Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Super Cool!!!! Talk Story with Bungy Hedley....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 208 replies

B
bungy posted on Sun, Jan 29, 2006 1:40 PM

to Bigbrotiki: You are right on!! It is the same Dwight Long!! How ever did you know him! He was the one that started me sailing and took me under his wing fo r all my sailing days. Each weekend we sailed the Los Angeles Harbor, New Port, Channel Islands, Catalina! on his 36' block islander, Island Belle. That was like around 1946. Then, he got me on The Resolute with Ed Fabian and I crewed in the first San Diego/Acapulco Yacht Race in 1953! Had a few crewings in between, and then, he got me on as mess cook aboard 134' Te Vega, for nearly 3 months thru French Oceana, in 1955. I was the only one in a crew of 18, besides the Captain, Omer Darr, who had ever been to sea before under sail! I was stuck in the galley (and barely) because I was a girl.. but, I was also, the only one who got a raise in salary because finally, Capt. Darr realized that I did know how to sail!
Am writing a book baout my adventures with a whole chapter on Dwight! Hopefully, I'll be ready for print in about a month.
he was just like my brother.. only closer.

RD

Bungy,
Everyone has already said this, but thank you so much for sharing all of these great stories. I'm constantly checking the site these days for updates. You really scored the trifecta in my opinion: beachcombing lifestyle in they birth years of tiki, behind the scenes stories of early disneyland, and sea-faring tales of wind and sail.

After your last post I'm wondering which "Resolute" you crewed on? I know there was an old America's Cup boat by that name. During college (15 years ago in Olympia, WA) I crewed on an old 44' wooden Yawl that had been an Annapolis trainer which was also called the "Resolute". I know that alot of boats bear the name, but I was wondering if you and I had by chance sailed on the same. She was a beauty.

Keep the good words coming!
-Joe

B
bungy posted on Sun, Jan 29, 2006 7:16 PM

to Rum Demon! (what a name!but look who's talking!)
My "Resolute" is a 42' ketch that is still moored at Flietz Bros. Yacht Landing in Los Angeles Harbor (San Pedro). For over 50 years she has been used for boy/girl/and sea scout training with week-end trips to Catalina. First the Dad, Ed Fabian, who was one of the best skippers I've ever sailed under, and now by his son, Mike.
I always say that Dwight Long taught me how to sail, but Ed Fabian taught me seamanship! How to splice line, how to shoot the stars with an old fashion sectant, etc.

I was priveleged to run into him again about 7 or 8 years ago. I had not seen him in over 40 years! He was in a wheel chair, but still kept going strong. He was always so cheerful and kindly. I never saw him lose his temper.. and we were out at sea for 15 days!!!
I was able to visit with him each year, unitl he passed on. One of the true old salts. Fair Winds!! Auntie Bungy

H

Auntie Bungy, you are so interesting and so unique. It is such a pleasure reading your posts. you are a true inspiration to all of us women.

Aloha Bungy,

What was that movie we saw at UCLA that Dwight narrarated ???

( I'll try to dig up some more pics and post soon)

These stories are just too much...where is that time? Is there a place left in the world in the state it's in today where it is possible with hard work to lead such a lifestyle? Amazing..

B

Aunt Bungy, I am so impressed with your sailing storys too. I used to have a 47 ft yawl made by Ted Hood of Americas Cup fame. There is Nothing like sailingespecially during the winter equinox and sailing into the moon going down with the sun rising at your stern. The magic of singlehaded sailing is like No other, and I only sailed a few years. Your stories bring up the old desire to pack a bag ant set off to ports unknown.
Boy I miss it.Thanks big time.

On 2006-01-29 13:40, bungy wrote:
Am writing a book baout my adventures with a whole chapter on Dwight! Hopefully, I'll be ready for print in about a month.
he was just like my brother.. only closer.

Info please? Publisher, expected release date, etc. I want to start bugging the local libraries to buy copies as soon as it hits the shelves.

