Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

The San Diego Chop and Much More! - March 10 !!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 192 replies

T

Count me in...also non-TC'er, Ray wants in as well. I should tell him he has to register at TC first just to make it official.

WTF??!! Am I destined to miss every Chop Chop from now till the end of time? Have business trip and won't be back till the 18th. Can't freaking believe it.

C
Cammo posted on Thu, Feb 8, 2007 7:00 PM

Hankster, that totally sucks. We wanted the whole scoop on your trip to the fair isles of Hava-ii.

I finished the "Spys in Space" CD, it has, git ready, this one is pretty swanky if ya ask me - James Bond themes, Man from Uncle, theme from The Blob, the original Telstar, 'Man in Space' from the Seattle World's Fair, the fight music from Star Trek, Theremin Bossa Nova, and the whole thing ends with a really enthusiastic, special effects-heavy gigantic London Orchestra version of a certain fabled 1960's spy show that took place in the old west...

Here she is

[ Edited by: Cammo 2007-02-08 19:01 ]

[ Edited by: Cammo 2007-02-08 19:02 ]

On 2007-02-08 09:08, tikihai wrote:
I should tell him he has to register at TC first just to make it official.

Let me be the first to welcome him. After a day at chopchop, he will be compelled to do so...

I had the distinct pleasure of hearing hippies 1 and 2 by MC MixmasterCammo: just when I thought it couldn't get worse, it did. Much worse! I liked the other 3-4 he made, though. Hippies would have got Noriega out of his compound...

I picked up the carving stands. We are good to go on those. I think I have 6-7. Thanks Ona and Moki.

I have a weightlifting belt for the tiki stand up...Sounds like a good World's Strongest Man competition event. Where's Magnus VonMagnesson when we need him

Let's rock!

Buzzy Out!

H

Buzzy where are the coconuts?

C
Cammo posted on Mon, Feb 12, 2007 7:50 AM

Wood-n't you like to know?

That's pretty bad.

Hey,and I repeat - the scariest thing about those Hippie CDs is that those were wildly popular songs!

Hey, anybody have a mallet they'd like to sell? Elsewise it's back to the Depot.

Since I didn't make it to the last Chop Chop. I have the when, I just need the where and time! So, please PM moi.

Also, since I will be driving up from the LA area, I was thinking of leaving late Fri. night (in order to avoid traffic and to be a bit more energized and refreshed for the chop chop)...so if any one has any ideas of a cheap hotel/motel -- I'm all ears!

Cheers!

Cheeky, I PMed you the info. :)

Anyone else need the info? Speak up!

Any lurkers want in on the fun? Post, and be added to the list!

K
Koka posted on Tue, Feb 13, 2007 4:55 AM

Aloha! A newb here, I wish I could drive down for to the Chop but I have to work that day :( I have a couple of tikis (purchased) but am jones'in to learn to carve.
Maybe I can make the next chop...

I'm planning on driving down on Friday. If anyone is interested in getting together and hitting a tiki spot? I'll leave work early on Friday so I can get to the San Diego around 8:30-ish or possibly earlier. If no takers--then I'm just going to leave late and avoid all the traffic.

M
mieko posted on Tue, Feb 13, 2007 3:13 PM

Hey Cheeky - I wish I was organized enough to commit to something on Friday night, but my schedule has been wacky. Of course it doesn't help when I spend all night carving instead of doing laundry. :)

Looking forward to Saturday, deciding what to bring, I've got a new big log to dig into, but I'll need some help with it. :) It's a little too heavy for me to deal with. I also need the ends evened up if anyone can do so with their chainsaw.

Spam Musubis will be there, we saying 9am -ish again?

On 2007-02-13 15:13, mieko wrote:

Spam Musubis will be there, we saying 9am -ish again?

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam musuuuuuuuuuubis :)

I'm bringin my guy back again...all this resin work has left me no carving time. I hope to put a dent in him and steal another biggy from 4wd :wink:

9-ish, yes. Til whenever, I guess. :wink:

Yes some logs will be available.

My friend Colin is coming, he's not on this board, but I'll put his name on the list.

I'll bring a big ice chest again with plenty of soda and water. I'll whip up some sort of hors d'oeuvres again too.

I also need some chain saw help. If anyone is willing to split a stump for me, please let me know, and I'll bring it along too. I wanted to make a couple of masks from it.

4wd has a saw...i'll have mine also.....so chips will fly!!!!

M
mieko posted on Tue, Feb 13, 2007 4:18 PM

Oooo, masks... That's on my list.. and they'd be easier for me to take to future Chop Chops... I might need more chainsaw help than I thought. :)

Stump splitting will be one of the services offered. :)

C
Cammo posted on Wed, Feb 14, 2007 5:43 AM

Is this Chop Chop rain or shine? Cause I'm comin even if Highway 5 washes out. I'll carve in a canoe this time.

And yeah, how about splitting a palm log and dicing it up for masks? Masks are COOL, and you sure can get a lot of them out of 1 log. You can burn the inside, then hollow it out, burn it hollow it out... just like in the good old days.

Saturday's forecast is lookin' good.

