Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Carving Post

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 662 replies

Turbogod,
I was having a lot of computer problems and finally had to reinstall Windows. I think this must have something to do with the website bug. Thanks for your input. Also Thanks braddah JT.

Chikitiki, Gecko is rubbing off on me.
TurboGod, plmeovr, that's a good one. Cajabuz braddah!

Hey Mrtikibar. That tiki Rules! That last shot should be on the cover of something! Its got that Jungle voodoo thing working full strength. Nice work! be sure to seal in a virgin maidens blood! Goat juice will work in a pinch.
Boo-haa-haa-haa..........Brah.

Chongolio

Gecko and Jungle Trader, mahalo for your compliments! I love working small, its a challenge to get all those tiny details in there, and the results are rewarding! I do have four six foot by 2 foot diameter logs I have yet to start on... I am a bit timid about them still but, Gecko, as you said I will have to "get down an dirty in da ring wit em.

Tiki Freak... I use and old school tool called a drawblade to remove bark. If you keep 'em sharp they do the trick! And you can find them at flea markets for cheep...

Ok , here goes. I posted successfully on the testing site but the pictures are teeny weeny. Anyway, here ya go.

Second tiki I did.

This one I carved a few years ago in my living room.

This was a queen palm I carved a few years back that has slowly become a checking and cracking nightmare.

Uh oh, I think I just figured out why my pictures are dinky. Maybe these will be larger.

This one I carved about a month ago after a long hiatus from carving.

This guy was too heavy for me to lift. So envision him not lying onconcrete.

I'm going to stop, although I have more to post. I need to see if this sort of turns out.

Pretty darn good, huh guys? Boy do I feel better. I felt like I was sworn to secrecy not being able to show Tikifilles pictures. I really like the heavy one lying on the ground. Hey Dawna, do you have a name for any of them yet?

G
GECKO posted on Fri, Mar 14, 2003 9:55 PM

Mr.TikiBar congrats braddah! looks pretty kewl dude, see PolyP nobody scared here! "PP" is also a abreviation(sp?) fo POST PIX PolyPop!!!

Tikifille....are you single?? jus joke. you go wahine!

Tikifille, Excellent work!!!

Now I really don't wanna post mine...

(spoken like Elvis) Thank ya thank ya very much.
SCD you have past the "CONE OF SILENCE" test. Congrats.
PP- post the pics. My first one is not posted because it came out just fine ...except for the fact that I forgot to put a body on it....the wood was way too wet....its face fell of within 3 years...etc.
Gecko-yeah, rub it in. It's Friday night and I'm posting on tikicentral. Single.
I'm gonna try to post a few more, but in the carve your own tiki strand. Seeing as though I'm single and I've got nothing better to do.

G

ey no worries, I'm home fo da night to sistah! I asked if you was single in a joking way refering to I could use a wahine like you. anyways, good job elvis!

alohaz

Cool carvings peeps. If I missed anybody, that one is for y'all. Freak, I do the same as Gecko. Makes for some wide shoulders, you almost have to do it pissed off-like?

Enlargements of Tikifilles pictures.
This one is great!

Wish I could do some carving like you guys (and gal), but my artistry only goes as far as drawing "stickmen" with happyfaces, so instead of palm logs, I'd be scavaging for old broomsticks and round wood table tops.

WannabeArtisticCaddyDaddy

wow tikifille very nice work!

Super work fille. Very impressive. You can really see the difference a hand tool makes. You gonna keep posting pics here?

[ Edited by: purple jade on 2004-11-14 17:37 ]

A weapon should be worthy of the warrior, right? This is an Akatara (Cook Islands) I just finished for Gecko. It is six feet three inches long, carved in old growth black walnut and is a combination of three of this type of weapon that I have pictures of. It requires applying 44 individual serrated edges, 22 on each side...(boy, when those are done decorating the club is a pleasure!). The ancient design of these clubs is astonishingly effective, considering they are made of wood. Prior to finishing this one I took a single hard swipe at a 240-lb. corobond box, about the thickness of the skin on your knee, and this thing ripped a ghastly hole straight across it with ease (I have a picture I'll put on later). That said, this was done in the hands of a big, clumsy ass like me. Written history has it that indigenous war-wagers anywhere in the South Pacific were Samurai-like in their skill and discipline with their weapons. I could only imagine what kind of hell 3-or-4 hundred of these could unleash on a British or Dutch crew of 50 or 60 armed with muskets. You'd get the first shot off on the first wave of warriors and the second wave would be on you like a swarm of bees. Unlike the western invaders, they had no fear of death. You'd be (1) dead or (2) cut from stem to stern before you could even get your patch box open to load the second shot. Just ask James Cook! The small club pictured in the last shot is a simple Samoan type similar to ones that hang in groups in the Mai Kai and the now defunct hollywood Don The Beachcomber's.