B
bungy posted on Mon, Jan 30, 2006 3:30 PM

hiltiki! I was only one of 3 women in the Los Angeles Harbor area that was doing any seriuos sailing during the 40's and 50's. The most famous was Peggy Slater, a friend of the family's.
Whenever I went to sea on long voyages, I was always the only gal in crew and had to become everyone's little sister! It worked! Now days gals don't have to think twice about it. At htat time, not even most of the wives of boat owners sailed! And if they did, they made themselve comfortable on deck! When I read of the 17 yera old gal who is sailing around the world... single handed, I cheer!!

Dear nephew Benjie aka Bamboo Ben!
Dwight had a lecture series for 30 years, at least, at Royce Hall UCLA, and Ebel Theater in Westwood. It wa scalled "Arm Chair Adventures". He booked sailors like Alan Villiers, Irivng Johnson, Thor Hyerdahl and many more.
He periodically gave his own lecture of his 7 years arround the world which included his WW11 experiences as a Lt. Commander on the Fighting Lady.. which he had filmed lots of.. under Leo Derochment (spelling!). Clips of his filming still play today!

Benzart! WOW! What a boat and experience.. better write this up!!
My best memories are climbing a 100 foot mast to sit on the cross tree at sunset or sunrise.. watching the brilliant colors fill the sky! It was like I owned the Universe!!!. I also, got to see the "green flash" onetime! And, a full circle rainbow under a full moon!

Freddie freelance (not freeloader??!! Red Skelton)
The Book is called "View From the Top of the Mast", and I will definitly advertise on Tiki Central! it will probably be 2-3 months more.
Am also reprinting Daddy's catalog from the Trade Winds Trading Company in 1942. It has lots of items that he made from beachcombings!

Thank you all for "listening to me talk stories"! I am having a GREAT time!!!

"Dwight had a lecture series for 30 years, at least, at Royce Hall UCLA, and Ebel Theater in Westwood. It wa scalled "Arm Chair Adventures". He booked sailors like Alan Villiers, Irivng Johnson, Thor Hyerdahl and many more. "

Aloha Auntie Bungy,

The one I remember going to when I was a wee lil' dude, was the one that they built a big boat out of reeds and sailed it somewhere. I remember some of it but just can't remember names.

I have a busy week and will try to post some more pics this weekend. I'll post some of Auntie Flo's, Awsome Mosaic art.

BUNGY! BUNGY! BUNGY! oh and bamboo ben too :wink:

Boy oh boy Auntie B I think your makin' us all envious of your adventurous life.

But don't stop now!

Chongolio

T

Could have been the Ra expediton by Thor Heyerdahl

http://www.plu.edu/~ryandp/RAX.html

On 2006-01-30 15:30, bungy wrote:
Freddie freelance (not freeloader??!! Red Skelton)

I prefer the Miles Davis "Freddie Freeloader" to the Red Skelton skit: Freddie was a New York Bartender who'd allow musicians & writers to "freeload" or sit at the bar without ordering drinks. But I'll take Red as a fine second.

The Book is called "View From the Top of the Mast", and I will definitly advertise on Tiki Central! it will probably be 2-3 months more.
Am also reprinting Daddy's catalog from the Trade Winds Trading Company in 1942. It has lots of items that he made from beachcombings!

Got it, I'll start bugging booksellers in the spring.

On a side note, is there a possibility of a reprint for How Daddy Became a Beach Comber?

B
bungy posted on Tue, Jan 31, 2006 3:40 PM

Yes! That was Thor Hyerdahl's famous Kon Tiki voyage that Dwight had on his lecture series.. I recently found an old paper back of anohter one Thor wrote about his "honeymoon" in the marquesas!! What an awful time they had!!! Those islands were still pretty backward and had not been out of canabalism for long!
By the way, I met a Marquesan in Hawaii. He works at the Kona Village, and also life guards at the public pool in Kailua, on the Big island. He is a pretty famous Tiki carver. His Father, and Uncle and grandfather were, too. Hies name if Rario Temetiki(spelling?). he also sailed on the famous canoe that makes the trip to Tahiti, etc, and up to Honolulu and back again, navigating the old way, with water in a coconut refelcting the stars,etc! Amazing! Any of you who might end up in Kona, there is a Capt Kiko who has built a double sailing canoe an dtakes out 6 passengers. You sail out and then, race before the wind and ride the waves coming back in. He took me out for a special lesson in sailing it.. It was LOTS of fun. I had bought a 12' sailing canoe on Bora Bora in 1955, for $100. but I have forgotten how to sail it. That canoe hangs in one of daddy's decorating jobs in Reno, Tahoe, or Las Vegas!