C

Holy cripes, it's spring!

I'm ditching the canoe and bringing a tube of 60 SPF sunscreen.

I have never been to a chop. I will be in San Diego this weekend and would love to attend. Can someone send me the information?

PM sent.

Current forecast for Saturday is partly cloudy, high of 72. :D

B

Ah nuts! I gotta stop reading this thread! :(

Have good time everybody! I'll see you at the next one!

Clysdalle, behave yourself around the SPAM!! :)

Dave

C
Cammo posted on Fri, Feb 16, 2007 8:46 AM

Sorry, Dav, don't read this post.

I'm giving away the following book at tomorrow's Chop;

Just answer one of the following three questions -and you have to be at the Chop to collect the prize.

1. Which San Diego antiques shop has a new Hawaiian coffee bar and tiki memorobilia section at the back? This place has a big tiki at the side, advertising the place.

2. Which San Diego restaurant serves a Tiki drink in a Shamu-style mug that you can buy? (It's not at Sea World, either)

3. Where in San Diego is this photo of a South Seas mini-putt course taken? -

First to post a correct answer has a new (well, 90's era) bar guide.

C
Cammo posted on Fri, Feb 16, 2007 6:37 PM

Hey, if those puzzles are too hard, try this;

What Shelter Island Hotel Lobby is this? Hint; it's not Humphrey's Half Moon...

See ya tomorrow!

H

I feel like chopped liver.

H

Hey everyone, this is Colin. I had a great time today and I'm hooked. I hope to see you all again at the next chop. :D

mieko, the Spam Musibis was awesome!!

Z
Zaya posted on Sat, Feb 17, 2007 6:58 PM

Thanks again for another great San Diego Chop Chop! What a beautiful day it was. Here are my pictures from today's event starting with one of The Harlem Globetrotters tour bus that I saw on my way over. Too bad I couldn't have flagged them down to have them give us some lunchtime entertainment! :)

Another tiki rising!

Oh Clysdalle, you big baby! :)

Here's one of Cammo training for the World's Strongest Man competition! :)

I'm ready for the next one!

Zaya

T

Hey Zaya...nice pix...I am a little tired from chopping all day, but I thought I would post mine up tonight also. Had a great time, met wonderful people, enjoyed the awesome weather and looking forward to another get together. Thank You Bill for hosting.

C
Cammo posted on Sun, Feb 18, 2007 6:42 AM

Get on the BUS! The Tiki Carving Harlem Globetrotters Tour Bus!

Thanks to 4WD for the logs, once again, and that big boy tiki is one slick piece of work. WOW!

I still say Buzzy's little guy is carved out of soap.

The food was ULTIMO.

My "Mr. Quick & Ugly" needs a few more hours work. It ain't so quick and I'll try not not make it too ugly, either.

Newbies were enthusiastic. That one guy next to Clysdalle was chopping like a pro! (Lets put a funny hat on him and call him 'Crazy Ken') That thin guy who was asking all the questions looks like a ringer!

And I sincerely promise to never again ask disturbingly obscure Tiki Questions.

Such as -

What giant bayside San Diego Tiki-style hotel is featured in the 1967 Jerry Lewis movie 'The Big Mouth'? It's in a huge amount of scenes, Jerry basically lives there and goes to Sea World for fun.

Here's the answers to the earlier questions -

1."Timeless Collectibles" on Adams Ave. The coffee bar is called "The Retro Bar". Inside the antique shop, they also have a huge amount of 50's and 60's barware, it's incredible. Kate is now on the hunt, I know she's going there today. Good shootin', Kate.

1. The "China Inn", in PB, 877 Hornblend. This place has the cheapest and maybe the best Tiki Drinks in town, each comes in its own special mug. It has an extremely mysterious upstairs, too. The bathrooms are located upstairs in a big space, but you go outside and there isn't any upstairs, it's a one story building!

2. The Mini-Putt is at the Paradise Point Resort, a great place. Bring a putter and ball and play for free anytime. Also try their Barefoot Bar after a long day of golf.

3. This lobby is from Shelter Island's other tiki hotel, the "Island Palms". It's like Humphreys Half Moon's little sister, right next door.

Laytah.

This was such a good time!!! Thank you all for coming. It's a cool, fun and talented group we have going. Let's keep it going. :thumbsup:

It was actually hot for awhile, considering it's February. Much better than the last one.

We had a delicious spread of food, potluck-style. Mieko's parents again went above-and-beyond in that category.

Cammo debuted some new mix CD's, notably Spies in Space!

My wife gave an impromptu seminar on how to make Ti leaf leis, look for the pictures of feet in tiki hai's post above.

I cannot wait for the next Chop. Can we have these weekly? :D :wink:

PS Did anyone happen to get any pics of Gretta carving? She was the lttle girl from nxt door with the blond hair.

[ Edited by: 4WDtiki 2007-02-18 18:33 ]

M
Moki posted on Sun, Feb 18, 2007 7:40 PM

We're sorry we missed all the fun, but hopefully we'll make the next one.

'Ona was able to find a little piece of driftwood that he carved with a pen knife just so he wouldn't feel left out. Here's a picture of the finished piece.

