice; more than that it limits giant areas of important influences.

It's like choosing a little bush in a thousand acre wilderness and saying the forest is centered around this single bush. It's just absurd.

You could just as easily choose Rum, or Hula Girls, or Tapa prints, or better - Hawaii itself as the central icon of the movement. Is it just because the word Tiki sounds cool? Or because Tikis are so seminally foreign to our own culture? Is that the reason?

I have an entirely different "Tiki" time scale in my head that goes back to the very beginnings of Western navigation through the South Pacific and African coast, that charts how both Tikis and the discovery of 'savage' cultures influenced us enormously throughout more than the last three centuries. Tiki is a part of it, but not the largest part. And much of it involves the outstanding cultures of the Pacific and Africa, not just our ethnocentric view of those cultures; there's literally a world of difference...

Yes there is, indeedy! Now, if you write two books about it that supply over a thousand images of visual proof, and inspire a new generation to engage in forums like Tiki Central, I will gladly consider your vision.

C

*"That facet of the roots of Tiki style is a Wikipedia-type cliche that has been way overstated ..."

Wikipedia:
Hawaiiana is a popular term of academia...etc."*

Bro, why are you denouncing Wikipedia as a second class repository of cliches and then quoting it as a defacto source of definitions?

And - your entire later arguement about Hawaiiana dances around the fact that by far the most Tikis in the U.S. were made in Hawaii for the tourist trade. (It's still true to this day.) Why ignore Hawaiian made Tikis as a giant cultural influence on mainland culture?

C
Cammo posted on Fri, Jan 23, 2009 1:12 PM

"...supply over a thousand images of visual proof..."

That's one of my biggest problems with the Book of Tiki, is that there's no bibliography or facts or numbers involved with any of the assumptions. It's all pretty pictures. Photos are always open to interpretation; a book of photos isn't a history book. Far from it.

Photos also lie; almost all the pictures in the Book of Tiki are posed, intended to make a locale look more interesting and busy than it actually is. (Of course they do - they're advertising photos!)

And you're not saying that your opinion is the only one that's valid, are you?

On 2009-01-23 12:59, Cammo wrote:
*"That facet of the roots of Tiki style is a Wikipedia-type cliche that has been way overstated ..."

Wikipedia:
Hawaiiana is a popular term of academia...etc."*

Bro, why are you denouncing Wikipedia as a second class repository of cliches and then quoting it as a defacto source of definitions?

And - your entire later arguement about Hawaiiana dances around the fact that by far the most Tikis in the U.S. were made in Hawaii for the tourist trade. (It's still true to this day.) Why ignore Hawaiian made Tikis as a giant cultural influence on mainland culture?

Because Wikipedia is too often taken as the SOLE truth. And just as I am not saying that its Pacific War veteran quote is UNTRUE, I am adding to the definition that Wikipedia has of "Hawaiiana" with my own, which I believe is much more to the point of the Hawaiiana we are discussing here.

And where do I state "..the fact that by far the most Tikis in the U.S. were made in Hawaii for the tourist trade"? I am sorry, that can only be a misunderstanding, as all my work proves that, as far as artistic uniqueness, and sheer numbers go, there were undoubtedly more Tikis carved on the mainland in the mid-century.

K
KuKu posted on Fri, Jan 23, 2009 1:19 PM

On 2009-01-23 12:51, bigbrotiki wrote:
Yes there is, indeedy! Now, if you write two books about it that supply over a thousand images of visual proof, and inspire a new generation to engage in forums like Tiki Central, I will gladly consider your vision.

Old & New Testament?!? :o And BigBro said "Let there be...

T

On 2009-01-23 13:18, bigbrotiki wrote:

[
And where do I state "..the fact that by far the most Tikis in the U.S. were made in Hawaii for the tourist trade"? I am sorry, that can only be a misunderstanding, as all my work proves that, as far as artistic uniqueness, and sheer numbers go, there were undoubtedly more Tikis carved on the mainland in the mid-century.