B
bungy posted on Tue, Jan 31, 2006 3:49 PM

to freddie free lance! Am also re-printing How Daddy Became A Beachcomber in Paper back.. so it also ought to be a few more months. Will also advertise this on Tiki Central!
I was just going along today and a memory hit me.. I was crewing on the 3 masted barquentine, California, and we were headed around the world, but couldn't get started becasue there was so much to do! We were tied up at 22nd street yacht Landing in San Pedro, and Humphrey Bogart's boat, Santana, was tied up just opposite us. One sunday afternoon, they pulled in after a weekend in Catalina, and as Mr B. started down the dock i said, "Oh! Please sir! Can I take your pix? Showing him the camera in hand. He grumbled and then finally said, Well, OK! I said, "smile" and shot him im the face with a stream of water from my trick camera. He was shocked, and then guffawed loudly, gave me a big hug, and chuckled off down the dock! Ah! Youth!

I love it when your memories "hit" you, bungy! they're great!

I also eagerly await your book and the reprint of "How daddy..."

Thank you! Keep 'em coming!!!!

POLYNESIAC - putting the 'F' back in ART

[ Edited by: Polynesiac 2006-01-31 18:41 ]

B
bungy posted on Sat, Feb 4, 2006 5:45 AM

Our home at the Cove: Our living room was upstairs and had a fireplace made from the stones on our beach.. These had to be picked carefully in order that they would have holes in them to keep the stones form "popping" with the heat.. It didn't work out very well, I can't remember how many times they would pop right out into the living room when guests were there! I wonder what they talked about on their ride home that night! The chimney was an old ship's funnel. I don't know how daddy put it on, but every once in a while, when we had guests sitting around the living room,the wind would shift, and start blowing right down that funnel. That would start blowing the smoke out into the room, and pretty soon, the guests eyes started watering and they started coughing! Mother never batted an eye. She actually never admitted to the smoke, but said, "Let's all go out to the beach and watch the full moon come up over the cliff. It is a wonderful sight!" So, all put on their coats and went on out to watch the moon, which really was a gorgeous sight to behold! meanwhile daddy, would say to one of us girls, "Quick!Go change the dang funnel!". So, off we'd go..out the back door, around the house which sat right up next to the cliff, scramble up the cliff, and over the ice plant, onto the roof, and crawled up the roof to the funnel. We'd put our arms around it, and tug and tug until it slid around far enough so the wind wouldn't come down into it, and then hurry back to help usher the guests back up to the livig room . When I was younger, I thought all chimneys worked like that! Hare Maru!! Auntie Bungy

On 2006-01-31 15:49, bungy wrote:
to freddie free lance! Am also re-printing How Daddy Became A Beachcomber in Paper back.. so it also ought to be a few more months. Will also advertise this on Tiki Central!
I was just going along today and a memory hit me.. I was crewing on the 3 masted barquentine, California, and we were headed around the world, but couldn't get started because there was so much to do! We were tied up at 22nd street yacht Landing in San Pedro, and Humphrey Bogart's boat, Santana, was tied up just opposite us. One sunday afternoon, they pulled in after a weekend in Catalina, and as Mr B. started down the dock i said, "Oh! Please sir! Can I take your pix? Showing him the camera in hand. He grumbled and then finally said, Well, OK! I said, "smile" and shot him in the face with a stream of water from my trick camera. He was shocked, and then guffawed loudly, gave me a big hug, and chuckled off down the dock! Ah! Youth!

Aunty Bungy - Every few days I check this thread to see if you've posted anything new, and this made my morning! All of your adventures are amazing, but squirting Humphrey Bogart with a squirt camera may be the icing on the cake! Keep the stories coming, we're waiting for the book!
mrs. pineapple

K

Aunt Bungy-

After reading about all your travels I would be interested to know… in all the far away places you have seen and experienced…which one inspires you the most and why? Is there a place you have always dreamed of discovering, but have not yet had the opportunity to encounter? I would also be curious to know how your journey lead you to Texas. I think one of the things that I am most grateful for in my life is that I have had the opportunity to travel to many distant lands and get an understanding of the cultures outside my own pre-conceived boundaries, which has had a profound effect on who I am today. You clearly have had the courage to embrace what for most of us can only be imagined. I ask these questions because I wonder if there is a place in your past that has moved you beyond your expectations. Thanks for being you and sharing with us….

