Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

made of stone

Pages: 1 2 3 4 161 replies

M

There is a product I am using right now on the godforesaken waterfall I am eternally a slave to. Its diamond wire. It definately holds mud and comes in a version that is prebacked with paper so as to allow some of the mud between the wire and the substrate paper while keeping waste to an absolute minimum. It bends very nice and cuts skin very easily. Use gloves.

Capo-
It's pretty tight as you can see. In fact I tried to make as tight as possible. I'll go over it with chicken wire before I start. Thanks again for the guidance.
Wes

Diamond wire is wicked stuff,I have some permanent damage from it,It holds the mortar great but the edge is just too sharp,one wrong move an your screwed. Your on your way to a great creation,something to Cherish forever.More wire and you are all set to start slinging some mud.capotiki

On 2005-09-09 16:19, capotiki wrote:
I have a secret sauce that I texture the tiki with

Any chance of finding out what the super secret sauce is?

C

somethings must remain a secret for now.patent pending.capotiki

Capo-
Should I all of the cement all at once or do layers?
How much should I mix up at first? One more, Should my mix be half sand and half portland?
Thanks in advance!
Wes

C

cover the entire piece with mortar,three parts sand to one part portland,you can go 4 to one,from my experience it makes little difference,the more sand the rougher texture you will end up with.The portland rises as you work the mortar.The most important part is the water added,keep it just wet enough to flow when applied.After you cover the unit finish off the parts with little detail,the back side
and so on.Then start building up the features.Your wire frame should speed up this part.Keep moving adding small layers.You will get a feel when the mortar has set enough to hold more bulk.Temperature and humidity will effect setting time.Do not concentrate too much on detail at first ,try to get the dimension you are after and then get the detail.Keep a paint brush and water handy,if the surface seems to dry brush with water,also after complete smooth entire piece the same way,maybe after setting for 30 to 40 minutes.If is a good idea to mist with water every 1/2 hour or so for 2 or three hours to slow down the drying process.If it drys too fast it could get surface cracks.capo

Capo,
Thank you very much for all of your help.
Wes

C

I am looking forward to seeing your finished work.I see bigger things ahead for you.If anyone wants to purchase statues I do have many on hand.http://WWW.motikis.com.my site is not up to date due to webmaster issues,the person who updates my site is missing in action.capotiki

On 2005-09-26 15:09, capotiki wrote:
somethings must remain a secret for now.patent pending.capotiki

Awwwww. Just a hint? Eye of newt, toe of frog...then what?

I use 2 dry materials and 4 liquids to get the effect you see.It is a 3 step process.I came up with it thru a couple of years of experimentation,no animal byproducts,newts are a protected species around here.I am not much help am I?capo

P

Awsome work guys! Thanks for sharing. I'd been thinking about doing something like this, but didn't know if it would work.

Could one be designed like a Mexican chimenea pot, so it could breath fire from it's mouth and eyes? Would the Portland cement hold up to the heat? What if I mixed in some fire clay from the fire place store?

This may be what I needed to get motivated and build something!

C

something new for my sister,it has a twin but too many shadows for a good photo.capotiki

C

forgot to show the back side.

Very Sweet Capo! Damn your good.
Is this the same process you have been schooling me on? Can we have some closer photo's, please?
Well tomorrow is the day I do it. I have off from work and I have the whole day to get to it. Photo's will be taken. Question about the Moai that I will attempt tomorrow. He is 48" tall & the sonic is 10".
Do you have any idea how much portland and sand I should have on hand?
Wes

C

I did use the same system to do the tiki poles.I would think your total weight will be under 100 lbs.capotiki

Capo-
First I want to thank you for your guidance and info. Secondly you should be charging twice what you do. I've finally got the time to apply the portland/sand mix to the Moai.
Here is a couple photo's of it before I started, oh yeah I added a copper 1/8" pipe so I could use him as a fountain later.

Here goes with the concrete:

As I look at these the bottom isn't wide enough. The forehead fell off at least 5 times during the process. Her what I have drying on the patio.

Annie said I should be smiling?

Capotiki, once again thank you for your patience and help.
Next will be what type of finish do you think I should apply?
Wesley

[ Edited by: Moondance 2005-10-13 08:43 ]

C

let me tell ya I am impressed,I have had noses fall off 20 minutes after finishing a project so I know the patients it takes.Gravity sucks sometimes.You should be smiling,I am!As far as a finish what color.I use a concrete sealer from my local building supply house,usually I start with a Grey sealer and then I get a rag,wet it with paint thinner and load up the rag with enamel spray paint and rub the paint into the sealer,you can use any color paint at this point to get the color you want.great job.capo

C

the new planter moai man/currently on display at tikifarm,thanks Holden!

