Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Beyond Tiki, Bilge, and Test / Beyond Tiki

Beside Tiki....................

Pages: 1 2 3 4 172 replies

TBC

Aloha Jab!
Thats One Bitchen Tiki on highway #62!
But That not mine or our Pad!The carver of that Tiki Died around 2000!
That waz on the "Tiki Tour " That waz suppose to B with the "Tiki Oasis" but cant have everything! If any of You T.C. freaks!
R Up this Way give us a E ! Or Call (not that youll get thru,only one phone line!)
(760) 369-7029 Okole Maluna -=CC=-

By day I work at a digital imaging pre-press house doing film for printshops and some graphic design. I've also worked as a photo printer, photographer (I was a photo/art major in college), vintage model, and burlesque dancer.

My main hobby is collecting vintage clothing for the past 25 years. (The closet space HAS run out.) Most of it is 50's and 60's although my collection does date back as far as 1910. I also enjoy creating other costumes (fantasy & futuristic) and specializing in recreating the looks of several different eras. Then, I like to wear some of the stuff to various vintage (inspired) events.

I'm also into historical preservation issues, classic and silent films (I'm a sucker for a plotless-yet-brightly-colored Maria Montez film), music of all eras (including today's & tomorrow's-like modern lounge and electronica), driving my 1963 Chevy Nova (named Audrey) while also dreaming of a new Mini, and doing yoga to remind myself to come back to the present once in a while.

Who me? Ok, besides carving tikis, mugs and stuff, I like learning new things, welding,making furniture, upholstery(yes I can sew on those turbo machines) and always seem to be doing some of that useless McGuyver stuff. I also enjoy cycling (cannondale mtb) spending time with my wife and driving her crazy. We travel to Los cabos a couple of times a year and even got married there two years ago. There is no better fishermen than my friends out of the playita. If you are going let me know.

M

"What do you do?"

I do very well, thank you.

midnite*

*ex-trial atty, former equity trader, current bon vivant.

beside my tiki i have a don ho cocktail glass filled w/ swizzle sticks.

beside my other tiki i have a little wooden maori box w/ mother of pearl eyes.

beside my other tiki...

:wink:

G
GECKO posted on Fri, Aug 16, 2002 3:07 PM

I work for the dept. of the Navy here at Pearl Harbor. I load and unload supply material for the ships and subs. I have a terrific view of the U.S.S Arizona memorial right here in front of my desk. It's a big opened supply wharehouse. Befor I came back to da islands I worked as a correctional officer at CCA (Corrections Corparation of America)in SanDiego living in Oceanside CA. Thank GOD I don't have to drive down I-5 on Fridays anymore! dam it was packed!

well hey...i'm totally of no use to you at all since i work in the surf industry and sell the wee buggers (tikis). i happen to be Crazy Al's rep (uh oh, here she is, look out) in addition to other surf related product such as Mauna Kai Hawaii (they also make bitchin' tikis....check 'em out at maunakaihawaii.com) AND having the only company (Mach Turtle Prods.) that distributes surf and instro CDs to the surf shops around the world.....hey, i'm in Australia now! there is absolutely NO excuse for me not having posted here before except i am too busy gathering trash from off the local beaches after some inland yobo has carelessly left it there just to taunt me....too busy explaining to bar and club owners just why surf music would be a good choice to have in a southern California venue (ya think?)....too busy fighting with lifeguards at the beach every time my dog wants to play water frisbee....and too busy driving up and down the coast going to Mermen shows (oops, i meant....ahem.....selling Tikimania creations...yeah, that's the ticket).

Ben, the only thing i can provide for you is to be your tribal sistah and maybe lay some music on ya to play in your digs. and do remember to tell me when you think Billie (my drop dead gorgeous aussie with the tail) has had enough of your chicken teri :wink:

Jamie

I'm a stay at home dad, I watch my four month old and 3.5 year old daughters.
Besides tiki I also collect cookbooks and black glass.
I'm an avid cook, quilter, seamstress and book freak (worked at three books stores and two libraries.
I like Pina Coladas and getting caught in the rain, I'm not into yoga and I have half a brain.

[ Edited by: Mano Tiki Tia on 2002-08-18 23:37 ]

On 2002-08-18 23:35, Mano Tiki Tia wrote:

I like Pina Coladas and getting caught in the rain...

[ Edited by: Mano Tiki Tia on 2002-08-18 23:37 ]

Do you like makin' love at midnight?

yes, in the dew of the cape.