Karbora

B
bungy posted on Tue, Feb 7, 2006 10:40 AM

to Karbora! Who asks a really hard question!! What is my favorite place!!! I'd say anywhere on a sail boat.. as long as it is in the tropics! I was thinking not too long ago, actually, about what I'd really like to do.. and that was to sail the Hawaiian Islands once more! Having just enough time at sea to absorb infinite horizons, approach an island, come into port, all the sights, sounds, smells of that experience, stay for a couple of days, then, take off again!Onward! I don't really like vacations or trips that say "You will have a free day to shop!"!!! I like to do stuff.. like snorkle, parasail, hike up to 1000 foot watrefalls (which is what I did last year! I wanted to roll down the mountain coming back!!) A few years ago, on a Carribesan cruise I took scuba lessons.. it was kind of scary.. but I'd go again! Machu Pichu beakons! I read all of Richard Haliburton Travel Books when I was 13 or 14.. and he is my hero when it comes to travel adventures. He swam the Pananma Canal and paid 16 cents tonnage! He hid in the garden of the Taj Mahal, and after all had left, he swam under a full moon in the pool! He did stuff like that all over the world. Of course, his era was around 1925!!!

Like you, I love meeting the "locals" and interacting. I took a Greek cruise ship around the Greek Isles year before last. Thye are soooo beautiful, and I loved the Greeks! So full of soul! I would like to stay on one of the islands a month.. to see if I would become one of them for a while! If any of you are looking for something unusual.. I'd recommend going on the interisland ferry.. much better than the cruise ship and you can stay as long as you want on each island!
I'd really like to go to Spain! (I speak a bit of Spanish)...And dance with the flamenco gypsies in the Caves! Ah! well! The world is out there.. ready to be explored!

The last couple of years, I have produced and directed a Czech Night of Muziky Muziky! It turns out that there are over 1 million Texans of Czech heritage.. and they have kept their heritage going thru song, dance , and music! So, that is fun!Last year, so many wanted to be in the Musical that we had to run 3 hours insted of the 2 we advertised!
This month I am teaching Hula to 80 grade school kids!! It will definitely be a very fundamental hula!! I don't think we can enter the Merry Monarch contests!
In April I am on my way to Kona, Hi to dog sit for a neice and nephew, Sid & Claudia Kono for anyone who lives there! (the dog sitting is a dirty job, but someone has to do it!!) And will half day sail on a catamaran and a sail boat! So that is near to sailing all the islands!!
I'm pretty sure that each of you Tiki Central afficionados have that sense of adventure inside you too! Just make sure you keep it alive, even by doing little unusual stuff! And if you think it is easier to sit in front of TV .. don't do it.. Get up and get out! The world is wide and fun!!!! Auntie Bungy

P
pdrake posted on Tue, Feb 7, 2006 1:39 PM

wow

just, wow.

I just had to post my 2 cents worth. In fact - this thread is the reason I joined Tiki Central. What a fantastic life. I love your nostalgic writing style. It really makes me feel good to read your posts. There's something very special about the way you describe your adventures, and I feel like I've gotten a glimpse of better times. Now that's a life worth living! Thank you very much Bungy!

B
bungy posted on Sat, Mar 4, 2006 4:48 PM

Iaorana! It's been a long time!! I have been trying to finish my autobio.. So many adventures, and my memory keeps getting jogged.!!!
By the time I was a senior in San Pedro High School, which sits right on this wonderful hill that overlooks the Los Angeles Harbor! all I could think about was going to sea. On the first day of school we had to choose our curriculum, and were given sheets and sheets of different kinds of classes we could choose from, and what kind we needed for credits. I spent an extra long time, trying to figure out which ones I could take so that they all had a view of the Harbor, and I could gaze out and watch the big ships coming and going.

