Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Carving Post

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 662 replies

Base,

I suggest the following method for selling him at the Hukilau:

Sabu

The best way to sell anything...down through all the ages of history.

uh-huh, I gotta figure a way to get one of those on my website, hmmm.

Well, folks...here is the basic tiki, minus base decorations and general neatening and cleaning up. It's one hell of a big Marquesan, my first 7-foot pole. Certified pure, 100% chainsaw free. :)

[ Edited by: Basement Kahuna on 2003-04-07 02:17 ]

[ Edited by: Basement Kahuna on 2003-04-07 02:19 ]

Very very excellent BK. Can't wait to see it finished. Looks authentic already. 2000 or 3000 clams?

I wish! Truthfully, I never know what to ask for anything. If I charged by hourly labor, stuff would be sky high, and I don't want to alienate the average Joe, so that's out. I also noticed that the "100.00-a-foot" for wide diameters seems to be a standard among chainsaw carvers(a lot of the guys do the black bears up here), but done the old way one can hardly get ahead at that rate. So again, I dunno.

[ Edited by: Basement Kahuna on 2003-04-07 10:13 ]

T

That is gorgeous! You really did a great job. Aaaah the elitism of the chainsaw free world. How are you moving this thing around? My local football team shuns me now. (I think the 7' logs ruined their football careers.) Damn, where to find extremely strong men who enjoy lifting heavy objects?

M

BK, you out do yourself every time you pick up your carving tools. I'm still working on my first caving, yes it's part chainsaw. How do you guys get the palm trees to be so smooth? That's the biggest problem I'm having, any help would be great. BK, keep up the great work. I can't wait to see them at the Hukilau.
MaD-TiKi :evil:

Holy Moly BK!
What's that thing going to cost me to ship to Huntington Beach, California? :D

G
GECKO posted on Tue, Apr 8, 2003 1:18 AM

dats cherry BK! Heres a little more eye candy for you tiki lovers.

here is a yipwan panel i made a few days ago.

here is Tangaroa of the Cook islands. God of fertility, ocean and fisherman. He is 3 ft. tall. still in da making, still gotta put on a finish, rope around his arms, etc.

it'll look mo'betta wen it's done.

If I don't win, Cookollosu The Great jumps in! (I had to borrow Geck's Aka to have something to fight with!)

T

Sweet Base & Geck. You guys are awesome. Killer stuff.

T.F.

[ Edited by: tikifreak 2006-02-28 10:28 ]

Kiegs would definitely know. I'd ask him. I think Bill Westenhaver's wood of choice was apparently swamp cedar, which had a rich grain and finished in that trademark Witco style. Cookollosu is white pine, which is very easy to work with, but you have to get the sapwood off.

I just noticed, Gecko, but you 'swingin a homemade priest-carver mallet? That's cool!

K

Damn thats nice BK,
Tiki freak- it is easier to carve cedar when it is wet. Then throw some clear sealer or prune seal on the ends so it does not crack as bad as it dries. Then you can burn it for a dark tiki or sand it smooth and stain it for a lighter tiki. It will still crack or check a little but from what Bill says will out last a palm tiki by far in the weather.

O.K. Thats it, I am putting my hammer and chisel away and going surfing.
B.K. nice work. How could you part with that big ol buddy. That is too cool. It was interesting seeing all the notes you make to yourself on the wood. You did a tiki that is chainsaw free, let see you do one red marker free. Ha!
Gecko your work is looking better and better with each post. I like really like the panels you posted last week. Very creative.
I started on a cypress log that was part of a thick branch that smashed my buddies car a while back, but the wood is not cooperating. I am not sure if it is too wet still or what. My chisels are sharp, but the wood really wants to splinter and peel.

Chongolio

Gecko/BK, killer work as usual! I'm going to give my first full-bodied tiki a try this weekend since I've been able to acquire some logs over 3 feet.

Any tips you can pass along?

I have a feeling I'm going to have a little trouble with the body since I've never done that before. I'll post progress pics like last time.

C

Two thumbs way up BK.

Thanks KEIGS and Base......Is it lighter or heavier than palm? Just curious.......Does it stain alright?

T.F.

K

tiki freak I have never carved palm so I dont know how heavy it is but I know a three foot piece of cedar that is about 9 inches weighs about 25-30 pounds depending on how dry it is. Also I have never stained cedar but have seen stuff Bill has sanded and stained and it looks really good.

