Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

New Luau in Beverly Hills?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 287 replies

Nice Review, Pi Phi Rho.

O
Otto posted on Thu, Dec 4, 2008 12:06 AM

Have any out-of-towners visited the new Luau restaurant?
If so do you have a reco for a cheap hotel nearby?

C

Hello All. I'm new to posting here but not new to Tiki. Wanted to share my firsthand experience at the new Luau Beverly Hills. Much has been made about the decor (which is nice) but not much has been said about eating here and it is first and foremost a restaurant...so here goes. First the summary: Food-very good. Service-excellent (contrary to some other reviews at other sites I read). Atmosphere-very good (it's definitely not kitschy tiki, it's high brow restaurant polynesian with some nice tiki accents). Cost-very high (if your drinking it's AT LEAST $100 per person so come prepared). So on to some details. I didn't take any photos, there is another review here by Phi Phi Rho with some great photos-check them out. My wife and I were celebrating her birthday so this was our excuse to spend way too much money on dinner & drinks. We started off with some drinks at the bar. I had the Mai Tai my wife had the Navy Grog. Both of them excellent. The Navy Grog a bit fruitier and sweeter than the Mai Tai but both with real nice, subtle flavors. Neither one was too sweet and the Mai Tai had some hints of ginger (i think) and mint and was as good as any I've had. We both had a few more and each was equally good and helped us reach a very nice Luau state of mind which was the whole point! On to the food...We started off with a nice Puupuu platter to sample the appetizers. All selections were quite tasty. The main course...I had the Halibut steamed in a banana leaf. My wife had the filet mignon (which I of course sampled). We also ordered a side of veggie fried rice and another side of bok choy. Plenty of food! The halibut was very nice with a fruity sauce on the side which added a lot to the fish. My wife's filet was really excellent with some interesting flat bread and rice on the side. Of the two dishes her's was the tastiest if a little heavier. The sides were also quite good. We skipped the dessert as we had had plenty of booze and food at this point. My general impression is, as I said before, very good-if overall not quite excellent. I'm going to have to reserve the excellent status for the time being, having been spoiled several times at the original Trader Vic's and several other Vic's across the country. Regarding the service...we dined on a Wednesday evening and this place was busy! Reservations are definitely recommended. The host was very helpful in getting us a booth which we really wanted and were willing to wait for. His attitude and attention to detail were top notch and when you're spending this kind of dough I feel it's imperative to get good service-which we did. The waitress was friendly and helpful but stayed nicely in the background except for when we needed her and frankly that's the kind of service I prefer. THE ATMOSPHERE...all right let's get down to brass tacks. It's cool, it's luxurious, it's Beverly Hills. It's not kitschy in the least which is something I really enjoy in Tiki but you won't find that here. It's got a very nice vibe, it's relaxing. There's some nice Moai lamps around the restaurant as well as some cool masks, some tapa paper with oceanic style patterns, and a lot of puffer fish-35 in the dining room alone. It's great. It did not blow me away but few places have. If you've ever been to the Dallas Trader Vic's-then in my opinion you've seen the best of high end, new style (kitsch free), polynesian decor. I was hoping for something up to that spec and the Luau isn't quite there, but that doesn't mean it's not a great place to go. The bottom line-if you've got the dough, you ought to go. Definitely take a trip up the stairway to the bathrooms (you'll probably have to anyway) there is a lot of split bamboo and it's maybe the most immersive tiki part of the restaurant. Two thumbs up! Hope you find this review useful.

yes thanks a lot,
very informative.
sounds good, and pricey,
but I figured that.
have to save up for my B-day next Oct.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Oh my! Velour pants!

TS

That must be Corey Hart, cuz I don't know anyone else who wears sunglasses at night... :lol: :D

On 2008-12-18 05:06, Bongo Bungalow wrote:
Oh my! Velour pants!

actually its a Velour jacket and just dress pants.
funny Jen Looks smokin hot in jeans.
rule number 1 ladys.
keep it simple.
no need to dress up.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

T

bigtikidude wrote:
"rule number 1 ladys. keep it simple. no need to dress up."

I couldn't disagree with you more. Especially when dining at a nice restaurant. I guess I'm old fashioned.

Something I've noticed a lot at Forbidden Island is that many women (of all ages) get decked out to go there, but often the guys they are with are just in T-shirts and jeans. C'mon guys, show a little style!

I don't even know who is in that picture! And I supposed to?

Thats Funny Jab, after I posted it, I thought I bet the Jab will chime in and disagree with me.
personal taste I guess.
the pic is Marc Anthony and Jennifer Lopez,
don't ask me why I know who they are.