Each day, After school, I dashed home, threw my little eight foot sailing dingy into the back of our new Woody! and set sail from Cabrillo Beach. The 4 O'clock breeze had always just come up, and it was pretty chancy. One time, I asked one of my gal friends if she wanted to go. She said," well, maybe, but I don' t know how to swim. Is it safe?" "Certainly," I repleid, and off we went. It was winter and we both had on heavy jackets and I had her in a life jacket besides. Suddenly a gust of wind knocked us right over and into the water.She started screaming! I told her to just hang on to the boat and she'd be alright. Just by chance, a 65' Coast Guard Cutter was heading out to sea, right past us! They screeched to a halt, and threw a line in to the water to haul us aboard. They got her up, and took her into the cabin for hot coffee. But when they told me to come up, I said I had to save my boat. I had bought that boat for $100. that I had earned weaving palm hats at a luau! They tossed me a line and said, tie this to your boat, and we'll tow her in. But the mast was now stuck in the mud at the bottom of the bay. I dived down several times and was finally able to unhook the stays, pull up the mast, turn the boat right side up, and lay the mast inside the boat! I was ready to get out of that 60 degree water! I swam to the side of that huge ship and it took 4 guys to pull me up. My clothes were sodden and they acted like a suction. As i came up, I also brought up gallons and gallons of sea water! It poured all over their beautiful white uniforms. All over their highly polished brass, and made a mess of their sparkling clean deck! They were so disgusted that they said, sit here on deck, and we will bring you a cup of coffee! I really didn't care because... I had saved my boat! See ya soon! Aunty Bungy

P
L

... he also sailed on the famous canoe that makes the trip to Tahiti, etc, and up to Honolulu and back again, navigating the old way, with water in a coconut refelcting the stars,...

that would probably be the Hokule'a.
btw; this year marks the 30th anniversary of the first sailing of the Hokule'a from Hawai'i to Tahiti...

B
bungy posted on Sun, Mar 12, 2006 6:16 AM

You are absolutely right! It is the Hoku lea (spelling??) I can't believe that it ahs been that long that they have been doing this!
What a trip that would be. And they have proven so much about the Hawaiian culture with these trips. The most interesting being that they had traveled to New Zealand, even, in all their travels. So it was not a hit and miss situation. They KNEW what they were doing! And however did they know?????
When you think about something like that, you wonder what can we do that is new! A guy I met on the Grand Canyon rafting trip (14 days worth) was a Triathalon competitor. He had a job, but he worked at it part time, and he did triathalons the rest of the time. He told me that he and 3 others were going to try to get together a tri. in Antartica! Now! That is something new!!
Auntie Bungy

L

On 2006-03-12 06:16, bungy wrote:
You are absolutely right! It is the Hoku lea (spelling??) I can't believe that it ahs been that long that they have been doing this!

yes, Hokule'a... (no space), glottal stop before the last letter, making the pronunciation; hokuleh ah.
Your interest in the Hokule'a is gratifying to see. It's very satisfying to see the story reach around the world as it has...
Hokule'a means "star of gladness" in Hawaiian. It refers to the star Arcturus, a guiding zenith star for Hawaiian navigators.
It falls directly overhead at Hawai'i's latitude.

I see the magnificent Hokule'a a few times a week. It is well respected as a symbol of the resurgence in interest and pride in the Hawaiian culture here among kama'aina.

Another replica on the North Shore was being built a couple years ago, and I met the chief carver and we talked story for quite some time while we were on and in... the outrigger. It was awe inspiring. incredible craftsmanship. Beautiful work and the backstory on it as well as the kane's history in carving was amazing. I felt very priviledged. Never will forget it.

