Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

New Luau in Beverly Hills?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 287 replies

T

Thanks for the update, Boris! I saw the blip in the Sept Vanity Fair, and was almost ready to make the trip. Guess I'll have to wait a bit longer. The whole balinese thing didn't sound so great, but the Jeff Berry cocktails will hopefully be able make up for it.

T

On 2008-08-26 13:59, Bora Boris wrote:
Posted Today on Eater LA.

Eater Progress Report: Luau Beverly Hills
Tuesday, August 26, 2008, by Lesley Balla

After numerous reader inquiries, we finally popped over to check out the status of the forthcoming Luau on Bedford Drive and noted lots of progress. Although this is Andy Hewitt's (concert promoter and owner of Il Sole) contemporary take on the classic Beverly Hills restaurant that was celeb-spotting haven on Rodeo Drive in the 50s and 60s (it closed in 1978), Luau won't be some kitschy ode to tiki.

Grrrr!!!! Frikken writers!

C

yep - here's the Vanity Fair blip referred to that I scanned, but hadn't gotten a chance to post.....it's good they are getting some wide-read press :wink:

That is excellent press.
Hopefully it will open while the weather is still warm.

Think it'll be a snooty place that'll look down on Hawaiian shirts?

Anytime i see words like "inspired" or "fusion", I reach for the neutral button up collar shirt and black slacks..... :lol:

On 2008-08-26 22:17, spy-tiki wrote:
Think it'll be a snooty place that'll look down on Hawaiian shirts?

I think we can plan on $7 valet parking, entrees that run from $25 to $35, Beachbum Barry inspired drinks that cost $12 & more and an after work crowd.

Chances are most of their patrons will not be decked in Aloha garb, even on Fridays.
However, that does not mean that they won't appreciate those who are.

"They" will appreciate diddleysquat when it comes to classic Tiki. Why I ask you do they choose a clearly Hawaiian name, associated with Polynesia, to grace a "Balinese-style place with Buddha statues and Turkish lamps", and how is that a "contemporary version of the iconic favorite" (meaning the Beverly Hills Luau?) The Luau was a Tiki power place, a temple of Tiki culture, filled with unique artifacts. You can get that Balinese/Buddha/Turkish lamp crap at any Cost Plus/World Market or Asian garden supply store nowadays...but it is soooo much more tasteful than Tiki!

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-08-27 10:37 ]

T

On 2008-08-27 10:37, bigbrotiki wrote:
"They" will appreciate diddleysquat when it comes to classic Tiki. Why I ask you do they choose a clearly Hawaiian name, associated with Polynesia, to grace a "Balinese-style place with Buddha statues and Turkish lamps", and how is that a "contemporary version of the iconic favorite" (meaning the Beverly Hills Luau?) The Luau was a Tiki power place, a temple of Tiki culture, filled with unique artifacts. You can get that Balinese/Buddha/Turkish lamp crap at any Cost Plus/World Market or Asian garden supply store nowadays...but it is soooo much more tasteful than Tiki!

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2008-08-27 10:37 ]

That's the part I don't get....just call it something else.

One thing I do notice lately is how trendy Buddha is. Just walk along the canals of Venice and every rebuilt, Modern, rich persons' house (no doubt some entertainment attorney or sitcom writer) has a Buddha in the yard. Being that my Taiwanese fiancee' prays to buddha pretty much every day in the house (there are 2 little "temples" in the house) I'm guessing that these people don't really know the significance, and are just chasing some misguided, Hollywood idea of "Zen"...it's kinda funny...but it's really Trendy right now to have a Buddha in your yard, house, etc....

So, naturally after seeing the Balinese/Asian/Buddha theme at all these people's houses (The Luau is owned by some big "Industry" people) they are catering to these people no doubt.

The Good news is, Bamboo Ben is hopefully putting the little Boo's through college with these big jobs from fat Hollywood Cats.

Go Boo !

So is Jeff Berry. I appreciate it. More financial power to them. But don't expect their names to make up for the lack of authenticity.

JB

I'm with you bigbro.

H

Buddha, Bali and Turkey could all be considered 'exotic', but why keep the name 'Luau' (like Tikiyaki said) which is strictly rooted in Hawaii, for an establishment that will never have anything close to a mid-century/poly-pop style luau event.

What could possibly follow in the future? If this fusion thing really starts taking off and getting out of hand yet accepted, It could be the beginning of the complete devolution of all singular cultures (or become something like 'modern Americanized exotic pop culture cuisine'). I'm thinking the next move might be....hmmmmm... Bar mitzvahs with Pinatas and Margaritas?.... Gelfite taco, anyone?

What could possibly follow in the future? If this fusion thing really starts taking off and getting out of hand yet accepted, It could be the beginning of the complete devolution of all singular cultures (or become something like 'modern Americanized exotic pop culture cuisine'). I'm thinking the next move might be....hmmmmm... Bar mitzvahs with Pinatas and Margaritas?.... Gelfite taco, anyone?

