Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Collecting Tiki

The show me your Witco thread.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 1,611 replies

TD

[ Edited by: TIKI DAVID 2012-12-10 06:20 ]

Is that in as good as shape as it looks in the picture? regardless, score!

TD

[ Edited by: TIKI DAVID 2012-12-10 06:20 ]

David, How many Witco Worlds have you found over the years? more than a couple, I think!

HT

I think that's the nicest yet.

Hi!
I recently found this at a salvage store. I found some sites about Witco and was informed that it is in fact Witco called golden cloud and was carved around 1968. I don't really know about this type of art and cannot find anything really like it. The other ship carvings that were made seem to be mounted on a fabric background. Does anyone know how much something like this is worth? I've seen Witco for $100-$1000...Thanks!!!

Candy,
nice find. here's some another nautical tidbit."Stand by for a ram"
Cheers

D
Dagg posted on Thu, Dec 6, 2012 9:42 PM

Lol

It's worth between $100 - $1000

AT least you have done some research - Good luck selling it on Ebay!

And... Candy found the right thread... gotta give her that.

Are you guys seriously being mean? I didn't realize the underground Tiki world was so much cooler than me. I have researched a ton and as I said this is the only one like this I have found. Ken Pleasant was kind enough to try to find it for me in his archives and found out what I know thus far. I'm not trying to sell it, it's part of my home and there's a very sentimental story behind it. It was a simple innocent question. Good luck with your karma.

S

And we gave you the answer you were looking for

Value - is only based on what someone will pay which would be anywhere between $100-$1000. Simple and you already had the right idea about a dollar amount

Ebay - is where everyone here that asks for value of a piece goes after we tell them what something is worth

This thread - is for showing Witco and you stuck your photo where it belonged on the forum

Research - looked like you already did it

Relax....no one was "being mean" everyone answered your question(s)

Good luck keeping or selling it in the future. The.End.

That's really cool; I would not have even pegged it as a Witco.

Never seen that 'relief sculpture' style in the ships before. Definitely rare, I'd say.

My apologies, I must have misunderstood. I appreciate the feedback sincerely.
Cheers

S

On 2012-12-07 14:32, candy61981 wrote:
My apologies, I must have misunderstood. I appreciate the feedback sincerely.
Cheers

Its the internet...misunderstandings are what it was created for.

and cheers right back!

Hi All,

I am new to this group, not sure if I am in the right place. My find...I am the original owner of a Witco livingroom set: sofa, coffee table, 2 end tables, 2 lamps, a sailboat pic, a chair & an ottoman. I am presently starting to think about retirement & downsizing-this may mean finding a new home for my set as my daughters do not love it as I do. I live just outside the Boston area & am looking to connect with others that may be interested to know more (pics available). Please let me know your thoughts.

HT

On 2012-12-08 11:23, palau1953 wrote:
Hi All,

I am new to this group, not sure if I am in the right place. My find...I am the original owner of a Witco livingroom set: sofa, coffee table, 2 end tables, 2 lamps, a sailboat pic, a chair & an ottoman. I am presently starting to think about retirement & downsizing-this may mean finding a new home for my set as my daughters do not love it as I do. I live just outside the Boston area & am looking to connect with others that may be interested to know more (pics available). Please let me know your thoughts.

If you're interested in selling it, we have a Marketplace Forum. Post photos, a price, and all the information you have.

Got my first witco this past xmas:

I actually received a pair of "Tahitian Lovers". Here's the other one:

These both came from a storage locker that was owned by the proprietors of Sacramento's Coral Reef. They most likely hung not in the restaurant itself, but in the Coral Reef Lodge.

The first piece is in fairly good condition. The backing board has a puncture in one spot, but you can't really tell from the front. Overall, I only had to do minor scuff touch ups and hanging wire replacement.

Here it is after cleanup and hanging:

The other piece has significant water damage.

The backing looks really bad and is warped.

The front has some minor water stains but doesn't look too bad under low light. I hung it in a dark corner of my tiki room. I'm sorely tempted to try to restore it, though.

What's the current take on Witco restoration? It seems like it wouldn't take much to replace the backing board. Or is it better to leave well enough alone?

-mark

The backing boards Witco used were kinda soft & flimsy I think. Use a stronger board & screw the pieces in from the back.

Or, you could always just pop the Tahitians off the frame & hang them directly on the wall. I'm pretty sure Witco offered them both ways.

My name is Michael and I am new to Tikiroom today. I want to share a photo of my Witco. I think these are geese. I really like the color scheme.Has anyone seen this one before or are they all one of a kind? Enjoy!

Scored this on ebay last week…$150 including shipping.

I got all 3 of these for $45.00.

On 2013-02-21 20:24, mikeshardgoods wrote:
My name is Michael and I am new to Tikiroom today. I want to share a photo of my Witco. I think these are geese. I really like the color scheme.Has anyone seen this one before or are they all one of a kind? Enjoy!

Hi Mike - welcome to TC. I like this one too... Witco sold their pieces through a catalogue, so most of them were mass produced (albiet on a smaller scale). I have seen this one before and think it is a great MCM piece.