[ Edited by: lanikai 2006-03-12 07:47 ]

[ Edited by: lanikai 2006-03-12 07:48 ]

B
bungy posted on Mon, Mar 13, 2006 2:58 PM

I just saw your "Lanakai"! In 1953, I crewed on 106' Dwyn Wynn fromCa to Hawaii. We landed in Honolulu, Pier 6, and whiel there, I took my letter of intro given to me by Deight Long, to an old gal who lived in Lanakai. She and husband had built this wonderful house on the side of a cliff, right ove rthe rocks. I thuink he had passed on. In the living room they had 2 guest beds, both were matresses on big rocks with windows over looking mauka and makai! It was either the sunset or sunrise bed you slept in. I chose sunrise.. always liked to get up early!. Her garnd daughter was there too. It was quite an expereience. I go to Hawawai once ayear to odg sit fro niece and nephew on Big Usland, then, come to Kailua on Oahu to visit son and his family! I lived a year in th old red barn in Waimanalo. It was heaven! Am on my way back to Hawai'i nei april 19th, with 3 weeks in Kona and a week in Kailua ,Oahu! My bag is packed! I took sailing lessons from Capt. Kiko last year, on his double hulled sailing canoe. I bought my own 12 footer in Bora Bora in 1955. That is now hanging inthe "Top of the Wheel" in Lake Tahoe, I think!
I feel like Hawai'i is MINE!!! My first child was born in Lahaina in the Territory, 2nd was 1st child born in Kaiser Hospital, when we lived on Block Islander called UAU, at Ala Wai Yacht Basin!
Much ALLLLLOOOOOOOHA!! Auntie Bungy
maT

L

On 2006-03-13 14:58, bungy wrote: She and husband had built this wonderful house on the side of a cliff, right ove rthe rocks. I thuink he had passed on. In the living room they had 2 guest beds, both were matresses on big rocks with windows over looking mauka and makai!

I remember that place well. Was the early morning paperboy in the mid 60's there in Lanikai and I delivered to that house. Still pop over that side about once a week.

On 2006-03-13 15:06, lanikai wrote:

On 2006-03-13 14:58, bungy wrote: She and husband had built this wonderful house on the side of a cliff, right ove rthe rocks. I thuink he had passed on. In the living room they had 2 guest beds, both were matresses on big rocks with windows over looking mauka and makai!

I remember that place well. Was the early morning paperboy in the mid 60's there in Lanikai and I delivered to that house. Still pop over that side about once a week.

Me too. I always wanted to go inside that house. I lived at the other end of Mid-Pac golf course when I was a kid and used to swim all the time at Kailua and Lanikai beaches. We also used to hike on top of the mountain above Lanikai to play in the old WWII pill boxes. Wild guava and mango grew up there, so we used to eat those when they were ripe. Good times.
Mahalo for all the great stories.
KailuaGeoff

L

we lived makai of midpac golf course. usta fish out golfballs from da lagoon and resellum to da braddahs.

We would hike da ridge alla time, too, check out da pillboxes. was good fun spok da bullet holes all ovah da kine. remember the rusty gun turrets insai?
Got alotta pics of Lanikai back in those days, shot from that vantage point. All da old small kine shacks on mokulua torn down, no mo nuttin but multimillion dollar mansions along da beach, with their dag blasted sea walls eroding da rest o da coastline!

[ Edited by: lanikai 2006-03-14 13:01 ]

B

I can just feel that beach at Lanakai!! It is so beautiful.. and the tropical breezes wafting over the land, bringing sweet scents of plumeria and ginger! This last time, when I was in Kona, I was driving in pretty heavy going to work traffic (tyring to get to snorkling befor the tourists arrived!). We were crawling along, and There was a medium sized panal truck in front of me. The top of the truck swiped the branches of an overhanging plumeria tree and the blossoms fell onto the windshieled of my car!! I'll never forget that!!Auntie bungy

L

On 2006-03-16 10:29, bungy wrote:...The top of the truck swiped the branches of an overhanging plumeria tree and the blossoms fell onto the windshieled of my car!! I'll never forget that!!Auntie bungy

you see how you are?

getting a lei once in a while ain't good enuff for ya!

the gods drop flowers in yer path as you go along.
I guess you may be keiki o ka aina...