[ Edited by: Lance Samason 2007-07-06 15:18 ]

TM

I'm a cartographer for a publishing company in Sydney.I've always been drawn to Tikis for as long as I can remember, must have been that steady diet of National Geographic Magazines! I'm also an artist - drawing, painting, & sculpture etc. I recently carved a couple of fine Tikis out of aerated concrete blocks - I was even able to show them off(from a photo) to Shag!,when he was in Sydney last May.
I love to travel (Backpacking only)when time & money allows.Places I've enjoyed thoroughly are Japan, Guatemala (& the whole Maya region),USA, & New Zealand. But the place that really awoke the Tiki within was Samoa! I had 3 weeks in this Polynesian paradise in 1998, & so long as you don't mind roughing it(cold showers, no Air-con)& are not in a hurry you can stay in your own thatched hut (called a 'fale')on the beach for about $15USD a night(including Breakfast & Dinner).This is Independent Samoa I'm talking about NOT nearby American Samoa.
Despite all the appearances of the most traditional Polynesian society around, Tikis are rarely to be seen - if at all. Kava (Ava in Samoa)Bowls though can be found.
If you want an extremely laid-back holiday with a traditional culture thrown in, Samoa will reward you, without breaking the bank!
I'd love to go back. My next trip I hope will be the Cook Islands -not as traditional I believe, but with great scenery & Tiki carvings to buy!

T

I carve tiki's & an art student at Cal Poly , San Luis Obispo, CA with 2 quarters left. For the people who are doing what they truely love for a living (paying the bills,etc.) Did you go for the career your in or fall into it? How am I gonna support myself? Yikes! ...Ah buy my tikis, that's how!
http://www.geocities.com/tikitonynose
(buy my tikis) help me pay for school!

Aloha Tikitony,
Get used to TOP RAMEN!!!!

K

I work as a senior art director for a healthcare ad agency in San Francisco. Pretty weird stuff. My main client makes toothbrushes and has a name that ends in "-B."

I collect weird paintings (see 'em at the Thriftstore Art Gallery: http://www.hugemagazine.com/thrift/index.html) and 50's pottery and paraphernalia with my wife. So, of course we spend a lot of weekends at garage sales and flea markets (like most people here...)

I'm also the editor, publisher and main content generator of Huge Magazine (when I have some spare time).

hang out with ma friends alot,carve tikis for the Kreepy tiki when not working in the Tattoo shop.have regular underground prizefight tournaments,member of da "boneyard Kreepers " kustom/klassic car club.and collect old monster and tiki stuff on my free time.

H

In my non-tiki life, I'm in computational biology. I design and develop database-driven applications for a research institute. It's not as boring as it sounds. Or maybe it is. And I collect PEZ dispensers.

In my tiki life, I am always working on my tiki bar, and adjusting my drink menu. I'm thinking about taking a bartending class. I have a feeling it's going to end up on the list of Things I Said I Was Going To Do, But Never Will. Somewhere between becoming a coxswain and taking ballet classes.

D

[ Edited by: DaneTiki 2009-08-30 19:31 ]

T

Don't waste your money on a bartending class! Unless you know of a goo done. If I were you I'd just get an old book abd follow along...

Chhers
-the ex-bartender who never took a bartending class

TK

Besides Tiki....? I'm not sure I understand...

He means what do you do when your asleep
Because we know when we wake up, It's all TIKI till we sleep again?

Sometimes it's Tiki when I sleep too. No real plot or theme to the dreams, just some sort of eternal search for tiki this or that.

C

Hi All,
I'm a retired School Psychologist who now writes novels about the North and South Pacific. Four are set in Hawaii, (Aloha And MaiTais, An End To Innocence, Kuhina Nui, Kula Keiki Ali'i) one is set in Tahiti (Mission Mururoa) one is set in B.C. (Return of the Canoe Societies). What do they all have in common? Tikis of course or at least a representative of an Indigenous God.

Rosemary,

I've heard it theorized that the reason North American Native Americans living on the Pacific coast carved totems, was more than likey because Polynesian tikis may have drifted to sea during storms and ended up in North America. Hence, they liked them and carved their own. What do you think?

Jeez,
what an eclectic crowd. Chongolio is the name and creativity is my game. I wear so many dang hats my neck hurts. On any given day I may be doing one or all of the following: graphic design, web design and maintanence, sign and banner making, offset printing, video filming and editing, photography, animation, cartooning, illustration, painting, gardening etc..Really the list does go on but I think you all get the idea. Here is a link to my business website for anybody intersted:
http://www.lost-isle.com.
I am still working on my Chongolio site but as you can tell, I am kinda busy.
Cheers,
Chongolio
"I am dying to make a living"

T

I was just at the Canadian Musum of Civilization in Ottawa marvelling at the west coast totems, and taking lots of pictures. Many are EXTREMELY tiki like. I'll post one - I had it on my digital camera, and as I was reviewing some tiki bar pics in the viewfinder yesterday, I saw one of the Haida totem pictures in the mix - I thought - hmm, I dont remember that big tiki from the restaurant! That's how close it was...