Not being a "doubting Thomas", here, but asking a real question (not rhetorical or sarcastic)...does that refer to Large Scale, decor tikis like the ones in restaurants and Hotels etc. or the small souveneir take home, keepsake type sold in gift shops on the Islands or both ?

On 2009-01-23 13:12, Cammo wrote:
And you're not saying that your opinion is the only one that's valid, are you?

No, but one that has proven itself as quite convincing and inspiring. If it is all a sham and a lie, it must be damn good one! :)

I bet you wish you would have been around to prove Thor Heyerdahl's theory was wrong. Yet he still inspired more people on this planet to get interested in Polynesian culture than any academics ever could.

Jim, really, what the...? It refers to Tikis that MATTER ARTISTICALLY, not conveyer-belt tourist Tikis.

Thor Heyerdahl... inspired more people on this planet to get interested in Polynesian culture than any academics ever could.

No question about it.

Okay, seriously, let's get this whole topic back in FOCUS, before the war clubs come off the walls, eh..."

S :wink: K

(edited for clarity and sraflv)

"Don't let it be forgot,
That once there was a Spot,
Where Blowfish all wore sunglasses,
and Tiki-times were hot..."
SOK

[ Edited by: Son-of-Kelbo 2009-01-23 13:49 ]

Phew, finally got that done, I think I am finished with my missionary efforts for the "Temple of Tiki" for today :) :

My points:

1. I love authentic Polynesian Tikis in addition to the type that came out of places like Oceanic Arts. These have been all around Waikiki since tourists have been going there and the Bishop Museum has a great collection. I guess what I am getting at is I love "Tikis" as well as loving "Tiki Culture" from the mainland.>2. Waikiki was home to the International Marketplace that in its heyday featured a wonderful bamboo treehouse for newlyweds and sported many Tikis back in 60"s when I started going there. Don the Beachcomer and Trader Vics both had success for some time in Waikiki and La Mariana still keeps the tiki torch alive. All of these places were heavy on Polynesian Pop.>4. The spirit of the tourist luau was I feel an inspiration for the Tiki fantasylands on the mainland. The luaus that Hawaii served up to tourists was not based on authentic custom and was a fantasy in the same spirit as the decor at the Kahiki or Bali Hai.>5. My own love love of Polynesian Pop is a wider umbrella that extends to Hula girls, lava rock souvenirs, Suck Em Up glasses, and certainly Don Ho. I think it would be very difficult to find a purist Tiki establishment on the mainland that did not play "Tiny Bubbles" at least once. A tiki world without Don Ho is not one I want to live in.
TM

[ Edited by: lucas vigor 2016-10-27 11:20 ]

Hi Bigbro,
If you read my very humble contribution to this thread (making it obvious that I'm certainly no expert)--I was talking about one of the causes of the rise in popularity of the Hawaiian/Polynesian mystique--not a straight line to tiki. It was also in the form of a question, not a grand statement of fact.
We all certainly know you've written books (and I've thoroughly enjoyed them) and that you are an expert.
I don't trust wikipedia for much of anything and was basing some of my thoughts on family members of mine who lived in that era, fought in that war, and came back with those stories and souvenirs.
Sorry, next time, I'll leave it to the experts.

[ Edited by: Mr. Pupu Pants 2009-01-23 14:34 ]

W

I'd make a point but I'm too busy pushing a piece of rope up a hill.

:)

Hmmm....but you brought it into a discussion about Hawaiiana and Tiki style --which made it appear like you were using it as an argument for Hawaiiana being akin to Tiki style. So I just wanted to put it into its historic perspective.

Funny thing is that whenever this expert offers his expertise, it is taken as a personal put down. On one hand you state you are humble and not an expert, but when that is shown to be true, you feel hurt?

T

On 2009-01-23 13:56, bigbrotiki wrote:

"Hawaiian Eye" shot during Tikis heyday, (1959-1963), used a Tiki as a logo, shot mainly on the mainland
"Hawaii 5-0" shot AFTER the heyday of Tiki, as good as NO Tikis to be seen in over 200 episodes, shot in the Islands

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2009-01-23 14:04 ]

WHAT ? That's actually not true.