[ Edited by: lanikai 2006-03-16 10:42 ]

B
bungy posted on Thu, Mar 16, 2006 8:16 PM

You made me smile re: answer about the plumerias on wind shield!!! Really sweet!!!AB

Bungy,

Thanks so much for your stories. It's the best thing I've read on Tiki Central... or anywhere, for a long while. After a stint in the Navy , I've been landlocked for 8+ years and do miss Hawaii, traveling and seeing land come over a dawn horizon. Your stories help sate my wanderlust. Skiing on barrel slats reminds me of my grandfather's stories of doing the same, he was a storyteller but his story has passed with him to a new world. Skiing on sand is something I do at the Bruneau sand dunes on my old rock damaged skis. It's great fun and greatly funny. I've gone on some great weeks long adventures whitewater rafting the Salmon or "River of No Return" and you are right, along with backpacking and sailing it's a fine adventure, especially when you awake to find bear prints all over your beach...
Bungy, your life is truly amazing, your stories are funny and beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

Mahalo
Sneakytiki

[ Edited by: Sneakytiki 2006-03-18 00:34 ]

B
bungy posted on Tue, Mar 21, 2006 1:35 PM

I was thinking about my high school! I went to San Pedro Hi, and Richard Henry Dana Jr, High, in San Pedro, Ca. The Jr. Hi was named that for the author of "Two Years Before the Mast" He had been shanghied and sailed before the mast for 2 years before he could escape. At that time mariners had no rights, and he pointed out the horrible conditions they sailed under. From this book, the mariners began unions, etc, and today it is a very respected carreer. Each year, the school ran the old Charles Laughton film for us , so that we would realize the marine history of our town.
San Pedro was built on this. Many dads were fishermen, or long shoresmen, or crews on a frieghters, or , for me the highest, a tug boat captain! Sitting right on the huge Los Angeles Harbor, evrything about San Pedro revolved around the ocean.
San Pedro Hi was on the side of a hill overlooking the whole harbor, and by the time I got to High school all I wanted to do was sail the South Seas, so when they gave us those long lists of classes with what credits we needed, I took an extra ammount of time figuring out what classes I could take to receive those credits... that sat on the second floor in front, with a view of the whole harbor with all the ships coming and going. And.. I took International morse code, instead of typing, so I could cut my braids and run away to sea and be a radioman on a freighter! There were no women allowed at that time.
Both schools were WPA projects,and I took a tour not too long ago, and they are just as beautiful as they always were. The Jr. Hi has a compass rose in tile on the entry floor!

Each week, I waited for that last bell to ring, and I could escape to a 32' Block Islander owned by Dwight Long, my sailing mentor, and we'd sail to Catalina or the Channel Islands! In other words, I escaped to my real world! Auntie Bungy

Aunty Bungy, could you please read This Thread and help with the history of your time at Disneyland? Thank you!

Rev. Dr. Frederick J. Freelance, Ph.D., D.F.S

[ Edited by: freddiefreelance 2006-04-14 07:30 ]

T

Thanks Freddie!

P

You'd better be working on the book.

I felt something was missing in my life and I actually took 10 minutes to ponder it today and this thread popped into mind.

Bungy, hope all is well and your travels have been relaxing and rejuvenating.

B

I think word has it that Aunt Bungy's book is finished. Just a rumor and I don't have any details, but it came from a decent source. I hope it's true.

P

Don't believe anyone named "Ben."
That's all I'm sayin'.