T

Here's a few Witco.
As seen at the 20th Century Cincinnati antique Show, great show if you crap money.
Not sure if the bowl is Witco or not.
It was only $12.00 bucks, Did not buy it though.

¨*•.¸¸¸.•¨•.¸¸.•¨•.¸¸TIKISKIP••LIGHTS¸¸.•¨•.¸¸.•¨•.¸¸¸.•

My lil wife found this today while I was at work
She's got a good eye...
I couldn't find any pics of this, I went through all 82 pages...

Then I looked at Google images under witco boat. There it was, the 5th photo.
A post by GROG in 2007, Craigslist posting.
And guess who ended up with it...
You will have to search and see. :)

Still need to clean it up and attach the last piece

Almost left off the best part.......................... $4.00

:)

D
Dagg posted on Fri, Mar 8, 2013 9:17 PM

Nice score Jon!

Thanx Dagg...

Cleaned up great
got the front attached
BOLTED to the wall

anyone have a photo of this piece from a Witco catalog?

Jon

Here's a 60s catalog pic (and sketch!):

I had never seen that extended bowsprit version! Here is mine, installed on my front porch:

I put a blue fluorescent bulb behind it, gives it a nice glow :)

Great
Thank you for the photos
What year is that catalog?
So I wonder about the piece of wood on the front
The wood looks the same as the rest of the ship
But I don't see it in the catalog photos, hmmm
And it seems as if my sails are upside down.

Jon

Worst sound ever, slurp of an empty tiki mug through my straw!!!

[ Edited by: hang10tiki 2013-03-12 13:07 ]

Witco is a rare find in my area so I couldn't pass on this three foot high gazelle.

"Anyone who has ever seen them is thereafter haunted as if by a feverish dream" Karl Woermann

[ Edited by: uncle trav 2013-03-16 20:25 ]

Not mine, saw it in a RETRO store here in Vegas
So much black paint that you can't even see the wood grain...

Jon

You can't even tell that that's a Witco bar anymore...but I must say that IF one has to paint one, this is an interesting take on it. Kinda turns it into a Hollywood Regency/ Las Vegas style bar.

I definitely don't hate it. For all we know it could have been a beat up piece of crap, before they did that. Much better than the 7 piece, 5 band rattan set I saw at Brimfield painted a lovely teal with teal, pink & white cushions.

My first Witco. The wife and I found this W-300 Viking ship yesterday in Minneapolis. All original and in excellent shape. Looks great over the living-room sofa. Maybe someday I'll find some Witco tiki, but it's rarer than hen's teeth up here in da Nort'west.

Now u need the sword

Jon

M

On 2013-03-31 15:51, hang10tiki wrote:
Now u need the sword

Probably take me another 18 years to find one...

On 2013-04-01 07:28, MrBaliHai wrote:

On 2013-03-31 15:51, hang10tiki wrote:
Now u need the sword

Probably take me another 18 years to find one...

I have this one I will sell you:

Witco sword.

$75.00 plus shipping?

PTD

PTD
How many Witco pieces do you have?
U da man...

Jon

just picked these guys up today - they were outdoors but under a gazebo type structure so they weren't too bad off. just need to stain them and clear coat them as soon as the weather gets a bit warmer.

Holy cow! Nice find!

Am I crazy, or do those Mainlanders appear not to be made for fountains? (ie no notches for bowls or holes for tubing)

On 2013-04-08 03:47, happy buddha wrote:
Holy cow! Nice find!

Am I crazy, or do those Mainlanders appear not to be made for fountains? (ie no notches for bowls or holes for tubing)

thanks !!

these were designed as stand alone tikis- they have flat backs on them. There is a witco mainlander tiki similiar to it at chef shangri-la that was a fountain at one time. Their tiki has the tell-tale tongue that extends out of the mouth plus the notch carved in front that would hold a carved fountain bowl.

Also, the chef has 2 of the little guys like the one i got. Theirs have been attached to a smaller square tiki which in turn is attached to a carved witco square base. This brings the height of theirs up to about 5 ft or so.

According to the seller, these were pulled from a tiki bar that was being closed down somewhere on the south side of chicago. No one seems to know which one.

" I may not know karate..... but I do know crazy !!"

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2013-04-08 04:56 ]

[ Edited by: Tipsy McStagger 2013-04-08 04:57 ]

That's wild. I never knew witco even made stand-alone Mainlanders. So much stuff..

I wish someone would re-publish all those old Witco catalogs. Bet they'd sell like hotcakes!

I never thought I would have one, my new pride and joy, the God of Fortune fountain:

Nice finds all

H

Hi everyone,
I wasn't exactly sure where to post this but thought that someone might be interested.
Saw a Witco Giraffe magazine holder at the Hall Tree Antique Mall in Salinas, Ca yesterday.
My crappy photo follows

http://www.halltreeantiquemall.com/Location.html

Witco folk! You're not gonna BELIEVE the junk I just put in my trunk!

And so close to Mama's day, too!

Pix soon..

H

Thats better, nice one.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 1611 replies