Just kidding....but he is finding lots of inspiration and spam musubis (they are at every ABC store and 7-11)

See you guys soon!!
ALOHA!!!

Great work kids. Sorry I couldn't make it.

Last week a buddy called me and said he couldn't make an mtb race in Tookson. I stock checked my gear and headed out early Fri. morn.
We won the race AND the party! I tried to whittle a Ku, but it is really tough when you are trying to empty a keg. During the awards ceremony with were taking turns decanting the beer into gallon jugs. Ten minutes before we were called up to get the trophy we killed the keg. :thumbsup:

Cammo, I didn't know it was a timed test. I knew the answers!

Next time!

Signature? I ain't signin nothin!

[ Edited by: Mr. NoNaMe 2007-02-19 08:19 ]

On 2007-02-18 06:42, Cammo wrote:
What giant bayside San Diego Tiki-style hotel is featured in the 1967 Jerry Lewis movie 'The Big Mouth'? It's in a huge amount of scenes, Jerry basically lives there and goes to Sea World for fun.

The Hilton?

Great time everybody....I'm really excited about the number of newbies we had...it's great to see so many people wanting to learn. Thanks to the hosts again, that place is becoming the clup house! Thanks to everyone how brought food and did I see a cake! woohoooooo, Booze, cake and sharp metal tools...now that is fun!

So, when is the next one :wink:

On 2007-02-19 11:52, Clysdalle wrote:
So, when is the next one :wink:

March! :wink:

C
Cammo posted on Mon, Feb 19, 2007 3:47 PM

F'n RIGHT!

Hey Freddie, you're keerekt! The Hilton was originally a tiki-islander themed hotel. I don't know anything about it's original name/owners, etc., it probably wasn't a Hilton then, but it would make a great research project. You can walk around the place exactly where Jerry Lewis was, the walls and outside locales are easy to spot. There were island murals, rat-pack era decor, it's really cool in the movie. I have a sneakin' suspician that EVERY hotel in San Diego was Tiki-ized in the 60's...

Thanks again for hosting Bill. It's just the most wonderful place to carve.

Bill and Clysdalle - Thank you so much for the chain saw help.

Cammo - Thanks for the CDs and the trivia contest prize. That book is a total crack up.

Mieko - Thanks for lending me the riffler. It still can't hold anything in my left hand. I think my wrist needs to rest up for a few more days. Apparently, that's what you get for "going deep." Please thank your parents for the shade and the food. I've never eaten so much Spam in one day.

Everyone - Thanks for being such a great group to hang out with.

I'm hoping to finish up all four of my tikis before the next Chop Chop. I'll send out links to the pictures when I get them done.

B

Cool, lotsa new people! Thanks for posting so many pictures. Feels like maybe I was there afterall.

M

Woot! What a great day! Can't wait for the next one - can we have it at 4WD's again??? It's such a nice place to carve while we have it available.

I loved the ti leaf lei demonstration, Can we think about doing a demo of something each month? Mold making and resin casting would be a good one I think, if some of the new "pros" want to throw something together. Clysdalle mentioned a mug making one that we can think about for the future, and I can always do a Musubi making demo. :)

Thanks to our wonderful hosts, the lei's were amazing, the limeaid delicious, the wontons awesome, it's just a great place. :)

Oh, and you can't tell from the pictures, but I just wanted to point out that Cheekygirl, Kate and I were the last ones carving - all the guys wimped out early. Girl Carvers Rule!

All the newbies were great! Colin - glad to see you've signed up! Great job for a first tiki!

C

Can we call Colin "Chet" instead?

My right arm tendons still hurt.

On 2007-02-20 11:02, mieko wrote:
Can't wait for the next one - can we have it at 4WD's again??? It's such a nice place to carve while we have it available.

I'll second that nomination. (As long as Bill's willing to put up with us all again.)

H

On 2007-02-20 11:08, Cammo wrote:
Can we call Colin "Chet" instead?

Does the name Colin bring back some bad memories? :D

You can call me "Chet" as long as it's not because you think I look like "Chet" from Weird Science. :wink:

Hey everyone, Melissa and I had a great time. The food was great and we couldn't have hoped for better weather. I learned a lot and I'm excited to start carving here in Vegas. Can't wait for the next one and if any of you ever make out this way drop us a line.

Mike and Melissa

On 2007-02-20 12:42, Tiki-Kate wrote:

On 2007-02-20 11:02, mieko wrote:
Can't wait for the next one - can we have it at 4WD's again??? It's such a nice place to carve while we have it available.

I'll second that nomination. (As long as Bill's willing to put up with us all again.)

Let's pick a date! :D

Z
Zaya posted on Tue, Feb 20, 2007 8:09 PM

The weekend of March 10th or 11th looks good to me. Would either one of those days work for you 4WDtiki? How about everyone else?

Zaya

B

March 10 or 11 works for me. I can do a resin casting demo if anyone is interested-but I must have Spam! :)

[ Edited by: Tikidav 2007-02-21 08:04 ]

P

i might come down for one if someone can put me up for a night or two.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 192 replies