Thanks, everybody! Polypop, the only thing I could tell you is to remember you're carving "in the round" of the log, and that by varying the depth a bit you can use that to your advantage. Bodies are basically round, but just keep proportion in mind always. And take your time....take weeks if you have to and work at your own pace until it's everything you want it to be. I think people put way too much emphasis on speed. Leroy Schmaltz said that patience is a tiki carver's greatest attribute. Oooooooommmmmmmm

M

Nice photos Kahuna. A Bk Whopper (with cheese.) That is quite an achievement. Keep em coming.
Gecko, the inlaws are now on Maui. I tried to divert them to Oahu and Mariana's but they are there for golf and reading. What's a tiki nut to do? Keep posting your wonderful carvings.

[ Edited by: tikifreak on 2004-12-20 12:00 ]

'Lookin good...

G
GECKO posted on Wed, Apr 9, 2003 12:05 PM

bk,tf lookin cherry. Just gotta clean tangaroa up and he will be ready 'fo his finnish.

shoots

G
GECKO posted on Wed, Apr 9, 2003 12:18 PM

whos da tourist in da piture playin with my im aka? jus kiddin'
I'm glad your enjoying my aka BK. Wen you finish playing with it send to me ya.

eh Poly p, good luck with da body braddah! your taking da next step that begining carvers a scared to take! a lot quicker that the average begginer to take dat step too! mus be da Filipino blood in ya braddah! good luck!

No worries mr TikiBar, i gon see you one day here at LaMarianas! no need fo rush. aloha braddah!

ok villagerz, i must go fo work now.

Alohaz!

HH

damn that buggas got wun JLo okole!

G
GECKO posted on Wed, Apr 9, 2003 1:31 PM

eh wassup HH, good eye Hula! J-lo was just here posing for the sculpture for tangaroas okole! i got it pretty close eh!

ewww i love dat wahine!if she was here i wouldnt be playin with any chizles!

Dizaaaammn, junk in da trunk! G. BK I like yours too, I gotta get my hands on a log like that, I started carving in hardwood, and kinda miss it. Tikifreak, don't get all crazy, just take this for what it's worth from a fellow carver. Wayne Coombs is a very important figure in TIKI. Of the still active carvers, NO ONE TOPS Leroy, but Wayne is OLD SCHOOL and his contribution to the staying power and popularity of tiki is immense. These forerunners still pave the way for us newschool carvers to make a buck at carving. Educate yourself about the greats and pay your respects to them. In our minds we all have our own style and unique interpretation of Tiki. I've talked to the carvers that have influenced me and have made it a point to tell them so. Leroy and C'Al are a couple of mine. I'm a few years younger than you and don't claim to know it all, but I've learned that it's always best to talk softly and carry a big tiki. Sorry to anybody I might piss off with this long-a$$ opinion. After this post I will retire my written comments on this carving thread. Keep carving peeps.

Chickitiki... I agree with you... it pays to do a history lesson... and I have a high respect for all you mentioned including others historically covered in TBOT. Before I ever picked up a chisel I hung out with books from the library reading the history of the cultures and stories of the Gods... Personally, I'm with Gecko and BK in that I like to reflect the classic style of carving, and a little Israel Kamakawiwo'ole helps my mood too...
Makes my dark midwestern basement seem a little more island like...

Damned fine, Geck, as always....Hey I just got the courage up to send Leroy some pics of some of my stuff....Probably good for a laugh on his end, but I hear he's a real nice guy for being the Dalai Llama of Tiki carving!

Amen Chiki and LS.... my thoughts exactly.

Holy Moly, GT, and BK. You guys are a step above, an inspiration to the rest of us.

Duuuuude! I just got big props in a letter from Bob Van Oosting and Leroy Schmaltz! I had to muster up all of the courage I could to send them photos! They actually said the words "Well done","workmanship", and "talent". I feel like a Chaiou Lin who just got an audience with the Kung Fu Masters! Two nicer guys there never were...they even spoke of a guy that carved for them for 20 years named Ed Crissman that specialized in Marquesan and Tahitian figures...said he passed away a while back.I'd love to find out more about him and his work.

BK, Ed Crissman was a legend. His work is absolutely unbelievable! An example can be found on page 245 in the BOT. Traditionally styled carvings yet distinctly his own.