Season 2 has an episode shot in the Bishop Museum, "King Kamehaha Blues" . There are tikis in that episode.

Do you have your TIKIYAKI ORCHESTRA CD YET ?
http://www.myspace.com/tikiyaki
http://www.tikiyakiorchestra.com

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2009-01-23 14:46 ]

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2009-01-23 14:47 ]

On 2009-01-23 14:44, tikiyaki wrote:

"Hawaiian Eye" shot during Tikis heyday, (1959-1963), used a Tiki as a logo, shot mainly on the mainland
"Hawaii 5-0" shot AFTER the heyday of Tiki, as good as NO Tikis to be seen in over 200 episodes, shot in the Islands

Season 2 has an episode shot in the Bishop Museum, "King Kamehaha Blues" . There are tikis in that episode.

Jim read the fine print: ".....shot after the heyday of Tiki, AS GOOD AS no Tikis to be seen in over 200 episodes..."

There also was an episode where a Tiki was the murder weapon. Do these and and a few other exceptions among 278 (!) episodes, and the absence of any Tiki imagery in its titles, make it a "Tiki style" show? No, the heyday of Tiki was over, it was deemed "in-authentic" and politically incorrect, especially on a show that claimed to portray the true, on location Hawaii.

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2009-01-27 17:36 ]

K

This kind of conversation is beginning to make me nauseous.

T

On 2009-01-23 15:05, bigbrotiki wrote:

On 2009-01-23 14:44, tikiyaki wrote:

Jim read the fine print: ".....shot after the heyday of Tiki, AS GOD AS no Tikis to be seen in over 200 episodes..."

There also was an episode where a Tiki was the murder weapon. Do these and and a few other exceptions among 278 (!) episodes, and the absence of any Tiki imagery in its titles, make it a "Tiki style" show? No, the heyday of Tiki was over, it was deemed "in-authentic" and politically incorrect, especially on a show that claimed to portray the true, on location Hawaii.

Tiki as a weapon...now that's an episode I wanna see.
I only have seasons 1 and 2. Do you know what season that episode was in ? I wonder if it's on DVD yet.

The Bishop museum episode had some nice tiki shots in it tho' for sure. I tried to do a screen capture and post the pics here, but couldn't do it, being that it was such a rarity with that show. I wish there were more, tho' the real fun of watching that show is some of the nightclub scenes in the early episodes....places that LOOKED so tiki, but , as you've stated,had no tikis in them.

Do you have your TIKIYAKI ORCHESTRA CD YET ?
http://www.myspace.com/tikiyaki
http://www.tikiyakiorchestra.com

[ Edited by: tikiyaki 2009-01-23 15:26 ]

T

On 2009-01-23 15:22, KAHAKA wrote:
This kind of conversation is beginning to make me nauseous.

Brace for Impact

I think the key is to keep this site about things tiki, and things related or paired with tiki.. not more than a degree or two of separation though. Hawaiiana should be fine obviously. So should Don Ho. So should any pop culture or current event/items that can be associated or paired with tiki. The problem arises in situations where the degrees of separation extend too far.

For example, going from tiki culture to ancient tiki sculpture to modern interpretations of tiki sculpture, to modern hula girl sculptures would be fine. This is a logical progression, and even at the end - a modern hula girl sculpture - would be a logical link to tiki, for most of us. But if that line would continue, and this was added at the end

http://www.getclay.com/

like when this link was posted on a previous post

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=30953&forum=5&hilite=dragons

the the logical link and association with tiki is broken. A dragon sculpture is no longer a link. So, as was discussed in the previous post, it was then transfered to Beyond Tiki.

To me, this just makes sense. If you can't picture something being in a tiki bar, don't post it in the tiki related parts of the forum.

Should Tiki Central be stripped of any hawaiiana discussions?

Discuss......

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 223 replies