Jeff(bigtikidude)

On 2008-12-18 05:03, RevBambooBen wrote:

omg - she looks hot !
but this clown looks like a real douchebag :)
(www.hotchickswithdouchebags.com)

T

Haha Jeff, you know me well!

O
Otto posted on Sun, Jan 4, 2009 10:33 PM

On 2008-12-18 05:03, RevBambooBen wrote:

Let's start a tradition, everyone from TC who goes to the Luau take your picture just like this shot and post them here!

O

So does Beverly Hill's have a Tiki Bar again or what? I hear the bar doesn't have bar stools?
WTF Steve? You really don't want the Tiki Now Agency paying a visit do you?
Get some bar stools and maybe then you can call your self a real Tiki Bar.

V
virani posted on Tue, Jan 6, 2009 8:29 AM

I can see bar stools on the pic.

O

Virani,
Are you talking about the bar stools in the original Luau postcard that was posted?

On 2008-11-05 10:58, PiPhiRho wrote:
I met some friends at the Luau on Sunday night.

Mahalos to Bamboo Ben, Tiki Ray and Jeff Berry for their great contributions.

The bar is integrated right into the lobby. There are no tables there. In fact, there is only ONE CHAIR in the bar, over by the window. Clearly, this is not a bar that is intended for hanging out and drinking in the bar and other than that it is standing room only. This clearly is intended to be a restaurant and not a bar. If you go there you need to get a table and have some pupus with your drinks.

On 2009-01-05 14:28, Ojaitimo wrote:
So does Beverly Hill's have a Tiki Bar again or what? I hear the bar doesn't have bar stools?
WTF Steve? You really don't want the Tiki Now Agency paying a visit do you?
Get some bar stools and maybe then you can call your self a real Tiki Bar.

I walked by the Luau a couple of months ago, and walked straight into the bar and sat down. The receptionist came over and asked me if I had a reservation in that "you don't really belong here, do you?" tone. I said no, I just wanted a drink. She said the bar was more of a service bar I was welcome to sit at the table. She apologized and did say that it was a stupid rule. I said no problem, left and went to the Trader Vic's Lounge at the Hilton.

C

There ARE definitely some chairs, about 6-8, at the bar at the new Luau. But the bar is "just for people waiting to be seated" says the host. Yes it's stupid. But I recommend this place for dinner for sure. I forgot to mention this in my review in a previous post.

CJ

Does anyone have an image of their menu or knows all the drinks they have? I went opening night and they only had a few drinks on the menu at the time but stated there was a lot more to come.

V

On 2009-01-06 11:07, Ojaitimo wrote:
Virani,
Are you talking about the bar stools in the original Luau postcard that was posted?

No, on the Jennifer Lopez picture. I can see bar stools in the back.

H

On 2009-01-16 07:18, Mongoloid wrote:
Not sure if i agree with the order of ranking!

http://theguide.latimes.com/Elina-Shatkin/lists/172412/best-tiki-bars-in-l-a

And I certainly don't agree with this comment:
"... the mark of a true tiki joint: drinks so sweet you don't notice how potent they are."

Visiting the original Luau in the early 60's is what hooked me into TIKI to begin with. This place will have a LOT to live up to. Looking forward to the photos and a review from you guys before I waste gas and $ on the 20 mile drive.

H

On 2009-01-16 13:07, barbiekemp wrote:
Visiting the original Luau in the early 60's is what hooked me into TIKI to begin with. This place will have a LOT to live up to. Looking forward to the photos and a review from you guys before I waste gas and $ on the 20 mile drive.

barbiekemp, you're just now posting after signing up to TC over three years ago? What took you so long?

Anyway, there ARE photos and reviews from TC'rs. So far the drinks and food rate a good score. Just read through the previous pages for the details.

M
Murph posted on Wed, Jan 28, 2009 3:15 PM

Another review of the Luau:
Luau

Not to stellar... $85 for overcooked Lobster!

Nothing to see here!!!! The article i was going to post is directly above! Oooops!

[ Edited by: Mongoloid 2009-01-29 11:31 ]

CJ

The top pic looks like Ben and the second one looks like Sven

K

WOW I've gotta check this place out!!!!!!!!!!!

K-billy deejay exotica extraordinare

http://www.thestylephile.com/blog/330000033/post/920036092.html?category_id=9467

I just need to figure out

how to get my name in Bold

like the others...... :wink:

T

On 2009-02-12 20:14, RevBambooBen wrote:
http://www.myfoxla.com/dpp/news/Style_File_Loree_Rodkin

cocoJo-

DH is my hero!

I was walking on the Venice boardwalk once and Dennis Hopper walked by. I was floored!

CJ

my awesome girlfriend who works near the Luau brought home a flyer for their sunday special which is:

Traditional Chinese Dinner $24.95 per person.