Hey Howland, don't be knocking it. Maybe Canter's can offer Sabu Chicken if the new Luau can't?

On 2008-08-27 22:16, Howland wrote:
Buddha, Bali and Turkey could all be considered 'exotic', but why keep the name 'Luau' (like Tikiyaki said) which is strictly rooted in Hawaii, for an establishment that will never have anything close to a mid-century/poly-pop style luau event.

I am torn. I love Bhudda bars almost as much as much as I like Tiki.
The bar designed by Bamboo Ben in SilverLake has a Tiki - Mexican fusion, so maybe a Balinese - Tiki fusion bar by Bamboo Ben also is all good.

It also may be that Balienese Bhudda bar restaurants are a good investment as they are popular. There is no shortage of them in LA:

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=11645&forum=6&hilite=bhudda

..well...at one point in time it was trendy to put a tiki on your front lawn......now it's trendy to put a buddha on the lawn,

this too shall pass......lawn jockies were all the rage not too long ago as well.

...signs of the times.....

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2008-08-28 05:17 ]

F

Sounds like they are going to be not-unlike Trader Vics BH. Overpriced food and drink and no tikis. Add a standoffish waitstaff and the simile is complete. I was so hoping that there would be a nice new tiki restaurant in the neighborhood. Bah.

Gefilte taco, LOL!

I jus..t noticed the Mai Tai bar in the LBC has bhudda art.

T

Well...there you have it.

Buddha is the new Tiki.

BB

It's safe to use a Buddha too, sure he's exotic and cool but he's also easy going and Buddhists being Buddhists won't get upset if you have him around. Can you say that for any other religious icons, Tiki's included?

On 2008-09-02 09:22, Bora Boris wrote:
It's safe to use a Buddha too, sure he's exotic and cool but he's also easy going and Buddhists being Buddhists won't get upset if you have him around. Can you say that for any other religious icons, Tiki's included?

Too late!

But seriously though, I'm sure Buddhists don't take too lightly seeing people drinking out of those mugs, any more than a Christian would after seeing someone drinking out of a Jesus head mug, or a Muslim seeing caricatures of Muhammad.

??? A reminder to differentiate here again: All these aforementioned religions vary greatly in their attitude towards use of their icons. Authentic Polynesian idol worship is a dead culture by en large. Islamic culture, on the other hand, by its definition simply forbids any depictions of god. And Christianity has many devotees who buy all kinds of Jesus kitsch, so do Buddhists with plastic Buddhas. To me, the main instigators of conflict and overzealous political correctness in religions are individuals who insist on formality over spiritual content.

On 2008-09-02 10:42, bigbrotiki wrote:
??? A reminder to differentiate here again: All these aforementioned religions vary greatly in their attitude towards use of their icons. Authentic Polynesian idol worship is a dead culture by en large. Islamic culture, on the other hand, by its definition simply forbids any depictions of god. And Christianity has many devotees who buy all kinds of Jesus kitsch, so do Buddhists with plastic Buddhas. To me, the main instigators of conflict and overzealous political correctness in religions are individuals who insist on formality over spiritual content.

Exactly!

I can't say I totally agree with you, BB. Buddhism is a huge and varied religion as many denominations and branches as the Judeo-Christian religion. I'm not just talking about the vegan cookie-eating, zen garden-tending, incense-burning, yoga and meditation-doing, 'Free Tibet' protester Buddhists. I've known many people who have been Buddhists for many generations, yet never stepped into a temple. I knew one person who was not a vegetarian, but couldn't eat seafood chosen from a tank, because he could not choose who would die. A kid I grew up with, during 6th grade took a religious break, joined a monastary, and came back a few months later with a shaved head. Many of my friends' parents maintain a small household shrine and make regular offerings of food to it. They all consider themselves Buddhists, although by textbook definitions they are not.

These Buddhists I know wouldn't be caught dead (or reincarnated -heh-) in a Buddha bar, and I would certainly never drink out of a Buddha's belly mug in front of them. Yes, I've seen some of of them have plastic Buddha trinkets dangling from their rearview mirror, but they didn't get it for the kitsch value.

I'm not at all advocating over-PCness. I'm just saying that Buddhists wouldn't take it lightly, and I stick by that.

BB

My point was that in the bigger picture they'd probably not care that much as to fuss about it and if it made someone happy to drink out of a Buddha belly mug then they'd probably be glad that someone was happy.

F

[ Edited by: floratina 2008-09-02 20:16 ]

To me, the main instigators of conflict and overzealous political correctness in religions are individuals who insist on formality over spiritual content.

I find alcohol to be very spiritual. But really I thought this thread was about the new Luau in Bev hills?

F

On 2008-09-02 17:23, The Sperm Whale wrote:

To me, the main instigators of conflict and overzealous political correctness in religions are individuals who insist on formality over spiritual content.

I find alcohol to be very spiritual. But really I thought this thread was about the new Luau in Bev hills?

I liked his point, though.

