Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / General Tiki

Ultimate Tiki Ride and what would you do to it?

Pages: 1 2 3 106 replies

EsQui, you're sleeping in the backyard tonight. So pitch a tent dear.

Love, your wife.

T

[ Edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 18:45 ]

H
hewey posted on Tue, Sep 14, 2004 7:01 PM

My ultimate tiki ride would be a Ford Model A Woody, air bag suspension, 351 Cleveland, 5 speed shift, yellow with red steelies, wide white walls, hibiscus print seats (benches all round) vintage surf stickers in the rear windoes, bamboo longboard out the back window...

Failing that a VW splitscreen van ('60s) set up with '70s mechanicals, same mods as my woody (eg. paint, trim etc)

H
hewey posted on Tue, Sep 14, 2004 7:13 PM

Check out these cool links:

http://www.oldbug.com/412.htm
('70s VW Type 4 Woody, air bag suspension, tiki stuff, droool...

http://mooneyes.co.jp/english/shop/koubou/about/
(Mooneyes Japan woody shop. All they do is woodies and pseudo woodies)

http://mooneyes.co.jp/english/photo.html
(Mooneyes project gallery. Tiki themed rides under 90% of the areas. Go if you like rods/kustoms and woodies, surf wagons

Here a car that I took pictures of in june at a show. I've always wanted a older wagon. This one has full airride suspension.

look at the solid billet that was cnc'ed for the wheels

[ Edited by: rodeotiki on 2004-09-14 20:33 ]

[ Edited by: rodeotiki on 2004-09-15 15:58 ]

[ Edited by: rodeotiki on 2004-09-15 16:00 ]

Has anyone seen a tiki-themed boat at their local marina? I've been crewing on various sailboats on San Francisco Bay this summer, and I've seen lots of old wooden boats that could easily be tikified....

I have a Tiki Bar on my boat. Will post pics soon.

T

I live in cold Michigan and there is a boat just down the river from my house. Its a pontoon party boat with a thach roof, ratten sides with bamboo poles. Its been floating for ten years

H
hewey posted on Tue, Jan 11, 2005 9:26 PM

A tiki bus has been found! It belongs to Prosign in London, England. A 60's VW kombi in hot rod/surf bus theme. Amazing candy hibiscus roof. Check it out:

http://www.prosign1.com/photo3.html

R

On 2004-08-18 09:03, Johnny Dollar wrote:
let's not forget filipino jeepneys

YES YES! The Philippino Jeepney is a good choice! I even saw them with knock off '57 Ford Fairlane style fins! Since they are custom made you can have it just about anyway you want.....as long as it sort of resembles a Jeep. :D Locally though I have grown to appreciate the 90's Caprices that we drove for taxis. I say drove because alas they are no more and are quickly having to be replaced with newer Ford Crown Vics. :oops: I have come to realize that the Caprices had a sort of 40's look about them (in a modern way). Since Key West is known for it's funky unique cars, I may get one and paint it with a leopard skin motiff. Maybe not the best choice but at least I can afford it! :wink:

[ Edited by: Rattiki on 2005-01-12 05:29 ]

Bodysntacher, yes, that's indeed "oldschool" makes me think of The Monkey's old ride...I think it was a customised Pontiac stationwagon...or Ambulance

The "Monkeemobile" was a converted '66 Pontiac GTO sedan compliments of George Barris. There were 2 made for the show. Great link here:

http://www.monkees.net/docs/mmobile.htm

Haulin Hearse is another cool '60s car. I built this model when I was a very young boy. It came complete with a casket that slid in and out of the back (the back gate actually opened and closed!):

http://www.geocities.com/grimtoys/haulin.jpg

My current ride is a 2004 Jeep Rubicon ... best all-around offroad machine ever; I wouldn't trade it for the world. Now, for a purely cool cruiser, I would like to lay my hands on a 1957 Chrysler New Yorker 2-dr, hard or soft-top w/ a 392 HEMI. Yea baby! (where'd I put my drink?)

Here's a perfect specimen:

http://www.calcruisingauctions.com/auction/XcAPViewItem.asp?ID=4491

[ Edited by: MaiTaiMafia on 2005-01-14 00:07 ]

[ Edited by: MaiTaiMafia on 2005-01-14 00:12 ]

B

I to am in the Manx club and I have been using my buggy as a dayly driver. I also have the 64 motorhome. I was tiki befor I knew it.

Sorry about the size of the pic. It looked fine before. I will try and fix it.

[ Edited by: BobFJ40 on 2005-01-14 14:00 ]

G

On 2004-08-08 16:51, Gigantalope wrote:
Darts and Lancers (some Ramblers & Studebakers ) were cheap and bullet proof. Also they kinda looked like tropical fish.

A pool surrounded by flagstones, torches against a dark (scrim) sky, and the 1964 Rambler. That works for me!

I drive the four-door version of the one in the middle, in gold.

Cheers,
Gwen Smith

[ Edited by: gwenners on 2005-02-13 08:53 ]

I vote this just in case anybody missed it.