[ Edited by: Basement Kahuna on 2003-03-30 00:14 ]

BK,
That looks fantastic. You are definitely Kahuna of the Polynesian war arsenal. I don't know if it would be a good idea to have that dangerous weapon around a group of grog crazed tiki conventioners but it would be a treat to have some on display at the Tiki Oasis swap meet. Any chance of that?

That's somewhat far for me unless I could ship to a trustee but I will be at Hukilau with a few.

G
GECKO posted on Sun, Mar 16, 2003 9:57 PM

well well well, r u tyin to impress me BK?

This carvin warrior will except his Cook Island Akatara by the weapons master from da village of TC. With da pleasure of knowing my fello weapons masta and friend I will retire da weapon and display it on da wall of my home of which it desirves to be.

I love da art of da Cook islands. Da Tiki Tangaroa is by far one of my favorites. So, da akatara will be a great piece to add to my personel collection. I will be looking to do more with ya BK for you have da mana fo weapons. Mahalo for your dedication and hard work on da Akatara. BK is da village blacksmith so go get your weapons.

Mahaloz BK!!!

BK , we'll be at the Oasis,so if you set up this sale, ship it over.

P.S. Swanky and Kiliki have started a fund to bail us all out of jail saturday morning so we can make the Mai Kai show. :)

G

BK sed
"Nothing like liquor, tikis, a big fireworks assortment, and ocean to get the stress off"

and Wahines! for us single guys. sorry BK.

I thought you had a wahine?

BK,
I'll add $some to that "Bail Fund"! See you in June.(tikis,booze,fireworks,ocean,score!!!)

BK,
I'll add $some to that "Bail Fund"! See you in June.(tikis,booze,fireworks,ocean,score!!!)

Unbelieable all the killer work posted this past week. P-pop haven't seen your post yet, whassup? Tikifille, what a great collection of tikis you busted out. The dude withthe tongue looks like he has a nice spot to hang out.
B.K. Dude, do you sleep? Your attention to detail is amazing. I am glad I am not a box laying around the Carvin' hut. After reading yur post about the weapons and then reading the one about the booze and fireworks on the beach, I have a very disturbing Hunter Thompsonesque vision of all you maniacs running loose under an apocalypce sky with primitive weapons. Scaring the crap out of whomever is nearby while you pillage palm logs. Gecko will probally be in bushes with some Wahine, eh Gecko!

Chongolio

Chongolio

G

Chongolio sed "Gecko will probally be in bushes with some Wahine, eh Gecko!"
dats right braddah Chongolio!

BK sed "I thought you had a wahine?"
Ey, don't type that so loud cuz!!
I don't have a ring on da finga brah.

anyways can't wait fo suckem up with da TC Villagers in da sunshine state of Florida!

Aloha

I figured I should throw a few of my palms into the ring...

And...

And then, lets get small...

Cheers!
Tiki King

Tiki King,
Nice tikis. I also enjoyed the writings (ramblings) from your website. Funny!
BK, yes we are bringing a small group to Palm Springs.
Also, thanks to Chongolio and the pro carvers for encouraging us amatuer carvers. A lot of satisfaction and (one sore elbow.)

Nice stuff, TK!

OK, well I've finally built up the courage to post some of my Hack-Jobs here for all to see. Please be kind, I'm still a Newbie at all this!

Here's a pic of my first Tiki. This log was started at Sabu's house during our super-secret carving session with the Masked Magician - Chiki Tiki. We didn't get very far that day and as such, I finished it at home. The "weathered" finish is a result of me staining the whole log and then sanding the raised portions with 40 grit.

Here's one I carved from a scrap of Pine that came from a tree my buddy just cut down. As you can see, Pine has different properties to it than Palm. The first two pics is the log as I rough it out.

Being the Newbie that I am at carving, I really jacked up a few things and so, decided to cut my losses and end my carving early. I really wanted to carve my lines deeper and add more detail to this one but I didn't want to waste more time on a tiki that kind of went south so left it kind of half-assed. When I reached a stopping point, I went ahead and sanded it for stain. As you'll notice, I left the skin on the back.

Here's the finished tiki after stain. I really tried the best I could to salvage the log but figured, it's going outside anyway. The stain is still in the process of drying. Once dry, I'll sand it smooth and coat it with some Polyurethane.

