Welcome to the Tiki Central 2.0 Beta. Read the announcement
Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop

Tiki Central / Tiki Carving

Tiki Carving Methodology

Pages: 1 2 3 117 replies

On 2004-10-09 10:09, Basement Kahuna wrote:
I just unloaded a six-foot log yesterday...my first new victim in 8 months...

WAHOO!!! :D

looking forward to it.

-Z

That's awesome, BK. I'm really glad we'll be seeing more ongoing work from you. I have to say, that Maori piece is really beyond belief. I was searching for tips on abalone one day & stumbled across it. That piece (along with a few of Benzart's) just seem to me to be the pinnacle of tiki carving skillz. Something to shoot for one day. I'd love to see your very first carving effort... I'm sure that would just inspire me to no end.

MUCH RESPECT!

Aaron

B

Yes I can't wait to see BK Carving again. I'm hoping to get back soon and I need some Inspiration and BK can do it. ALl you guys help, but BK will put the boot to my butt.

Boot to YOUR butt, Benzart? You gotta be kidding...I stared at your stuff with Paul at Hukilau and we both said "Man...that's just-plain-NUTS". You are an old master...We have all learned from you.

Log #2: I intended to document a step by step progression but left a huge time gap.

"CRACKS!"
Rule #1: If you must debark a fresh log don't forget to bring it in out of the sun!

Marking out the working design with chisel.

Seen here with Log #1. Still in the working stages... Lots of refinement needed. I'm having second thoughts on the mouth shape. More to follow!

This thread is addressing volumes of concerns that us beginners have (thanks BK). One of you veteran carvers should give us a step-by-step overview of proper stone-sharpening (ie: What angle do you hold the blade to the stone? Is there a type of stone that works best? How many passes on the stone should it take?).

[ Edited by: FREAKBEAR on 2004-10-13 12:07 ]

Doh! It's been a while. Have to throw out my socks tonight! Forgot to wear my flip flops!!

Hi! I'm brand new here and got a carve-on!Where does one find wood? I'm in Missouri...do I take my chain saw to the forest or do I have to drive to Florida to pick up some palms? Does old driftwood work? Which wood varieties work best? Is it possible to find mahogany? Thanks/Love

B

Time to bump this up again

Hey thanks for bringing this up to read again. Grat advice. Having never craved anything before with real hand tools, I really need pictures like this that show everything. I really think you guys should get togther and make a video. I know it would sell!
Thanks to you all!

O

Great Thread, love to see other people work. I am almost finished with my last effort, just some more sanding and staining and will document my next tiki to add to this thread.

[ Edited by: OnoTiki on 2005-01-27 01:24 ]

B

Ono, Can't wait to see this,, where izzit???
Bring it Onnn

Great stuff.

[ Edited by: sonofabeach on 2005-02-04 08:57 ]

[bump]

Well, folks...I'm baaaacckk. fixing to light into my first log in two years. Here's a few photos of stuff I use, and I'll post a step by step, hack job or no :) I work in the great outdoors now, no more workshop, and have my kit down to a fairly portable form, utilizing a couple of old 747 galley cases. In the first photo we see lots and lots of chisels. Suffice it to say, one does not need this many chisels to carve tikis. A lot of these are one trick ponies, so you won't use them often in the carving process. The second shot is a close-up of the row of chisels I most often use, which are old straight gouges, shallow gouges, and a few parting tools ("V" gouges) and spoon gouges. Many of these are old ones I have found in my antique travels, some are new. I prefer Henry Taylor chisels for the new ones. The third photo is of a wet wheel sharpener I use, which basically is like an electric wetstone that continually revolves through an oil bath. But any old hardware store wetstone will do. I'd have a piece of leather around usually to strop tools with. The fourth is templates, and lord, I use tons of them . A simple cut-out cardboard template is the best friend of symmetry. I make one for eyes, legs, and nose on a tiki. Simply trace off one side, flip it obverse and trace off the other side, and viola, you have instant carbon-copy symmetry from side to side. The fifth photo is where I'll be carving. Namely my backyard in Athens, Ga. Mosquito repellent in tow...One can spend a lot more time doing the Samoan Slap Dance than carving around here without it!

BK, there is a whole slew of carvers that you helped to inspire, posting some kickass pieces. Welcome back.