[ Edited by: thechikitiki on 2005-02-08 22:42 ]

This one might get the same tiki treatment. Future tiki shop truck. Now it is just a paper weight.

J

Oooh sweeet van!

Pure genious.

H
hewey posted on Wed, Feb 9, 2005 8:02 PM

thechikitiki where did you find that ride? She is totally beuatiful. Do you have any more details of it?

I've been apart of the Art Car circut here in Texas for almost 10 years. I've seen many cool projects and driven many for a friend who did Art Cars (I could never afford a 2nd vehicle). I tell you, there is nothing like rolling down the highway on your way to Houston with peopl smiling, taking photos and such. The best ones are the ones who try to ignore you.

Last year I went there was a "Traveling Tiki Bar". I want to say it was an old RV or ice cream truck. It was ok looking, not very many tiki gods to notice, but fun anyways.

H
hewey posted on Sun, Feb 13, 2005 3:00 AM

here is a link to a (very) short story I wrote for gearheads. I would liken it to how a surfer might explain the soul of surfing

http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=13198&forum=6&0

F
foamy posted on Sun, Feb 13, 2005 8:29 AM

The ultimate I think would be the Kaiser Pele...but I don't think this ever went into production, that it only existed as a prototype. There's pix of it in Sven Kirsten's Book of Tiki.

Otherwise...I'd go for either a '61 Chevy Bel Air and I'd add tiki accents...or my other ultimate, a '59 Cadillac Superior Hearse, lowered and done up like a woody.

Chikitiki , did that rod ever sell , i saved a photo of it , cant wait to see the shop truck done.

Yeah it sold, I think it is featured in harcore rod and custom. Nash shot it and I think Nash does Burnout(japanese hot rod mag)

Rodeotiki...your little signature thingee is freakin' me out! How does it know all my internet info?!! :o

On 2005-02-15 22:56, johntiki wrote:
Rodeotiki...your little signature thingee is freakin' me out! How does it know all my internet info?!! :o

John, that's the IP address you're posting from, your OS & browser version. Those thingees are fed by simply bouncing a couple of requests off your computer, that your computer's quite happy to respond to. That's one way pirate sites find PCs with security holes to zombify. Renting lists of zombie computers to spammers, virus hackers & DDoS Blackmailers is a big business, earning the list holders thousands of dollars a week. If you're worried about websites being able to extract this info that easily, try using an internet anonymizer like anonymizer.com

That's one way pirate sites find PCs with security holes to zombify. Renting lists of zombie computers to spammers, virus hackers & DDoS Blackmailers is a big business, earning the list holders thousands of dollars a week.

I am not a hacker and am not connected in anyway to a site that is. If anyone has a problem with this please pm me and I will change it.

Rodeotiki

[ Edited by: rodeotiki on 2005-02-16 09:43 ]

On 2005-02-16 09:19, rodeotiki wrote:
John, that's the IP address you're posting from, your OS & browser version. Those thingees are fed by simply bouncing a couple of requests off your computer, that your computer's quite happy to respond to.

That's one way pirate sites find PCs with security holes to zombify. Renting lists of zombie computers to spammers, virus hackers & DDoS Blackmailers is a big business, earning the list holders thousands of dollars a week.

I am not a hacker and am not connected in anyway to a site that is. If anyone has a problem with this please pm me and I will change it.

Rodeotiki, I'm sorry, I wasn't accusing you of anything, a number of my friends use the same piece of code to remind each other of the inherent security holes built into the internet. I was going to say that's what you were doing & was distracted.

Let me state for the record that I believe rodeotiki's "thingee" is a good "thingee." We should be reminded often how open our computers are to others, and it's better if we're reminded by those who aren't trying to use that information against us. That way we might be prepared to protect ourselves against those who wish us ill.

Found this on the internet. No idea where it came from or who it belongs to. Mystery Bug.

Sabu

H

There's a reason there is no name on that bug - its bloody ugly! And I drive a bug, so its not like i dont like them, or dont like tiki!

RUT

[ Edited by: R U Tiki 2006-08-05 23:13 ]

RUT

A few photos of some polynesian/tiki themed art cars.

Sun and Sand work van from Florida...has a carved tiki on the front

Tapa Truck

Tahitian Dreams from Houston, TX

Close up of painted tikis

H
hewey posted on Wed, Sep 27, 2006 4:08 AM

This is currently being done with a full tiki theme - guys local to me too, and a nice bloke :)

this is an old post..most pics don't exist anymore..
but here is a pic of my 59 Ford ranchwagon. Its a rare two door wagon.
Its gonna be all tiki style with hibiscus flowers in it and a surfboard on the roof etc. etc.

there will be a roofrack between the car and the surfboard :)

hand made brake and gaspedal

the fire... uhh.. thing.

I bought an ather shiftknob but I dont have a pic of it.
And i took the car apart, i am restoring it at the moment.

How about this?

H
hewey posted on Thu, Sep 28, 2006 8:30 PM

Nice ride tiki rodder! Be sure to post more pics :)

TS

I'm working on my 1965 Lincoln "Con-tiki-nental"....
About a year ago...

