Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

The show me your Witco thread.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 1,611 replies

Super nice. Wendy

Found it, weirdly crammed sideways onto a page touting the Voyager Collection (p. 238 Tiki Modern):

Dig the Polynesian Pop poetry!
I estimate it to be from the late 60s, before the bars became more organic, less blocky in shape, and catalogs went full color

[ Edited by: bigbrotiki 2016-02-20 08:53 ]

Crazy!! The Tahitian! Thanks bigbro!!! Now I need to track down some of those paddles...

T

I have that back bar if you need one.

Thanks skip! I actually have one of those in leopard. But now that spring is coming, I finally need to get some lights from you for the back. Throw me a pm when you get a chance!

T

It's cool to see that it had a back and that towel rack.
Mine is gone.

Will do on the pm, want to have a group of locals over when it get nice.
as in nice all the time.
We can all work on tiki crap and drink.

On 2016-02-14 09:41, danlovestikis wrote:

We just found this. Looks Witco to me. It's very old. There are numbers and letters on the bottom that I can't make out. Wendy

yeah thats witco - hala kahiki used to have the same one or one similar looking on the end of the bar.

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2016-03-20 17:16 ]

picked up these 3 witco masks today - if you notice the tall one, it just so happened that i coincidentally spied it in the catalog clip big bro posted above. same face but mine doesn't have the spears crossed behind it. i'll have to make those myself.

the witco shield i picked up last weekend - its missing the two bottom spears. big bro if you are reading this, if you have a picture of what this shield looked like complete, i could make the missing pieces for myself.

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2016-03-20 17:19 ]

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2016-03-20 17:20 ]

I got super lucky in (land locked) north Texas and stumbled across this set. Paid a little more than I had planned, but acquiring so many cool pieces at one time was too much to resist.

I'm about to get a guy to rewire all the bulb sockets, they're original Witco which means they're right around 54 or so years old and the wires aren't in the best shape. The shadow box only half works right now I snapped a pic at the risk of burning down my house. :)

Looking forward to cleaning it all up, waxing it down, and get the room decorated around it. Also looking forward to spending more time getting ideas from some of the great room and bar creations here!

That is a killer haul with a couple really rare pieces. That bar & swag lamp don't come up often, and that light box is extremely scarce. Congrats!

On 2016-04-27 06:49, happy buddha wrote:
That is a killer haul with a couple really rare pieces. That bar & swag lamp don't come up often, and that light box is extremely scarce. Congrats!

Thanks happy buddha - I know I got super-super lucky. The guy I got them from said his father traded a VW Beetle for the set in 1972. Since there was a Witco showroom in Dallas I'm wondering (theorizing) that it all came from there.

Wow! Congrats.

Amazing score for Texas. I've been hunting the DFW area, Austin, and Houston for many years and have only found one minor Witco wall hanging and little else of any vintage tiki worth buying. Congrats.

On 2016-04-29 11:33, Chuck Lava wrote:
Amazing score for Texas. I've been hunting the DFW area, Austin, and Houston for many years and have only found one minor Witco wall hanging and little else of any vintage tiki worth buying. Congrats.

Thanks Chuck. After perusing all 100 pages of this thread looking for appropriate/matching bar stools I realized just how lucky I got. :) Timing is everything.

G

I traded a Turbo Grafx CD system for this a while back. I would really like to know what the original shade looked like if anyone has a picture. I added that Mai Kai mug for scale.

gabbahey

Tiki Modern pg 181. Most of the Witco shades were a pretty bland off-white. He would look good with a leopard one tho

I bought this Witco World in Chicago. It is unlike any I have seen. It is definitely old. It has the real Witco tag on the back. Anybody know anything about it? Was it before or after the pretty one we all know, love and covet? I am not in love with this one, but figured it is a Witco World, and I can make it work in the Lei Over Lounge among my other Witco pieces, like the outrigger I got years ago from Bigbrotiki!

A later, 70s version of their best selling mod one, it is still pretty cool - and rarer! :)

K

The pictures above are of an interesting discovery I made yesterday (June 17).

My brother and I were visiting a friend in Mt. Vernon, WA. While we were walking around I spotted a box full of wooden shapes. I examined them and told our friend that they looked like Witco pieces in progress. He said that would make sense, since the house was once owned by Harold Christenson (not sure if the spelling is right), who once worked as a shop foreman with Witco.

Included in the box were some horse heads that had been shaped with a band saw but hadn't been detailed or burned yet. There were three fish, two intact, that had been shaped and burned. I found a piece that was obviously one of the continents from the globe/map. There is also a large horse head with some detail added and a shape I don't recognize; it looks like a medallion or crest or something. In addition there were several small pieces that were u-shaped or hook shaped. You can see some of them in the picture.

This box of stuff was in the house attic, and our friend was cleaning it out. He had already taken a load of pieces to the dump, including an intact Witco frame. I told him to hang on to the remaining pieces and I would post pictures on Tiki Central to see if anyone thinks they're important.

If anyone has any info or thoughts, please post. I don't own these pieces and have no stake in whatever happens to them. If you want to get them out of our friend's hands and into yours, let me know and I'll see if I can connect you. Once again, there's nothing in it for me except the giddiness of having discovered these interesting works in progress.

Coooool. I would be asking the guy if I could rummage through his attic & basement :) I think those hook-shaped pieces are from the flying ducks/geese wall hanging. Nice little piece of Witco history; thanks for sharing! And your dog looks totally stoked :)

Picked up 2
Unfortunately kept outside
So a bit rough

Multiple coats of
"Howard feed-n-wax"

R

Very pleased today to add an update to our previous posting here. A recent eBay win has brought a second Witco cat piece to our collection, "Cat Parade." Once again, our cat Neko approves, and it finally represents fully the 3 actual cats in our household:

It hangs in our hallway across from "Color Cat," of which you can read more here: http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=20416&forum=5&vpost=402721

Aloha,
Rupe

Picked up this viking ship with outrigger from a fellow vintage dealer in the area for a very reasonable price.