C

What a cool thread. Here's what I do to support my "habit"
I work in cable television - analyzing the Nielsen ratings for my programming department.
Moved to DC area from Atlanta in '99. Originally from South Carolina.
In addition to tiki bars/tiki stuff, I also collect monkeys with fezzes, lava lamps, 50's furniture & lamps, old LPs (mostly for the cover art), images of airstream trailers, old motels & amusement parks, Roadside attractions-type stuff, African art, penguins, old cartoons (Boomerang network), Morocco Mole, old books, Pee Wee Herman, HR PufNStuf, old tv shows, vintage barware, travel & nature photography - South Africa (Cape Town) especially, urban archaeologist, A-Frame buildings, atomic age neon signs, old kitchen appliances, unusual lamps/lighting, Laugh In, old magazines, whatever takes me back to the happy days of my childhood.

[ Edited by: Chacha on 2003-02-04 11:56 ]

I am a full time Fred Sanford (antiques and collectibles broker). Republican (AND old punk rocker...imagine that!). Night driver. Coffee hound. Guitar player. Trout fisherman. AR-15 and Glock shooter. Occasional skeet shooter (I like pertty over-and-unders for that). Lover of Appalachian Mountain living. Collector of old coffee cans (I have about 270 different). Owner of five cats and a Brittany Spaniel (well, actually I guess God is their owner, we're just the custodians).Tiki connoisuer. Married to wonderwoman. Big tiki bar in our basement (obsessed).

I am a studio art major with concentrations in printmaking and photography and probably the youngest poster on TC! My boyfriend is going to start grad school soon...he is a real archaeologist (aside from being an urban archaeologist too) and specializes in south eastern ceremonial complexes. We are both into everything tiki as well as backpacking, travelling, making stuff, collecting random junk, and lots of good music.

Mary Huff is my idol.

I am a graphic designer for Rusty Surfboards and a freelance artist on the side. I collect 50s and 60s furniture, lamps, and records as well as all things tiki. I also do a little carving and build vintage styled furniture.

I surf and I play guitar and sing in the rockabilly band " '59 Deluxe".

S

I am a Firefighter/EMT and I tune/repair pianos on the side. (Nice mix huh?)

My wife (who is keen on the tiki bar idea but not the whole house like I had planned) is my EMT partner and also an X-Ray Tech.

I have an 8yr old son who isn't currently employed by anyone but me.

I like all things Tiki and all things Disney. A Disney Cruise is an awesome combination of my favorite cultures!

I've also started a Tiki radio station. The link is below in my signature.

Stuart

Hey, check out my radio station on live365. It's called Exotica Tiki Lounge
http://www.live365.com/stations/300703

[ Edited by: stunrut on 2003-02-18 10:19 ]

E

Another geek: 13 years in Windows, 800 hours web design instruction including 3D and digital audio, which has now become my other hobby, though I was originally and still am a hands-on percussionist (Afro-Cuban, Brazilian, reggae, funk). Presently underemployed in both web design and troubleshooting/repair.

Er, lessee...Tiki mug, Hawaiian shirt, and CoCo Joe collecting, obsessing on the movie "Blade Runner", dreaming about the Californian, Hawaiian, and Caribbean vacations I'm going to take with Mrs. emspace and emspace Jr. (due early June) some day, plotting and planning with Mrs. emspace on how we're going to get out of wage-slavery, definitely somethong for children (she's a painter & filmmaker by education, kids' art and play therapist by trade)...

emspace

I'm a Design Engineer at National Steel & Shipbuilding Co.in S.D. I'm re-designing HVAC and piping systems on U.S. Navy ships (LHA's & LHD's)to meet current specs. I've been transplanted here since 1988 when TODD L.A. Shipyard closed and I left Pedro to move to S.D.

I am the editor of an obscure trade magazine on defense contracting. So a big hello to Shipwreck Joey! I also write another trade mag on the taxation of failed banks. In my spare time I publish a zine on punk and indie rock called Face Of The Assassin, check it out at http://www.tongueoftheeye.com.
I also raise money for a dog rescue group, collect vintage clothes, 50's furnature and lamps, pulp novels and I worship the rock band Pavement.

Tikigodess,

If you're in defense contracting I'm sure you've heard of China Lake Navel Weapons Center.

I lived out there as a kid, as my father developed such systems as the sidewinder, rockeye, tomahawk and other fun toys.

M

Hey Bong-

Does Christina Aguilera count as a Navel Weapon?

:)

-martin

S

lol

Hi Tiki Bong, Ive heard of the weapons center but I dont know too much about it. I do write an awful lot about Tomahawks though...

Where do I begin?

I work in Corporate Finance! I handle the banking, investing, and debt relationships for 24 Hour Fitness (Before that I worked for Wells Fargo).

I have been rockclimbing since I was 10, am and avid surfer, I mountain bike to work almost every day (all off road), I enjoy playing guitar, and doing anything artistic.