That's what I'd like to go for.

G
GECKO posted on Sun, Apr 13, 2003 1:28 PM

Alohaz peopo,

Congrats on da props BK from OA. I know how you wen feel. I was pretty estatic da first time dey bought sum of my work fo resale and den found out dat it all sold in da first week!! AUWIE!

anyways, here is the one week old Tangaroa finished. I wanted him to look vintage like he jus wen come from da old Trader vics tree house in Waikiki.

shoots

That's a masterful aging job on Tonga...high point wear and all....that's the way I personally like 'em. You da monsta!

Holy Sweet Mother of.....
Gecko.........you.......I'm at a loss for words.........awesome work.

[ Edited by: jungletrader on 2003-04-13 16:45 ]

Gecko, very nice! Perfect job on the aging - looks like he's 50 years old.

Gecko, That looks fantastic! You did a grrat job getting that thing looking ancient. If you have the time and don't mind givin' out the secrets, let us know how you did the aging process so perfectly. I am still trying to get that trick figured out. I have a friend that does some neat aging tricks on his paintings using spray paints and water, but It is more of a drippy rusty metal look .Once again Bruddah Gecko you blow our minds with your skillz.
You rock 'um,
Chongolio

Ok, well I'm going to be brave and post my firts tiki carving. I know it's not great, I have a long ways to catch up to BK and Gecko. I have learned alot while carving him, if you are working with palm you must make sure it is dry all the way. If not it's a bitch to work with. He only took me three months to do, just because when I started to carve him he was still wet inside. I cut as much as I could with a chainsaw (from the head to the noise)then I gave up and put him away for two months to let him dry all the way. From the mouth down it took me a few hours a day for two days and he was done. I still have to seal him up so he will last a few. I have one more three foot palm left and I'm going to wait two more months just to make sure it's dry all the way.

[ Edited by: mad-tiki on 2003-04-15 11:35 ]

That's great MT!

I guess you're really going to have to seal the hec out of that top part, so as to make sure it doesn't rot and fall forward. Very different design. It really makes you want to see it at all angles in comparison to some of the round/cylinder shaped tikis.

Hey, maybe the mouth could be a birdfeeder? Although you'd have a bunch-o-poop to deal with. You ought to try a small lighting unit under it's "eyebrow" area and on the underside of its top lip. I bet the effect would be eery and cool!

Mad-Tiki, very cool to see you carving! I too, have a long way to go before my skills are comparable to some of our in-house masters like Chiki, Gecko or BK. However, all it takes is practice to get us there.

T

Great stuff gecko, like always. You and Basement Kahuna are making great stuff. Chikitiki, I met zz zackery this weekend he had said he met you, what an awesome guy! Chicki, when can we see your stuff, I hear so much about it? Here's a shelf I made and I'm trying to sell. Check out the link if interested
-tOny dE TiKi
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=3371&forum=5&0

[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b3da32b3127cce96153806f6330000001610[/img

M

There you go tikitony, you forgot the ] .
I like that, it looks really cool.

[ Edited by: MaD-TiKi on 2003-04-15 16:36 ]

M

Thanks SugarCaddyDaddy,
I know I have to seal the hec out of it. The top part I did with a chainsaw and it went alittle to deep, next time it's all going to be done by hand (no chainsaw). I found after it's good and dry that chisels work very well. I have no idea what design I came out with, but I was going for the easter island look until the chainsaw went to far. Live and learn. For my first one I think it came out ok. The birdfeeder is not such a bad idea, I think I will try it. I don't have anything to burn it, so I'm just going to seal it and start getting ready for the next one.

PolynesianPop, thanks. Yeah, I would say I have a few good years to catch up with them guys. Like you said, with alittle practice we will get there. BK, Gecko, Chiki & all the other great cavers keep it up, you bring out the chisels in all of us.

K

Now let me get this straight..... I need to seal a fresh palm log immediately? At just the ends or the whole log? My roommate, friend, and I collected six 4-5' logs over the weekend, some of which are 3' in diameter, and probably close to friggin' 800 lbs. or so. I think we may all have hernias (sp?) from lifting the damn things. I imagine we'll have to wait forever to carve the logs, but anyway, what do I do in the meantime? Use pruning seal?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 662 replies