It's freakin' pristine. She let it go because they're remodeling they're house and no longer have a place for it. Funny thing is, she originally got it from a friend of ours who used to be a dealer at our shop. Nice to know it's been in good hands these past several years and we can now give it a new loving forever home.

It's replacing our other Witco ship in my office which I also love and now need to figure out where to put.

T

Not mine.

I came across this bar for sale last weekend. I was ecstatic to finally have an opportunity to buy a Witco bar! And the price was incredible.

It was a journey to go get it. Take a look at the video that I put together about the whole experience: http://thehulagirls.blogspot.com/2016/07/a-look-at-our-home-bar-breezeway-and.html

Congrats on the find! I really like the new direction you're taking with the Breezeway. It was awesome before but now has much more of a classic tiki bar style.

What was the song playing in the intro of the video?

And you should have grabbed that mid century chair and somehow crammed it into the Econoline. Would have been amazing refinished/reupholstered. Looked possibly Pearsall.

[ Edited by: mikehooker 2016-07-28 10:22 ]

I bought this guy at an antique mall (they had no idea what he was), but I can't find another Witco tiki quite like him on the Interwebs. Any chance he isn't even Witco? The most similar thing I found was a taller tiki, posted here last year by KokoKele (see below). Does anyone know more about this little guy? In some ways he almost doesn't seem rough-hewn enough to be Witco. Your thoughts?

Meanwhile, here are the photos from KokoKele's significantly larger Witco tiki:

On 2015-12-02 20:06, KokoKele wrote:

Thanks for noticing the transformation of the bar, Mike! My ex and I wanted it to be tiki-modern when we built it. Since then, and since that relationship, I've wanted to go more towards the earlier years of tiki. Authenticity is my new goal.

The music at the beginning is actually just me and my roommate, Kevin Stewart, covering an old Enchanters' song from 1960 called Tum Tiki. It's just electric guitar, baritone guitar and upright bass. No drums at all. A different version of that song will be on the new Hula Girls' record.

And that chair? Yeah, I looked at it and the bottom was a total mess. I knew that if I dragged that thing home, it would just sit that way till I either tried to restore it myself or ended up paying someone else to handle it for me. No thanks... I already have too many of those 'projects' laying around. Haha...

I built a riser for the new bar, this past weekend:

C
cy posted on Wed, Aug 24, 2016 8:17 PM

That is a beautiful room Spike! Not sure about these two but I don't care I liked them. No markings and I checked catalogs but could not find if they are Witco king and queen or not.

You like em
That's what it's all about sir
Your house
Your rules
:)

Witco Sea witch with some of my collection

Witco Shelf without my mugs on it yet

After seeing the Witco tiki bar that I found and bought, Erich Troudt told me that he had the matching stools that he'd be willing to sell to me! They just needed a little work.

So I went out to his place and picked them up. You can see the whole story (and his incredible bar, here: http://thehulagirls.blogspot.com/2016/08/sweet-redemption-and-incredible-home.html )

I was ecstatic about them as they sat, but I had ideas of restoration in my mind...

I pulled the seat covers off of them and tore off the cushions.

The owner of the stools before Erich had clear coated them and it was looking pretty bad. After about 5 minutes of trying to scrape the stuff off, I thought about doing the unimaginable... Re-burning these Witco stools. I've used my torch on a lot of wood and knew what to expect, but burning vintage Witco seemed like a dangerous idea. It seemed to be the only solution though.

Here are the side by side pics. The one on the right was torch burned and brushed with a bbq grill brush.

I thought the results were incredible after some Burt's Bees Wax!

Next up were the covers. I found some material and had a guy make new covers based off of the old ones.

Love how they came out!

100 furniture tacks and staples and I fit them back on.

Astro approved, though his ears folded down makes him look a little concerned about being up on the stool.

Thanks again for hooking me up, Erich!

Awesome Spike, i love seeing you add onto your tiki bar on Instagram, and it inspires me to someday build my own.

Thanks!

Anyone sen this version before? W-200
https://tikicentral.com/uploads/506/584d9348.jpg

On 2016-12-11 09:58, bongofury wrote:
Anyone sen this version before? W-200
https://tikicentral.com/uploads/506/584d9348.jpg

I have never seen that one. There are some like it for sale on the web. The frame seems a bit different from Witco's plain frame designs. The little pieces in the corners seem a bit off as well. I may be all wrong though. Cool piece.

The frame is over 2 1/2" thick and carved. The metal pieces in the corner match the metal map.

yep it's witco. Have seen a few of those in the past

It's a heavy metal world :)

Pulled 2 out of Arizona

Candle holder

Hanging planter

Worst sound ever, slurp of an empty tiki mug through my straw!!!

[ Edited by: Hang10tiki 2017-02-07 19:48 ]

Tag said: "wood guy"

hang10 - awesome! That guy is hard to find; been looking for him for ages. Congrats!

btw there's one of those guys on display at Hala Kahiki. He wears a swath of leopard print around his neck.

HB- thanks
Love it
Missing the scarf :)
But the staples on the back of his neck prove it was at one time

Two pics of him in Tiki Modern

Worst sound ever, slurp of an empty tiki mug through my straw!!!

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2017-04-02 05:46 ]

Looks like a Witco / Witco clone to me?

The gentleman pictured is the seller of the unit, not myself.

Snagged a Witco llama!

Nice

Meow!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 1611 replies