Then I had some pinstriping on it with a candy cobalt blue fade roof with metalflake:

And now the car no longer is in primer flat black...The whole body is a cobalt blue metallic that shifts to a navy blue metallic depending on light. the roof has been stripped and redone with House of Kolor F-15 Silver metalflake...next step is the tropical candy blue panels over the silverflake roof that should be done within the next 3 weeks or so depending on how busy the shop is.I'll post pics of the final layout as soon as the car is done. 60s custom all the way!

H
hewey posted on Wed, Oct 4, 2006 6:10 AM

That is a NICE ride Slick. Cant wait to see the final pics :)

Just realised my wagon aint in here...

I got her and added the letters for the Nostalgia Drags (book covering vinyl hand cut :) ) Did 19 second quarters... hahaha

My brother and I waiting for a run at the drags.

Here she is not too long ago. The steelies and thin whites look much cooler :) Currently rebuilding the engine, but got lottsa tiki plans :)

On 2006-09-28 20:30, hewey wrote:
Nice ride tiki rodder! Be sure to post more pics :)

I will do that for shore,

TS

Thanks Hewey for the compliment. I like the lettering you did...That style brings home some memories! the Tahitian Burban is done really nice, but I have a trick lace that is going to tie in the whole tiki/savage theme.Im looking foward to the results, but I wish I could do something tiki with the interior...(Its all original lincoln interior,intact like new and I don't have the heart to destroy the original interior.)Paint to me is like makeup for cars,if you have the money, you can change it as often as you want with no permanent damage. My Lincoln so far has had 4 paintjobs (1 factory burgandy metallic, and 3 others by me!)

H
hewey posted on Thu, Oct 5, 2006 1:29 AM

On 2006-10-04 23:18, Tom Slick wrote:
I like the lettering you did...That style brings home some memories!

I got a lot of comments on it. It was literally done in piss poor light at night, the night before the drags, out the front of my girlfreinds place. Guesstimated what size letters would work, cut em out, worked out spacing and put em on. The black outline is just a real thick marker pen :) Low tech baby! But shoulda seen it sparkle in the sun - pretty :)

I have a trick lace that is going to tie in the whole tiki/savage theme.Im looking foward to the results, but I wish I could do something tiki with the interior...

I looked for tiki/surf lace for the roof and came up empty :( Im gonna get hibiscus in copper pearl airbrushed onto the roof though - eventually :) something like this:

Got lottsa plans for the interior - quite ratty in places. Ill pst pics when I do em.

K
Kanaka posted on Thu, Oct 5, 2006 6:36 AM

I'm going to repaint my chopper black with some green metalflake lace panels on the tank and fender. I wanted to incorporate tiki using a kustom carved jockey shifter knob and maybe some designs in the paintwork. Does anybody have a source for hibuscus/tropical/tiki lace or have some to sell for my project.

thx,

Kanaka

I looked for tiki/surf lace for the roof and came up empty :( I'm gonna get hibiscus in copper pearl airbrushed onto the roof though - eventually :) something like this:

I saw that T1 in England last summer and thats the way i am gonna paint my roof to, only than in blue

R

That T1 was done using a vinyl stencil , there are pics somewhere on the net showing the process. I will try and find them.

H
hewey posted on Thu, Oct 5, 2006 8:08 PM

I was thinking a hand cut stencil (cardboard maybe) of a single hibiscus and an airbrush for mine.

OK well better late than never...

Since I decided to get rid of this-

because I have too many projects already...

My "Ultimate Tiki Ride" has been bumped to eventually being my '48 Willys-

I haven't worked out the complete plan yet. When the hardtop (which will get my tiki/surf sticker collection I had compiled for the van) is off I will have a bikini top with thatching over it. Probably decorate the front tube bumper with bamboo and rope. Some tropical seat covers. Tiki shift knobs (since there are 4 total!) Something I may experiment with would be making the roll cage look like a bamboo cage. I could lash split bamboo canes over the padding...but that obviously would take away from the protection of the padding. Perhaps I could have some tan colored vinyl covers made that close with velcro (like on bicycles frames) and paint faux bamboo nodes onto them, and add some rope to the corners...hmmmm.
Any ideas?

Lots of the earlier pics from this post are gone so this may have already been posted, especially since it's probably owned by a member, but I took these at Tiki Oasis VI.

K
Kanaka posted on Fri, Oct 6, 2006 6:46 AM

Killer Jeep Berdoo John. How about giving it a woodie look with real wood side panels & maybee do the top too. I'm also building a fiberglass dune buggy with some tiki influence. It's got an Olds Toronado front clip welded to the back end that was done in the late 60s. I got it without a drivetrain. I just put in a 455 V8 with auto transaxle from a 1973 Toronado. Doing it up in 60s Roth monster streat freak style. I've got to finish the wiring and brakes and it will be on the road. Next year a new metalflake blue body and model A style red metalflake vinyl bench seat interior. I'll add some tiki pinstriping. Should be a good wheelie machine!!!

Kanaka

[ Edited by: Kanaka 2006-10-06 07:05 ]

Pages: 1 2 3 106 replies