[ Edited by: capotiki 2005-09-30 19:33 ]

Capo-
Very Sweet!!

Capo-
That Moai is awesome!! My wife would love that for her million plants for sure.
About the process:

1. How long should I wait before I apply the Cement Sealer?
  2. Do you prefer one brand from the next?
    (I know another 50 question, not really)
  3. How long should I let the sealer dry before I can apply the paint?
    Sorry I'm such a pain in the Ass.
C

3 or 4 days be for sealer,the concrete must be completely white.The sealer drys in 1 hour or so,you can seal and paint the same day.keep them questions coming.I like using the brand name Primary Sealer/transparent cement coating.capo

[ Edited by: capotiki 2005-10-01 12:31 ]

M

Thank you my friend
Wes

C

concrete mask shield,a gift for Holden at tikifarm.

[ Edited by: capotiki 2005-10-05 18:45 ]

M

Capo-
I Love that Mask! You are non-stop!
Is that done with the same process?
It gives me a idea, How about cutting a 8" sonic tube to around 18"long then cutting it in half. Then wiring it and appling the mortar. How does that sound?!?
Wes

C

I make each face individually and then I make a wire shape for the shield ,cover it with mud and then stick the masks onto the shield and then add detail.Sounds like you have a great idea,take care,capotiki

[ Edited by: capotiki 2005-10-06 21:21 ]

M

CAPO-
I'll start one and show you what I'm thinking.
Thanks for all of your help!
Wes

C

.california gray whales/new moai man planter 35 inches tall.

H
hewey posted on Sun, Oct 9, 2005 5:39 PM

Wow, more nice stuff. Sweet

R

Very nice. I really like the color of the whales one. Is it concrete stain ?

G
GMAN posted on Sun, Oct 9, 2005 7:42 PM

I agree. Very nice.

-Gman

C

Rodeo I use 3 colors of blue paint to get the color you see.I started with light blue and layered 2 darker blues over the light base,It Is spray enamel I rub In by hand.I built them as planters,they have a 1 gallon chamber in the top with drainage.Thanks to all for the kind words.capo

Hey capo- I'm just seeing this thread... you are a tiki madman-freak! This is cool stuff....

C

Madman-freak,I like it!Thanks Sam,your Blue Moai Lounge is very cool!capo

[ Edited by: capotiki 2005-10-09 20:59 ]

[ Edited by: capotiki 2005-10-09 20:59 ]

C

one of my favorites and a 36 inch tall moai man beer mug.In process.

H
hewey posted on Tue, Oct 11, 2005 5:03 PM

That new ones cool and that mug is massive!

CAPO-
That Tiki is the Best!!!!
I Love it.
Wes

C

Beer mug done,assembling a army.

K

That would be one hell of a maitai...gulp...great work...

i am really thirsty all of the sudden . Great work as always and that army shot is great.

Capo, your designs are really outrageous! What really stands out in your post is the that way you share your expertise and insight. That to me is what the creating forum is all about - my philosophy 100%. Thanks for sharing you art and experience!

A-A

AA is right, you share this fine technique and style that you have developed and your own work gets even better. Sort of you have to give it away to keep it. In your case Capo you are a better artist for it. Thank you for everything you have helped me with.
Wes

B

Excellent Mug, Can you imagine a MaiTai in that? Enough to last all afternoon or all day watching football, long as you didn't need to drive anywhere.
Nice Mug

C

I am grateful for all the kind words ,tiki art is so unique,you are only limited by your own imagination.I have far exceeded my own expectations.If sharing the process gives someone the motivation to create art the world will be a better place.Careful may be habit forming!!!!!Mahalo Capotiki. Getting ready for 16 days on the island of Kauai.Renting a house on the beach,north shore.

Capo-
Have a great time there.

Wes

C

Concrete sculpture painting of a special place on Kauai.(I am not a painter).New sentry planter for the house my dream house.I created the paintings from concrete and painted with acrylic enamel.I made them for outside display.

C

special delivery

CAPO!
I thought you were in Hawaii for ten days.
WOW, I love the mailbox!!!
Your work gets better and better each time post!!
Wes

Pages: 1 2 3 4 161 replies