On 2008-09-02 14:18, Bora Boris wrote:
My point was that in the bigger picture they'd probably not care that much as to fuss about it and if it made someone happy to drink out of a Buddha belly mug then they'd probably be glad that someone was happy.

I think in the big picture both Bhudda bars and Tiki bars offer a taste of the exotic and escapism; something different than a "Ruth Chris" steakhouse vibe and an opportunity for fusion cuisine.

It may just be that this is the era of the Bhudda bar, just as Tiki had its heyday (and is enjoying a resurgence now).

T

All that being said...I like Buddha. I love Japanese/Asian minimalism too.

I just wish that a restaurant named The LUAU would have some TIKI in it.

Does anyone know if they are open yet ?

T

A little bird told me that it might open around mid October.

Tweet

Tweet.

On 2008-09-06 22:45, RevBambooBen wrote:
Tweet

Tweet.

Ben, you used "T" words. heh,heh,heh.

It looks like it's just about ready to go. A certain Mr. BB (Big Bird) told me this will be open in October but I think it may take a while longer for Non-Showbiz Schmo's to get in. I'll start the schmoozing soon but I know it's gonna be pricey (I mean PRICEY PRICEY!) so I'll only schmooze people with expense accounts.

Beep Beep!

I hope they have swizzles! :)

It looks good from the outside, all it needs are some doorway guardian Tikis... But those, just like the real pronounced A-frame over the entrance that I saw in early sketches of the place would be too tacky, of course!

T

I feel like I need to organize a So. Cal posse to invade the restaurant shortly after opening to announce our love/alliance of tiki and attempt to influence the owners to "tiki-up"!

ie The "Luau" with no tiki? Like a Mai Tai with no Orgeat.

After all, this place is opening in MY backyard..

Any takers?

[ Edited by: TikiG 2008-09-22 11:05 ]

T

OMG ! Let it happen . Just because no one checked with each tiki central member personally does not mean its not happening . Its been in the works for quite some time and the final product will be delivered tomorrow . I wasnt going to say anything and hope to suprise you but they are taking quite a bashing and no one has even seen that there isnt a tiki yet. Please call off the vigilante squad . Now go on with your lives and wait for the opening . By the way, Bamboo Ben has done one hell of a job in there .Or has he ? No one realy has seen the inside yet .

On 2008-09-22 18:05, TIKI-RAY wrote:
OMG ! Let it happen . Just because no one checked with each tiki central member personally does not mean its not happening . Its been in the works for quite some time and the final product will be delivered tomorrow . I wasnt going to say anything and hope to suprise you but they are taking quite a bashing and no one has even seen that there isnt a tiki yet. Please call off the vigilante squad . Now go on with your lives and wait for the opening . By the way, Bamboo Ben has done one hell of a job in there .Or has he ? No one realy has seen the inside yet .

Well put Tiki Ray. With all this talk of Buddah I hope there is stained glass windows of the Virgin Mary while your at it.

On 2008-09-22 11:05, TikiG wrote:
I feel like I need to organize a So. Cal posse to invade the restaurant shortly after opening to announce our love/alliance of tiki and attempt to influence the owners to "tiki-up"!

I like your thoughts. However, the owners may or may not be hanging there when the possee shows up. It might be better to try and get the owner's info from B2, or some other manner.

Also, as the owners retained B2 for drink consulting, they may not be receptive to "your drinks suck" when they paid thousands of dollars for particular recipes.

None of this, however, means a try ought not be made. Be sure and post when the greeting party will arrive.

On 2008-09-02 20:18, floratina wrote:

On 2008-09-02 17:23, The Sperm Whale wrote:

I liked his point, though.

This is getting far afield, but I recall a story about the former Speaker of the California Assembly who used two bottles of an excellent and rare vintage to help resolve a previously insurmountable political divide.

T

On 2008-09-22 18:05, TIKI-RAY wrote:

WHAT ??? Tiki WHO ?

OK, I'll shutup now.

(cue the Jeopardy theme)

I'm waiting......

T

I just dropped off the tiki last night and I can't wait to dine there. The inside is just beautiful. I'm not allowed to post pics yet but I hope you all enjoy the detail, design,and effort to make a wonderful new dining location. Its tiki. Its swanky. Its cool !

T

OK, now I'm stoked. Thanx for the info Ray.

T

Thanks for the info Ray. Can't wait to check the place out. Keep us posted on the progress.

I peeked inside today.

I won't reveal any secrets, but I can say it's going to look awesome!

lot's o action today!!

who killed the power this morn???

getting closer....

it's gonna be goooood!

Peeked in the front door and through a hole in the paper covering the window.

VERY NICE! It looks great and appropriate for who, what and where it is.

I'll start saving for one of those spendy Grog Log cocktails now.
The drinks better be as nice as the finishes inside.

Cheers
Mark

This being LA, which A-List Celebs are going to grace the opening?
Otherwise, no press; no buzz, etc.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 287 replies