Pupus
choice of two:
egg roll, spare ribs, fire cracker shrimp or wagyo meatballs
Soup Of The Day

Entree
choice of:
Kung Pao Chicken, Broccoli Beef or Crispy Catfish Filet

Side Dishes
Mixed Vegetables
Choice of:
Vegetable Fried Rice or Steamed Rice

Dessert
Fortune Cookie and Almond Cookie

Then it states the bar opens at 6pm...why would they mention the bar hours???

T

I went on Saturday night at 6:30.

We were almost the first customers in the place, but it was filled when we finished. I noticed on walking in there is a bar with several stools, but unfortunately there is no bartender there. And there was no bartender there when we left. Why have a bar if you don't want people to drink there? And it's not very classic tiki bar of them to have no bar to sit at.

Decor: Lovely and elegant. I made a point of sitting near the wall of hands so I could see all the suspended puffer fish while I dined. I like many elements of the decor, but I don't get the hands so I didn't want a view of that, haha. But overall I liked it, and felt very comfortable.

Atmosphere: Vintage exotica music playing, if a little bit loud as we were the only people there at first. Lighting was pleasant if too bright (I always think it's too bright in restaurants, except for maybe at the Mai Kai).

Drinks: Sad to say they were not what I expected knowing that The Bum gave them the recipes. I had a Navy Grog (what else in Beverly Hills? TV R.I.P.) and a Jet Pilot. Both were watery and weak and seemed to be made of just Bacardi light instead of different rums. The color of them both was the same - light gold. Neither had a complex flavor but I could taste cinnamon in one of them. The friends I was dining with said the drinks were much better a few weeks ago. I'm afraid they aren't properly training the bartenders.

Food: Good to Very Good. My favorite was the tamarind glazed ribs appetizer. But for the prices, there is better food all over L.A.

Service: Very good.

I probably wouldn't go back soon because it's such a splurge, and the drinks were such a disappointment.

But people seem to like it because it was filled.

Sorry Ben, I am pretty picky (spoiled :wink:).

I'm looking forward to the new LA Trader Vic's!

CJ

YOU CAN SIT AT THE BAR! I was just there tonight and found this out. You can also have food at the bar but if you just want on drink that is fine.

C

Check out this coupon for the Luau Beverly Hills which I received from opentable.com. It doesn't say non-transferable so I see no reason why someone else couldn't print this out and use it. For safety sake if you plan to use it you might want to call ahead and verify that the coupon is still valid. Hey, 50% off...that makes the restaurant only expensive instead of super expensive. peace.

Aaaah! Now I see why everyone was so upset that they couldn't sit at that BAR! It is so....cutting edge! :D

but the giant hand says its OK.
:wink:

Jeff(bigtikidude)

Get over it.

Basically it all boils down to

If you don't like it,

"open your own perfect tiki bar."

( what's perfect?)

Ghee, guys, one would almost think you're taking this personal! One never should. Where is your famous sense of punk humor?

On 2009-03-28 22:35, bigbrotiki wrote:
Ghee, guys, one would almost think you're taking this personal! One never should. Where is your famous sense of punk humor?

Died when Lux did... :(

Sorry, Ben, I understand. I will never raise a finger against the hands again.

On 2009-03-28 22:54, bigbrotiki wrote:
Sorry, Ben, I understand. I will never raise a finger against the hands again.

Promise?

Hey, my wife and I made it to the Luau on Wednesday night. It was GREAT! We had 3 drinks--Navy Grog, Pearl Diver, and the Jet Pilot... they all tasted exactly like the recipe's in Beachbum Berry's books, not watery or off or anything; very deliciousWe loved the decor, very nice mod/tiki look (kudos Bamboo Ben). Especially loved the pufferfish-mass-murder display... Overall I was very impressed with the contemporary-upscale approach, a niche you don't see enough of in the tiki world.... it's really forward-looking.

On 2009-03-29 01:14, Quince_at_Dannys wrote:
Hey, my wife and I made it to the Luau on Wednesday night. It was GREAT! We had 3 drinks--Navy Grog, Pearl Diver, and the Jet Pilot... they all tasted exactly like the recipe's in Beachbum Berry's books, not watery or off or anything; very delicious

Good to hear, cheers!

... I was very impressed with the contemporary-upscale approach, a niche you don't see enough of in the tiki world.... it's really forward-looking.

Mmmmb...mmmmh....bbbmmmh..... (the sound of me biting my lips)

Sven,

You forgot to post this part...

"loved the decor, very nice mod/tiki look (kudos Bamboo Ben). Especially loved the pufferfish-mass-murder display..."

I support all my jobs as you support all your pages.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 287 replies