On 2005-09-04 10:20, Raffertiki wrote:
BK, there is a whole slew of carvers that you helped to inspire

Me being one of them, and this is the post I've been waiting for....
-KK

H

We got to chat a while with BK last night, and it felt gooood. The world's a better place with your carvings in it.

For those who aren't familiar with Basement Kahuna's work (I encourage anyone who's interested in carving to do a search to look for the scads & scads of his amazing work here on TC), here's a link to a piece that's close to my heart. I purchased this Meeting House piece last fall as part of the Hukilau auction, and it is the most spectacular piece in my collection. Any of you who came to our room during Oasis got to see it -- it was the subject of many loving gazes that weekend.

This thread has lots of step-by-step carving pics:
http://www.tikicentral.com/viewtopic.php?topic=6426&forum=7&vpost=61877

And here's the finished piece:

So glad you're back!

S

BK, so, what's the one chisel you use most? I have used my 1" flat more than anything. Once I get in tighter places, I use the smaller flats. Looking at that set up, I would assume you are using a gouge more than anything. Correct?

I think you are right on about antique store chisels. As long as they are in a shape you can sharpen, they are likely a great deal.

I bought the Irwin Marples which are currently made in Sheffield England and have been happy, They are moving production though, so get them now before they are not made in Sheffield.

Good to see you back at it!

8T

Yes it was nice to SHOUT with you and so many others late last night. We have missed your frequent contributions since you had to step aside for awhile. We knew you would be back and today is a great day for us as you return with gusto. Your many TC friends and fans welcome you back!
Now slap on the repellent and get busy you old chiseler.
Your friend, 8FT

B

Welcome Back BK, it's about time. We have missed you, but kept a spot open and warm for you. Can't wait to see some more BK treadures again!
HappyHappyHappy

Glad your Back, BK! Looking forward to seeing more of your amazing work!

Hi, guys and gals...you're all great friends..without the egging on, inspiration (from those here with real talent) :), and encouragement this site provided me way back when I'd have never become a carver. Tim, my favorite chisel is actually the old beat up Stanley straight chisel from the 50's with the handle wrapped in duct tape..cuts truer and keeps an edge better than any I've ever owned, and I bought it at a flea market for 50 cents! A close second is a Henry Taylor huge shallow fan gouge. It just does a lot of work fast. But it's getting hard to hone now (needs replacing). This log has some problems, namely some deep checks and fungus in a couple of spots, so it's a work-around job, but it should look good. Just a big, traditional Marquesan to re-cut my tiki teeth.

Humu, you're too much...

We have a pattern and the head is rounded! Vely, vely impoootaaant....know what you want to do before you start carving. Unless you are a direct descendent of Ku or a Paupua New Guinea native, it really pays to trace out a careful pattern on your log. Not only does it allow you to informedly work around imperfections in the wood (knots, rot, checks, etc.) but it will make your carving day a lot faster. Start with a pencil sketch and then when your sure trace your lines with a magic marker. Clair Chennault never sent his Flying Tigers into the air before he knew exactly how many Japs he was facing...his attrition rate by the end of WW2 was near thirty to one...Wierd juxtuposition, but, hey.. This log has a few problems, namely some checking, a couple of knots, and a 1 1/2 inch round rot spot which stops 1/2 inch short of where my eye line landed (shown in the close-up). It's also important to do a frantic Haka war dance around your log before you start carving (shown in last photo).

Alright BK!
Welcome Back!

BK- You have grass in your basement!! :)
What do the arrows mean on your drawing layout?
Thank you
Wes

The person who removes a mountain begins by carrying away small
stones.

-- Chinese proverb

[ Edited by: Moondance 2005-09-05 12:56 ]

B

Yep. Looks like BK is Baaaccck!
Hooorayyyy

Ben, you da monster... Moon, the arrows just remind me of the slope direction.

R

Glad to see you back. This post and a few others are what inspired me to try carving.

Cant wait to see more!!

C

appreciate the pics and tips BK...this one will be fun
to watch!

TG

B.K., I as everyone have been wondering when your spirit would return. Glad to see the gods are shining upon our graces and yours. Welcome back.

Guess you are going to have to change your name now, unless you can find another basement to carve in!

