Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / California Events

The San Diego Chop and Much More! - March 10 !!!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 192 replies

Hey Koka, if you're talking about those two big logs, they are sitting on public land for anyone to snag. Or we MAY go out there Sunday, depending.
You want to come to the Chop? There will be some extra wood to carve...

On 2007-03-04 12:50, 4WDtiki wrote:
Hey Koka, if you're talking about those two big logs, they are sitting on public land for anyone to snag. Or we MAY go out there Sunday, depending.

This palm was taken down because it was diseased and was dying. If you bring it back to your house, you may infect the same types of palms on your property(or the neighbors) with it, if you have any, that is. Many companies do not work with these trees because of the cross contamination issues. The companies that do are usually very expensive, because new blades are used for each tree worked on. It is also necessary to sterilize the blades and saws constantly. The dust from cutting these transfers the diseases quite easily. In Solana Beach or Del Mar, it is actually illegal to cut one of these trees up and remove it. You are required to dig it up,crane it out, and haul it away in one piece on a flat bed. Last year, a tree service was complying with this ordinance and the crane lifting the tree out fell over. The tree service then had to hire the largest crane in California to come down from LA and pick up the fallen crane and the tree. I think they lost about $25,000 on that one tree.
Point is, be careful with these trees if you go and get them and use them around your trees...

Hey Mieko, that is the same type of tree I have pieces of that you saw in my secret tree service lot stash a couple months back. Remember those big chunks we were checking out? Those are the same tree type, just lacking that pesky disease.

A couple months back Lake surfer started a thread with a link about the palms in LA dying. Same type as this one. The problem in lA is that the city tree services for years cross contaminated all of their trees when working on them. The funny thing about that article is that they failed to mention how trees are doing on private property in LA...According to the same article that says no more palms in SoCal, the nursuries cannot keep the new trees in stock because they sell so many. Well, maybe there will be a day when there are no palms on city property, at least...

Buzzy

M
Moki posted on Sun, Mar 4, 2007 3:53 PM

On 2007-03-02 16:29, 4WDtiki wrote:

She has a wholesale source that charges $5 a bundle of 20. It takes 2-3 leaves to make one lei.

If she can get a bundle or two, I certainly pay her back. I checked at the Ranch 99 and had no luck.

Moki and Mieko, I'll have her get a couple bundles.

Anyone notice Buzzy's back?!? :up: :o :D Hope you can make it, dude!

Also, Monica, are you guys bringing Erik???

[ Edited by: 4WDtiki 2007-03-04 15:58 ]

MN

OK. I am in.

I have been getting back on the bicycle and not posting AND NOT carving. But, I AM IN! I'll bring the one I started and prolly finish it. I hope.

K
Koka posted on Sun, Mar 4, 2007 9:04 PM

I can't make this chop, but want to get to one. I see the tikis and I get super motivated!! I have recently cut down a Mex fan palm and waiting for it to dry out...
Whats up with a diseased palm? I have 30+ palms and don't want to infect them. If the log was on the drive way with in 5-10 feet of Queen palms would that be a prob?

Sounds like this is shaping up to be a killer chop-chop with lots of carvers (some newbies and of course us older newbies), clay and resin demos and such.

So, what's on the menu? I was thinking of bringing a big party tray of Hawaiian style potato-mac salad from a local place here in RSM called Ona Ona (and beer). Seemed like everybody like it okay at Mieko's Chop - at least there wasn't much left afterwards! I could probably pick it up here in the morning then shoot on down...

Which brings up another important question - when should we start? It's rare that I get a whole day of carving let alone a few hours, so it would be cool to start reasonably early. But then again, don't want anyone answering the door in jammies with pillow head, eh??!!. Bill???

A-A

Doors open at 9AM. :wink:

Mac salad sounds good, bring it! We'll have the gas grill ready to fire up for anyone who wants to bring grill items.

Aaron and Erik, glad you'll be here. I'll add you names to the list.

C

On 2007-03-05 05:35, 4WDtiki wrote:
Doors open at 9AM. :wink:

and I'm usually outside the door asking if Bill can come out and play at 9:01

this chop sounds f'n great!!! I can't wait to get started!

On 2007-03-02 13:20, CheekyGirl wrote:
:( So very jealous! I'm going to miss the chopping & the casting. I will be returning from my SF that day. Ah shucks -- I'll be there next chop chop!

Cheeky, why don't you just keep driving a little further, and you'll be here!

M
mieko posted on Mon, Mar 5, 2007 7:14 AM

My parents will cook up a batch of yakisoba (noodles) like always, and I'm assuming that I need a batch of spam musubi, otherwise Clysdalle will kick me out. Potato-mac salad sounds great, I could bring an extra cooler if we need space to store food that needs to be kept cool.

C

On 2007-03-05 07:14, mieko wrote:
and I'm assuming that I need a batch of spam musubi, otherwise Clysdalle will kick me out.

as long as you know that :wink:

i'll bring some micro brew from a local brewery for peeps to try....and a small cooler

On 2007-03-04 15:53, Moki wrote:

On 2007-03-02 16:29, 4WDtiki wrote:

She has a wholesale source that charges $5 a bundle of 20. It takes 2-3 leaves to make one lei.

If she can get a bundle or two, I certainly pay her back. I checked at the Ranch 99 and had no luck.

Have you tried in Mira Mesa? By Mira Mesa Blvd. & Black Mountain Rd. there's Lucky Seafood Market and Seafood City Market, both of which have a big selection of products from the South Pacific & SE Asia.

T

On 2007-03-04 10:16, Tikidav wrote:

I was planning on it being a demo Kate, but if you would like to learn more about doing your own casting, we could see about getting you started like Clysdalle, Mr. NoNaMe and Moki did.

That would be great. Does it matter what the piece you are casting is made of? I have a vintage plastic pendant that I'd like to use.

M
Moki posted on Mon, Mar 5, 2007 9:46 PM

On 2007-03-05 19:48, Tiki-Kate wrote:

That would be great. Does it matter what the piece you are casting is made of? I have a vintage plastic pendant that I'd like to use.

I think it would work, but I'm not the pro. Bring it and Dave can look at it and tell you for sure.

If you put in an order from Vangard, they ship really quick and you'll have your stuff the next day.

B
Bowana posted on Tue, Mar 6, 2007 7:34 PM

On 2007-03-05 21:46, Moki wrote:

I think it would work, but I'm not the pro. Bring it and Dave can look at it and tell you for sure.

What Moki said!

MN
Tiki Central - Exception

Oh no.

An error occurred. Site administrators have been notified of the error.