B
bungy posted on Fri, Jun 2, 2006 7:54 PM

Had a great time in Hwaii, and now I'm back in harness.. whatever that means.. when you don't have to work anymore!! I can't stand saying "retired!"'The best action I had was on Magic Sands Beach in Kailua, Kona.. the first day, the waves were probably about 4-5 feet tall, and that was pretty good. I'd never used a boogie board before so, when I saw a really fancy one with the rubber cord at a yard sale for a dollar I picked it up.. and was already to go boogie surfing. I stood on the shore for a while, until I saw a couple of little 12 year old girls go in, and said, "Why! If they can do it, so can I"! I'm into my seventh decade, so it is a little scary! But, I dove in and paddled until here came the next big 6 foot wave. It was just curling at the top, and I thought I would cut through it and go further out. I held the boogie board in front of me and took oof thru the wave. It curled and the force threw the boogie board right back in my face. Whack! I turned around, deposited the board on the sand, and had a great time riding the waves solo!
The next day, there were "Danger" signs all over the place, abnd the guards were right at the oceans edge. So, I stood for a while, finally said, "I'm going for it!" and dove in. It was gloruois! Waves crashing all around,thundering over me. The sun shining, the water clear as a bell, the soft breezes blowing! WOW!
I wrote in a lot about Disneyland's hsitory after I got home.. has anyone seen it! I still can't get around this computer too well!
Update on Book! It is at publishers, and will probably be 3 more weeks.. It was so much fun actually accomplishoing it.. you are all so interesting, you ought to try it too!! I will put an ad on Tiki Central and in Tiki Mag.
Are we having a "Pot luck Luau" at Royal Palms State Park in San Pedro on Aug 20th?? It's my old home where I was raised! I read somewhere that Catalina Island has a big Tiki somehting going on that weekend, maybe those who go can stopp off and LUAU on there way home. Royal Palms is only 10 min. from Catalina Terminal. Ask Bamboo Ben, that scally wag!
Right before I went to Hawaii, I taught over 100 kids to dance the hula.. they were given a Luau for passing a really hard test! It took 4 hours !! It was FUN! Tomorrow I go to the local airport, where I help out qwith a big BBQ Fly-in.. little planes from all over the area fly in, eat, greet, and meet, and then, they take off again. We are raisung scholarship funds for future pilots! I keep telling those guys I want to learn to fly.. but they just change the subject! One has a paraplane.. which is a plane with a parchute! Now, that would be fun.. but a bit trickey.

I am sorry I can't answer all back.. I can't figure out how!!!
Hawaiya, Hawaiya, Hawaiya, like Arthur Godfrey used to say when he started his radio program in the '40s?.He played the ukulele!
Aunty Bungy

PS: I have started reading Richard henry Dana's "Two Years Before the Mast" again.. and it is a wonderful history of San pedro abd the Calif. coast with all the sailign ships in the 1830's..

P

Great to hear that the book is at the publishers.
Can't wait to read it.

Glad you had fun in Hawai'i as well.
I guess you've always laughed when people told you to be careful, ehhh?
Wish we could all be a little more like that.

Since you like to travel so much, maybe you can talk Bamben Boo into bringing you to the Hukilau.
It would be nice to meet you and hear some spoken stories.

Take care... oh never mind that - just have fun.

On 2006-06-03 22:40, pablus wrote:
Since you like to travel so much, maybe you can talk Bamben Boo into bringing you to the Hukilau.
It would be nice to meet you and hear some spoken stories.

Agreed!

K

Aloha Aunt Bungy....

At this years Hukilau there will be an emphasis on the Aloha spirit that captured America in the 50’s & 60’s. As you are without question a pioneer in this realm, I can not think of a more perfect scenario then to attend what promises to be the best Hukilau yet, and have you be there!! What a thrill and honor it would be to be able to meet you in person!! Tiki Kiliki productions has put together a mind blowing schedule of events. If you have never seen, or always wanted to see the Mai Kai in Fort Lauderdale, now is the time to go. Check out the website.........www.thehukilau.com.

I am glad to hear you had a great time in Hawaii......I had a feeling there might be a story or two :)

Karbora

On 2006-06-02 19:54, bungy wrote:
Are we having a "Pot luck Luau" at Royal Palms State Park in San Pedro on Aug 20th?? It's my old home where I was raised! I read somewhere that Catalina Island has a big Tiki somehting going on that weekend, maybe those who go can stopp off and LUAU on there way home. Royal Palms is only 10 min. from Catalina Terminal. Ask Bamboo Ben, that scally wag!

Bamboo "Scally Wag" Ben mentioned the Luau several months ago, I've been waiting until it was a little closer to the date to bring it up again, but I'm keeping that weekend open. I've read "How Daddy Became a Beach Comber" twice and I'd love to meet your family.

"A laid back luau".

Just show up and what ever happens, happens. That's all I meant. No plans, no worries, the Hedley way.

Unfortunately, I'm "on call this summer" and might have to be away to further All of Your Tiki needs.

ie; Jimmy Cliff, Sitting in Limbo ...I can't commit to any event, party, etc.

Work before pleasure. No rest for the wicked!!

Aunt Bungy, your stories are amazing and your writing draw you in to a wonderful time. They are thrilling and I can't wait for the book.

Ben, thank you too for sharing your aunt and your family, it's all so amazing!

Amy

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 208 replies