"Lawn Kahuna" or something another.......

Just take off your shoes and dig your toes into the grass and you'll be fine!

Let them swords fly, once again.

BK, i'll have to second (third, fourth, fifth) all the carvers who said that it was you who helped inspire them to carve; mainly you, Benz, and A-A were the drivers when I first logged on to this site. (That's not meant to slight anyone else here). it was your step-by-step photos that gave me the "AHA" moment as to how to carve.

welcome back!

Welcome back! I can't wait to see the progress on this piece.

Now I don't have to continually dig for your thread...

:) :) :)

(translation: happyhappyhappy)

Hey, welcome back BK.

This tiki has a very special client now! The most speshulest teeeki bar in the whole wide world, (at least my favorite one of all time, hands down, and one hopefully we'll all meet at in October!!).

Go get 'em BK...

And git your tail down to Hukilau this year.

I'm there, man...(thanking all that need to be thanked!!) Alright...here are some photos of the progress...A couple of shots of what I'm doing...Basically, I'm doing guide cuts and then angling in on them. The cuts on a Marquesan are mostly 90 degrees. I sink a duckbill chisel (something I made, just by grinding a flat chisel down to a 16th of an inch in a duckbill taper shape so it can sink very deep into a log) in 1 inch and a half (marking the depth on the chisel with a magic marker) and then cut the wood at an angle into it. There are a couple here of cutting Marquesan teeth as well...I have another specialized tool strictly for carving Marquesans I improvised called my "Chopper Popper" . What it is is basically a spatulate shaped chisel with a round tip that I ground down on a bench grinder. It fits the contour of a deep gouge that I use to do the teeth on all of my Marquesans..Just start the tooth line with trusty gouge and a rubber mallet (I want to be sort of gentle when carving these so I don't have too much wood taken out should I want to change the pitch of the tooth a wee bit). Once I am to the lip line, I just "pop" the tooth out with the improvised tool. Works kinda nice. Now it's time to start the sleepy eyes!!

B

Ahhh, bringing back the good ol' days. BK, it is SO Nice to have your workings grace the pages of "Creating Tiki" again. This looks like another Super BK tiki coming out of that log.
Did I say HappyHappyHappy?

You're too much, Ben. You raised the bar when you showed up here, man. We could all learn from you! I'd say any subsequent Book Of Tiki should include a chapter on you and your Tropicana tikis..Amazing stuff.

You are the king of step-by-steps, BK. Your posts are full of useful info - this latest batch "reminds" me of the old days before I started w/ TC. I've gone back to this old post more times than I can remember. Big Marq is going to look great.

A-A

This thread "Kicks Ass". Basement Kahuna thanks for creating this thread and taking the time to show your work step by step. All of your work is bitchen!!! The new Marqesian Tiki is coming along nicely!!!
Thanks Again,
Spermy

I have to also thank you. Seeing these pics sets of a light bulb in my head. You need to put this to print and sell it!!!

Cant wait to see more.

TG

Days of the old........

Looking good Mr. B.K.!

M

You are truly an inspiration. I'm glad to see you back sir. You are younger than most here and yet, you wield such masterful craft. Keep in more frequent touch man.

You inspire us. Truly!!!!

Many Mahaloz out to you brother!

McTiki

This tiki has eyes now! The sleepy eye look is achieved by carving a standard circular eye, drawing two lines around a half inch apart across the middle horizontally, and then sharply "rolling" the chisel down the edge of the eye away fron the edges of the lines. Once you have the lid surfaces even and balanced again you can divide the lids by just going across the middle with a very sharp palm gouge. Sorry no pictures of that process...forgot to record me wee little trademark...but easy to do. too.

[ Edited by: Basement Kahuna 2005-09-22 17:44 ]

Looking Good! The Mai-Kai will make the perfect home for this big Marq. Great to see you carving again, BK. I suppose you're just getting warmed up?...

Pretty much trying to cut my teeth again after two years...this tiki has a long way to go...working evenings on it..there'll be a rash of war clubs following shortly thereafter..

Hey...this is starting to look like a tiki...And who's shirt is this? The close ups are of cutting in the chest contour. A deep contour makes a tiki look really proud and fierce.

Pages: 1 2 3 117 replies