After the last one I did, I'm anxious to start a new one however, don't look forward to skinning the log (what a pain in the ass)! I'll post pics when its done.

**Poly-Pop ***

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop on 2003-03-20 16:35 ]

Barking is my least favorite core, but great for the pecks. Your tikis look better than my first attempts at carving wood! You should stick with it.

Maybe these guys can be hired for the tedious barking chore.

PolyPop,
Good carving. If I had a pumpkin beer I'd raise one in a toast.

Holy Moly, those look pretty good Poly. Better then my first one too.
Tiki King nice work, and Tikifille it's great to see your work too.
We've got some very talented folks here. keep it up. Can't wait to hear what Gecko says about your's Poly Pop. He'll say "looks like you grew some huevos". HAHA!

P-Pop,
Your way to hard on yourself. Those tikis look pretty dang good to me. Keep at it.
The polyurethane is an interesting twist.

Chongolio

Thanks for the encouraging words guys. As a tiki enthusiast, I see many great carvings - especially on this board. Mine is obviously first grader stuff but I'm on my way I guess. Carving IS fun - a great way to clear the mind.

BK - Maybe one day I can try weapons like yours. I figure the best way to learn is to just jump in and do it.

mrtikibar - thanks for the compliment. If you ever make it to So Cal, the first Pumpkin Beer is on me!

JT - Thanks! Yes, it would be interesting to see what G says -- what's pidgin for "huevos?"

Chongolio - Thanks for the comp. After some of the work I've seen on this board, I was REALLY intimidated to post my stuff. BTW - the polyurethane is to protect it from the elements as it will probably sit on my front porch.

Thanks again everyone. Now that I've posted mine, let's see some others! I know I can't be the ONLY one here who's carved something and was afraid to post it!

**Poly-Pop ***

[ Edited by: PolynesianPop on 2003-03-20 18:34 ]

K

Poly-pop.......

Those tikis are awesome! You're being way too humble. Man, I hope my first one looks half as good as those do! Now I'm really nervous.......

T

Polypop,
I agree you were being way to hard on yourself. They look great. I am working on one right now,based on my signature, but have been able to get the time to finish it.

BK like the splits? His name is the Mad Moai. Probably will stain it darker. Gonna try some fire on this one. Next step for me: 5 - 6 footers. I think I am ready. Gonna try to do 'um up nice for the PoweroftheTiki's deck bar this spring/summer.

Kahaka - Thanks for the awesome comp! Nervous? Yeah, I know bro. That's why it took me so long to post. Just go for it - what have you got to lose?

TG - Thank you for the comp. Hey man, that looks just like your logo! Bet it took forever to cut around the teeth!

Am I the only one that likes cracking? It just seems to me like every old tiki I've ever been infatuated with has had a crack or two that just "arrows in" the personality and story of the thing. I like old things, I like the aging on old things.

BK, I think cracking adds character to a piece. I recently purchased a 4ft burnt redwood pole from Bosko. It had cracks & checks all over it but it looks so natural on the log. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Yeah, It (a little cracking) just does something for it in a good way that can't be explained. Look at the tikis at the Place Of Refuge in Hawaii, and you can see what I'm trying to say. Just looks more "been there forever". By the way, Pop and Turbo, you have a super pieces in the kitty there...You got some talent you never knew about, and tiki creativity to boot.

[ Edited by: Basement Kahuna on 2003-03-20 21:00 ]

I
Ikit posted on Thu, Mar 20, 2003 9:00 PM

Does anyone know if some cracking is "added" to newer pieces by some of the more well known artists? I think that it could add character.

I dunno. You can carve green medium or soft woods(but not too green) and you'll get a crack or a little checking somewhere here or there almost certainly, unless you've got a "1-in-10" piece of wood.

Thanks Poly,
Yeah, I'm halfway around the mouth now. I like a little cracking too. I think it looks good on some Tiki. Mine crack 'cause I hadn't heard of the pruning sealer idea until weeks after they startred to crack.

Poly Pop- Nice work. I think both pieces came out great. The learning curve is exponential in your first pieces. Great job and cudos for bravery.

BK- I actually position cracks so that they end up in more elevated/viewed areas. I love it when the same fissure runs through an eye, the nose, the lips and a tooth (without knocking the tooth out). It's the ultimate tiki character.

Well it's about TIKIGOD-damned tiki PP. I like dem tikis. Turbo G, I like your sig tiki. You know cracks are good. We all have them.... and so should tikis.

Tikifille, HOW IN THE WORLD COULD YOU POSSIBLY BE SINGLE? Do all the men in your area ride the "short bus"? :)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 662 replies