Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Other Events

Relight The Night Thanks to everyone! It was a blast!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 226 replies

ML

Next stop: Tucson!!

Just in case Ben's link expires, here's the listing, preserved for ever...

"You get this awesome tiki mug to keep whatever you want in it. Looks amazing on any shelf or table.-30$
And i got a barely used Ralph Laren Polo Cologne 4.2 oz- 20 $"

SF

The only thing that would make that mug better is if it had a pineapple on the back ... it does?!!! You're blow'n my mind!!!!

Still deciding if I want to go to this ... what else will be happening? Will Mark be performing any improvisational dance moves during the show?

T
TikiG posted on Tue, Feb 9, 2010 2:39 PM

Maybe...just maybe...with all the out-of-towner energy in the room that night we can convince the famous Kon Tiki ghost to make an appearance for everyone?

Tiki G,
Here's a picture I took a few years ago. Didn't see anything unusual through the viewfinder and there was nobody around with a cigarette. Only later when I downloaded it and looked at it did I see this unexplainable 'apparition'. I'm not making any assertions here, I'm just sharing...

Doug, You're starting to worry me...

ooooh spooky,
what is it with old tiki places, and ghosts?
:o

Jeff(btd)

This is what I saw re-doing the Kon Tiki a while back. Blue-ish haze thing, but with a little silver added. Being semi close to Tombstone...there's all sort of energy in the air!

T
TikiG posted on Sat, Feb 13, 2010 8:09 PM

Cheeky Half & RevBambooBen -

Thanks for sharing.

I was hoping somebody would respond favorably to my KON TIKI ghost comment :)

I would love a shot at investigating this famous tiki temple after hours sometime just to see (who/what) presents itself. Midnight to Six.

S

Happy Statehood Day!!!!!

Are there plans to put vids up for us ex-pats who won't make it???? (don't look like I'm gonna make it)

So is anybody planning on doing Trader Vics in Scottsdale on Sunday after this?

Jeff(btd)

WooooHoooooo! Tickets purchased :)

Woooooohoooooo!!!!!!

Can't wait to see ya'll there! The ghosts have been restless lately........

Get your tickets and free Kon Tiki shot glasses here http://www.kontikitucson.com/relightthenight/relighttickets.html

sweet!!

The Kon Tiki Ghost has been making his prescence felt more than usual in the last week or two. The room where he usually resides was refurbished and ever since he's been brushing up against several of the girls and messing with the lights. An old 'vintage' rubber chicken was also found behind the wall, but we're not sure if there's a connection.

While digging around in the very back bowels of the Kon Tiki we also came across two buried Milan Guanko tikis that haven't seen the light of day for many, many years. We'll be dusting them off and adding them to the Kon Tiki's already-impressive (very probably World's Largest) collection of Milan Guanko's for Relight The Night.

See you in April!

http://www.kontikitucson.com/relightthenight.html

T
TikiG posted on Thu, Feb 18, 2010 7:37 AM

Anyone have a theory regarding the spirit at Kon Tiki?

Who what when where why kinda stuff?

There may be a connection with the refurbished room, of course, and also there may be a connection with the time of year.

I'm intrigued with the whole situation. For what ever reason this spirit seems to be desperate for interaction and I believe that this event in April will be very very interesting.

PS: Whoopee! Finding those Milan Guanko tikis buried must have been exciting too...like LLT says below, history in the making. Thanks for the rescue and re-vitalization of these treasures. Milan would be proud (or if you wish...IS PROUD!)

TikiG

tiki since '67!

[ Edited by: TikiG 2010-02-18 08:14 ]

Very cool
letting those 2 lost Milan Guankos
join the crowd!
History in the making!
Way to go!

Tiki G, are you implying that our spirit is that of Milan Guanko himself? Roamed the Globe and found all his old work and decided to stay?

I like it.

T
TikiG posted on Thu, Feb 18, 2010 9:53 AM

Ah...hmmm...ALRIGHT!! :lol:

Oh man, that clown paint on those things is hurting my eyes...get some 120 grit and sand that off quick !!!!!

Couldn't agree with you more, Jim. Wouldn't it be lovely if they could be returned to their original naked state? Just as God (and Milan) intended!

G
GROG posted on Thu, Feb 18, 2010 11:46 AM

Sand 'em!!

Agreed. This is the perfect time to sand off the clown paint. In fact, while at it, sand all of the other clown painted Tikis there too and I bet Milan Guanko's spirit will finally rest in peace. Do it for Milan.

Are the chairs for sale??

would be cool to have an original Kon Tiki Tucson chair in my collection.

would be better to have 4 around dine table!

WooHoooo! Just booked our room at The Viscount Suites :)

I'll be there!!

TM

Hands down, you have the best user name EVER!

What the heck does it mean, anyway???

He is one of the chaperones at the annual under the sea winter formal dance.
:wink:

Jeff(btd)

[ Edited by: bigtikidude 2010-02-20 10:28 ]

This is what Chris (AKA Shrimp Chaperone) told me

"It is two words in a line of a Captain Beefheart song. It was a fictional band created by our bass player's lesbian (it turns out) ex-girlfriend, Norma. Shrimp Chaperone and the Tainted Meats."

Oh dear! Flaming Lush!

[ Edited by: Marty Lush 2010-02-22 16:59 ]

Welcome to our party, LLT

Love the shirt Ken BEARSSSSSS !

YAY!

Lighter Fluid...check!
Lighters....Check
Rags....check!
Bottles....check!
Ohio Players "Fire" LP....check!
FIIIIYAH!

For those of you visiting Tucson with an eye to seeing some local color we've put together a Google Map with some arbitrary points of interest. There's a link to it on the Hotel page here...

http://www.kontikitucson.com/relightthenight/relighthotel.html

and some pictures of Tucson and the surrounding area

We've got Tikis, Cowboys, Ostriches, Nukes, Old Airplanes, Scenery, The Handball Hall Of Fame, Telescopes, Haunted things, Saguaro, caves, weird bars, Boot Hill, The Shady Dell, Cool old signs, Thrift stores and a bunch of other stuff too.

We've also added a handful of vendors who will be, well, vending. Doug Horne, Eric October, Ken Ruzic and The Hana Shirt Co. will be on hand with their super art and super shirts.

Yesterday the torches were spiffed up a bit in readiness. Here's a man up a ladder doing some spiffing...

is the missle museum
near to the event?

just wondering....

and tobunga's coming too!
YIP-YIP-YIPPEEEEEEEEEEEE!
:)

The Titan Missile Museum is in Green Valley, about a 45 minute drive south of Tucson. Well worth a visit if you've got the time.

They used to sell engraved Martini Glasses in the gift shop. Struck me as a bit of a non-sequitur - Martinis and Missiles.

But who am I to judge?

B

Ohhhh, that's a framer fo sure...Kinny go out and get a nice print done for you mom...and your studio too :)

FLAME ON!

C

Oh......I dunno.....I'm actually thinking that this one is better for the studio. :wink:

On 2010-02-23 14:56, cheeky half wrote:

What's Pacino got that I ain't got?

Classic!

:lol:

fuh get about it.

KC

I'll be there as well! I've been MIA lately - but I can't miss this :)

Chris

T

Yous guys think I'm funny?
Funny how ?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 226 replies