I have spent a ton of time lately building furniture. I really enjoy woodworking and cabinetry. Cough Cough, can you say SAWDUST. All this Tiki stuff has really given me opportunity to be creative and ply my skills to it.

Monkeyman

S
sungod posted on Mon, Jun 9, 2003 5:06 PM

I fly, I sail, I throw caution to the wind. Drift like a stratus cloud above the...Oh wait! That's not me. That's some other guy I know.
I pay the bills as a Home Care Respiratory Therapist, but am currently transitioning into the real estate profession.
Most of my spare time is spent with my 2 kids and trying to convincing my wife that I really really do need some more tiki stuff.

Sungod

Hello all:

I'm the General Manager of the Souplantation rest. in Garden Grove. I give discounts to all TC members.

Interests: Avid tennis player, currently ranked #6 in So Cal 5.5 singles. Constantly restoring my 65 Buick Riviera. Collector of Shag and Ryden, looking for a Leeteg. Into rattan furniture and almost all tiki related items. Love Ed Wood films
and Rockabilly. Use to hunt and fish but outside of So Cal. Raised Catholic. Want some advice-Date Catholic women! Reading this I sound like a strange dude, but I look like the poster boy for the Republican party.

A lot of geeks here, and here’s another.
I have my own business, I do audio and video website designs (multimedia).
http://www.audioautographs.com
I also bartend for the benefits (no, not getting drunk), insurance.
Wherever I live, it has to be on the ocean, which explains why I am always broke.

TIKI ON WAYNE, TIKI ON GARTH!!

I have been a floral designer for sixteen years and am currently managing the oldest and largest florist in Santa Cruz county. I came to Santa Cruz orginally to go to UC Santa Cruz. I earned a BA in Psychology in 1997. After a short hiatus in San Francisco I returned to Santa Cruz, my favorite place on earth with Neil, my husband and favorite person.

My favorite type of floral design? High style with tropicals of course. Below is an arrangement I did for a friend's wedding.

M

I am a college administrator. (Enough said)
I also have a side gig as a national trainer in educational retention, grant writing, and teaching (during the summer.)

For fun, I like to buy, sell, trade, collect, repair, destroy, and alter hawaiiana, tiki's, and modern furniture. I also have a very bizzare toy collection.

Born and raised in CA. (and proud of it!!)
My family is from Samoa/Hawaii and now CA. In my spare time :) I like to eat & Drink, travel, get into arguments at swapmeets, and Hang with the Familia.

Philosophy: Don't sweat the small stuff (no worries). :tiki:

Buy, Sell, & Trade it...

[ Edited by: MTKahuna on 2003-07-01 10:07 ]

I do all sorts of print-related graphics - books, cards, anything printed - I do it. I also dabble in web stuff. Here's the promotional spiel: http://www.cjfdesign.com

Please feed me!

For more info about me, just click on the "homepg" button below.
[ Edited by: jungletrader on 2003-07-10 07:33 ]

[ Edited by: Jungle Trader on 2005-05-26 07:33 ]

How did I become so boring? This link (Mahalo, Ben) is fascinating & may well be the highlight of the month!

I've been in the hospitality business for about 25 years.

Bonnie & Clyde (my "parents") were extremely colorful. They traveled the world, always seeking out the local watering holes. I decided I wanted to be in the hotel business when I was 9, and the deal was sealed on a 5-island trip to Hawaii (w/mom & dad) when I was 11.

The outer islands were still very "authentic" then and we stayed at places like the Waikikian, the Coco Palms, and the Kona Inn. (I"ve got this picture of me looking terribly geeky at the Tahitian Lanai.) I'm one of those "need to be reinforced" personalities so imagine my joy when dad gave me a buck to carry 6 billion suitcases up the stairs to our room at the Kona Inn, in order to keep me occupied (STOP LAUGHING). Still, I was really excited, and that particular "scene" was the reinforcement that sent me on my career path (honest).

In the meantime, I used to clear ocean freight shipments in SF & honed my negotiating skills by persuading shipping lines, truckers, & steevedores to do what I wanted. I spent time scraping out tile floors & driving a flatbead on carpet and linoleum pick-ups in SF, & worked countless hours on phone banks & door-to-door for candidates in the bleeding heart capital of the world (SF).

One campaign found me a the corner of Castro & Market, and I had some gay asian 20-something screaming at me "go back to your own neighborhood." I'm pretty certain I'm a gay man trapped in a straight man's body. Oh, and I can't forget my jail time in Houston and being fingerprinted in SF.

I performed as the Nutcracker the last two years with a local dance company and my favorite magazines are Popular Mechanics, Motor Trend, and Consumer Reports. My life is really quite average, but I have potential (single and available)!!

[ Edited by: [email protected] on 2003-07-10 00:46 ]

Casey,
Did you fall off the wagon?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 172 replies